Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

ILoveRadiohead!

I haven't tried loading the tube with kief yet but I usually finish off a bowl in 2-3 draws normally. Most often I get 1 really huge draw, deep of vapor, a second draw of decent size, and a very small third wisp if anything is left after the second.

Time wise the draws last around 15 seconds, maybe I should experiment with the shorter draws method for fun. Or maybe a finer grind.

Here is a photo of some ABV to get an idea of the herb consistency that I have been using so far.

IMG_1423.jpg

//edit: better angle and exposure

IMG_1437.jpg

ILoveRadiohead!,

ILoveRadiohead!

stickstones said:
Sometimes I hit that thing and I know I am getting vapor, but if I hold it in long enough not much comes out...makes me happy thinking I am absorbing mos to fit!
I was wondering about this too. I've read that with smoke you absorb all the "good stuff" in 5-7 seconds of holding your breath and anything longer just absorbs toxins. I'd assume vapor is made up of only the "good stuff" so wouldn't it make sense to not exhale any vapor and thus just hold it in till it all condenses in your lungs?

ILoveRadiohead!,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Even though there is less "bad stuff" in vapor, the wand hash is super sticky and I wonder if holding it in until it condenses he vapor in the lungs into that sticky stuff...just food for thought. I usually just take in the vape and exhale, it gets me where I want :D

ILR, my ABV from my PD is significantly darker than yours. Not complaining, but I like my vapor on the lighter side, although now that it is the winter, my PD is running a tad cooler.

stonemonkey55,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
the resin isnt water soluble, it generally comes loose when you cough, unlike a lot of the tars that just stick there

at least thats what ive read, and my experience is that holding it for longer periods doesnt have a negative impact on my lung's health

Acolyte of Zinglon,

ILoveRadiohead!

stonemonkey55 said:
ILR, my ABV from my PD is significantly darker than yours. Not complaining, but I like my vapor on the lighter side, although now that it is the winter, my PD is running a tad cooler.
Initially I didn't expect for there to be as much green left to the ABV and wondered if the temp was on the low side. However it seems to be delivering very potent hits of a cerebral quality so it must be "in the zone".

ILoveRadiohead!,

max

Out to lunch
ILoveRadiohead! said:
I was wondering about this too. I've read that with smoke you absorb all the "good stuff" in 5-7 seconds of holding your breath and anything longer just absorbs toxins. I'd assume vapor is made up of only the "good stuff" so wouldn't it make sense to not exhale any vapor and thus just hold it in till it all condenses in your lungs?
A study done by the University of Leiden said that, unlike with smoke, you can lose 30-40% of the 'good stuff' when you exhale vapor. Since there's a distinct difference between the composition of smoke and vapor, it's makes sense that the body absorbs THC from vapor more slowly.

stonemonkey55 said:
the wand hash is super sticky and I wonder if holding it in until it condenses he vapor in the lungs into that sticky stuff...just food for thought.
Wand hash is just condensed vapor, so I would think that re-vaporizing it would give the same results as the initial vaping.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Do you have that study on hand?

I would think smoke would take longer to absorb, since our lungs are designed for gases, they are easily processed.

Interesting stuff nonetheless.

SpiralArchitect,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
also consider that there is a higher percentage of the total volume of vapor that is composed of cannabinoids, your lungs may still absorb at the same rate, but vapor just has more to absorb

also there is less trauma to the tissue of the lungs from holding vapor, as well as the lack of the aforementioned water soluble tars and carcinogens that just stick to the walls of your lungs from smoking

Acolyte of Zinglon,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Wand hash is just condensed vapor, so I would think that re-vaporizing it would give the same results as the initial vaping.
Sorry, I needed to clarify. I meant when the vapor condenses (as opposed to vaping wand hash), ie in the wand or the hose, do you think it also condenses in your lungs when you hold it in there longer? My fear is that wand hash is collecting in my lungs when I hold in vapor too long. Unless it is something that is easily removed by our lungs versus something like tar (as AofZ pointed out)

stonemonkey55,

cannabananabis

Hey, I'm new to both this forum and vaporizing, and have I've been seriously considering getting the purple-days as of late. Being a college student I don't have a lot of money, so for me $150 is relatively significant amount of money to have disappear. My reasoning for this is that the amount I'll save will far outweigh the amount I spend on this, from what I've read. I've only used one vaporizer, a volcano (loved it, but not interactive enough), and my brother has used 4, saying the only that actually got him high was the volcano. Other than that I've only smoked, and I smoke at least once a day.

