Phase3 Vaporizers

lluther

I'm trying to source some replacement screens for my ZX, and trying to decide between the 250μm and 300μm hole diameter ones (12.7mm).

Anyone have any comments on a preference between them? I'm thinking that the 250μm will allow less particles to get into the bong water, but the 300μm will have better airflow.

sweetherb

I'm trying to source some replacement screens for my ZX, and trying to decide between the 250μm and 300μm hole diameter ones (12.7mm).

Anyone have any comments on a preference between them? I'm thinking that the 250μm will allow less particles to get into the bong water, but the 300μm will have better airflow.

I would tend to agree. The amount of material that makes it past the screen and into my ash catcher is far too high with the standard screen IMO.

I wish the slot that holds the screen was larger, so I could fit in 2 or even 3 screens (like I do in my Herborizer Ti glass bowl). This massively reduces the amount of particulate that gets through, has scarcely any impact on drag restriction and means I don't have to clean my glass as much.

I use all my vapes with glass but no water. With the herbo, I can go 3 or 4 days with no cleaning. With the ZXB, the screen is already starting to clog and my ash catcher is filthy after just 2 or 3 bowls.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Still have the original screen in my ZX, drop the whole thing in iso ~once/week and I’ve had zero issues. Preference on size of the screen holes is fairly subjective, I don’t personally have any issue with the stock screen in this regard.

lluther

Still have the original screen in my ZX, drop the whole thing in iso ~once/week and I’ve had zero issues. Preference on size of the screen holes is fairly subjective, I don’t personally have any issue with the stock screen in this regard.
Yea, I'd be happy to know what the measurement on the stock screen is myself, they seem to work pretty well for me too.

coolbreeze

The hole size is in service to the open airflow and helps prevent the screen clogging. The ashcatcher's gonna need cleaned in any case, but the airflow is part of what I love about it so I wouldn't sacrifice it myself. I rarely have to clean the bowl/screen in the ZX but it's quick and simple to do.

howie105

A thing I found is that if I formed enough of a dome in a ZX stock screens, it would reduce their diameter enough that they could be stacked on top of the flat semi fixed screen. One needs to be patient and careful during the forming, but it works.

InhaleExhale

I've not experienced what I would consider "significant loss" with my ZX bowl screens after nearly a year's use. I also use a dry ash catcher (got one just for this vape). Sure there are some goodies in there, but not screen-clogging loss. I am using the medium grind BCG mostly, but have used the fine grind too. Just sharing my own experiences!

@invertedisdead mentioned swabbing the bowl after each use with an ISO soaked Q-Tip, and so that is what I do! First I gently ream an ABV bowl with a poke, I then use a small horse-hair paintbrush to sweep out goodies. Occasionally I'll give the bowl a quick blast of air from my mouth (from bottom to the top of the bowl) to release any hidden goodies, and then ISO swab both the businesses side and then the underside of the bowl and screen. To date I've only removed the screen once on my ZX bowl (which hasn't been available for a full year as of yet). 2-3 sessions a day, loading 0.1g at the most (average is .06g or .07g per session).

I've never had to do any maintenance on the ZX heater beyond the occasional 700* burn off. Airflow only goes one way and I remove the heater and bowl before exhaling to eliminate blow-back.

The ZX is still my favorite vape! VAS has been cured for me (although I was tempted with the ZXL but honestly I don't need the larger bowl for personal use)!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

The 250 micron should be about the same as the ones I send out with the ZX kits. Either one should work well.

I would tend to agree. The amount of material that makes it past the screen and into my ash catcher is far too high with the standard screen IMO.

I wish the slot that holds the screen was larger, so I could fit in 2 or even 3 screens (like I do in my Herborizer Ti glass bowl). This massively reduces the amount of particulate that gets through, has scarcely any impact on drag restriction and means I don't have to clean my glass as much.

I use all my vapes with glass but no water. With the herbo, I can go 3 or 4 days with no cleaning. With the ZXB, the screen is already starting to clog and my ash catcher is filthy after just 2 or 3 bowls.

Stacking screens is okay in the heater, but in my experience if a screen clogs easily by itself, then stacking them together makes for even worse clogs as the debris will then be trapped between screens and much harder to brush out.

If anything I think perhaps the bowl screens should have larger openings.

I feel like we tend to have to choose a compromise somewhere between a clogged screen or debris in the glass. I'm pretty surprised you're getting a lot of debris in your glass and you're using an ash catcher. I run everything direct with no catchers or pass-thru's and there's extremely low amounts of debris in my rig. Almost all of it is trapped at the first right angle turn and never makes it into the water chamber.

