Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalShore

Hi Everyone! It's been quite a few months since I have posted anything here. I just want to let you know what my Pax has been up to since then and how awesome Ploom has been.

I've had to travel to Colorado, Washington State, and Oregon for business on a plane. I have taken Pax and some herb with me (funny how each state is 420 friendly). I took my very clean Pax with me in a carry on and I packed a small amount of necessary herb with my check in. Everything thing went very well. However, I did put some thought into how I packed it. I knew that my extra clean Pax in the carry on would not be an issue, however, I knew that if my herb posted a flag for the airline, all they would have to take was the herb and not the other necessary accessories that I usually carry with the herb in my small kit. I would never travel with more herb than necessary, I do use it medically and I had my recommendation right on top of my checked baggage in case if they opened it up they would see that it is medically necessary for me. I work in the medical field and when I travel I do so with my work (needles and sharps containers and various other medical equipment) in a seperate suitcase, on occasion I had the flag with my medical (work) suitcase and not my personal one. If you do choose to fly with Pax, please be smart about it. TSA even checked my carry on, took Pax out and was looking for something else of what I don't know. They just wanted to rescan my laptop after all of that. Happy travels!

Also, on this last trip to WA/OR a couple weeks ago I got an e-mail from Zach at Ploom. There was a guy that was claiming a warranty claim on a Pax that had my serial number. Before Ploom spoke to this guy again about the return, they contacted me to make sure that this was a bogus claim on my Pax. Once we verified that it was a fradulant claim against a unit that this guy didn't possess, the guy stopped his insistence on getting a replacement unit. I am so very happy that Ploom is on top of their game and protecting their Pax owners. Zach was also very kind to send me some extra screens that I have been meaning to purchase. I am such a happy Pax owner.

I have had my issues with Pax but Ploom has been very helpfull everytime I have had to contact them.

Happy Paxing!

Oh, going back to WA/OR for a couple more weeks in April. If any of you have any recommendations on places to go in my free time, I would love the suggestions! Just message me! Thanks!

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I just gave mine a good cleaning after 3 months of occasional use...and man what a stink! I can't get that darn odor off of my fingers. That beings said, this little guy still does a great job on my duff when funds are low. Even with the lube I am having temp light issues...will have to delve back into this thread to see about any new fixes.
I cleaned both of mine after some neglect yesterday, for what ever reason one of mine puts up a fight every time, to remedy this, after I am finished cleaning, I dip the stem of the mouthpiece in alcohol, make sure its not dripping crazy amounts, you can just drop a little bit on the outside of it as well if you dont have somthing open and shallow to dip it in. Anyway moisten the stem with alch. and push the mouthpiece down a few times, this has never once failed me. I worry someone might try this with the mouthpiece too wet, I really have to stress make sure it isnt dripping. I keep the cleaning pads in my car that the pax came with and you can do the same thing with those, I think they work better than a bottle of iso.
Edit- I sent them an email last week telling them its such a pain to clean down there even with pipe cleaners, I told them I bought dental pick brushes to clean in there, and that they should make brushes similar but designed for the pax. I thought it'd be a great idea to have the stem of the brush be the same diameter as the mouthpiece stem, with a hollow center, so that you could slide this thing down around the outside of the stem of the pax with the utmost ease. You could either put replaceable sleeves of bristles or cloth like sleeves with iso. on them. They said it was a great idea :tup:

TommydCat

...I can't wait to take it to our three-day DMB concert-fest at The Gorge! :D
Been going to Labor Dave Weekend since ~2003? Ticket requests put in through the Warehouse, trying to score a pass to Wildhorse, but premier or terrace camping is great (sorry, in my older years I'm not too fond of trying to sleep through a night in District 9!).. You on antsmarching.org? Great thread for Gorge 2013 for people to get to know each other and meet up.

And.. let's just say that "stealth" isn't really that big of a priority at this venue. Sitting on the top of the lawn as the sun goes down, waiting for Dave to come on after Head and the Heart finishes (they're opening again!), chatting with friends and getting that sweet tasty head going. The other 362 sunsets have a lot to live up to ;)

Edit: fixed quote

TommydCat,
Reactions: mollee

tamer

OK... so Im pretty sure there are 3 different generations of PAX out. These can be identified by the finish on the metal.

1st gen = completely smooth and you can see some vertical milling lines are prominent
2nd gen = lightly bead blasted finish and if you stare really hard you can see some vertical milling lines and also has improved mouth piece
3rd gen = heavier bead blasted finish creates a "sparkle" effect when in the light and also has improved mouth piece as well

personally Im more inclined to 2nd gen over the 3rd gen with regards to looks as its more discrete (especially in black).