As a result, I'm a little apprehensive of the claim that you can smoke bowls of 2-4+ hits out of .01-.02 grams. This is so miniscule of an amount of weed, I must ask how many of these bowls does it take you to get high usually? Another question I have is regarding use with other people. I usually smoke by myself, but of course love smokin it up with friends. When I saw what came in the package, my first thought was to just use multiple tubes at once, which leads to the question of how long does it take to pack one of these bowls? If I'm vaping with friends, I might not want to spend an hour just packing and vaping, packing and vaping.

I deeply appreciate the fact that through this forum I'm able to speak not only with those who've used it, but with the creators themselves of this vaporizer, and I look forward to your response.

cannabananabis,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Hey cannabanabis,

You might want to check out 2 videos I made, both the video review and 'demo' video.

It really depends on the quality of your product and your tolerance to say how many bowls it takes to get high.

From baseline, 1 will get me pretty buzzing. I have a high tolerance, and usually vape high grade. 2 and I am stoned. 3+ and I'm pretty well vaked.

This thing has what some call 'little big bowl syndrome' (or something to that effect) where it's suprising the high that is produced from such small doses.

SpiralArchitect,

bongoman

cannabananabis, it's true what they say about the efficiency.

I vaporise daily and typically only ever have one bowl at a time. I might have one bowl mid-afternoon and another couple spread out over the evening. Most of these times I'm wanting to stay pretty functional but I'm definitely positively affected by one bowl. Heck, sometimes I even pack a smaller bowl as I just want one hit.

Packing the bowl is a quick process assuming you have ground weed on hand. Check out Spiral's latest video and you can see him pack a bowl and I think Tom has a packing video as well.

I use the 'straw' method and takes all of a couple of seconds to have a bowl packed and lightly tamped ready to go.

You can always grab another couple of tubes from Tom if/when you order so everyone has one and can pack as the PD comes around.

I really don't think you'd regret purchasing the PD from how you describe your circumstances.

You will ultimately save the purchase price on weed because of the efficency.

bongoman,

max

Out to lunch
Welcome canna. First-the PD is an excellent choice. Can't get any more efficient and it's a nice diffuser too. Second-don't pay any attention to your brother. ;) The Vocano has nothing special to make it produce more or better vapor vs. many other models. If the other 3 vapes he tried were direct draw/whip models, it's quite possible his technique was off. You can get good vapor from a homemade lightbulb vape if you do it right.

the claim that you can smoke bowls of 2-4+ hits out of .01-.02 grams.
Actually it's more like .02-.03g. I posted the measurement after repeatedly loading ten bowls (about 3 different types of herb) and weighing that amount on a top quality scale accurate to .01g. The average bowl came to .025g. I don't know where you got .01. You can certainly get a good hit from that, but it's less than half the normal bowl. As far as the number of hits, it depends on the size of the hit, the consistency of the load-how dry and how finely ground. Obviously dryness and particle size can make for a huge variance in the number of hits. I nearly always get 3-4 good hits, but for somone else that could be only 2. For a light hitter it could be 5-7 :shrug:

I just packed a bowl, starting from picking up the tube and herb, in about 5 sec. Of course I've had some practice-pretty much daily for 8 months. ;) As for your friends, let 'em load their own tubes.

We've got a lot of experienced vaporists here. Quite a few, myself included, own multiple vapes, some considerably more costly than the PD, yet for many of us, the PD would be 'it' if we could only keep one. If you haven't read the thread, you should. It's long, but well worth the reading.

max,

Beezleb

If bowl size is an issue for you would consider a whip vaporizer like the warez 3g and Da Buddha vaporizer.

If you live in the dorms the PD also has the benefit of being a bit more discrete than a whip. My best advice is to select a vaporizer that best meets your style and needs.

