• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Old Head Hot Rod

If the message was "hey guys I found fifty unopened terp torches, selling 'em for ( new inflation-adjusted COVID era supply chain price) of $350, make sure you order right now due to the humongous demand" then the "artificial scarcity" thing would make sense.
Seems kinda obvious he needs to actually make them to benefit from it.

Having said that, I'm still not sure what sets his "freight train" thing apart from other enail type devices.
I guess if it is entirely USA-made with quality materials it is worth paying a premium over chinese mystery metal.

Anyway,, the guy's making his own choices, for better or worse, it's his business how he wants to run his business.
Doesn't affect me.
I was hoping the next thing he made would be some old-timey telegraph lookin' contraption I'd want sitting on my desk, but I'm not going poop on him online if he decides otherwise, either.

The online peanut gallery is always agreat source of amusement.
Yeah I see what you're saying.

The way I saw it was more:

"Right Old Head is coming out with a new device that looks awesome, he has a habit of releasing devices then they sell out or stop being produced.. I better pre order/buy one of the very first devices to ensure that I don't miss out". I think of it as more as FOMO rather than artifical scarcity, but as I say I don't believe that's what's happening here.

Ah yeah for sure Brian can do whatever he wishes with old tec as you said, doesn't affect me so I don't really care, just hope he gets his money and wish him all the best. I've seen all of old heads devices so far but have never had a chance to try one, hoping someday he releases something that I just can't NOT own as I missed out on the hot rod.

The few dry herbing folks that ended up with the HR are ever so fortunate. Out of experience, (re: monochord71), I plan to use the HR til I’m at least 85 yrs old (I could use a 13yr. warranty). I recently added a SSV with the Ddave mod to check out if I could get a similar punch as the HR. Yes, almost but not quite! Used 1-tenth gram for testing comparison.
I feel the HR is a little more practical to use, but still I use these two every day on a 50/50 basis.
Now, without the mod kit, I get another great hit using the left over SSV (2-tenths) ABV in the HR. That’s why the HR is a Dry-Herb Convection King!

coolbreeze

The few dry herbing folks that ended up with the HR are ever so fortunate. Out of experience, (re: monochord71), I plan to use the HR til I’m at least 85 yrs old (I could use a 13yr. warranty). I recently added a SSV with the Ddave mod to check out if I could get a similar punch as the HR. Yes, almost but not quite! Used 1-tenth gram for testing comparison.
I feel the HR is a little more practical to use, but still I use these two every day on a 50/50 basis.
Now, without the mod kit, I get another great hit using the left over SSV (2-tenths) ABV in the HR. That’s why the HR is a Dry-Herb Convection King!
Yeah, I love this thing and use it daily. Sure hope they get the banking straightened out so whoever wants one can get one. And I'm like you, my DBV gets a lot of usage as well--they both fantastic vapes. Add a DV to round things out with a few conductiony hits and it's a good day!

Right on coolbreeze. I often progress throughout the day starting with WoodScents to SSV43 to HR, should I make it that far! I always rotate the later two.

If I was Bank and saw the dollar value behind this product, I would sure as chit have no issue on a loan provision unless the Lawpunks got in the way. I betting there’s a lot more to the story. Could be similar to a story where industry collaborates and buys out the HR to keep it from the shelf. Remembering the Pete interview, Brian looked more like a million dollar lottery winner than a manufacturer that’s in trouble. The Freight Train appears to be a sweet cousin to something else I’ve seen out there.

I got the 3mm ruby’s through Old Head because of the job they do with the HR. What media do you prefer using in the DBV w/ mod set up.

coolbreeze

What media do you prefer using in the DBV w/ mod set up.
What are you using? I got some 3mm rubies but I never actually modded mine. I took the cover off and made a screen plug for the bottom hole just to see what it would take, but I never really saw a good solution for the top, and I read that any more than two balls distance from the heater, they start draining heat rather than holding it. I guess when it comes down to it I'm not sure it would work as well as it does with the SSV so I haven't seriously looked into solving the kinks.

To be honest, it works pretty darn well off the shelf--I'm a little afraid of what it might turn into.

ra6206.jpg

Back to the topic, do not sell list, indeed. Hot Rod's a great daily driver and weekend blaster. It's too convenient to not need.

