OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

felvapes

I'm in....

Have been looking around for a quality grinder for quite a while, had some other options that i was considering. Importing them was what kept me from placing an order...
But suddenly this comes along?!!!
It got my attention since all these great features:
- stainless steel
- great looks
- seems to grind really smooth
- build to last

So yeah, those are some real selling points to me but if i'm totally honest it's the free entertainment promised by the spinning function that instantly made me realise that i NEED this! I will have to import it but that is no issue anymore... ;)
I really think it's a stroke of genius to add the spinning function, just because it's possible!

Sure, i'll tell people i bought it for it's functionality but i know i'll be thouroughly enjoying the toy-aspect whilst vaping...
This is my kind of adult toy!
:rofl:
Hahaa
Mate I love the fidget spinner side
I use all the time, either in my hands or I just spin it on the table
It truly is a two in one device

Last edited:

DRAG-0n

Very cool, hope you can start preorders again because I would love to support a new grinder company as well.

Are the NTN and Better Bearing interchangeable? Like if I got the Better Bearing can I swap in an NTN version or are they specifically made for one bearing or the other?

felvapes

Very cool, hope you can start preorders again because I would love to support a new grinder company as well.

Are the NTN and Better Bearing interchangeable? Like if I got the Better Bearing can I swap in an NTN version or are they specifically made for one bearing or the other?
Yea the bearings are interchangeable mate
Same OD

Adobewan

These are beautiful.
I've got every size of Santa Cruz Shredder, even the big one(I went a little crazy one year), and bought a FlowerMill last Christmas. I've read a bit about the Brilliant Cut Grinders and was considering picking one up this year because I clearly need another grinder, but then this thread popped up. I'm with you all, the form factor and colors are compelling.
Regarding function, is this the proper thread to ask for further thoughts on the Medgrind vs the BCG?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Regarding function, is this the proper thread to ask for further thoughts on the Medgrind vs the BCG?

Moreso a question for the general herb grinders thread, however since medgrind is still so new we can just talk about it here a little bit, but there's not much to say as the differences should be pretty apparent? No one really has both of them to compare yet as far as I know... (Functionally I think this is similar to the old shredders with the teeth, combined with BCG elements like no threading by center magnet post in the bowl and now some side teeth in the lid... BCG have different teeth, further different depending which size plate you choose, of course further differences which size grinder, colors and materials... And medgrind has the free spin skateboard bearings too, plus more grip seems now?)

LesPlenty

Company Rep
further thoughts on the Medgrind vs the BCG?
@felvapes has the first impressions of a prototype Medgrind v the BCG,
My bcg gets much more gummed up with sticky afghans
The grind is like an in between the bcg fine and medium plates
Very fluffy and even grind that all ends up in the catcher and not spread on the walls of the grinder
It's seriously something different in the grinder game
And I loved my bcg before this arrived - and I'm using a version that Ben literally grabbed out of the bin for me - so imagine the final product
Looking promising for sure!

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@felvapes how much material are you putting through them both for reference? It is great to hear the Medvape is holding its own, but saying a BCG is "gumming up", much less that it is "much more" than another vape doesn't really compute for me :lol:. Mine has been pretty amazing so far, so just trying to see what might be honeymoon enthusiasm vs objective comparison.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
but saying a BCG is "gumming up"
My BCG has gummed up quite a bit, you can see it on the side walls collecting at the side wall teeth but it does not slow the BCG down much. I just use the BCG empty while using a lot of pressure on the sides to clean them up when it does slow down, not done a deep clean on it except when it was new, it is now 12 months old without a clean,
1670900409842-jpg.42853

My old 88mm Space case would only go weeks between needing a clean,
1616151076740-jpg.25571

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@LesPlenty absolutely, some material is of course going to inevitably collect on any grinder! The bcg is just really, really good in this regard. I would think that as you said it would be on the order of a months to years worth of material before you start to really gum a grinder at that level up—I’ve had mine since April and it still looks more or less pristine after a light brushing with a long bristled brush I used to clean my coffee grinder with.

