OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

CloudForestWoodcraft

Insta: CloudForestWoodcraft
Accessory Maker
Just a heads up for the FC crowd that this is back in stock, at least for the moment :) I sent Ben an email yesterday asking to put me on the mailing list for the restock and he pinged me back today to say orders are reopened!

I love this part of the cannabis vape community - reminds me of the computer hacker crowd, individuals inventing awesome stuff.
Hm, wonder if we order now, would it incorporate the updated post.

Most likely, but maybe I’ll shoot him an email to confirm.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hm, wonder if we order now, would it incorporate the updated post.

Most likely, but maybe I’ll shoot him an email to confirm.

I would presume it has all the updates and not waste his time personally, based on the past situations like this, it kept being confirmed you would be sent the most recent design finalized... He seems happy to help though so I'm sure he's not mad but seriously it seems like a waste of time to me for everyone involved lol All info is here!

lapis

Just a heads up for the FC crowd that this is back in stock, at least for the moment :) I sent Ben an email yesterday asking to put me on the mailing list for the restock and he pinged me back today to say orders are reopened!

I love this part of the cannabis vape community - reminds me of the computer hacker crowd, individuals inventing awesome stuff.
Oh, slick! Bet that means mine will ship soon, color me excited.

sickmanfraud

I have a teal founders edition and a second Aroma-3 in Blue. The blue is very pretty, but it makes grabbing the correct grinder with just a quick glance, a bit more challenging. If I had a blue or teal with an orange I could get what I want with a glance.

Now that my Bearing puller/reinstaller is on the way, I would like to buy an orange bearing.

Does anyone have a link to an orange bearing in the correct size?

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: LesPlenty

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Now that my Bearing puller/reinstaller is on the way, I would like to buy an orange bearing.
I realise a new bearing isn't expensive and changing bearings isn't really hard (especially with the tool it's probably a breeze) but just wanted to point out that you don't have to change bearings to change the color so for anyone that wants to have a different color but doesn't feel like changing bearings this might be interesting info.

The colored ring of the stock bearing can be removed/replaced very easily without the need of a dedicated tool. Just take a sharp, pointy knife (like a steak knife) and insert the tip of the knife in the gap between inside ring and colored coverplate. Gently wiggle and it will pop right out. You could also simply pull them out with a very strong magnet (think CPU-magnet force) since the inside of that cover-ring/plate is magnetic metal.
I have a couple of bearings but just change the coverplates as long as there is no issue with the bearing itself...

IMPORTANT SIDENOTE: this easy removal/replacement of the bearing coverplate does NOT work with FULL CERAMIC bearings: the covers on these can be removed but they damage in the process and can't be re-inserted or replaced with the covers from metal bearings....
Might be possible with some brands/types but definetely not with all of them... I learned the hard way.... :doh:

Last edited:
666Honeybadger,
Reactions: LesPlenty

dimmusp

Hello,

This is the NTN Bearing https://www.motion.com/products/sku/02194249

NTN have been making bearings for turbine jet engines and the like for decades (they know their shit)
The NTN bearing has super tight tolerances and is designed to take axial and radial loads but doesn't spin as free as the "Better Bearings" and only coming in the single colour.

The "Better Bearings" are "Lickety Splits" from https://betterbearings.com.au/
Better bearings are an Australian company that offers premium skateboard bearings that come in lots of cool colours (please look at their website for colour clarification).
These bearings are sealed, come in multiple colours and spin really well.

In my opinion you cant go wrong with either bearing. I'd like to continue to offer both.

Anything else please ask away!
Has anyone else compared the model with regular colored bearings vs the NTN ones?

Thanks

OCDeeeznuts

Hey @LesPlenty how has your full ceramic been holding up? Did you have a chance to test out the abec 9 yet?
I saw that the same seller has some full shielded full ceramics now too. Have you had any issues with your unshielded model?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Hey @LesPlenty how has your full ceramic been holding up?
No problems!
The slightly cheaper version (ABEC 7) spins for longer than the more expensive example (by about 40 odd seconds). The ABEC 9 seems to be a lot quieter though and may spin for longer as it beds in, it spins for about 2min30sec so far.
I install the bearing with the shield facing up so the exposed balls are face down and fully encapsulated when pressed in, that said on occasion the top will suddenly slow spinning wise and all it takes is a short blow to clear any herb to get back up to speed.
I found using a bolt with a few washers and nut easily swaps the ceramic bearing without damage.
My mate that has the standard bearing is also having trouble removing/installing the top grind plate and tried mine with ceramic and said...get me one!

