Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PAX reminds me of smoking a joint. If you like to puff on a joint then I think you would enjoy the PAX. The form factor, and vapor density/temperature just seem similar to the ritual/process of smoking a joint/blunt.

Thats good to hear, I used to love smoking joints ... I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a Pax.

Rename Rev Ye Us,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
SliM...very helpful lining up all these portables for comparison...thanks! Where would you rank the mflb with the solo, davinci and pax?

stickstones,

monacokid

HIGH ABV
im pretty sure he said in earlier posts that davinci and pax are far superior, and im sure solo would fall under the same boat

monacokid,
Reactions: vape4life

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Personally, I don't use my MFLB any more. It does not deliver a strong enough high for me. I also don't like the constant battery management. My feelings on it don't hold true for everyone though. Personally, I consider the MFLB to be a step below the other devices. Although I would not argue with someone if they felt the need to group the MFLB in with the others. I can see how it would be comparable by some.

Adobewan

Personally, I don't use my MFLB any more. It does not deliver a strong enough high for me. I also don't like the constant battery management. My feelings on it don't hold true for everyone though. .

@SliM
I share the same feelings about the MFLB but I believe it deserves it's place among great vaporizers. It's true it doesn't stand up to some of the latest tech, but in a field that was quite barren, they delivered a pocket friendly vaporizer that you could practically use in a church. Commendable simplicity in their design and function, and it burns me to see them so blatantly ripped off by ________(won't promote their name).
Granted, the LB is off to the side of my vape line up, but still there. I haven't used it in a year, but I'm still a very proud owner!
Long live Magic-Flight!

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
@SliM
I share the same feelings about the MFLB but I believe it deserves it's place among great vaporizers. It's true it doesn't stand up to some of the latest tech, but in a field that was quite barren, they delivered a pocket friendly vaporizer that you could practically use in a church. Commendable simplicity in their design and function, and it burns me to see them so blatantly ripped off by ________(won't promote their name).
Granted, the LB is off to the side of my vape line up, but still there. I haven't used it in a year, but I'm still a very proud owner!
Long live Magic-Flight!

Very well said. I agree with this %100. I also feel like the MFLB will always have a place. I think as long as the company continues to produce the MFLB, they will continue to sell well. I think allot of first time vaporists go for the MFLB over others. If you go look at a few other forums, the vaporizer sections are populated by MFLB threads. I have had mine since 2009 and it still works well. I would be interested in trying the pass through. It would get rid of my battery gripe.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

stickstones

Vapor concierge
It's funny, but I rarely use my mflb or its PA, but I can't bring myself to part with it simply because it is so discreet. The problem is that it doesn't hit hard enough for me, as some of you have expressed. I recently took it to a theme park and was only able to get partially medicated, and that took the usual ten hits. I love my Solo for its hits, but not discreet enough for true portability the way I want (like a theme park). so that leaves me thinking of the Pax and DaVinci. Personally, the offgassing of the DaVinci has me holding off on that one for now, even though that looks to be the winner with its airflow and hits. The Pax looks to me like a mflb on steroids since it heats up the same way. I just wonder if it is strong enough and discreet enough for me.

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
hahah is this the i don't like the mflb but still owns one club :) . thinking of selling mine though, since it really doesn't sell any use. i'm hoping the pax will deliver the goods, another few weeks of waiting :(

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am excited to see more poeple get their hands on one. I think poeple will be pleased. My tolerance is pretty high. I go though about 2 grams a day sometimes more. The PAX get me to the level of medicated I desire. Sometimes it surprised me how medicated I can get when in public. This is easily attributed to something called Learned Tolerance:

Learned Tolerance
Practicing a task under the influence of a substance increases the speed with which the person develops tolerance. Doing something while under the influence increases the rate at which the alcohol has a diminished effect on performance. The heavy drinker who functions normally when quite intoxicated is an example of this phenomenon.

Learned and environment-dependent tolerance can have important consequences when a person drinks and drives. Repeatedly driving the same route after ingesting low levels of alcohol could improve performance by helping tolerance to develop more rapidly. On the other hand, a driver who has ingested the same amount of alcohol but is driving a new route could lose any tolerance learned, resulting in a diminished ability to drive effectively.

This is also why heroine addicts will end up killing themselves with a dose that they can normally handle. They end up shooting up in a strange place and it affects them more. Another good example of this is the study they can do using Mice. They will put two mice in a red colored room. They will build the tolerance of both mice up to a very high dose of heroine or amphetamine. Then they will take one of the cages and switch the wall color from red to something else, say green. They will give them the same dose they have become "used to". Often times the one that has had the room color switched will overdose. It is a very very interesting concept.

