OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

Definitely press flush bearing for the better looks!
When someone really can't change the bearing by himself just go to a car repair shop! Bit of sweet talk or cash an they may do it for ya!
i had a mate go to a windscreen/glass place with a bombay Sapphire bottle a couple of decades ago asking them to cut the bottom off for hot knives "and dont ask any questions either" haha shes an older woman so they complied. we did a lot of spots off that bottle

Dampfmaschine,
  • Haha
Reactions: LesPlenty

farmerpalmersnt

I reckon you could make a decent tool using 3d printed ABS. would keep the cost down and wouldn't damage the face of the grinder.

I knocked mine out with a socket and dowel but due to the socket face being dinged it has marked the grinder a bit.

Axel_420

Will you also make different grinding plates?
Do you think in the future you will find a way to lower the weight of the grinder a little bit? I know, almost impossible, right?

Axel_420,
Reactions: LesPlenty

onesixty2

Flush top is more important to me over bearings being easier to swap out, and frankly making them easier feels like a waste of effort on your part.. are people's bearings breaking, or are they just customizing the product out the gate? If they are doing ceramics, just add that as a bearing choice to buy. I probably would have taken a ceramic option, but I chose for color moreso given the choices were purely cosmetic sounding on your site. I am not trying to tinker with it, I'm not using it as a fidget spinner, so I really don't have any interest in ever swapping out the bearing unless it is necessary or broken and unusable, wouldn't want to see the design look cheap just to support hotswapping bearings. It's okay if it takes a hammer and some minor effort to replace rarely.

moogosa

I got #111 of the founder's edition, has anyone else noticed the magnet in the mid grind plate is being pulled down and out by the bottom piece? It's easily pushed back in by hand, but pulls right back out each time I open the grinder so I have to press down to close the grinder flush and push the magnet back into the middle.

Other than that love the grinder, but I have a feeling at some point I will just have to forego the functionality of the magnet and remove it altogether before I lose it as there is nothing retaining it.

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Just my two cents-

I have been able to remove clips like that with pointy tweezers in the past but it wasn't something I'd want to do often..

I have had customers buy ceramic bearings etc and break them while trying to install them. I had to do something to fix this issue.
Not really your problem?!

Come on guys, stop talking about spinning times and give OMD a break here, LOL.

I think the exposed clip could be covered to improve looks but is it really worth engineering towards convenient bearing replacement here?

I did say "titanium" a while back but wasn't expecting that bill :razz:

lapis

Man, I finally got an Aroma 3 order in a few days back when they reopened, and now all this talk of flush fit vs. circlip has me feeling like maybe I got in at just the wrong time...

I really don't mind the circlip – it does seem convenient for the off-chance I ever need to replace the bearing – but I do agree that the flush fit is more aesthetically-appealing.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I also agree, the flush top looks much better than the circlip. I guess the top is lighter without the circlip?

The grooves in each peace, give the grinder a consistent look and I like the functionality.
Just from my aesthetic feeling I think I would prefer no grooves at all, not even in the top piece, but it would get more difficult to manipulate of course.

I thought to keep the non-ntn clean for fidgeting, but now I see it has the 6 center holes compared to the older 8 center holes. I probably need to break it in to compare :D

The circlip one would probably be the best for fidgeting.

OMD

Accessory Maker
I got #111 of the founder's edition, has anyone else noticed the magnet in the mid grind plate is being pulled down and out by the bottom piece? It's easily pushed back in by hand, but pulls right back out each time I open the grinder so I have to press down to close the grinder flush and push the magnet back into the middle.

Other than that love the grinder, but I have a feeling at some point I will just have to forego the functionality of the magnet and remove it altogether before I lose it as there is nothing retaining it.
oh no! please DM me and ill fix this. I have some larger magnets here that you can press in securely. Or i can do it for you.

Man, I finally got an Aroma 3 order in a few days back when they reopened, and now all this talk of flush fit vs. circlip has me feeling like maybe I got in at just the wrong time...

I really don't mind the circlip – it does seem convenient for the off-chance I ever need to replace the bearing – but I do agree that the flush fit is more aesthetically-appealing.
Please be assured you will recive the best grinder i can make. The design is staying with the press fit flush bearing. This way i can support all the grinders i have made to date.

Guys, please give me a day or so and i will show you the updated (back to press fit) design and show you the bearing press/puller.

thanks!

sickmanfraud

While this certainly does work, This can damage the bearing and dent the race. I have had customers break ceramic bearings this way. Ideally it should be pressed in/out. A lot of my customers simply don't have the tools to do this and im having to support them from the other side of the world. It's super tricky for me.

People need to be told that unless you expressly tell someone to remove the bearing removal is at the end user's risk, not yours.

That being said, the design of the removal tool is exceptional!

I just received my second Old mate and I like the grooves in the bottom two pieces. It does make the grinder easier to open.

I am in agreement with the FC members who are in favor of the flush fit without the circ clip.

@Shit Snacks have you tried grinding upside down to get a finer grind?

Top Bottom