quick cannabutter question?

david8613

I made cannabutter before using the pressure cooker method and coconut oil worked out great. I am going to make more and I saw someone adding sunflower lecithin to the mix? whats the purpose of adding this ingredient? any other secret tips to make my cannabutter even better than last time.

david8613,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
Lecithin does 2 things. It helps homogenize (e.g. makes oil and water blend together). Add it to your recipe to help the oil mix thoroughly with the other ingredients in your recipe. DO NOT add it while you're making the butter if you use water. Otherwise, the oil and water will not separate later when you put it in the fridge.

Lecithin also aids in bioavailability. That means the effectiveness in which your body utilizes and absorbs substances (in this case, cannabanoids).

david8613

thank your for the reply, any brand better than other gonna order from amazon, and when do you had and how much do you add of the lecithin?

anyone ever try to add flavoring to butter? I am just curious.

BestBuds

The Dude
thank your for the reply, any brand better than other gonna order from amazon, and when do you had and how much do you add of the lecithin?

anyone ever try to add flavoring to butter? I am just curious.
I got my lecithin off Amazon. I doubt it matters much. Because it makes the cannabis more bioavailable, your edibles WILL be more potent than before. Just a heads up.

I use a magic butter machine and I have made butter with rosemary and garlic. It's is amazing on a steak and if it's medicated there are very few things as weird as eating a steak and slowly getting high from it. :brow:

david8613

I didn't even think about making a butter and using on steak that sound delish! I only did a very simple recipe and used coconut oil with a splash of brandy it was pretty good, then I would just put some in a hot tea, great for pain and sleep.

how do I add this lecithin to the coconut oil, ratio wise. any other good tips.

david8613,

BestBuds

The Dude
I didn't even think about making a butter and using on steak that sound delish! I only did a very simple recipe and used coconut oil with a splash of brandy it was pretty good, then I would just put some in a hot tea, great for pain and sleep.

how do I add this lecithin to the coconut oil, ratio wise. any other good tips.
Lot of decent recipes here: https://www.magicalbutter.com/recipe-category/base-recipes

The coconut oil recipe i use calls for 1 tbsp of lecithin per cup of oil. Also I believe it's a 1/4oz of bud per cup of oil too and you can adjust as needed. I do 3 cups of coconut oil 3 tbsp of Lecithin and a OZ of bud.

david8613

Oz of Already vaped bud correct, last time I just did it by eye. Lol it came out pretty good.

Thanks for link pretty cool. Do you rerecomme that machine? What is it exactly a mini pressure cooker?

Last edited:
david8613,

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
Mind if I use your thread to ask a similar question?

I sometimes see people suggesting to decarb avb. Is that not redundant? Or do you need to decarb at a different temperature? I thought that if you vaped the bud, it was already decarbed.

david8613

Mind if I use your thread to ask a similar question?

I sometimes see people suggesting to decarb avb. Is that not redundant? Or do you need to decarb at a different temperature? I thought that if you vaped the bud, it was already decarbed.

Sure no worries the more the merrier, plus I like sharing! I can answer your question. Once your herb is vaped it is decarbed, no need to do it again. Just use your avb in your recipe as is. Good luck!

rnartian

Sure no worries the more the merrier, plus I like sharing! I can answer your question. Once your herb is vaped it is decarbed, no need to do it again. Just use your avb in your recipe as is. Good luck!
Thank you! I was afraid I was doing it wrong :lol:

david8613

Thank you! I was afraid I was doing it wrong :lol:

You got it my friend, another tip look up vids on YouTube for pressure cooker cannabutter, so much more quicker, less messy, and alot less smell in your house. Hope this helps gonna make some butter soon just gotta order that sunflower lecithin to make it more potent.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
As long as we're on the subject of Coconut oil, I looked to pick up some myself for the ABV I have. However, I see refined, unrefined, virgin, extra-virgin, etc. Is one of those types (or a type I didn't even mention) better than the rest for making coconut canna-oil/butter? And if so, why?

david8613

It mentions it here. It has to with the flavor.
https://www.dudegrows.com/make-potent-cannabis-oil-aka-canna-butter/

In the above recipe he talks about freezing the cannabutter and then reheating before straining. Never heard this before.

Here is good tip I do to strain every drop out of the plant material, I take a big handheld lemon squeezer and put my balled up plant material while wrapped in the straining cloth and squeeze the heck out of it, much better than using a spoon or hands.

I saw this looks awesome.

Last edited:

Ramahs

It mentions it here. It has to with the flavor.
https://www.dudegrows.com/make-potent-cannabis-oil-aka-canna-butter/

In the above recipe he talks about freezing the cannabutter and then reheating before straining. Never heard this before.

Here is good tip I do to strain every drop out of the plant material, I take a big handheld lemon squeezer and put my balled up plant material while wrapped in the straining cloth and squeeze the heck out of it, much better than using a spoon or hands.

I saw this looks awesome.

