OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah I had the same pause, still <20 bucks is not bad, but if I end up getting a second OMD that will come with one finalized itself, and also maybe I never want to use it ideally either... Yeah I guess I wouldn't be the best beta tester for this lol still a nice offer!

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Hey @OMD if I were to order an aroma3 today, would I get a circlip version or a press fit version? The website shows the circlip version which I would prefer not to have.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hey @OMD if I were to order an aroma3 today, would I get a circlip version or a press fit version? The website shows the circlip version which I would prefer not to have.

Pretty sure that the website is just not updated because he said in his last posts here that he has not even sent any with it yet and now will not... Just skim backwards?

lapis

It was a few pages back, but yeah, Old Mate confirmed that current orders are on hold until the non-circlip design is finalized:
Please be assured you will recive the best grinder i can make. The design is staying with the press fit flush bearing. This way i can support all the grinders i have made to date.

Guys, please give me a day or so and i will show you the updated (back to press fit) design and show you the bearing press/puller.

thanks!

minasch

I got my grinder yesterday.
I really love the grinder.
The feel is excellent. All groves are perfectly placed, so that the grinder lies as well in the hand as a glove. What I also love about the groves are the light reflections. This makes the grinder look so high quality and classy.
In addition, the weight, no metal on metal frictions and that stainless steel is simply better for grinder than aluminum...

Easy the best grinder on the market.
The only thing I would like even better would be a large version. Maybe half an inch more diameter or something like that.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
@OMD continued to prove his fantastic service by responding to the order question very quickly. Sure enough no circlip 👍

Ordered the version with a magnet and have a full ceramic and hybrid from @LesPlenty link earlier in the thread, thanks a lot mate ☺️, to test out the beta puller. This way I can test the difference of the magnetised top plate for myself 😁, and potentially pop the original lickety split bearing in for travelling. I don't expect to be spinning it for the fuck of it, but who knows lol.

moogosa

I got #111 of the founder's edition, has anyone else noticed the magnet in the mid grind plate is being pulled down and out by the bottom piece? It's easily pushed back in by hand, but pulls right back out each time I open the grinder so I have to press down to close the grinder flush and push the magnet back into the middle.

Other than that love the grinder, but I have a feeling at some point I will just have to forego the functionality of the magnet and remove it altogether before I lose it as there is nothing retaining it.
A replacement is being sent, free of charge. Outstanding and unexpected, hats off to @OMD. Fantastic grinder and great customer service, I would highly recommend picking one up if anyone is on the fence about it.

TangibleHangnail

Outstanding and unexpected, hats off to @OMD. Fantastic grinder and great customer service, I would highly recommend picking one up if anyone is on the fence about it.
Completely agree. I was very confused about colors and bearing types and @OMD cleared it all up via email even though I had already ordered. Can't wait to try it out.

FNQ2

Hi @OMD
I wanted to know if you intend to manufacture an Old Mate but in an aluminum version?
It would be cool for people with a smaller budget like me.
And since there is no friction between the metal in your product, the aluminum is not disturbing.
Hi's, I understand with the cost thing, a worldly trend, everything is getting expensive.
Just ma 2 cents :) Ben does what he wants.
Ben builds quality under OMD, it is the best you can buy and I'd be f'd if I could make it, he has a quality workshop and great thought and skill set.

With alloy, well stainless is an alloy lol but a soft alloy like ya request will suffer wear in the lid bearing recess over time with bearing removal, the case hardened bearing will wear the soft center post with on/off lid and the grinder will be scratched and looking like shit in a month and OMD has lost face and reputation.

Do without an unhealthy luxury once a week and drop the coin in ya ol mate fundage jar.
[ or I'll have to buy all the aluminum omd grinders n bin um lol :) ]

Bens thoughts will be far more interesting than mine.
Good luck ~ All the best

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I also don't understand why a shitload of people always expect special treatment with special requests in this community? Just be happy with what's out there!
Ben at Old Mate welcomed any questions and requests for any ideas we may have. A great benefit of having a smaller business is that he bothers conversing with this community.
He was more than eager to accommodate my special needs...you just have to ask!

Oden

Hi's, I understand with the cost thing, a worldly trend, everything is getting expensive.
Just ma 2 cents :) Ben does what he wants.
Ben builds quality under OMD, it is the best you can buy and I'd be f'd if I could make it, he has a quality workshop and great thought and skill set.

With alloy, well stainless is an alloy lol but a soft alloy like ya request will suffer wear in the lid bearing recess over time with bearing removal, the case hardened bearing will wear the soft center post with on/off lid and the grinder will be scratched and looking like shit in a month and OMD has lost face and reputation.

Do without an unhealthy luxury once a week and drop the coin in ya ol mate fundage jar.
[ or I'll have to buy all the aluminum omd grinders n bin um lol :) ]

Bens thoughts will be far more interesting than mine.
Good luck ~ All the best
Yes I understand perfectly.
But it's too expensive for me.
There are other pretty cool alternatives that are more affordable for me.
What I find really great in this Old Mate is the fact that there is no friction between the metal.
It's quite unique.
I would put some money aside to afford it to me in a while.
But not now because I always buy more expensive things, but never grind lol
Je ne comprends pas non plus pourquoi un tas de gens s'attendent toujours à un traitement spécial avec des demandes spéciales dans cette communauté ? Contentez-vous de ce qui existe !
That's how it works with the manufacturers closest to their community.
I have as an example OWW, the manufacturer most attentive to its community for me!
I don't see the problem, it was a simple question

MCwREN678

Hi all,
I have to add that Ben @OMD has been so exceptionally helpful, generous and attentive.
No request has ever been too much!
I have been so impressed with this product, absolutely worth every cent. Unfortunately I broke my hand recently, and this product, and especially the grips that Ben sent me, have made a very difficult situation much more manageable!
I could sing his praises from the heart!
I’m not sure if I’m the best tester for the bearing tool atm, lol!
Thanks Ben, deadset fkn legend!

naani

sucio boy
I've had my Aroma 3 for a couple months now and it's an absolute joy to use. Hasn't gotten stuck once and I always pack it full. I tossed my other (much cheaper) grinders in the trash on day 2 of owning this one haha.

With that said my grinder did have an (cosmetic?) issue where it would make a loud clanking noise when spinning fast. Ben was great and helped me troubleshoot the issue, sent me replacement bearings when that didn't help, and sent me a whole replacement grinder in the end.

I don't think I've ever felt this valued as a customer before so I wholeheartedly recommend OMD.

mustacheemperor

Just a heads up for the FC crowd that this is back in stock, at least for the moment :) I sent Ben an email yesterday asking to put me on the mailing list for the restock and he pinged me back today to say orders are reopened!

I love this part of the cannabis vape community - reminds me of the computer hacker crowd, individuals inventing awesome stuff.

jkeyes98

Just a heads up for the FC crowd that this is back in stock, at least for the moment :) I sent Ben an email yesterday asking to put me on the mailing list for the restock and he pinged me back today to say orders are reopened!

I love this part of the cannabis vape community - reminds me of the computer hacker crowd, individuals inventing awesome stuff.
Thanks for letting us know! Just placed my order :brow:

Top Bottom