OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah occasionally some scraps of herb can get stuck and left in the teeth section, usually if you open it and close it and keep spinning, move at an angle, everything can fall through eventually ... Yes I love how consistent the grind seems to be, depending on the consistency of the herbs and how much you load, that can affect how coarse or fine the grind is, typically different levels of medium grind in my experience, but yes so nice for it to be actually consistent without any effort at all! Very satisfied and this is mostly all I want to use now as well

OMD

Accessory Maker
Hello everyone,

I have had a number of enquiries for Titanium grinders.

I have enough material here to make 4 of them.

I have listed them on my website if anyone is interested. I'm not too sure when they will be available again. $398 USD

Thanks!

AssistedLiving

Shit Snacks

Hell no! @AssistedLiving that looks like a German Frankenstein grinder I wouldn't want!
The price even tops OM Ti. 😳
I'll stick with SS OldM I think.

There is someone else I think in the US who makes and sells fancy titanium grinders I think two pieces with heat treated colors and etched designs... a little off topic here

farmerpalmersnt

Have the number of holes on the grind plate changed? I have 8 around the centre post, the one in the vid and on the website have 6? What's the reason for the change @OMD ?

Also, I got a couple of these hybrid ceramics:

They are INSANE. Had a full ceramic but isn't as fast as this. They take a bit of breaking in on the centre post. The longer you use hybrid the faster they get too as they bed the ceramic bbs into the races.

Shit Snacks

I'm not sure how I feel about the look of the top now... I also don't know how easy it would be to remove without one of those tools...? Anyway glad I have my OG flush lol

I also have mixed feelings about the added notches in the sides of the bottom, I do think they would help quite a bit though and they don't look too prominent so I think they are well done, probably a good idea overall despite my reservations and again glad I have my OG flush one regardless!

Having the post not be a fool cylinder, now the notches to break up the magnet, I think is definitely a phenomenal idea though!!!

GratefulDread

I'm not sure how I feel about the look of the top now... I also don't know how easy it would be to remove without one of those tools...? Anyway glad I have my OG flush lol

I also have mixed feelings about the added notches in the sides of the bottom, I do think they would help quite a bit though and they don't look too prominent so I think they are well done, probably a good idea overall despite my reservations and again glad I have my OG flush one regardless!

Having the post not be a fool cylinder, now the notches to break up the magnet, I think is definitely a phenomenal idea though!!!
Have to agree with you. Not a fan of the horizontal slits on the side. And If more grip is needed, the slits should be vertical imo. (Edit: just realized the slits are probably horizontal to help with opening the grinder. I meant they should be vertical if grip is needed while grinding).
I'm not convinced that they're needed at all though.
Does the bearing sit lower now? Or is the lid taller? The bigger gap/clip makes it look more prototype'y to me.
The bigger gap does probably make it capable of holding some type of "cap" if you wanted to cover the bearing, but, eh..

GratefulDread,
Reactions: LesPlenty

OMD

Accessory Maker

The change allows the user to remove the bearing without the need for a press. The tool is $10 from your local hardware shop.

I have had customers buy ceramic bearings etc and break them while trying to install them. I had to do something to fix this issue. It was costing me lots of time and replacement parts to warranty these sorts of issues.

I need my customers to be able to easily change their bearing out for cleaning/maintenance/servicing etc.

I understand the top might not look as good to some, but now the grinder if fully functionable and serviceable by anyone.

Have the number of holes on the grind plate changed? I have 8 around the centre post, the one in the vid and on the website have 6? What's the reason for the change @OMD ?

Also, I got a couple of these hybrid ceramics:

They are INSANE. Had a full ceramic but isn't as fast as this. They take a bit of breaking in on the centre post. The longer you use hybrid the faster they get too as they bed the ceramic bbs into the races.

The tweaks have a even amount of holes to make the grinder fully symmetrical to allow for no mistakes in production (loading the part in the wrong orientation in the CNC machine)

Thanks!

marduk

daydreamer
I understand the top might not look as good to some, but now the grinder if fully functionable and serviceable by anyone.
Just tossing out an idea...

Could a round piece of plexiglass be precision cut for a press fit so that when installed, it would rest against the circlip on one side while being flush with the grinder's top on the other side? If that's doable, you could even offer different transparent colors to mix and match with the bearings. Might look cool...

And it should be pretty easy to poke out the plexigass from the other side and remove the circlip if the bearing needs to be changed.

Shit Snacks

Thanks @OMD! Great explanation as usual well thought out decisions! :cool::bowdown:

I never really wanted to swap the bearing myself but now I could, I would like to try the ceramic style and have it come already assembled ideally, but also would only buy a second one if I had the plate customized for slightly smaller holes as well...