I learned this concept in a Psychology class in college. When the professor finished explaning the concept, someone raised their hand. The student asked... "So, if I study for the test high, then I should come to class and take the test high?" The professor said... "Well, yes."

Anyway it applies to me because I am used to medicating using my OCD methods. When I medicate in public the change of surroundings can make me feel "higher" off the same amount I would use at home. So sometimes when I am not in my normal environment the PAX can surprise me with how medicated I get. I have even stopped the session 3/4th of the way through because I felt like I head reached a comfortable level of pain/ocd relief.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Funny, but I find my ocd routines kick into a higher gear when I am mid-level buzzed. I'm a door locker, and I check them a lot more when under the influence.

I do not do the door locking and counting patterns as much as patterns of worrying. If I don't do the same routine on a daily basis I feel weird and worry about weird stuff. I don't like to drive on freeways they kind of bother me. It helps me get over that. Allot of times it just helps me step back and not get caught up in the loop. My OCD is manageable for the most part. Every-once-in-a-while I will get backed in to a corner and something will affect me on several different OCD levels. Last time that happened I panicked and ended up with a broken hand...

The door locking thing is a good comparison. That can affect me as well. If I am not medicated it will bother me enough that I will turn around and go back home... even if it makes me late to my meeting/appointment. Even if I am like 99% sure I would go back and check if it bothered me. Now if I medicate I can shrug it off and keep driving to my destination.

Unfortunately, because everyone reacts differently to cannabis. I do not think that I will likely be able to use OCD as one of my main reasons for getting a medical card. I just know for me it provides significant relief.

Slightly Medicated,

Adobewan

Very well said. I agree with this %100. I also feel like the MFLB will always have a place. I think as long as the company continues to produce the MFLB, they will continue to sell well. I think allot of first time vaporists go for the MFLB over others. If you go look at a few other forums, the vaporizer sections are populated by MFLB threads. I have had mine since 2009 and it still works well. I would be interested in trying the pass through. It would get rid of my battery gripe.

The pass through ROCKS!!!
It elevated the LB to desktop level IMO. Highly recommend it!

Adobewan,

stash_up

Hey guys, new poster here :wave:

Stumbled upon this forum while searching for vaporizer cleaning tips, and then stumbled upon the Pax which looks really cool. I searched another forum I have been a member of for many years and came up with these 3 videos someone had made of the Pax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqayKIFN_iE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aYN4juMOcw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z894ZVgjEOY

sorry if these have already been posted, I've not had time to read all 21 pages of posts!

Hopefully they'll be of some use to some people. Also, sorry if they're bad videos, I haven't even watched them all myself yet, just wanted to share them on here.

FatalityxF

Oh hey there, fellow Washingtonian:tup:

I'm really excited for the PAX to come out, I'm really heavily leaning towards purchasing it. I've only had experience with the MFLB (I've owned 2 since 2009) and am looking to graduate. The whole fuss with the batteries really is getting to me, I don't like having to worry about combustion from drawing too slow -- and teaching friends how to use it is a daunting task as they never seem to get it 100% right.

Do you feel the PAX is a lot better in this area? Is there any risk of combustion by running it on medium temperature? I would think not.. I've combusted maybe 4 times since I bought this new box 2 months ago, and have already had issues that require me to send it in. In even cleaning the device it absorbed a little too much ISO and the plexiglass no longer meets flush with the wood, and vapor pours out the sides of the vaporizer.

What are your thoughts regarding smell of the PAX after it's seen use? More/less than the MFLB? I've found the MFLB seems to retain a LOT of smell after a while as the wood is so porous. Is the PAX any better? Also, how simple is the cleaning process? Does the oven chamber remove and can it soak in ISO?

One last thing, does the PAX require such a fine grind as the MFLB? I run my material through a Chromium Crusher 4 pc and follow up running it through a Krups Coffee grinder, as my grinder doesn't tend to grind finely enough. My material, now, is close to powder.

FatalityxF,

stash_up

Actually I think you'll find we quite like those videos that were uploaded by Slightly Medicated... especially the guy two posts above you with the similar name ;)

Haha, I didn't even realise the guy who made them was right here. In my defense it was about 3am and I was half asleep! :D

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Oh hey there, fellow Washingtonian:tup:

I'm really excited for the PAX to come out, I'm really heavily leaning towards purchasing it. I've only had experience with the MFLB (I've owned 2 since 2009) and am looking to graduate. The whole fuss with the batteries really is getting to me, I don't like having to worry about combustion from drawing too slow -- and teaching friends how to use it is a daunting task as they never seem to get it 100% right.