Just trying to get an objective comparison on those kinds of things when talking about the Medgrind vs something else:). It seems probable that both of them are great!

felvapes

@felvapes how much material are you putting through them both for reference? It is great to hear the Medvape is holding its own, but saying a BCG is "gumming up", much less that it is "much more" than another vape doesn't really compute for me :lol:. Mine has been pretty amazing so far, so just trying to see what might be honeymoon enthusiasm vs objective comparison.
I don't mean to shit on my bcg at all
I've mentioned in other places my more complete comparisons as I use it more each day

I actually broke out the bcg last night again to compare as I have always loved it compared to other grinders and to be fair
I mentioned myself elsewhere in my first feedback about MCH I was in a honeymoon and would return to the feedback later

I picked up a new very sticky strain the other day and have made my first smear on the MCH reject model (that has teeth too long unlike the finalised versions)
It only smeared on the floor in one ring and has not affected the free spin or the no metal on metal contact
The lid and walls still have no smears on them at all

Using the same new sticky bud in the bcg last night and today (I'm using it again to give a fair comparison) I find it is still a lovely grinder, but the lid gets gummed quickly like in @LesPlenty picture but worse
The floor and teeth get more smears and bits
It still works very well and better than other grinders, but it takes more turns to fully clear the grind area and has more left behind compared to the MCH
The walls where the two smooth parts of the lid and body meet tend to get weed squashed and stuck in them at times that needs picking off and it gets crud under the plastic washer/slide that I have to clean and pick out
When I was using it all the time I actually ended up using a mouth moistened qtip after most grinds to clean the walls and under the washer to prevent build up and keep it smooth
Since last night I am just using it without cleaning or wiping again to compare with the MCH which I haven't done anything but grind weed in and fidget spin
The MCH design only has teeth to walls and no corner parts to gum up
No wall to wall flats or corners

So far the bcg is still a top grinder and deserves all the love it gets
But the MCH cuts quicker and stays cleaner - so far
The MCH reject bin model will get smears on the bottom with extra sticky bud, but it doesn't change the smoothness of the fucntion and the walls and roof stay clean and I haven't had to do maintenance - yet
The bcg needs much less maintenance compared to other grinders I have used and never needs a deep clean, but I did have to clean the walls and it gets smear rings on the whole floor and roof

I will say that I only have the small bcg and I use a fine plate
So that may make some difference
The large bcg might be a bit easier to turn and may stay cleaner
Also a medium or large grind may be easier to use compared to the fine plate and quicker to fall through

The small bcg and fine plate doesn't like much more than .5g without making a mess with sticky buds
The MCH will handle up to 1.5/2g easily

When comparing .5g in both the MCH is quicker

Now the honeymoon is over I can say the bcg is still the beast it was, and the large plus a medium plate may change some of the differences - although Les pics show some build up, just less than my small/fine
But the MCH is still a quicker grind and has - so far - been completely maintenance free and looks very clean except for one smear ring

I think the combination of no metal on metal contact and the sharp teeth are what makes this do its thing so well
I know Ben also did a lot of testing with different teeth options
The reject bin model I have has already been improved upon but was also a number of versions into development

These differences are with sticky buds
With drier weed the BCG and MCH both chew buds up easily and stay clean (except for under the plastic slide washer)
Time will tell if it gets more gummed up with further use or if the teeth get less sharp
Before the MCH popped up I was about to buy the large seconds bcg
The SS at that price and design of this got me to give it a go and I bought a pre-order
Ben was good enough to throw me a reject bin version (he literally grabbed out of the bin) to try in the meantime and I can't wait for the finalised and more refined preorders to be done

So far I love my BCG, but I'm currently having a raging affair with the MCH and it's looking like I may start a new relationship with it and break up with the bcg if the sparks keep flying between us

They are both sexy beasts
I do like the feel and fidget spin side of the MCH too
I fondle and spin often while sitting on the lounge buzzed

I'll keep using the bcg for a few days and see how I go to compare again now I've had a good go at both and give my last love a fair go at relationship counselling 😋
I look forward to using the new version of the MCH too

EDIT
I've had a few video seshes with ppl on 420vz and dyna channel etc and used the grinder
They are all impressed at the speed when they see it happen visually and how clean the inside is when I open it

Last edited:

Adobewan

I've mentioned in other places my more complete comparisons as I use it more each day