The PD is efficient but so are the vaporizers I mentioned. While the PD is known for efficiency much of the abv that is shown is not really what I would call spent but this is possibly because the people who took the pics are deliberately not vaping the material to its capacity in order to reuse the abv more effectively later which is another benefit to vaping.

The PD is exceptionally durable and I consider it a great choice. The only issue I see with it is using it an group session but you got the idea of using all the stems. This is what I recommend doing and it should be fine.

I recommend getting a grinder with a kief catcher to spice up those mids since wand hash is not really a consideration with the PD compared to most whip vapes but the trade off is wand hash is created by condensed vapor on glass and since the PD does not use a whip and wand so there is little to no condensation so no vapor is transferred through condensation on the glass and you inhale it all.

With a whip vape I recommend rotating wand hash and if you use a grinder with kief catcher, kief to spice up those small bowls which is really useful if you are stuck with mids.

As far as savings goes. It havent seen it. I use about the same but I get far much more out of it than compared to smoking. Its win win in my opinion. If you use less, rock on and if you use the same but get higher from it, rock on.

Good luck in your selection and I agree the PD is a great choice that really seems to fit your situation. I just recommend that you look into the different varieties of vapes from whip, multiuse, portables and single load vapes like the pd. They are all different and have different pluses and minuses.

Beezleb,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
as far as i know, im the only one here who actually does own only the pd, and i must tell you, im very satisfied with it
there is a bit of a learning curve to really master, but for the most part, its very intuitive to use and easy to get really good hits from the pd

im also in your situation as a college student on an extremely limited budget, let me yell you, an eigth lasts at least 2.5-3 weeks, sometimes a full month and i vape nearly every day of the week
usually my dose is 1 pd bowl every 1.5-2 hourrs, it get really ripped ill vape 3 in one hour though, thats getting into the very high-up more psychedelic effects that i notice in weed

ive had this since mid november, and i havent had one regret in buying it (not usual for me, i usually have buyers remorse even after spending $10-15, i am a very "frugal" person ;) ) tom and pam are just good people, with awesome vibes, you couldnt find a product that is so well designed, and made with so much love anywhere else

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Beelzleb said:
The PD is efficient but so are the vaporizers I mentioned.
I own a whip vape (SSV) as well as a PD. It's true that the SSV is efficient in its own right, but compared to the PD it loses in that department. I'd wager that most other members who own a PD and whip vape would agree.

While the PD is known for efficiency much of the abv that is shown is not really what I would call spent but this is possibly because the people who took the pics are deliberately not vaping the material to its capacity.
Going solely by pictures is pretty sketchy-- lighting etc. Personally I like fresh vapor and reload often (maybe it was my pic you saw :D), but with the right technique the PD can milk just about everything out, leaving the herb very dark brown. Definitely won't get as hot as a vape that is capable of combustion, but it's certainly not wasteful in that regard.

since wand hash is not really a consideration with the PD compared to most whip vapes
They're not magnets like glass but believe it or not I've made some quick wash with PD tubes. ;)

Sorry if you think I'm a PD fanboy, Beezleb, but you have to admit I do have some frame of reference, owning it and other vapes. Plus this is the PD thread after all. :)

You are definitely right though, one should do ample research before buying their first vape.
--------------

@cannabananabis If efficiency is your #1 priority, you're looking at the right vape. I say that from personal experience as well as from what I've read in posts here from others who own multiple vapes.

I'm a little apprehensive of the claim that you can smoke bowls of 2-4+ hits out of .01-.02 grams.
Can't blame ya there, it's hard to believe (~0.025g). It ain't smoke though. :p

how many of these bowls does it take you to get high usually?
Buzzin' after 1.

how long does it take to pack one of these bowls
Here's a pro. Under 5 seconds on average for me.

Come to think of it, I should have just posted some videos instead of typing all this out. :\

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Purple-Days#Videos Check the Videos section at the bottom of the page.

vtac,

cannabananabis

Thanks for the helpful answers, they've kind of confirmed exactly what I'll expect from this. I'd already been researching before this and thought it was for me, but I guess I kind of needed to hear these answers directly from people.

