Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Vitolo

Vaporist
Hi Tom.
I also was very excited to see your post!
My PD still works (All of my logs do!).
Positive thoughts go to you and Pammy.
By now you've likely begun using a vibrating device (artificial larynx) for communication, or else you maybe have mastered
Esophageal Speech or another method to communicate.
Many just write notes.
May comfort , and joy follow you both around.
I will continue to keep the two of you in mind!

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Ten years doesn't seem to last as long as it used to. Really nice to hear from you Tom. Thanks for helping create so many good memories and hazy days. The vapor enthusiast community owes a lot to you and Pammy and your little wooden marvels. I often think to the story you told about the summer you spent with Neil Young's Harvest stuck in your truck's 8 track.

PD Land

Hey friends,
MacBill , like you said nobody gets out alive . But I am doing quite well . Surgery was drastic , radiation sucked , but IF they got it all I'm "OK for another 10 years" , just have to live with it .
JeffP , hey , how's the Rat Race ? Hope you are well .
Vitolo , good to hear you're still kicking . No , I can't use such a device . My mouth and nose are not connected to my airway . Permanently MUTE . (to the relief of many , I'm sure) .
VTAC , thanks for all the support, of course we could never have done it without you .
Adobewan , WolfTom and others thanks for the well wishes .

Well , the PD has been retired , around here , for a while now . I just can't create the needed suction .
Being in Washington I can get 95%+ cannabinoid cartridges and a stubby Novex battery pack... easier draw .

Pammy uses carts too , but a friend bought her a PAX vape and she prefers that . Certainly not as efficient as a PD , but the wireless convenience and flavor ... No , I can't use the PAX either . I miss vaping flower .

Again, thanks for all your kind words folks.

tonuzzi

Spoon Dogg
"Sadly, we have decided to leave FC and never return.

At the same time we have had a chance to re-evaluate our
position as a vaporizer manufacturer.
Many factors went into the decision.
It is in the best interest, of our family, to pursue other avenues." - Late December 2011

10 years ago ... a long time ... long enough for the haters to let it go , we will see ...

We just got back from camping near Port Orford , birthplace of the PD .
Nostalgia makes me write at this time, I guess .

No we will never go back into the Purple-Days business .
Wanted to come back and say high , to all the friends we made in those four years .
Most have probably moved on but ... hey anyway .

So, Pammy and I are both still alive .
We left El Mirage , AZ in 2016 .
We live in a rural Washington town .
40 miles to a McDonalds , rural ...

Pammy struggles with chronic health issues , but gets by somehow .
Her health was a big concern back in 2011, still is.

I saw emergency tracheostomy surgery last year, followed by total laryngectomy .
Stage 4 Cancer ,,,
Split me ear to ear and removed voice box , 24 lymph nodes , part of the thyroid .
I breathe thru a tube stuck in a hole in my neck , no voice at all .

So maybe that's another reason to come here and say say hi . No vocal chords required .
Anyway hello to all our friends. Best regards , always .
Great to hear from you Tom,
I still have my PD from 2010, and she still works!

tonuzzi,
Reactions: Vitolo

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I still have one of the original first run PDs with the little LED light indicator that you fixed up for me years ago, and it works beautifully to this day.
I'm sorry to hear about your health challenges and wish you and Pammy only the best.
It feels great to type to you here again.
I'm at retirement age now so I have the basic old people windfalls - social security, pension, etc.
I have a great cohabitation partner; we've huddled together through the last two years of pandemic without much friction
in my small city apartment.
My daughter is now a fully functioning young adult working as a medical budtender in south florida; it's the industry she
wants to grow in.
Please say hi to Pammy for me, Tom.

PD Land

Hey , Tonuzi . Hey , Jolly .
Vitolo, of course your work in the Medical Community makes you aware of some high tech solutions , like the 'vibrating device (artificial larynx)' . Even if I could use one , at about $500 for the equivalent of rechargable dildo (what a ripoff ! ) ... anyway if you don't know about 'Boogie Boards' check them out .

Wow , jeffp , seems you need to go visit and get some sunshine. So glad you made it, I remember ...
Ah , old people windfalls ... us too , thankfully . It was an uphill battle , but we made it .

After PD , I mostly fell back on my forklift skills . Yeah , driving a forklift , too old for commercial carpentry .