I have no real need though as the one I have is already so effective, one is certainly enough, but with those little changes personally I would grab another and love it as well lol someday maybe possible

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I have only been using my OM since I got it (Feb 1st) and have noticed the spin time dropping off significantly (down to 2 minutes) in the last few days. I thought it may be the new cheap all-ceramic bearing failing but on closer inspection of the grinder I can see a line of resin forming on the bottom plate, I noticed the new design has dropped the diamond tipped inner row of teeth for flat like the others that caused the smear in the pic,
1678155284787-jpg.44716

I used my S&B brush as the post for the top plate to check the bearing spin time and it is the same as when I got it, just over 3 minutes so it is the build-up that is slowing it down.
So I ended up just iso q-tipping the tips of the top plate row of teeth that made the smear on the lower part and have been spinning the heck out of my OM and only grinding a smaller amount each time instead of loading up as much as possible in the grinding area. The smear mark has now disappeared and my bearing is now spinning for over 3.5 minutes, ceramic bearings are 'self healing' so can take a little time to bed in and work like glass on glass slippery without lube!
I found the seller I got my ceramic bearing has the same full ceramic bearing but in a higher spec, Abec-9, the one I have is Abec-7, this refers to the tolerances of the build of the bearing, Abec-11 seems the highest available. Anyway, still cheap at AU$7.80/US$5 and fixes the 'hard to remove top' problem,

GratefulDread

I have only been using my OM since I got it (Feb 1st) and have noticed the spin time dropping off significantly (down to 2 minutes) in the last few days. I thought it may be the new cheap all-ceramic bearing failing but on closer inspection of the grinder I can see a line of resin forming on the bottom plate, I noticed the new design has dropped the diamond tipped inner row of teeth for flat like the others that caused the smear in the pic,
1678155284787-jpg.44716

I used my S&B brush as the post for the top plate to check the bearing spin time and it is the same as when I got it, just over 3 minutes so it is the build-up that is slowing it down.
So I ended up just iso q-tipping the tips of the top plate row of teeth that made the smear on the lower part and have been spinning the heck out of my OM and only grinding a smaller amount each time instead of loading up as much as possible in the grinding area. The smear mark has now disappeared and my bearing is now spinning for over 3.5 minutes, ceramic bearings are 'self healing' so can take a little time to bed in and work like glass on glass slippery without lube!
I found the seller I got my ceramic bearing has the same full ceramic bearing but in a higher spec, Abec-9, the one I have is Abec-7, this refers to the tolerances of the build of the bearing, Abec-11 seems the highest available. Anyway, still cheap at AU$7.80/US$5 and fixes the 'hard to remove top' problem,
The smearing makes me think the tips of the blades on the lid portion might be too flat. They might be pinning chunks of weed down and dragging them along. Could there be any benefit in making the tips pointier? :2c:

OMD

Accessory Maker
The smearing makes me think the tips of the blades on the lid portion might be too flat. They might be pinning chunks of weed down and dragging them along. Could there be any benefit in making the tips pointier? :2c:
I like your thinking and i thought the same.

I have tired and experimented with many different teeth combos.

Pointy teeth = super inconsistent grind and gummed up teeth

LesPlenty's grinder is operating perfectly as intended, If you guys look at the teeth design the inner and outer teeth are designed to direct the herb to the center cutting area, this keeps the walls clean while the middle section does all the work. I can raise the teeth up off the floor but this creates an inconsistent grind also. The herb has to go somewhere so i choose the center cutting area instead of letting it go everywhere.

I can make it less prone to smear on the floor but the grind quality suffers.

I hope this makes sense!

thanks

GratefulDread

I like your thinking and i thought the same.

I have tired and experimented with many different teeth combos.

Pointy teeth = super inconsistent grind and gummed up teeth

LesPlenty's grinder is operating perfectly as intended, If you guys look at the teeth design the inner and outer teeth are designed to direct the herb to the center cutting area, this keeps the walls clean while the middle section does all the work. I can raise the teeth up off the floor but this creates an inconsistent grind also. The herb has to go somewhere so i choose the center cutting area instead of letting it go everywhere.

I can make it less prone to smear on the floor but the grind quality suffers.

I hope this makes sense!

thanks
Sounds like a delicate balance indeed...
I wasn't insinuating that you hadn't considered it, btw.
I'm also talking completely out of my ass.
Regardless of any changes, I'll be buying one of these soon.

OMD

Accessory Maker
Sounds like a delicate balance indeed...
I wasn't insinuating that you hadn't considered it, btw.
I'm also talking completely out of my ass.
Regardless of any changes, I'll be buying one of these soon.

It sure is a fine line.

Thanks! I like the feedback and ideas, I wont ever be offended by someone offering me suggestions / feedback. I want to make these the best i can for you guys.

i got mine this week. its a fantastic grinder. id like a matte finished one though. it works very well and is a bargain at the price

Dampfmaschine,
Reactions: LesPlenty
Top Bottom