Are you stirring?

IMHO stirring is really bad for any dry herb vaporizer and is likely a main cause of screen clogs and contaminant introduction in glass.
Once the moisture has been evaporated out of the plant it is too easily pulverized when agitated.

I never stir anymore; and I brush the bowl out after every load (upside down!! I always see people brushing bowls in the normal orientation, we want to try to get those contaminants to fall out of the screen rather than be pushed through it.)

I have some finer mesh screens, I didn't personally like them but if you send me your last order number I'll try to send you some when I get home. Keep in mind the finer mesh is much more flimsy.

BeltedCoyote

Foggin up the woods
The smoked, glass screen, 18mm .. from goodies is on my wish list !

Meanwhile I'm drooling on some of those reclaim/ash catchers from Ogb lol

Also, as far as stirring goes, I've found I don't actually NEED to do so with the ZX. I still catch myself going to stir sometimes. But it never really makes any difference.

The efficiency of this thing is divine. The more I use it, the more I fall in love.

Last edited:

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I just used the new inductor cord and heating head on my SX cordless and got it up to 430 degrees before the Inductor got too hot and safety shut down. I most likely can get it hotter but I forget what the proper head temp is for vaping with it. I'm gonna do a test vid with a bowl and see how she goes! Will report back soon!:tup:

PogueMahone

For me, what works best for keeping screens clean is to immediately expel the used bowl into a Delta 3D Vape Spitoon. Then using a brush, I invert the bowl and brush out the remnants. I dig the Vgoodiez vape brush as the bristles are a bit longer than those on the S&B brush and it works great on all of my ZX bowls.

Last edited:

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I just used the new inductor cord and heating head on my SX cordless and got it up to 430 degrees before the Inductor got too hot and safety shut down. I most likely can get it hotter but I forget what the proper head temp is for vaping with it. I'm gonna do a test vid with a bowl and see how she goes! Will report back soon!:tup:
Update, it was too thick with the rubies and the housing for the Inductor to bring it to temp. dam, close.:)

lluther

Looking at getting some backup rubies or sapphires, incase I lose some if the screen comes out again. Anyone know how many I would need to fill the ZX chamber? also, if i went for sapphires, is it just round, 3mm 'sapphires' to keyword aliexpress etc?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Broke out the glass bowl from hiding and loading the last few rounds. Used a little too much here as I got a wispy second. Flavor was on the menu tonight :p:nod:

That's the express lane to Flavor Town!

A truly beautiful thing to see :mmmm:
Meanwhile I'm drooling on some of those reclaim/ash catchers from Ogb lol

Also, as far as stirring goes, I've found I don't actually NEED to do so with the ZX. I still catch myself going to stir sometimes. But it never really makes any difference.

The efficiency of this thing is divine. The more I use it, the more I fall in love.

I always stirred religiously while developing these coil powered ball vapes, especially with the earlier 18MM designs; but after building the ZX and particularly the diffuser style ZXBowl I don't bother anymore. There's just no way to stir a vape without crushing the dried herb into particulate.

For me, what works best for keeping screens clean is to immediately expel the used bowl into a Delta 3D Vape Spitoon. Then using a brush, I invert the bowl and brush out the remnants.

That's exactly how I do it!

I was thinking of developing an induction vape for a while, I have quite a few sketches for them.

When does the current round of ZX pre-orders end? I'm wondering how long I can procrastinate putting my order in!

At this moment I’m not totally sure if I will even do another round of ZX’s, I’m thinking of possibly discontinuing these zirconia vapes.

Looking at sales from the last few months things just aren’t where they need to be.

I’m thinking of maybe building a conduction forward metal vape as that’s what I’m seeing continue to be favored in this market.

Looking at getting some backup rubies or sapphires, incase I lose some if the screen comes out again. Anyone know how many I would need to fill the ZX chamber? also, if i went for sapphires, is it just round, 3mm 'sapphires' to keyword aliexpress etc?

100X would be enough to fill it and have a little bit of extras.

MennilTossFlykune

At this moment I’m not totally sure if I will even do another round of ZX’s, I’m thinking of possibly discontinuing these zirconia vapes.
😵 dang can't imagine there may not be any more of these out in the world! what a marvel of vape engineering. I love this thing so much and it's making me consider the ZXL - really just a bigger bowl is the only thing I'd want to try differently right now. ZX is bliss.

Top Bottom