Very few opportunities in AZ (for me) and those 'old people' windfalls looming (and the market being right) we sold our house and started over . Bought an unlivable 1902 house (cheap) and put my skills and sweat into it . Hard work ... No mortgage is pretty sweet in old age . Small , but warm and dry .

Did anybody ever develop a ceramic PD type vape ? Toward the end I was working on one . I made molds and fired several prototypes to guage shrinkage during firings . Was actually getting quite close to a final product . Colorful glazes were going to be on offer . But ...

Vitolo

Vaporist
Did anybody ever develop a ceramic PD type vape?
For a good long time Rick made Ceramic Zaps.. Nickname was RockZaps.
As you know already, AromaZap is no more.
The thread is at https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/aromazap-myrtlezap-ceramicrockzap.818/post-1012575
Pictures of my personal collection of these... acquired to distribute in the community can be seen at: https://vaporist.wordpress.com/category/log-vapes/
It is really a great gift to us to see you posting.
What it is, is hearing from family that has been on another path, that came home.
Nice that you're home.

JollyGreenGiant

Any suggestions on where I can buy some more stems? I'd like to put my PD back in use - but I definitely need to replace the stems

JollyGreenGiant,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
@Tom and Pammy Days.

Wow. 10 years. So glad to get an update from you. Actually had my Ash PD in hand today (no logo) one of the few if not only ones you made without the logo.

Appreciate you and Pammy and wish you both the best in health and life in the future. Cheers.

PD Land

Cheers back at you , IAmKrazy2 .
Ash ... yeah that brings up the wood factor . I really enjoyed the different woods , but... Variable density , sustainability , availability of 3" stock , other factors . . .
The dust, even with good dust collection was causing Pammy problems and boring some woods created smoke (even worse for her) . I was looking for an alternate medium . And honestly looking for something different to occupy my mind . I was pretty bored (pun intended) .

No Vitolo ... Not talking about a cement liner inside of a wooden vape .

I was working on a food grade , ceramic bodied , dead air space insulated vape . Something different , something with colorful glazes and customizable form factor , textures , high relief designs . Something cool to the touch , easy to clean . Anyway thought I would ask , it seemed a logical body developement .
Same for stems . Smooth clean 'coffee cup' grade ceramics .

I went through about 10 kilos of clay , doing bisque firings . Never got around to glazes (the easy part) , just playing around mostly to see if I could do it . Some interesting challenges , some fails , I was getting close , but just for fun .

BTW PD stems were 9/32" Stainless Steel (if somebody can't find the proper measuring tools) .

PDLand is down to two dogs now . Both are Phoenix rescue animals . Kyra must be 15 or 16 years old and finally made it to 'Top Dog' status . Little Coco Bean is still the happiest dog on earth . Our black Scotty , Kali , left us just before Christmas with the cancer . She was a great dog .

Speaking of the cancer , anybody still smoking cigarettes can take a word of caution from me , stop it . 25 years of 2 packs a day did me no good at all . Yes , I quit 25 years, didn't seem to help ; ) , but your mileage may vary . Sorta puzzles the doctors , but I'm pretty convinced the cause was obvious (along with family history and occupational exposures) . (BTW , HPV negative , I didn't even know what that was...)

Best regards to all,
Tom and Pammy

PD Land

Hey friends,
It's been 6 months since my last post.
I'm still alive . Given the 50/50 odds they gave me , I'm happy to still be kicking it . BUT . . .
Wasting our time in Eastern Washington seemed sorta dumb .
Sitting around watching TV waiting on the Reaper ...
Groundhog Day ...
except Endicott had less to do than Punxsutawney (been there) .

So , with no obligations , or family , we decided to move back where we were happiest .
Yep , back to PD Land (Southern Oregon Coast) where Purple-Days started .

$35 ounces , $70 Top shelf if you know where to shop . $20 carts* , 50mg gummies* are 5 for $20 . $25 clones ...
Weed Heaven !
* I am limited to carts and Gummies . The PD and the PAX take way too much suction for me . .

Wow the world has changed , wish some of my old friends were still here to see a dispensary .
Some of you oldies may remember John Belushi RIP , his brother Jim is a Pot Farmer in Oregon nowadays .
Pammy ran into some of his weed , his 'Private Vault' stuff a while back , thumbs up from Pammy (but I bet it was overpriced) .

