Quartz Banger Thread

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Any opinions on carb caps that work well with a ruby insert in a 25mm banger from @710Coils? Been experimenting with the Pi bubble cap, a big clunky directional, and a cheap Riptide knockoff. The pearls just don't want to move. But then again, is that so important? I noticed the Gordo site says their caps are made "to spin the oil, not pearls."

So far, the big thick clunky directional cap seems to work best for me. The Pi and fake Riptide worked fine with Shane's quartz inserts but they are a bit taller than the CG ruby insert (which I scored from a fellow FC member).

You want the pearls to move, but there's no need for them to be whipping around the insert by any means. Just some movement so they make contact with your concentrate imo.

I'm surprised your having difficulty with the Quartz Pi cap, mine moves my pearls around easily in my 30mm banger/ruby insert.

How clean is your insert? If it's dirty and has a buildup of resin, that will absolutely impede any movement.

Maybe try cleaning everything and see if that makes a difference?

710Coils

Manufacturer
@OyVape The pearls do not need to spin to work. They just need to move around some when the ball cap is rotated. The fast spin is more for looks in my opinion and all it ends up doing is bring the concentrates up to the neck of the banger

I agree it looks cool, but function wise. They just need to get saturated with heat and then moved around so they can stay coated in dabs. This will allow them to help vaporize the dab faster =)

Megaton

Thanks for the recommendation on the 'artistic' banger guys, just had a tiny rosin dab and this thing is waaaay better than my previous cheap cheap cheap banger. Way thicker, way more heat retention, all round all good.

The only con I can see so far is that it is slightly wonky, like it's not fully straight perhaps? But I didnt notice any pooling in any particular areas so cant be too bad.

Now I just need to work on how I load rosin into a banger for a cold start, this stuff is sticky!

MegaMan2k

Thanks for the recommendation on the 'artistic' banger guys, just had a tiny rosin dab and this thing is waaaay better than my previous cheap cheap cheap banger. Way thicker, way more heat retention, all round all good.

The only con I can see so far is that it is slightly wonky, like it's not fully straight perhaps? But I didnt notice any pooling in any particular areas so cant be too bad.

Now I just need to work on how I load rosin into a banger for a cold start, this stuff is sticky!

Ive been testing it through out the week aswell, some1 in here said that it had poor heat retention, i wouldnt fully agree with that at this point / have been getting fine rips both small and larger ones

however my e-nail setup is ofcourse much more efficient, but its also way more expensive so it shouldnt really be compared imo

MegaMan2k,

OyVape

Plus one for the intrepid RiO (Rig in One)!

Spinning the pearls in its round bottom banger really helps get the oil off the walls. The faster they spin, the higher up the walls they “clean” the banger. I don’t get dabs in the neck of the banger because I use a cheapo self-spinning cap that partially covers the opening—and also seems to increase the seal and the vacuum effect when I inhale.

OyVape,
Reactions: 710Coils

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I need to upgrade my setup, it was first generation #365/500.
I still mostly use the Core banger but it is not my fav anymore because it is difficult to Qtip.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: LesPlenty

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Was curious, how many of you all are using Round Bottom bangers?

I've had a few from Stashe and was considering trying something different...
OG Quartz recently caught my eye [I have no idea their cost], but would love to hear about other options.

Also considering an ESB as I like their bell bottom shape, but it is not a full round-bottom and I am a bit reluctant to drop that kinda coin.
I have a Titty banger from ESB and it is excellent quality. It falls in his category of "long jawn," these have 25% deeper cups, a higher intake hole location on the cup, and are stretched forward as well. They are perfect for getting heat further away from your glass. My Titty banger has traditional flat walls, versus the bell shape ESB is known for.

FlyingLow,

Gn0sis

Was curious, how many of you all are using Round Bottom bangers?

I've had a few from Stashe and was considering trying something different...
OG Quartz recently caught my eye [I have no idea their cost], but would love to hear about other options.

Also considering an ESB as I like their bell bottom shape, but it is not a full round-bottom and I am a bit reluctant to drop that kinda coin.
I have a Titty banger from ESB and it is excellent quality. It falls in his category of "long jawn," these have 25% deeper cups, a higher intake hole location on the cup, and are stretched forward as well. They are perfect for getting heat further away from your glass. My Titty banger has traditional flat walls, versus the bell shape ESB is known for.
they're meh.

stick to the Toro Grail, Grasslab banger or Highlyeducated Gavel. those are best from everything i tried. toro being #1

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I nearly always cold start when not using my enail, and just LOVE how well round bottoms keep my oil pooling right above the hot zone [and not climbing the walls]. This really lets me get everything out of it with 2-3 draws and 1 midway partial reheat. I love the flavors of a cold start and I also really appreciate how easy it is on all my bangers- no scorching, cleaning is easy, no Chazz and they stay in use much longer... I have bangers 1+ year old, receiving tons of use and still look brand new.

I also tend to prefer directional bubble caps over my bubble spinner caps with these bangers.

I too wonder why they have not gained traction with more users... I am personally finding it harder to source really high quality round bottoms on the cheap- bad welds, wobbly joints, even got one last week shipped to me that was cracked on the bucket. Perhaps I've just had tough luck, but I am hoping to source one I like. That OG was/is on my radar, I am curious why @Gn0sis is not a fan.

SixStringToker

Naked member
@FlyingLow Your post sums up my feelings on it perfectly. I've been loving my round-bottom bangers with long directional bubble caps for cold-start dabs. I do also get good results with spinner caps with two of my thicker round-bottom bangers; the thinner one is more fussy and I have to pretty much nail the timing to avoid robot farts.