OCDeeeznuts

No problems!
The slightly cheaper version (ABEC 7) spins for longer than the more expensive example (by about 40 odd seconds). The ABEC 9 seems to be a lot quieter though and may spin for longer as it beds in, it spins for about 2min30sec so far.
I install the bearing with the shield facing up so the exposed balls are face down and fully encapsulated when pressed in, that said on occasion the top will suddenly slow spinning wise and all it takes is a short blow to clear any herb to get back up to speed.
I found using a bolt with a few washers and nut easily swaps the ceramic bearing without damage.
My mate that has the standard bearing is also having trouble removing/installing the top grind plate and tried mine with ceramic and said...get me one!
Fantastic, thank you!!
I plan to order one too. Seem like a winning upgrade all around.

minasch

Thanks to @LesPlenty I got the full ceramic bearing too. Now I'm waiting for my bearing tool which should get shipped soon.
I'm looking forward to install it. I think it will make the grinder almost perfect for me because I want to be able to soak also the top in iso. I should not do this with the regular coloured bearing right?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Just picked up the model below from the EE discord. Would you guys know what version this is? Curious about a change log on these models super excited to see it soon.

There aren't that many changes practically although it has the side notches so it could be the latest one? I suppose you could see if you have a magnet in the top with the bearing how it comes out etc... But there's not really much to look for although it might not have yeah actually now that I look closer it has the side notches but it doesn't have the notches in the post that holds the bearing so it's not the latest but it is close? lol really nice custom design on top though!

Mowjo

There aren't that many changes practically although it has the side notches so it could be the latest one? I suppose you could see if you have a magnet in the top with the bearing how it comes out etc... But there's not really much to look for although it might not have yeah actually now that I look closer it has the side notches but it doesn't have the notches in the post that holds the bearing so it's not the latest but it is close? lol really nice custom design on top though!
Thanks! Thats exciting to know and happy to see these guys developing so fast! They offered a nice price on it and I can gift my BCG to a friend now :)

TestingTree92

1. Why are people changing the bearings. Is it a cosmetic choice?
2. I’m on the order page and I have the option for a lid magnet. Is the lid magnet strong like the original design and would you recommend with or without?

It looks like a great grinder. I have had bad luck with aluminium grinders over the past 3 years (chipping paint in the bowl) so this will be a great change.

SquirrelMaster

2. I’m on the order page and I have the option for a lid magnet. Is the lid magnet strong like the original design and would you recommend with or without?

It looks like a great grinder. I have had bad luck with aluminium grinders over the past 3 years (chipping paint in the bowl) so this will be a great change.
I think most are going for longer spin times.

It is strong in the first release and Old Mate said they did not have a lower strength option. I'd personally grab one without and it's not really neccessary unless you're going to transport it.

It's in the top 2 of grinders imo. Stainless steel grinders are built to last plus the OM3 has that extra fun (yet functional) factor built in.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Personally I ordered the grinder with a magnet, but also ordered the bearing puller and a full ceramic bearing from @LesPlenty AliExpress link earlier in the thread. This way I can use the stock bearing for a magnetised top for travel potentially, and the ceramic one for when I'm at home and don't want the magnet. I'm really looking forward to recieving mine now. The bearing came in less than a week!

jbm

I have an OG OM and it’s become my go to grinder. The spin is fun and also a great indication of when the herb is fully ground. I have had no need for alternate bearings, removable magnets, bearing pullers or anything of the sort. All of that is just the Futzmonkey asserting itself.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
All of that is just the Futzmonkey asserting itself.
There is zero need for upgrading the bearing.
The main reasons for the swap to full ceramic are,
1. You can soak the whole grinder in ISO to clean it without removing the bearing as the ceramic bearing has no lube.
2. To make removing the top grind plate a one-handed job while the grinder is sitting on your vape bench.
3. Faster spin times.
So 3 upgrades for about $5.

jbm

The main reasons for the swap to full ceramic are,
1. You can soak the whole grinder in ISO to clean it without removing the bearing as the ceramic bearing has no lube.
2. To make removing the top grind plate a one-handed job while the grinder is sitting on your vape bench.
3. Faster spin times.
So 3 upgrades for about $5.
Question for @OMD: if the OG as shipped can’t be immersed in ISO for cleaning, what are your recommendations for cleaning? Do you recommend switching to a ceramic bearing for this reason?

The other two “upgrades” seem unnecessary to me.

jbm,
Reactions: Franco

LesPlenty

Company Rep
what are your recommendations for cleaning?
He says to remove the bearing if you ever need to deep clean the unit.
If I could not work out how to remove the bearing I would simply use iso in a shallow dish with the teeth facing down so the iso level stays below the bearing for a good long soak if I did not own an ultrasonic cleaner or a ceramic bearing.
Ceramic bearings have a habit of breaking during installation compared to steel so that may be part of the reason along with wanting the magnetism would be the reason for the standard issue jobs. That said, Ben would happily install any bearing you like when made.

Top Bottom