The Coast hasn't changed . We still see some of the same faces and places . A very familiar place to us .
A much better Groundhog Day .
The ocean/beaches/seafood/rivers/forests/weather and Highway 101 . . .

Highway 101 , or is it Way High 101 ?

NO, I didn't make that up , that is the name of a dispensary , in Coos Bay , on Highway 101 .
The glass shop Smoke On The Water is across the street from the bay (close enough to the water for me) .

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Welcome Home! I'm in the lessor of the Vancouvers (WA), and the North West is a great place to be. Our Washington prices are wonderful, but Oregon allows you to buy 2 ounces at once: I'm a hoarder, so I'm up with that. It grieves me that I can have a garage-full of cases of 1/2 gallons of vodka, but I am limited (by law) to only one recreational ounce.

potatobass

"Sadly, we have decided to leave FC and never return.

At the same time we have had a chance to re-evaluate our
position as a vaporizer manufacturer.
Many factors went into the decision.
It is in the best interest, of our family, to pursue other avenues." - Late December 2011

10 years ago ... a long time ... long enough for the haters to let it go , we will see ...

We just got back from camping near Port Orford , birthplace of the PD .
Nostalgia makes me write at this time, I guess .

No we will never go back into the Purple-Days business .
Wanted to come back and say high , to all the friends we made in those four years .
Most have probably moved on but ... hey anyway .

So, Pammy and I are both still alive .
We left El Mirage , AZ in 2016 .
We live in a rural Washington town .
40 miles to a McDonalds , rural ...

Pammy struggles with chronic health issues , but gets by somehow .
Her health was a big concern back in 2011, still is.

I saw emergency tracheostomy surgery last year, followed by total laryngectomy .
Stage 4 Cancer ,,,
Split me ear to ear and removed voice box , 24 lymph nodes , part of the thyroid .
I breathe thru a tube stuck in a hole in my neck , no voice at all .

So maybe that's another reason to come here and say say hi . No vocal chords required .
Anyway hello to all our friends. Best regards , always .
Hi Tom , Hi Pammy
Just wanted to say hi because i'am so happy to hear from you.
Purple days was my first vape, bought it after my first lung collapse.
Probably had one of the first in europe.
It changed my life , allowed me to quit combustion, and completely educated the 18y old me to prefer craftsman over big manufacturer .
So thank you for that.
And a huge thank to Pammy for her kind answers to my newbie questions (to buy the right power adapter or to clean the stems :) ).
You are always in my story when i try to pull people to the vape side :)
And am sure i'm not the only one feeling that way.

Good to hear you re still camping , enjoying life.
Thx a lot for this post

UrutuBsb

Maconheiro
Hi Tom and Pammy. Brazilian customer here. If you read this message, could you answer a newbie in electronics question? To repair my old PD, what if I use a 25J25RE instead of a 25J20RE? Tried to import some 25j20re via mouse.com, purchased for 19U$ plus 35U$ for shipping via DHL. When it arrived in Brazil DHL wants to charge me extra 75U$ on taxes and service handle! I was aware of the import tax but that service handle tax is twice the price of the import tax! I refuse to pay that as on mouse.com they don´t warn about this type of extra charges! I found some 25j25re but i´m concerning if it will fit. What happens if I use a 25ohm resistor instead of the 20ohm resistor?

UrutuBsb,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hi Tom and Pammy. Brazilian customer here. If you read this message, could you answer a newbie in electronics question? To repair my old PD, what if I use a 25J25RE instead of a 25J20RE? Tried to import some 25j20re via mouse.com, purchased for 19U$ plus 35U$ for shipping via DHL. When it arrived in Brazil DHL wants to charge me extra 75U$ on taxes and service handle! I was aware of the import tax but that service handle tax is twice the price of the import tax! I refuse to pay that as on mouse.com they don´t warn about this type of extra charges! I found some 25j25re but i´m concerning if it will fit. What happens if I use a 25ohm resistor instead of the 20ohm resistor?

Higher resistance (ohms) will make it run cooler at a given voltage but if you can raise the voltage enough to compensate then the 25ohm one should work fine. They are physically the same size. If you can find a 25J15RE or 25J18RE you'd be better off though.

We have versions of that resistor in values from 15-25ohm and might be able to mail you a couple cheaper than Mouser if you send @underdogette a message she can look up the cost for you.

🪵😎🍻

Top Bottom