Orion Induction Heater

dotcodotuk

Correct me if I am wrong here, @TommyDee, but does the Orion not fall under one of the categories that necessitates a CE mark in order to be sold over here in the EEA?

Certainly not complaining about it having one, but curious to know for sure if it needs to have one, rather than it being a choice on Dynavap’s part.

I am not familiar with the latest rulings on the CE mark and any changes, as it has been a while since I worked directly on products that displayed one, so I will bow to your knowledge and expertise on both fronts.

EDIT: and I have zero knowledge of FCC requirements, so again, bow to your knowledge!

swieder711

Today is the day for the Orion to ship from Dnyatec. I hope that they made their schedule.

swieder711,
I got my shipping notification from Dynavap this morning. I ordered within the first hour of the pre-order going live.

letter never sent,

km1og

Link to picture: ORION

She arrived couple days ago.
My reddit review!

my mini review:

Portability 8/10. I have a feeling they will get smaller still over time.

Aggressiveness - 10/10 - the cap heats up super quick and the clouds are delicious.

Build quality - 8/10 - everything feels solid. No gaps or misalignment. The button is very clicky which is nice. I love the minor detail such as the lED DV light. Could use rubber over the plastic for more grip.

Baterry - yet to be tested.

Magnet -- 6/10, strong with good cool down properties but the Magnet retains heat.

Carry case -- 10/10 perfect travel case.

Technology - 10/10 - sensor detection works great and can't go back to push click once you have used it. USB C works perfect..no more clunky extension. Cords.

FINAL SCORE : 52/60

Overall I feel like Dynavap is coming out of the dark ages. I can't see myself going back to a torch. The experince has been taken up 100 notches.

thunderstealer1337

FCC testing is cheap, dunno bout CE my last jobs parent company was in EU so we never worried bout it, we did do UL stuff like crazy, and I got to deal with a auditor monthly for UL

thunderstealer1337,

erkanostatic

Correct Dynatec Orion Battery and charging stats:

Voltage: 5V 2.3A
Capacity: 2445mAh
Charching time from 0% to 100%: 1:10h

erkanostatic,
Reactions: Crimi

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
~2500mAh doesn't really match with the number of clicks you get per charge, though. And it doesn't make sense that Dynatec would hand out wrong specs, does it?

Siebter,

erkanostatic

2500mAh doesn't really match with the number of clicks, because you cant get the same amount of energy out from a battery, as you charged in. There is always a power loss. But power loss is normal for Induction! There are no specs about the capacity on their website. I've also read and heard about the 1000mAh, but maybe 1000mAh was the capacity in the pre production units and now in the final version its a 2500mAh.

Last edited:
erkanostatic,
Reactions: RobbIt

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
2500mAh doesn't really match with the number of clicks, because you cant get the same amount of energy out from a battery, as you charged in. There is always a power loss.

Usually we look at what charge a cell can hold, not how much you need to provide to charge it fully.

There are no specs about the capacity on their website.

That on the other hand is true. I thought I heard them say a number on Dynavap Live, but I'm not so sure about it right now.

Siebter,

erkanostatic

Another point, 2.3A charging speed by a capacity of 2500mAh, smells for me like there is a Li-ion Battery (18650size) in it, instead of a Li-Po Pack(just a guess). I hope it is so, in this case it's easier to replacing it. Maybe after the warranty i will open it up, and try to replace the battery.

Last edited:
erkanostatic,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Um, @erkanostatic - the 12 watt/hour is more likely accurate. That is 1000mah at 11.1v. You can't cheat physics, sorry.

A little math to prove it - 1.1 hours at 5v and 2.3 amps = 1.1 hours at 10.6 watts = 11.66 watt hours of charge.

The 2.5 amps/hour reading is at 5V, BTW, not 11.1V.

Love the meter!

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I convert everything IH to watts. Power is getting converted to so many variables you need a solid constant. Watts imparted to the VC works well for a lot of estimations. We've all dropped a digit somewhere. No big deal. Happy to pick it up for ya 😇

derosavapore

Solo canotto!
Ciao Ragazzi!
yesterday I have tried the orion, got it from verdampftnochmal/Berlin, thank you guys there.
There is not much of them in germany right now…
At this point I feel the orion works good but maybe for the titan caps a bit too aggressive, I slowed it down for the
first click. (With little pauses between heating cycles). Without slowdown its tastewise a bit burnt, especialy the first hit,
and also a bit whispy. But we can master the issue.
What you cannot master, excuse me, the device itself is feeling so cheap…eeeh.
The fact that it is very light… its super-cheap housed in plastic. Dont get me wrong, the orion works well but why this plastic box? There is good quality plastics out there, fancy looking too, with glimmers or flakes, color changing etc. But not for the orion, sad, cause technically it seems to be very good.
Same for Apollo. I hope they will give the ih‘s the same love for detail/built quality as they do for the dynavaps.
Are you guys in love with plastics? I am not and never will. Love quality materials like wood, titane, glass, steel
Feels like from another company… in fact, it’s made in china.

very portable.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I see aftermarket -redressing- of the Orion. FutoStash is already working on a skin at least. But I agree, an artisan could really do something special with a case for the Orion innards.

km1og

I see aftermarket -redressing- of the Orion. FutoStash is already working on a skin at least. But I agree, an artisan could really do something special with a case for the Orion innards.

You can add grip tape as a simple solution if worried about dropping it.

km1og,
Top Bottom