I actually broke out the bcg last night again to compare as I have always loved it compared to other grinders and to be fair
I mentioned myself elsewhere in my first feedback about MCH I was in a honeymoon and would return to the feedback later

I picked up a new very sticky strain the other day and have made my first smear on the MCH reject model (that has teeth too long unlike the finalised versions)
It only smeared on the floor in one ring and has not affected the free spin or the no metal on metal contact

Using the same new sticky bud in the bcg last night and today (I'm using it again to give a fair comparison) I find it is still a lovely grinder, but the lid gets gummed quickly like in @LesPlenty picture but worse
It still works very well and better than other grinders, but it takes more turns to fully clear the grind area and has more left behind compared to the MCH
The walls where the two smooth parts of the lid and body meet tend to get weed squashed and stuck in them at times that needs picking off and it gets crud under the plastic washer/slide that I have to clean and pick out
When I was using it all the time I actually ended up using a mouth moistened qtip after most grinds to clean the walls and under the washer to prevent build up and keep it smooth
Since last night I am just using it without cleaning or wiping again to compare with the MCH which I haven't done anything but grind weed in and fidget spin

The MCH reject bin model will get smears on the bottom with extra sticky bud, but it doesn't change the smoothness of the fucntion and the walls and roof stay clean and I haven't had to do maintenance - yet
The bcg needs much less maintenance compared to other grinders I have used and never needs a deep clean, but I did have to clean the walls and it gets smear rings on the whole floor and roof

Also a medium or large grind may be easier to use compared to the fine plate and quicker to fall through

The small bcg and fine plate doesn't like much more than .5g without making a mess with sticky buds

Now the honeymoon is over I can say the bcg is still the beast it was, and the large plus a medium plate may change some of the differences - although Les pics show some build up, just less than my small/fine
But the MCH is still a quicker grind and has - so far - been completely maintenance free and looks very clean except for one smear ring

I think the combination of no metal on metal contact and the sharp teeth are what makes this do its thing so well
The reject bin model I have has already been improved upon but was also a number of versions into development

With drier weed the BCG and MCH both chew buds up easily and stay clean (except for under the plastic slide washer)
Time will tell if it gets more gummed up with further use or if the teeth get less sharp
The SS at that price and design of this got me to give it a go and I bought a pre-order
Ben was good enough to throw me a reject bin version (he literally grabbed out of the bin) to try in the meantime and I can't wait for the finalised and more refined preorders to be done

So far I love my BCG, but I'm currently having a raging affair with the MCH and it's looking like I may start a new relationship with it and break up with the bcg if the sparks keep flying between us

I'll keep using the bcg for a few days and see how I go to compare again now I've had a good go at both and give my last love a fair go at relationship counselling 😋

EDIT
I've had a few video seshes with ppl on 420vz and dyna channel etc and used the grinder
They are all impressed at the speed when they see it happen visually and how clean the inside is when I open it
Dang @felvapes that is a comprehensive analysis.
Big help, thank you!

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker

EDIT
I’d be very interested in seeing you clean both grinders and equally grind in both with same herbs and show comparison of the grinders after X amount. Like I’ve said I have herb ripper and I think I’ve only cleaned once in a couple years, and wasn’t out of complete necessity more so if I remember right my keif catch wasn’t catching any more. So I cleaned it and just did the whole thing because of smears. It’s also fair to say I’ve lived in illegal states where stickiness wasn’t something that can always just be picked up from a store or a grower.

felvapes

I’d be very interested in seeing you clean both grinders and equally grind in both with same herbs and show comparison of the grinders after X amount. Like I’ve said I have herb ripper and I think I’ve only cleaned once in a couple years, and wasn’t out of complete necessity more so if I remember right my keif catch wasn’t catching any more. So I cleaned it and just did the whole thing because of smears. It’s also fair to say I’ve lived in illegal states where stickiness wasn’t something that can always just be picked up from a store or a grower.
I cleaned the bcg before using it again last night - and cleaned the walls after every grind when it was my DD as I mentioned or it gummed up
It's already gumming in the same places and has more smears than the MCH which I haven't ever cleaned
But it did cut/is cutting quicker than prior to cleaning

The small bcg and fine plate may add to this

Last edited:

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

@felvapes that sounds impressive. My experience with BCG and dank weed has been very positive and seems hard to beat. And will be interesting to see if the walls remain so gumphobic. Once I started using conditioned weed me herb ripper got gummed up quickly, quicker than BCG does and BCG doesn't buil up so fast. If MCH can beat this (or even just equal) that's very impressive. Promising!