Thanks! :tup:

Old_muel

I got a few tips. Always decarb (unless it's abv), use coconut oil, use lecithin, preheat oil for repeatable results, do 2 seperate heatings of 45 min each at 220f (oven is easiest), cover with foil when heating & cooling to prevent vaporization of actives, in between heatings freeze for 8 hrs to break down cell walls for more efficient extraction, adding additional 45 min heatings (up to 3) will result in byproducts of degradation of thc-cbn which causes more sedative effects, ie 2 45 min heatings = more racey heady effects, 4 or 5 45 min heatings = mega couchlock & sleepy effects. Tried & true & learned from Badkats thread here (be sure to check it out she explains in great detail why this method works the best & it's truly just an awe inspiring thread!!!) https://forum.grasscity.com/threads...v-glowing-hash-candy-canna-bombs-more.742831/

Last edited:

rnartian

I got a few tips. Always decarb (unless it's abv), use coconut oil, use lecithin, preheat oil for repeatable results, do 2 seperate heatings of 45 min each at 220f (oven is easiest), cover with foil when heating & cooling to prevent vaporization of actives, in between heatings freeze for 8 hrs to break down cell walls for more efficient extraction, adding additional 45 min heatings (up to 3) will result in byproducts of degradation of thc-cbn which causes more sedative effects, ie 2 45 min heatings = more racey heady effects, 4 or 5 45 min heatings = mega couchlock & sleepy effects. Tried & true & learned from Badkats thread here (be sure to check it out she explains in great detail why this method works the best & it's truly just an awe inspiring thread!!!) https://forum.grasscity.com/threads...v-glowing-hash-candy-canna-bombs-more.742831/
Thank you so so so much for that thread!
Man, grasscity really takes me back. Weed has come a long way, but I'll always look back fondly on us ~unproductive~ stoners and our generations of information and collective community we maintained online despite the prohibition of cannabis. Now millionaires start businesses so they can rake in the money from the same people who saw us as nobodies and addicts a few years prior :rofl:

Ramahs

Thank you so so so much for that thread!
Man, grasscity really takes me back. Weed has come a long way, but I'll always look back fondly on us ~unproductive~ stoners and our generations of information and collective community we maintained online despite the prohibition of cannabis. Now millionaires start businesses so they can rake in the money from the same people who saw us as nobodies and addicts a few years prior :rofl:

LoLz

I still miss overgrow.com

Alexis

As long as we're on the subject of Coconut oil, I looked to pick up some myself for the ABV I have. However, I see refined, unrefined, virgin, extra-virgin, etc. Is one of those types (or a type I didn't even mention) better than the rest for making coconut canna-oil/butter? And if so, why?
You just want the best, untampered, cold pressed, extra virgin. Maybe virgin is the same thing with cconut oil, I should know.

Ex V olive oil is superior to virgin.
But cold pressed, extra virgin should be the stuff.

Main thing is to get organic. Make sure of that. You will get the better product that way every time and it's really very affordable. Organic coconut oil is almost a commodity and like many organic items vs the non-organic forms.

Coconut oil is better than butter all day long too, much higher in saturated fats.

Edit- just watching the video above, and it basically confirmed my conclusions I remember drawing which stopped me considering the Magucal Butter Machine. The need to use a fair old bit of oilmand herb e very time, like at least an ounce, unless you want your oil to be mega diluted or splattered all up the side like matey's is.

I mean that in itself would do my OCD thinking that stuff didn't get extracted properly and I've got a scrape it all off to get my money's worth.

The Ardent/Nova decarboxylatiors. They do interests me more on the idea that that may produce a more Potent and effective product vs our caveman and somewhat haphazard oven decarbing.

Bit expensive enough, and I saw too many reviews on Amazon of units packing up prematurely and customer service being awkward or unresponsive plus the whole business of expensive international warranty returns.

Last edited:

david8613

I also hear that coconut oil not only absorbs more medication but coconut oil last longer than butter. It's also supposed to healthier.

I brought a magic butter machine today, it looks stupid simple and I love the set it and forget it concept. You can also do alchohol tinctures, I always avoided trying to do tinctures because flames and alcohol is dangerous, with magic butter machine I dont have to worry about that.

Ramahs

You just want the best, untampered, cold pressed, extra virgin. Maybe virgin is the same thing with cconut oil, I should know.

Ex V olive oil is superior to virgin.
But cold pressed, extra virgin should be the stuff.

Main thing is to get organic. Make sure of that. You will get the better product that way every time and it's really very affordable. Organic coconut oil is almost a commodity and like many organic items vs the non-organic forms.

Coconut oil is better than butter all day long too, much higher in saturated fats.

Edit- just watching the video above, and it basically confirmed my conclusions I remember drawing which stopped me considering the Magucal Butter Machine. The need to use a fair old bit of oilmand herb e very time, like at least an ounce, unless you want your oil to be mega diluted or splattered all up the side like matey's is.

I mean that in itself would do my OCD thinking that stuff didn't get extracted properly and I've got a scrape it all off to get my money's worth.

The Ardent/Nova decarboxylatiors. They do interests me more on the idea that that may produce a more Potent and effective product vs our caveman and somewhat haphazard oven decarbing.