This is my current setup:
50860045503_e0c6ca746e_o.jpg

The oil beads up at the bottom of the banger and just sorta shivers as it rapidly shrinks away. Most of the time, I don't even have to chase any remnants with the cap - the banger is dry.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
It really does make it easy, no chasing at all!

That is one clean fuckin setup! Who makes that banger? Looks like perfection! That transition to the neck is so clean and wide open.

FlyingLow,

SixStringToker

Naked member
That is one clean fuckin setup! Who makes that banger?
I bought it quite a while ago with a number of others. I do remember it being one of the more expensive bangers that I purchased at the time, but I can't remember where it's from.

I just received Sneaky Pete's Cold Start Micro Dose Dab Kit:

3a_e2f0a68c-9710-4344-ae05-761b2d80403c.jpg

I'm not impressed. The build quality is some of the worst that I've seen; the joint looks mangled and the bell is misshapen. While the side walls are super-thick, the bottom is so thin (unlike the one in the photo) that my oil melts the second the torch hits it. Since the bottom flashes hot almost instantly and the sides take significantly longer to get to temperature, the liquid oil practically leaps up the sides.

This one is definitely not for me!

Last edited:
SixStringToker,
Reactions: FlyingLow

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
It sounds like, unfortunately, we have to spend serious cash to get a quality round-bottom setup right now.

Ramahs,
I'm not sure I understand the $200 range bangers. How are they different than this $22 one I use? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TYKLKRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see the better ones are thicker. This relates to heating time and retention. I can understand that much. But, heating faster or slower and cooling faster or slower is more "choice" than "better or worse", isn't it?

I'm new to bangers so please excuse my lack of understanding. Thanks

Peace.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Have any of you tried auto-spinning (hands-free whilst drawing) a pearl in a round bottom banger by setting a ball cap and having it swoop into the pool on each revolution...? I saw a few youpube vids of this a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty cool... I'll try to find 'em.

What about just throwing a reg or deep-dish coil on a round bottom banger just to see what happens.... anyone...? I would if I had one (and it fit somewhat properly), why not?

Out of the 3 caps I use (plus 2 new channel caps) nothing produces vapor close to the 710Coils Ball Cap... it's night & day really.

Last edited:
Bologna,
Reactions: 710Coils

SixStringToker

Naked member
You can get a Long Island round bottom for around $100.

Lol. I just looked at the Long Island website, noticed the little glass "display case" and vaguely recalled receiving a little glass container like that with a banger in it and thinking "Well, that seems a bit wasteful". just tossed it on a shelf without noticing that it has a little hole in the lid:

50867115257_1b82890d80_o.jpg

So @FlyingLow, to answer your question, the banger you were asking about is this one:

Quartz Rounded Bottom Banger Clear - Beveled Edge - 10mm or 14mm

SixStringToker

Naked member
I'm not sure I understand the $200 range bangers. How are they different than this $22 one I use?
With premium bangers, at least those from known sources, you're almost always getting higher quality (and traceable) quartz. The quality of the craftsmanship will almost always be higher, too, which can affect not just the aesthetics but also the longevity and functionality of the banger. That quality will also be consistent from banger to banger while cheap bangers from the same manufacturer can vary wildly.

Look at the point where the stem/straw joins the body in the photos immediately above compared to your banger. There's a smooth "welded" transition instead of an abrupt joint. This looks really slick, but it also makes the piece much less likely to break from incidents that'd instantly break a lesser banger right there at the joint. It also has increased airflow.

All of that is not to say that you can't get a well functioning banger for a low price, but finding one is much more of a crapshoot.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Look at the point where the stem/straw joins the body in the photos immediately above compared to your banger. There's a smooth "welded" transition instead of an abrupt joint. This looks really slick, but it also makes the piece much less likely to break from incidents that'd instantly break a lesser banger right there at the joint. It also has increased airflow.

All of that is not to say that you can't get a well functioning banger for a low price, but finding one is much more of a crapshoot.
"Welded" like this $19 one...? https://www.dhgate.com/product/xl-xxl-double-walls-quartz-banger-carb-cap/393805838.html

Not to say I don't agree with pretty much everything in your post... I do. I have 2 of these and while not terrible they are nowhere near equal to the 710Coils deep-dishes (2) that I'm back to using most of the time, and those are still considered to be cheap by many. Not in any way except maybe swab-ability, airflow and bottom line, are they really worth it except maybe as backup.

Last edited:

SixStringToker

Naked member
Today's haul includes a couple of bangers. I'll give them a workout later tonight. I did give the Orion a quick spin and it performed well but it's so freakin' small... I can't torch it with my usual method without also blasting my rig. :D

50867553662_2aaa687283_o.jpg

SixStringToker,

Enialis

Any opinions on carb caps that work well with a ruby insert in a 25mm banger from @710Coils? Been experimenting with the Pi bubble cap, a big clunky directional, and a cheap Riptide knockoff. The pearls just don't want to move. But then again, is that so important? I noticed the Gordo site says their caps are made "to spin the oil, not pearls."

So far, the big thick clunky directional cap seems to work best for me. The Pi and fake Riptide worked fine with Shane's quartz inserts but they are a bit taller than the CG ruby insert (which I scored from a fellow FC member).
Did you ever solve your carb cap issue? I'm having similar issues with the pi cap not moving pearls at all and having to much airflow so I'm not getting consistent vaporization. Can't find anyone else with a similar problem.

Enialis,
Top Bottom