OMD

Accessory Maker
Hello everyone!, thanks for the patience! Its been a rough ride the last week
😦
As you have seen i am now "Old Mate Designs" I have had to rebrand for legality and payment receiving issues.

I should have my high risk Visa/Mastercard payment gateway (my stable forever payment gateway that deals with smoking/vaping payments) active in the next 48Hours. This has been approved and awaiting account activation. This is safe and secure for you, but unfortunately higher fees for me.

In the meantime i have been in contact with Shopify payments and they see no problems with my new website and are happy for me to start accepting payments again using their system (apple pay, google pay, shop pay etc). I'm still not convinced this is a reliable solution (they can shut this down very fast if someone complains or they feel the need), so i will always have the high risk payment provider as a backup option.

As for the pre orders: I am actually starting to setup to make these THIS WEEK! All things point to you guys getting these slightly earlier at this stage. I'm very excited to share the process along the way via YouTube and FC.

My website is now https://oldmatedesigns.com/ if you want to check it out and jump on the pre order!

Thanks so much for all the support. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have!

felvapes

Hello everyone!, thanks for the patience! Its been a rough ride the last week
😦
As you have seen i am now "Old Mate Designs" I have had to rebrand for legality and payment receiving issues.

I should have my high risk Visa/Mastercard payment gateway (my stable forever payment gateway that deals with smoking/vaping payments) active in the next 48Hours. This has been approved and awaiting account activation. This is safe and secure for you, but unfortunately higher fees for me.

In the meantime i have been in contact with Shopify payments and they see no problems with my new website and are happy for me to start accepting payments again using their system (apple pay, google pay, shop pay etc). I'm still not convinced this is a reliable solution (they can shut this down very fast if someone complains or they feel the need), so i will always have the high risk payment provider as a backup option.

As for the pre orders: I am actually starting to setup to make these THIS WEEK! All things point to you guys getting these slightly earlier at this stage. I'm very excited to share the process along the way via YouTube and FC.

My website is now https://oldmatedesigns.com/ if you want to check it out and jump on the pre order!

Thanks so much for all the support. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have!
This is brilliant mate
So happy to hear you've got the legalities and payment issues sorted
It must have been a real headache
I have been absolutely loving the reject bin model and shared a couple videos on other channels people have been liking
I may make a YouTube for people to see it in action
I look forward very much to trying out the finalised version of your grinder
Or the very first version of the OMD aroma-3 🙂
Can't wait, and also look forward to watching you grow now and seeing what else you have to offer the community
I love this pipe with my DV 😉
Good news Ben and hope it's all smooth sailing for you from here on in mate

Welcome to the vape world
With your legal "aromatherapy devices" for legal herbs 🙂

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I would love to get mine with no engravings on the top.

Or maybe some fancy spiral that changes with spinning speed, for the pro model :p

Edit: Or a counter maybe for us people with short term memory loss.
Or a little wheel that stops arbitrary so we can determine easy who has to clean up the dishes as we grind.

Last edited:

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Or maybe some fancy spiral that changes with spinning speed

I agree, even suggested this to the maker. Indeed a spiral or some lines. Or a few colored dots that form some funky pattern that changes depending on spinning speed.
Could be very cool (for sure when vaked...)! :cool:

I would love to get mine with no engravings on the top.

I would also prefer to have the brand/engravings on the bottom so the top can be designed with focus on the spirals/patterns/dots.
But i do love it in it's current form too so i'll gladly settle for it as is.
Can't wait to enter the spinning game! ;)

OMD

Accessory Maker
I like the idea. I will play around with some different patterns on the top and report back!

New website is up and taking orders but saying Bank deposit for payment. Not sure what that means for something like this but hopefully that will be fixed soon.
Now fixed!

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I like the idea. I will play around with some different patterns on the top and report back!
For Ideas, there was a guy doing such "spinning art" on yoyo's and turntables, I just can't seem to find him on the net now.

Thick Vape,
Reactions: dimmusp
Top Bottom