Bit expensive enough, and I saw too many reviews on Amazon of units packing up prematurely and customer service being awkward or unresponsive plus the whole business of expensive international warranty returns.

Next time I'll get extra virgin. I just got refined at the grocery store.

It is organic, because that's pretty much all that was there. Though, I normally try to avoid buying anything that's advertised as organic or non-gmo.
I did forget to get lecithin, so I ordered some sunflower lecithin powder from Amazon. Should have that in a couple days.

Yeah, that's why I haven't bought the MBM. It looks like you have to make large batches, and I don't always want to do that.
The Nova, on the other hand, has been on my wish list for some time. I hadn't heard about the bad experiences you mentioned, but I'll look into it more now.

Ahh, damn it. I just realized that I have nothing to filter this first experimental batch of ABV canna oil/butter. :doh: Oh well, off to amazon.com land I go to order some cheesecloth....

I also hear that coconut oil not only absorbs more medication but coconut oil last longer than butter. It's also supposed to healthier.

I brought a magic butter machine today, it looks stupid simple and I love the set it and forget it concept. You can also do alchohol tinctures, I always avoided trying to do tinctures because flames and alcohol is dangerous, with magic butter machine I dont have to worry about that.

Yeah, much of what I've read suggests that it's more efficient at what we want it to do, and is definitely healthier than eating that much butter. At the same time, the small amounts that most people consume for their desired effect, the health benefit may be insignificant. The efficiency factor is more important to me.

I hope that you'll come back and let us know what you think of the MBM after you've gotten acquainted with it, please! :cheers:

Ramahs,
Reactions: Alexis

rnartian

You can also do alchohol tinctures, I always avoided trying to do tinctures because flames and alcohol is dangerous, with magic butter machine I dont have to worry about that.
I did NOT know it could do that. I'm a lot more interested now. I'm also worried about alcohol. I don't even use my reclaim out of fear of fucking it up.

Chandler

I do 3 cups of coconut oil 3 tbsp of Lecithin and a OZ of bud
Damn. That's a high oil to herb ratio! And you get potent product?

Most recipes I've seen over the years suggest the same 'use enough oil till it covers the decarbed herb completely'... In my experiences (n I just ran 14g King thunder fuck), 1 cup any oil covers a ground oz of decarbed herb. This was in my mind two days ago when I ran my experiment, I didn't measure before hand, usually do, but sure as shit. 14g KTF, just enough coconut oil to cover herbs, end product - slightly more than half cup (unmeasured to begin with). Nice end product.. had i used triple the amount of coconut oil, in this case a cup and a half. Would my end result be as potent?? I really can't say to the extent of dilution or not as I've always followed same rules with positive results... If i was back into sweets and or baking perhaps I'd attempt said dilution with quality herbs to experiment ..

Me I enjoy a tablespoon or whatever dosage in some coffee, hot chocolate, mint tea, chamomile tea etc.

david8613

When I did my first batch using pressure cooker method, I just eye balled it, and put coconut oil a couple inches over abv in a ball jar. When it was done a teaspoon was potent enough for me just right. Once I took a large tablespoon dose and i was dancing in my bed all night with headphones on! I even saw lights, it was crazy, Lol

Also if you want to do tinctures and avoid alcohol all together you can do it with olive oil instead. Personally I dont mind the alcohol and I believe the alcohol helps the meds enter body faster.

Last edited:

Alexis

Me I enjoy a tablespoon or whatever dosage in some coffee, hot chocolate, mint tea, chamomile tea etc.
Try spreading your canna-coconut oil on something like roasted sweet potato which has cooled down.

Spread with the goodness. Mmmmm! :drool:. It's like luxury gourmet canapes to me bursting with "umami" as they call it.

I actually just literally took my first canna coconut oil dose of the day we use lecithin for the extraction but when I take my dose, I weigh it on digital scales then I add lots of black pepper which significantly helps with utilisation and absorption of cannabinoids, a generous amount of natural salt which I'm addicted to, LOVE my sodium! :nod: Not table salt poison however, pure unrefined Redmond Real Salt is the best.

I mash the coconut oil and lecithin together until it emulsifies and forms a sort of a sorbet which I chill in the fridge to stop from melting.

But in the past I have taken my doses simply spread over a leftover piece of roasted sweet potato or even just baked potato and wow talk about yummy Scrumptious next level!

Add a little salt and pepper. So tasty.

Chandler

Personally I dont mind the alcohol and I believe the alcohol helps the meds enter body faster.
I don't mind the alcohol either, but my alcohol based tinctures never worked for me. For others yes. Even ordered alcohol based tinctures. Nothing

But in the past I have taken my doses simply spread over a leftover piece of roasted sweet potato or even just baked potato and wow talk about yummy Scrumptious next level!...
Not table salt poison however, pure unrefined Redmond Real Salt is the best.
Agreed. Redmond real salt is great. Himalayan pink salt is also great ..
I've gone through so much coconut oil n I've never actually cooked and ate nice food with it. That's my next experiment

Chandler,
Reactions: Alexis
Top Bottom