However, looks aside, are there any performance differences between the 2nd and 3rd gen? Im hearing a lot about these temperature buttons being different on the 3rd generation (having more of a delay before illuminating). is this true?

Are there any other difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen PAXs?

Is there a real reason for having a heavier bead blasted finish besides improved grip? Does the heavier bead blasting make the anodized color stay on better? (PAX's tend to scratch the anodized finish off the edges however the edges arent bead blasted anyways)

in short... i'd like to get a better understanding on the differences between 2nd and 3rd gen PAXs.

Thanks

tamer,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

OK... so Im pretty sure there are 3 different generations of PAX out. These can be identified by the finish on the metal.

1st gen = completely smooth and you can see some vertical milling lines are prominent
2nd gen = lightly bead blasted finish and if you stare really hard you can see some vertical milling lines and also has improved mouth piece
3rd gen = heavier bead blasted finish creates a "sparkle" effect when in the light and also has improved mouth piece as well

personally Im more inclined to 2nd gen over the 3rd gen with regards to looks as its more discrete (especially in black).

However, looks aside, are there any performance differences between the 2nd and 3rd gen? Im hearing a lot about these temperature buttons being different on the 3rd generation (having more of a delay before illuminating). is this true?

Are there any other difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen PAXs?

Is there a real reason for having a heavier bead blasted finish besides improved grip? Does the heavier bead blasting make the anodized color stay on better? (PAX's tend to scratch the anodized finish off the edges however the edges arent bead blasted anyways)

in short... i'd like to get a better understanding on the differences between 2nd and 3rd gen PAXs.

Thanks

I've had all three models. The only differences are what you just posted. The delay of the temp light doesn't solve the temp light / heating issue. Well not for me anyway. The mouthpiece lube helps. But only for a few days before having to reapply.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
You can smoke bowls out of the newest model with a lighter once it dies :lol: (edit- this is obviously a joke but I feel I should tell you any way, you cannot smoke out of the pax with a lighter.:tup: ) I just cleaned my ovens for the first time sense I got them, interesting enough, the one I used alcohol on is still very patchy and dirty, the one I used water on is spotless. Absolutely spotless. I used scrapers on the one with alcohol too, the one with water I only used 2 q-tips and water while running it high and it is shinny new looking now. I suggest you guys give it a shot! I kept it really wet and heated the qtip up with the oven, I actually let it heat up fully while dabbing the cotton around. I use them every single day, they were completely black all the way up the sides of the oven. Looks brand new!

Mr.Krinkle,

mollee

Been going to Labor Dave Weekend since ~2003? Ticket requests put in through the Warehouse, trying to score a pass to Wildhorse, but premier or terrace camping is great (sorry, in my older years I'm not too fond of trying to sleep through a night in District 9!).. You on antsmarching.org? Great thread for Gorge 2013 for people to get to know each other and meet up.

And.. let's just say that "stealth" isn't really that big of a priority at this venue. Sitting on the top of the lawn as the sun goes down, waiting for Dave to come on after Head and the Heart finishes (they're opening again!), chatting with friends and getting that sweet tasty head going. The other 362 sunsets have a lot to live up to ;)

Edit: fixed quote
OMG, we'll have to meet up w/you at the top of the lawn! We've been going since 2008 & I wish we'd done it sooner! We always stay in Premium camping b/c I can't deal w/District 9 at this age either!! (AWESOME that u knew about District 9, loll! We go 'visit' to see the craziness but I couldn't spend 4 days there!)

Yeah, there's absolutely NO stealth needed at DMB Gorge! If Dave comes out before the opening act to tell us all to "not get toooooo high tonight", well...

It's harder to smuggle booze into the Gorge than pot! But Pax will be my constant companion this year, it's become my daily driver & I'd be lost without it. It's the PERFECT gadget for the Gorge!

I'm on antsmarching (same name) but I'm mainly a lurker.

Now if I could just figure out a way to stealthily pack a new oven in my Pax at a concert, I'd be ecstatic, lollll!!

ezstreet1997

I'm thinking about buying the PAX, and I have a couple questions.
  1. Does the vapor smell at all? How do you recommend reducing the smell in the room.
  2. How often does it need to be cleaned? After every use? After every 5 or so uses?
Thanks!

ezstreet1997,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
I'm thinking about buying the PAX, and I have a couple questions.
  1. Does the vapor smell at all? How do you recommend reducing the smell in the room.
  2. How often does it need to be cleaned? After every use? After every 5 or so uses?
Thanks!

1. Quite smelly, as soon as it starts heating. It relies on conduction to heat, and it will reek a room up.
2. Some people clean every use. I could go 3 bowls before the device would be inoperable. Some people just have lucky units and never clean it. I've had 3 different mouthpiece designs, thing never worked well for me. Milage may vary.

kushcabbage,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
has anyone here had the vapor blunt 2.0? I like the looks of it, not going to replace a pax with it but I'd love to own both if they stack up. I wont buy it if its not comparable to the pax. Any unbiased input?