Do you feel the PAX is a lot better in this area? Is there any risk of combustion by running it on medium temperature? I would think not.. I've combusted maybe 4 times since I bought this new box 2 months ago, and have already had issues that require me to send it in. In even cleaning the device it absorbed a little too much ISO and the plexiglass no longer meets flush with the wood, and vapor pours out the sides of the vaporizer.

What are your thoughts regarding smell of the PAX after it's seen use? More/less than the MFLB? I've found the MFLB seems to retain a LOT of smell after a while as the wood is so porous. Is the PAX any better? Also, how simple is the cleaning process? Does the oven chamber remove and can it soak in ISO?

One last thing, does the PAX require such a fine grind as the MFLB? I run my material through a Chromium Crusher 4 pc and follow up running it through a Krups Coffee grinder, as my grinder doesn't tend to grind finely enough. My material, now, is close to powder.

I have never combusted in the PAX even on the high setting. The ABV has gotten dark brown, but never black. The device does a pretty good job of going in to sleep mode. This keeps the flowers from sitting there roasting in the oven while you are not using it.

The smell is not bad. Much better then a dirty MFLB. Cleaning is not bad. I still need to make a video. Sorry everyone... I keep tweaking my setup. I get one thing like a new microphone, but end up needing something like a new adapter for my old stand. So it is just tedious getting all set up again.

I use a pretty course grind. I just grind it through my space case, until it falls to the lower chamber. I would consider it a grind closer to what you would burn in a bowl. I tend not to overly grind my flowers. I never go to a powdery consistency.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: ilovebOObs

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I use a pretty course grind. I just grind it through my space case, until it falls to the lower chamber. I would consider it a grind closer to what you would burn in a bowl. I tend not to overly grind my flowers. I never go to a powdery consistency.

Since conduction vapourizers benefit from exposing more surface area to the heat source, a thorough evaluation should include tests of various grinds, and also the effects of stirring/shaking versus not. That's what I'd do, at any rate.

pakalolo,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Since conduction vapourizers benefit from exposing more surface area to the heat source, a thorough evaluation should include tests of various grinds, and also the effects of stirring/shaking versus not. That's what I'd do, at any rate.

I have done that, but did not video tape the sessions. Stirring does produce ABV that is more even/consistent. A finer grind produces slightly thicker clouds, and also more consistent ABV. Doing both stirring/grinding produces the best results possible.

Personally, I just don't do it because I am feel like it provides diminishing returns for the amount of effort involved. It works well enough with a coarse grind and no stirring that I don't make the extra effort for my sessions.

I do think more then a fine grind, stirring is what helps with keeping your ABV even in color and consistency.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: JoeKickass

Maxs

n00b. But friendly!
I ordered amethyst purple! I just went through cancelling my order for the Puffit at Gotvape, and I'm already impressed with how muh more helpful/responsive Vapeworld has been. I feel MUCH more optimistic about this purchase...now I just have to sit on my hands and wait!!!

@Lori - beautiful avatar, by the way!

Oh - and THANK YOU SM for the incredibly in-depth review and awesome videos! Sooooo helpful :)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I have done that, but did not video tape the sessions. Stirring does produce ABV that is more even/consistent. A finer grind produces slightly thicker clouds, and also more consistent ABV. Doing both stirring/grinding produces the best results possible.

Personally, I just don't do it because I am feel like it provides diminishing returns for the amount of effort involved. It works well enough with a coarse grind and no stirring that I don't make the extra effort for my sessions.

I do think more then a fine grind, stirring is what helps with keeping your ABV even in color and consistency.

This is exactly the information I wanted to see. It pretty much matches my expectations, your personal evaluation of the benefits notwithstanding.

pakalolo,

Lori Mounsey

LoJo2001
I ordered amethyst purple! I just went through cancelling my order for the Puffit at Gotvape, and I'm already impressed with how muh more helpful/responsive Vapeworld has been. I feel MUCH more optimistic about this purchase...now I just have to sit on my hands and wait!!!

@Lori - beautiful avatar, by the way!

Oh - and THANK YOU SM for the incredibly in-depth review and awesome videos! Sooooo helpful :)
@Maxs - Thank you :)

Lori Mounsey,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom