Orion Induction Heater

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@km1og scatch that, @Kins - Would you give up the freedom of drawing on a stem without a bulk hanging off of it? Serious question. I've come to the conclusion that a separate stem from the heater is very efficient not only in use but in maintenance.

Last edited:

km1og

@km1og scatch that, @Kins - Would you give up the freedom of drawing on a stem without a bulk hanging off of it? Serious question. I've come to the conclusion that a separate stem from the heater is very efficient not only in use but in maintenance.

If I had to choose I would choose just the stem. with that said if they came up with an on demand dynavap it woilf be cool.

km1og,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Dynavap should just show everyone what's inside. This proprietary thing isn't going to work. Its guts are going to be displayed throughout the internet relatively quickly. Companies that have proprietary blends of things don't have too much of a problem because people don't have laboratories in their homes. But anyone who knows about the Orion is only 1-2 degrees of separation from some rascal who's gonna crack it open. :lol:

Is the hope that someone uses it until the battery dies, and then just throws it away for another? I would think just about any stonier worth his/her salt is going bust that fucker open and see if they can replace the battery. That's what I would do, and if I broke the casing I'd mount in a Pringles can if I had to.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Dynavap should just show everyone what's inside. This proprietary thing isn't going to work. Its guts are going to be displayed throughout the internet relatively quickly. Companies that have proprietary blends of things don't have too much of a problem because people don't have laboratories in their homes. But anyone who knows about the Orion is only 1-2 degrees of separation from some rascal who's gonna crack it open. :lol:

Is the hope that someone uses it until the battery dies, and then just throws it away for another? I would think just about any stonier worth his/her salt is going bust that fucker open and see if they can replace the battery. That's what I would do, and if I broke the casing I'd mount in a Pringles can if I had to.

Ageee with your sentiments, but if it’s a sealed unit it’s not because of hiding it’s hardware. If DV does not have in place or plans an announcement of a “send in” battery replacement plan, then it’s a disposable item in their eyes, no long term support. And I said “IF”, I’m not following this that closely.

In general, a sealed box means they don’t want customers messing with it and then complaining and returning it. In some cases like the Alpine20, from what I understand from posts in that thread, the company supposedly stated that the warranty was VOID, if the box were opened. That’s a whole other story, and of course the first thing to do is pry it open to see if is safely wired, and up to some standard electrical standards.

DV most likely doesn’t want to spend a lot of company resources on technically supporting an assembly line product. I’ll bet if you have a problem, they will just send you a new one, the mark up on this is probably pretty good, Tommydee can probably come up with a parts price list, and as we know, the case is just plastic.

Product support is a big factor for companies nowadays. Doing it half ass is the worse. So you go from mass market throw away, replacement if in warranty period, to the boutique makers like Fluxer. Part of what slows his output is supporting the units he has already sold, thus not disposable. And I must mention fantastic support, both here and email. It’s more like working with a tailor making you a custom fitting suit, or buying one off the rack. Just my opinions...

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Knowing that the keystone is glued in place means one of two things; @RustyOldNail is right and they just bust whatever and put a new case on it or it is a glue than can be easily reconstituted to a soft state. Either way, Dynatec has held these things close to the vest so I don't expect a reveal unless they have something to share.

Me, I want to know what they did for the processor, USB-C and BMS. How much is custom tech and how much imported from OEM components.

They've still got a ton of room inside. Knowing what must fit tells me that space wasn't the real goal but a clean and simple layout would be the way to keep COGS (cost of goods sold) down. Same as Apollo; board, coil, battery, widgets. If they have more than $60-COGS in production. I'm going to give the attention to the coil a significant cost adder over the rest of the build unless that too finally got automated.

As far as people showing the insides, it took a long time for the Apollo shorts to show up. And it was George that did that for us. I personally do not expect a reveal from Dynatec because that may also reveal the 'keystone' lock.

flammy

Why not take this technology and put it in a vape?. I know the switch uses induction technology but I have not seen or read of other vapes that do. Are there any out there?

There are not many devices that use induction. There is another concentrate device that does:

flammy,

Vape_Or_Die420

For those who own the Orion: If you leave a stainless steel tip in until the 10 second auto shutoff will it combust?

Vape_Or_Die420,
Reactions: RobbIt

Majordude2626

Likes?
Dislikes?
Really just getting started. I like the auto sense, just stick it in, I like usb-c charging. It’s super light compared to my portside mini. The case they give you is cool. I haven’t put it through the paces, but the blinking led is sweet. You can no exactly how many blinks before or after the click, and be consistent. Only dislike is the price, and I haven’t tried any of the recent IHs people have been touting, so maybe there is better value to be had. I wish the batt was replaceable, but really as long as it’s working a couple years from now, it won’t be an issue. I need to use it a week or so to get real impressions. Very, very pocketable, and nice build quality.

km1og

Really just getting started. I like the auto sense, just stick it in, I like usb-c charging. It’s super light compared to my portside mini. The case they give you is cool. I haven’t put it through the paces, but the blinking led is sweet. You can no exactly how many blinks before or after the click, and be consistent. Only dislike is the price, and I haven’t tried any of the recent IHs people have been touting, so maybe there is better value to be had. I wish the batt was replaceable, but really as long as it’s working a couple years from now, it won’t be an issue. I need to use it a week or so to get real impressions. Very, very pocketable, and nice build quality.
🔥🔥🔥
Looking forward to the long review next week.
Mine is expected to arrive on the 25th. The wait is killing me.

To make things worse I combusted for the first time yesterday. Never Dyna and Mighty at the same damn time!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
24th in the order the order was received. Mine will be late therefore. It was an unfortunate shipping delay in the carrying cases. Everyone was suppose to release as once and DV was caught short.

Last edited:

dotcodotuk

I got my hands on an Orion today, thanks to another UK-based member who didn't like what they had bought, and I have to say I am incredibly impressed. FYI this is my first experience with any induction heater for the Dynavap, but I am won over already.

Taking it out of the case, which in itself is great, the Orion feels well-constructed and there are no sharp edges or overhangs where pieces line-up. The power switch is solid and the resonance in the Orion's casing means the clicking on/off makes a satisfying noise, but I would prefer a more tactile material than just hard plastic with some raised dots on it. Maybe that can be in v2.

You could easily argue that the Orion ought to be a little more solid-feeling in the hand, particularly on the top-plate and the weird resonance you get when moving the thing around in your hand, but the weight is just about right for a portable. I do not think it is particularly pocketable, but I guess that will depend on the size of your pockets and how tight your clothes are!

Other than that... I guess I would have liked to see a protective ring around the magnet, as I am not sure how the top-plate will stand up to a slightly off-centred hot Dynavap - my Launch Pad will still be used around the house and I'll only use the Orion's magnet if I am out and about.

When it comes to the heating profile... yeah, funny one that. I thought it was supposed to have this aggressive profile* that was focused on "t3h cl0udz" but I find it much more even than using a torch (somewhat unsurprisingly) and I am getting much nicer flavour and less of a throat hit as a result, which suits me down to the ground. Still plenty of vapour, just not as hot as my torch technique - but I like that!

I also love the little blinking Dynavap cap logo - perfect for counting the flashes and working out how close to/far past the click you want to go.

All-in-all a great little device that comes in a neat little package, admittedly somewhat expensive, but I think worth the money for what you get.

*according to the little table on the Vapefiend website.

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Yesterday I noticed the FCC/CE markings on the Orion. That cost someone a pretty penny. Knowing that it is violation of law just to put those on there without filing agency reports, I can tell you A LOT OF MONEY has been dropped on giving you the Orion. It will take hundreds of Orion sales to cover that bill. I find it interesting that this is one of the areas George keeps quiet about. This is one area that I know a few things about.

The nice thing is that whatever they, DynaVap, did in the Orion to prove it Safe for Human Use is in a report with DynaVap. This opens a lot of doors.

Top Bottom