I noticed though, that they're all sold out on the original site, and I've only found them on one other, vapenow.com. Has anyone ordered from this site, and if so could you share your opinions on it?

I also have to admit that the billy bowl on the pd site (and spiral's video) also caught my eye, the more I think about it the more I want one ha. I don't think I'll order one of these just yet, but is there shipping from the pd site on individual accessories such as these?

cannabananabis,

Purple-Days

Welcome to the forum cannabananabis, and thanks for your interest in a PD. 'Buy' buttons should go back up by mid-week. Billy-Bowls too.

I have never measured the loads and will have to take others words as true, but I am a bit amazed by the numbers myself. Whatever vape you choose, it is certainly going to stretch your budget short term, but I believe pay you back in the end with less consumption or more high, up to you.

About spent color. The starting color can be a factor. However... Other factors too... But most important is temperature IMO.

Once you are in the vapor zone you are releasing the goods. Increasing the temperature further does a lot of things, including making the duff a darker color. Others may question this, but IMO color is more an indicator of the temperature of the convective airflow, than degree of spent-ness.

What I mean is: material vaped at 375-380F will be lighter than the same material vaped at 395-400F when both loads are equally spent. This is an opinion, but it is based on a year of living with a Super-Vapezilla with precise digital temp control. Lots of things I disliked about that vape but it was super precise with regards to temperature and taught me a lot about what temperature I was looking for.

I like the visual aids idea VTAC and didn't notice the vids were at the bottom of the Wiki, very cool cause I was trying to locate that other Spiral vid in all these pages. Found your Gonzo Vapor Rings. Fun stuff.

College + Weed = well you know what the OG is gonna say. NOT.

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
didn't notice the vids were at the bottom of the Wiki
Just added them before I posted that. It's a constantly changing article. :) Is ~190C about right (on the wiki)? I just guesstimated from the vapor zone graphic on your site.

vtac,

Purple-Days

I'de have to get a chart, you know us backwards Yanks can't handle furin temperatures...

Here is is in F... based on the Super-Vapezilla read-out.

First, vapor is a general term, Water vapor (212F and 100C) appears well before THC vapor (356F ?), so going by milky-ness is another possibly deceptive path.

I saw effect at low temps, around 360 or so, but the 'boil-off' was slow and took longer to achieve the results I was after. The taste at lower temps is of course better, The lower the temp the better the taste IMO.

Higher temps in the 395-400F range made a big difference in the speed of the 'boil-off' but the flavor was negatively affected. I think 410 was about the upper limit of what I think of as vapor, You start releasing things that are unpleasant. Not yet combustion at all, but unpleasantness got worse exponentialy after 400F.

So optimum temps IMO are high enough to get a good 'boil-off' (above 375f) but low enough (under 390F) that flavor is still good. These numbers are based on the SuperVzilla's readout and may not be completely accurate, but they gave me an idea of the narrow range of what I considered good vapor.

Sorta what lead us to go back to the A-Zap, It was in the zone. The Eterra fellow hit it right so long ago. The A-Zap copied him. They had the temperature right, but didn't have the complex geometry to release that heat into the airstream for an extended time frames.

Again these numbers may not be exactly accurate, but I think they are pretty close. Best guess-timate 375-380F. Or 190 - 193C

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
http://www.google.com/search?q=380f+in+c

193.333333C or 466.483333 kelvin if you prefer.

Good guesstimates. :D

The PD's temp is perfect imho. I had a can cozy around it for a couple days and didn't like the slightly increased temp. It didn't scorch, but just a little too brown for my liking.

vtac,

Purple-Days

Yeah, a great guess, leave it, I modified that last post a little to 375-380 or 190-193C , that's the best I can guess.

And your mention of the can cozy is in line with my ideas on color, temp and flavor. Once you are 'in the zone', with a good ''boil-off' rate, going higher is a waste.

Pammy's little laminate unit, made out of those harder, denser woods transmits more heat to the environment (less insulation) and she loves it. Too slow for me, I'm guessing hers is in the 365-370 range. Works fine and does deliver better flavor, but the trade off is more time required to deliver the meds.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom