Orion Induction Heater

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Timing, eh? ;)

The Dynaverse is big, and I come in peace! :D

The Orion is a great looking heater with some very innovative features - plus it’s available! - and it’s going to make a lot of people very happy. I congratulate Dynayec on getting this out the door.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Well, the cards are on the table. Orion vs Flite. In my case at least the decision is simple. As I said before I think Dynatec has spent an important bullet not adding an interchangeable battery to this device

Indeed, hopefully the LIPO pack is “user replaceable” at least. I’m sure we will see the internals soon enough....

km1og

Indeed, hopefully the LIPO pack is “user replaceable” at least. I’m sure we will see the internals soon enough....

i really hope so.
My gut tells me they have planned obselesence in mind. i watched their last youtube video where a viewer asked if the batt pack could be replaced and they gave a very generic answer referencing 1 year warranty if something is wrong with the battery. 🤦‍♂️

I still purchased one cause I have been VAS'ing hard lately.

RustyOldNail

i really hope so.
My gut tells me they have planned obselesence in mind. i watched their last youtube video where a viewer asked if the batt pack could be replaced and they gave a very generic answer referencing 1 year warranty if something is wrong with the battery. 🤦‍♂️

I still purchased one cause I have been VAS'ing hard lately.

Very rare to have any battery issues in the first year or two, unless it was bad from the beginning. Perhaps, they are going with the iPhone “Apple” model. You send it in, and pay a “small” FEE for a new battery. But, many handy folks have replaced both batteries and screens on iPhones, so we shall see.

Yes, “planned obsolescence”, as the LIPO pack will be great for a year or two depending on how hard you pound it, then many may move on to a newer or different product. That’s why they hit you hard upfront on the MSRP!

thunderstealer1337

Not necessarily. I have an IH that clicks in 3 / 5 seconds (with the option to add one second for extra toastiness) and it makes my DVs shoot clouds from hit one. Heating time does not equal to vape performance / clouds. Heating times *do* however affect the vape signature, but not because *less* heat is applied, but because the heat time is *shorter* (which are two very different things). It seems to me that the Orion is a bit more aggressive than the Apollos.
Ok, you may have a high voltage unit that successful does what you want, I've owned 4 seperate units and none react/operate the way you describe. In fact here is a quote from the maker of flux/flix

From my own experience, I've had much, much more success slowing down the Dynavap's heating process than I have speeding it up. To be honest, I think there's a lot of magic in slowing it down. But first:

How to Heat More Quickly with an Induction Heater

If you want to make the heater heat its load more quickly, get a power adapter that is capable of putting out 8A or more. 8A will have the Dynavap clicking within a 3-5 seconds.

The fastest vapcap clicks I ever experienced occurred when I used a marine battery to power my induction heater. It had so much amperage behind it it would click within 3 seconds.

That being said, I want to stress something: Faster isn't always better. Faster is just faster.

"Faster isn't always better"

When you roast meat or bake bread - to name just a couple of things in this category - you usually aren't trying to do it as quickly as possible. Instead, you're trying to produce the best tasting result.

Humanity spent many thousands of years cooking meat and other things directly over fire because that was our only option, but our diets and dishes improved greatly after people invented ovens and began to regulate the heat with which they cooked. Cooking food slowly gives it time to heat evenly, and the flavors in the food have time to express themselves and suturate throughout the dish. That's why soup and chili get better the longer they simmer on the stove.

Slow Roasting Your Dynavap

The Fluxer Heater with PWM Temperature Control™ brings this sort of control to your favorite vaping device. It gives you the ability to slow down the induction heating process. This gives the resin in the flower a nice, long time to heat up and change to a more "vapable" state. The result is an even more flavorful vape, at a lower overall temperature, with more complete vaporization of the contents of your Dynavap.

Furthermore, because it takes longer to reach the final temperature, and that temperature is lower overall, the vapor you inhale will also be a bit cooler and less harsh. It makes for a VERY pleasant sesh experience.

It pays similar dividends when one adds hash and other concentrates to the Dynavap oven - they also benefit greatly from the longer, slower heating cycle.

Slowing Things Waaaaaay Down

Also already seen a unhappy customer trying to resell for $180 on entx stating they thought it would hit hard, but going back to torch to get extraction in 1/2 hits. It needs a activation switch to help pulse for those who want to extract in 1/2 hits imo

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Ok, you may have a high voltage unit that successful does what you want, I've owned 4 seperate units and none react/operate the way you describe. In fact here is a quote from the maker of flux/flix [...]

Yeah, I may have a high voltage unit. :-) Anyway, there's also for example the # of wraps, coil position, diameter of the coil, gauge of used wire and some other parameters that may affect the vapor signature, which makes me believe that heat up times are one factor of many – a major factor no doubt, but still. My point is that there does not seem to be one „right“ approach. That's why for example the Fluxers are offered in so many variations.

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I think the reason for so many variations is the whims of the people. But those variables are a maker's nightmare. I choose the Orion (not over anything, just as a new device) because it is said to be hotter than the Apollo Rover. I can tame hot but I can't fix cold in a Dynatec. So it is in fact the tuning that I am buying more than the pocket aspect. It has to live properly on a coffee table. My latest DIY is a stealth little antique box with suspicious markings or features. Orion may very well live in something very much like that if not this very one. See why size doesn't matter in that sense? Size matters in the sense of competition. "How low can you go?" kind of thing. I'm even going to include the Alpine 2020 and PSM in the mix at it too did a bang-up job of stuffing the 10 lbs of shit in a very compact space.

In my C'19 days, which are now numerous, I've explored all the ways I can utilize an IH in my daily medication. Our unspoken law is 2 hours abstained before public activities where sobriety is required. That doesn't mean they can't give you a field sobriety test for suspicion. I don't carry for activities and my IH won't be traveling to a friend's house. All the reasons one might need an Orion, Fluxer, or a PSM. What I need is a device i can comfortably fire while walking about the property or being kind and not partaking in a space with non-participants. So I get the 'comfort of portability' need we all have. All our considered IH's can do this where I feel the A'20 will be ruined if dropped... The PSM I don't have but it is a shit-brick-house so no worries there even if dropped, and the Apollo Rover is the right weight to be more forgiving in a holding and handling. may even drop it in a pocket if needed for a moment. Other than the robustness of an accidental drop, as perceived by me, Orion fits the bill for stepping away perfectly as would a Fluxer and for sure the Fluxer Flite. This really is only one aspect for an IH requirement - portability. Orion kicks as in this department. Style and weight are both conducive to comfortable carry and pocket potential.

Back to that use case of table top units. These too are a divergent pair much more than I ever anticipated. Having worked all the variable aspects of using these things, I find that a simple corded always ready device sitting just beyond the usual mouse location very comforting. Myriads of plug-in models will fit this bill. Notable of course are Caldron, Apollo, Flix. The power brick can be stashed and the performance is always the same. Set it and forget it. What's not to love about that.

But I said there is two table top requirements. The second I will call the "Coffee Table IH". This IH has a specific user which I suspect is more of you than would admit it. How many devices on your coffee table have cords? None! ...in my case. Trip hazard is normally the reason but it just doesn't work for many of us. I have to say, in all the DIY efforts, this one has grabbed me the hardest with HalfPint and now a stealth battery IH in a box [box troll]. The daily routine of charging is no big deal. In under an hour the cells are ready to go for the next day. Plug in the charger and grab it when its time to medicate. Good well into the early morning hours. Size here doesn't matter much. The smaller, the easier it is to make 'presentable' but the impulse to resort to 'walking away with it' will dictate the formfactor you want to deal with.

There is a 4th type of user that really drives a maker batty. The gadget guy! Oh yes, I am one! I know me! No maker wants to know me LOL
Yes, there is tech to be had. And we're only beginning. Orion with intrusion detection, Fluxer Deluxe and now Fluxer Flite w/ PWM, and Mag Heaters with temperature control have all stepped into the next level world of IH. Each of these techs is tied to one or more of the 3 types above. Choosing is only getting harder. What's your poison?

Okay, I need one of each. A fixed always ready unit at my desk; a coffee table quick access medication device; And a quick carry-out device. And of course, I want the tech! So a complete set of tools for your daily medication cycle is 4. The more those consolidate, the better.

Good work Dynatec! There is definitely a new bar for future makers.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Wondering from those who have an orion right now. How difficult does it look like to take it apart? Do you see screws, torx, glue, or does it somehow snap together? Any guesses.

Chandler

$225 shipped on ent exchange canada.
Super nice dude sold them at just over wholesale price.
You're saying you bought an orion for $225 CAD?
I just did a quick conversion. $200USD = approx. $265CAD. $225CAD I'd say that's a steal also sounds like whoever that is selling for that price clearly doesn't know how to make money, or isn't in it to make money?? 🤷🏾‍♂️
Link please!

Chandler,
Reactions: RobbIt

km1og

You're saying you bought an orion for $225 CAD?
I just did a quick conversion. $200USD = approx. $265CAD. $225CAD I'd say that's a steal also sounds like whoever that is selling for that price clearly doesn't know how to make money, or isn't in it to make money?? 🤷🏾‍♂️
Link please!

I think he sold all his units - https://www.reddit.com/r/EntExchangeCanada/comments/iuk38v
We talked for a while. He knew that he could have gotten more for them but he did it as a favour for the Canadian Ent community. He specifically mentioned that it's his way of giving back from time to time because of the friendships and support he has received in the past from the weed community.

Super nice dude.
To be honest I have Made sales for much less then I could have gotten as well. No better feeling then giving back or putting a smile on someone's face 🤙

RustyOldNail

Anyone work for the TSA? We could run it through the scanner.

Whatever way they use to coverup access points, is to keep idiots out, but hopefully not to void any warranty. Now if they glued the case together entirely, and don’t leave a clean way to install a replacement battery, then you know it’s an expensive disposable. But I doubt that. Currently, I’m not building IH’s so I’m only mildly interested when someone eventually finds out the internals, if there are coil advances, or new tech, especially the activation sensor. As I mentioned in a previous post, being able to customize the coil position is an advantage to the FD, and others that are not assembly line produced. Hopefully one is satisfied with the way it’s tuned out of the box, or get out the hack saw.... :)

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Troy and Jerry did a IH sesh comparison this evening. Haven't gotten through the whole thing yet, but they highlight the Orion as well as other notable favorites.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: Siebter

Skinku

It's arrived and my first impressions are very good.
Addressing my concerns:
The weight is good, it's light, not too much and feels very solid, joints are near seamless.
The main finish isn't bad at all, it has a nice grip and looks towards the higher end,
The Keystone has a strange finish a bit like plastic that's been left in ISO but in a good way, it's enough to lift it from the main body, its subtle but works for me.
Now the case, yummy.
Orion.jpg
A banded board from my FT case just fits giving the lid compartment some function, the netted pouch keeps the cable nicely.
I don't like Snapstashes so I have ordered a small glass vial to sit there, that will be pretty.
More good news is that my ordered DynaBox Double XL should fit in the long compartment, I need some kind of heat resistant enclosure for my toasty bits so I've dropped a piece of leather in there for the time being.
The compartment size is roughly 140x20mm.
How does it perform?
Others can comment with much more knowledge but it is feisty, more so than my Atlas, 3(1.5s) blinks past for Ti and 6(3s) for SS gets me near combustion.
I'm going in now for a lengthy session but I just wanted to share and ease any concerns fellow early adopters may have.
It feels very much like a well thought out and premium product, it's pricey but compared with my other vape purchases around this sum it feels money well spent.
I'm a happy Skinku and hope others will be as well.

Last edited:

Kins

Why not take this technology and put it in a vape?. I know the switch uses induction technology but I have not seen or read of other vapes that do. Are there any out there?

Top Bottom