Last edited:

ch3r6nz9n

I get that it's old school but old school electronics are much better looking than that box.
!! I got mine 10amyesterday (449am still running continuously!!), immediately cast my eye to my old soviet-issue black ruskie Big Muff!! its an indefatigable fuckin hellbeast as well.. & ugly, lost dials & case corners almost rusted through, but it still screams through a 100w 4x10" but I digress..
I would have paid more for a wood housing from SB for the controller housing - ill consider getting it customised.
Oh there might be 2, or 1 left at HTV. there was 3 last week ; p

qu, do ya'll leave yours on power for 5, 10+ hours? I'm led to believe that's aok by design?

Last edited:

foothilla

So in your view, $120 for a head only injector vape is objectively affordable in the current market?
Affordable? Most people pay $120 for a 1/4oz of top shelf dispensary weed. So, yea, $120 is definitely "affordable" for the average stoner.

Is it good value? That is a more reasonable debate. But, the answer is totally subjective. You might not think nice woodwork is of any value. You might see it as unnecessary fluff, that you don't want to pay for. Other people (like me) love and pay for woodwork.

Is a Martin guitar worth $4,000, when you can buy a similarly constructed acoustic guitar for $400? Depends who you are.

Principal Guy

This is the first vape fired up in the morning and usually the last vape I use to end the day. My other vapes are feeling neglected. So easy to use and maintain. The screen placement in the bowl is ingenious. Love the hot rod with Sticky Brick products. Picked up a Maxx for 420 on POTV. Love to use the dry mouthpiece. Runt is great also with Hot Rod. Also works great with Prrl glass bowl. I sure hope Brian puts out more of these for the world to enjoy. Very special vape, in my humble opinion

Affordable? Most people pay $120 for a 1/4oz of top shelf dispensary weed. So, yea, $120 is definitely "affordable" for the average stoner.

Is it good value? That is a more reasonable debate. But, the answer is totally subjective. You might not think nice woodwork is of any value. You might see it as unnecessary fluff, that you don't want to pay for. Other people (like me) love and pay for woodwork.

Is a Martin guitar worth $4,000, when you can buy a similarly constructed acoustic guitar for $400? Depends who you are.
Spot-on, Foothilla! So well stated.

Crust

Hey folks…just curious how the HR stacks up to something like a b1 or the ilk?

Have read a few vague comments about qc and reliability and negative feedback but haven’t been able to get to anything concrete.

So, does the hot rod stack up or is it more of a shelf queen?

Thanks!

Principal Guy

Hey folks…just curious how the HR stacks up to something like a b1 or the ilk?

Have read a few vague comments about qc and reliability and negative feedback but haven’t been able to get to anything concrete.

So, does the hot rod stack up or is it more of a shelf queen?

Thanks!
Haven’t used my flowerpot since getting the hot rod.

Principal Guy

S&B brushes are great for these types of bowls. :2c:

:peace:
Great brushes, indeed! I’m looking for something “stiffer” . Kind of like a mini toilet brush that fits in the injector bowl! That way you could “scrub” the bowl and screen. Seems like so many Vape brushes aren’t very stiff or don’t have good bristles at top of brush. make any sense?

Principal Guy,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Principal Guy

Xmax makes a mini-bristle brush that they might sell seperately ...
That looks like the davanci IQ brush I’ve used. I also use a Tara boundless brush. Both work but I wish they were bigger and stiffer (I know, that’s what SHE said!)

Principal Guy,

Pukka

That looks like the davanci IQ brush I’ve used. I also use a Tara boundless brush. Both work but I wish they were bigger and stiffer (I know, that’s what SHE said!)
You might look for bottle brushes for scientific glassware on Amazon or one of the chinese sites. Something like a test tube brush might work 🙃

ch3r6nz9n

after a couple months of heavy daily driving, ive noticed a small amount of give in the titanium head, that's *not present when its cool/off. 1st noticed when I felt a component in the handpeice move/shake ever so slightly on use.
Performance is still brutal/perfect.

anyone else noticed this or similar? I love this thing & am dreading the morning it doesn't heat up

ch3r6nz9n,

Principal Guy

after a couple months of heavy daily driving, ive noticed a small amount of give in the titanium head, that's *not present when its cool/off. 1st noticed when I felt a component in the handpeice move/shake ever so slightly on use.
Performance is still brutal/perfect.

anyone else noticed this or similar? I love this thing & am dreading the morning it doesn't heat up
Have mine on much of the day and no problems with looseness, thank God! It will be a very sad day if the hot rod goes kaput.

Top Bottom