Mr.Krinkle,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I used a dremel tool to remove mine (the airflow restricter), It does in fact increase the airflow,though I'd advise you dont do this for 3 reasons. It hits way too hard, ( I can't stress this enough, it hits way too damn hard, even on orange) It looks like shit, and the condensation/moisture/spit (gross) from your lips goes straight down the pax making a loud sizzle all the way down, vaporizing your spit. MMMmm! The sideways raised up hole on the standard mouthpiece prevents this from happening otherwise. You can see some build up after a few sessions with friends that arnt used to hitting one (they drool all over it its disgusting, fucking mouth breathers!) I use mine on a bong adapter so you cant see the tool marks, the increased airflow helps, and the pax unit is upside down on my bong and I am not putting it to my lips so there isnt an issue with the spit-sizzle :lol: so unless you are making an adapter for your pax I'd not fuck with it. Seriously, I was kind of pissed at myself after I tinkered, I felt like it was a waste of a mouth piece. If you do decide you'd like to any way, use a sander bit as the material is deceivingly soft, I went through it on the lowest speed setting (3,000 rpm) like butter, Hope this helps.
edit- if you'd like to see the difference in airflow just out of curiosity, you can take the mouthpiece off and stick a pipe cleaner in the slot you usually stick it to clean the sensor, bend it off to the side and away from your face like a hang man stand. It'll activate the oven with the mouth piece off if you do it right, give it a haul once it heats up. I practically choke every time.

Doctor.Who

…wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
Can anyone post some pictures of the different generation of Pax.. just curious.

Doctor.Who,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
I know its probably somewhere in the thread, but does someone have a good picture of the mouthpiece sensor that needs to be cleaned? Not the sliding ring on the mouthpiece itself but the one on the unit. Thanks in advance.

Madcap79,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Can anyone post some pictures of the different generation of Pax.. just curious.
Theres seriously nothing to see. They both look identical, with one having a slightly rougher finish. Theres a picture of the two side by side in here some pages back.
I know its probably somewhere in the thread, but does someone have a good picture of the mouthpiece sensor that needs to be cleaned? Not the sliding ring on the mouthpiece itself but the one on the unit. Thanks in advance.
http://vaporpedia.com/wiki/Pax

welderboy

its 4:20 somewhere.....
a327fcc3-fecd-4c19-97c8-14a0b1b316fe_zps39f8a5aa.jpg

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I made a camel bak attachment for my pax in time for good weather, its pritty cool! Theres a small pocket on the inside of my camel bak where I can tuck my pax, its nice for bike rides and hikes, the hose is air tight and no vapor comes out when I am not hitting it. I used the elbow from the mouthpiece to hook up the house to the pax, works great. I was hesitant to do this until I read what they use for materials is safe. I have a smaller length hose that I have for playing video games too haha, dont have to wait between rounds to rip it now:rockon:

Mr.Krinkle,

ipax

I made a camel bak attachment for my pax in time for good weather, its pritty cool! Theres a small pocket on the inside of my camel bak where I can tuck my pax, its nice for bike rides and hikes, the hose is air tight and no vapor comes out when I am not hitting it. I used the elbow from the mouthpiece to hook up the house to the pax, works great. I was hesitant to do this until I read what they use for materials is safe. I have a smaller length hose that I have for playing video games too haha, dont have to wait between rounds to rip it now:rockon:
I feel like that'd be a mind fuck for me, expecting a nice refreshing sip, get vapor. Somebody hook up a dual beercan/pax helmet.

IL S ID

GummyWorms
Whats good all? New to the site, place is cool, hope I'm in the right neighborhood here. Sorry if I'm not. Anyways, I've had a PAX for a month now. All is well. Zero issues. I am curious, however, if any of ya'll got any tricks or techniques on cleaning your "burn chamber screen", (removable), back to its OG ss shine? I scrub like Cinderella all day with ISO and cue tips, but I get tennis knuckle. Any easy way out? Thanks, IL

welderboy

its 4:20 somewhere.....
Whats good all? New to the site, place is cool, hope I'm in the right neighborhood here. Sorry if I'm not. Anyways, I've had a PAX for a month now. All is well. Zero issues. I am curious, however, if any of ya'll got any tricks or techniques on cleaning your "burn chamber screen", (removable), back to its OG ss shine? I scrub like Snow White all day with ISO and cue tips, but I get tennis knuckle. Any easy way out? Thanks, IL
steel wool or a scotch brite pad from the supermarket

welderboy,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom