Old Head Hot Rod

coolbreeze

Is Hot Rod still on the market? It is no longer available at Sticky Brick or on the Old Head sales site.
The initial run sold out so hard that the banks froze the funds because it looked suspicious. Once bit, twice shy, OH moved on to something with less overhead, is my take.

It's a shame because the HR is a classic piece--it roasts wonderfully--and that low power is great for using with a battery, etc.

What's going on with this machine? Will it come back with a 2.0 version?
We can only wish. Never heard any plans other than Brian's initial hope to bring it back someday. You could contact him and ask, but with the success of the FTs, well, probably less likely now.

Low electric consumption (20W) interests me a lot in comparison with the Freight Train (100W).
Check the logs. Couch Log is ~20w and very powerful.

I would love to get this thing for my sticky bricks 🤩
Couple other options: another injector will also power it, but for a lower power option that is wonderfully effective with a Brick check out the Prrl Neo. Very tasty!

Anyone have information? Do I have to save for his return?
Save for the classifieds. Never heard of anyone selling one, but you never know. Best of luck, I really wish these were available for more people to try!

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
The initial run sold out so hard that the banks froze the funds because it looked suspicious. Once bit, twice shy, OH moved on to something with less overhead, is my take.

It's a shame because the HR is a classic piece--it roasts wonderfully--and that low power is great for using with a battery, etc.

We can only wish. Never heard any plans other than Brian's initial hope to bring it back someday. You could contact him and ask, but with the success of the FTs, well, probably less likely now.

Check the logs. Couch Log is ~20w and very powerful.

Couple other options: another injector will also power it, but for a lower power option that is wonderfully effective with a Brick check out the Prrl Neo. Very tasty!

Save for the classifieds. Never heard of anyone selling one, but you never know. Best of luck, I really wish these were available for more people to try!
I Gave one away for a Christmas present :wave:

coolbreeze

What a fantastic present!! With the HR having fallen out of my rotation I had a moment where I thought about what it might bring me in trade. It was fleeting and I realized the return would need to be something equally unique, which others would be as unhappy to relinquish as I would my HR :D
Well put. I find it so easy and enjoyable that I have to rotate it out so I use my other vapes, too.

bestvaping

@coolbreeze Thank you very much for the informations!

I imagine that I just have to forget it ☹️

I will try to contact the company for more information.

I will inquire out about the Couch Log as well as the Prrl Neo (I absolutely do not know these brands).

The two unit would be compatible with the bricks?

I Gave one away for a Christmas present :wave:

Oh I may be the lucky one? :lol:

Your friends have a lot of luck!

Thank you again for the information.

coolbreeze

I will inquire out about the Couch Log as well as the Prrl Neo (I absolutely do not know these brands).

The two unit would be compatible with the bricks?
I'm afraid the Couch Log will not work with a Brick, to the best of my knowledge, although I suppose one could stick the heater into an 18-14 reducer and try that on the bowl (gonna hafta try this, now!), but he Prrl Neo fits my bricks perfectly and it's untethered. I use it all the time with my Hydrobrick, unless the HR is plugged in. ; ) The Neo will also work with handpipes that fit it, etc, and it is probably the best flavor vape.

You could also look into DDave's desktop soldering iron injector, or a cheap injector build like the B0, Pinky, TiTi, etc.

coolbreeze

(see convectorium
Which oddly doesn't work well with the Hot Rod (here's where you see the limits of its low-power approach: I think it can't keep up with the glass adapter sucking out heat from the head, and can't overcome the distance), but it works perfectly with any 18mm enail-heated injector. In fact, I added another reducer and it even works wonderfully with a Z8 despite the ridiculous distance from the heater to the herbs!

In any case, @CDXX Pipes ' work is gorgeous and he's great to work with.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I'm afraid the Couch Log will not work with a Brick, to the best of my knowledge, although I suppose one could stick the heater into an 18-14 reducer and try that on the bowl (gonna hafta try this, now!
PXL-20221221-181542234-2.jpg
Off-topic for the thread, but I thought I would answer that.

coolbreeze

bestvaping

Thank you it's good to know!

My specifications indicate that the sticky bricks must be compatible (addict to the bricks .. all days).

That's why I thought I got a Old Head, But indeed it turns out that other options is just as nice 🤩

By perhaps hoping for a return of the Hot Rod one day 😇

So many options are interesting here, I don't know where to look 🤣

@coolbreeze Can you share (maybe you've already done it? I did not have time to read all the topic hehe) in the topic The Neo a picture with your brick and this one? that would be great :rockon: Thanks!

coolbreeze

I love the OG OG weird-ass MP and I would love to get a Daisy. My Lily is still one of my most prized vapes.
My Waldo has one, made for a whip. I actually use it from time to time, but usually a glass MP is easier. I haven't tried the others, but the Waldo is such a nice vape, perfect heat path for real.

In fact, the only way to make it better is...to heat it with the Hot Rod! No shit, as good as the HR is for the Hydrobrick, it's even better for the Waldo!

@coolbreeze Can you share (maybe you've already done it? I did not have time to read all the topic hehe) in the topic The Neo a picture with your brick and this one? that would be great :rockon: Thanks!
IMG-0997.jpg

Here the Neo is resting on a silicone O-ring set on the ledge inside the heat chamber/bowl, but usually you would probably just use the silicone sleeve you can see there next to the brick to make a complete seal while hand-holding the Neo. It's important to pull the Neo or at least let it rest between hits as it can overheat, but this is really one of the nicest ways to use either vape.

This thread has sort of turned into "How to enjoy your Hot Rod, if you can find one!" or "How to get a Hot Rod-like experience in a post-Hot Rod world". Have mercy, Bankers!

Last edited:

bestvaping

Thank you so much, It's of all beauty 😍

This little thing interests me I have a lot of questions about this one, I will go read the topic and do some searches.

Thanks for these superb pictures and for having guided me!

A very friendly community here :clap:

Principal Guy

OH Hot Rod is still my favorite, but I’m curious about the Freight Train. Anyone have both?
I have both and rotate between the two. The hot rod is such a beautiful piece. I think it is less likely to stick to the injector bowl than the freight train but I know other people claim the opposite. The hot rod is a little less steady on the stand. I bought the new wooden stand for the freight train and that is 100% secure. Both heavy hitters for certain. I would give the edge to the hot rod just for the sheer beauty of it and the lower power usage.

coolbreeze

I wanted to share that my Hot Rod began to have intermittent heating one evening followed by no heating at all, so I contacted Brian who asked me to mail it out to him for a checkup. About 8 days later it's back on my desk with a new cord and working just like new. Brian's the man, don't hesitate to contact him if you need help!

smeg_it

I wanted to share that my Hot Rod began to have intermittent heating one evening followed by no heating at all, so I contacted Brian who asked me to mail it out to him for a checkup. About 8 days later it's back on my desk with a new cord and working just like new. Brian's the man, don't hesitate to contact him if you need help!
That's awesome, I'm a light user, but I don't know that I can find a vape that better suits me. I vape, in bed while watching TV. The hot rod sits on my night stand and I just use a j hook. Simple and easy. I would like a great portable, but I don't know that anything would replace my hot rod @ home.

coolbreeze

That's awesome, I'm a light user, but I don't know that I can find a vape that better suits me. I vape, in bed while watching TV. The hot rod sits on my night stand and I just use a j hook. Simple and easy. I would like a great portable, but I don't know that anything would replace my hot rod @ home.
That sounds nice an comfy. I rotate it with a couple other vapes that are really good on the desktop. When it's not on the desktop it's on a tray ready to be put into action anywhere it's required, even by battery! ; )

coolbreeze,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
This is the vape. I love this thing. It's a good hit every time. It was fun to find different bowls, pipes and pieces that work with the Hot Rod. There was a lot of overlap with the Neo, and I tried a lot of bowls. Some work better than others, and my HR bowl fell out of rotation while trying various glass injector bowls. When I tried the HR bowl again, I liked it so much, I went to @VGOODIEZ, and ordered three more.
The new bowls are beautiful. Variations of walnut, cherry, and purple heart. I oiled them up, then ordered six more. Each one is a gem, and works with the Hot Rod as if they were made for it.
No regrets about the glass bowls I have. Just really pleased with the Sticky Brick right now.

coolbreeze

This is the vape. I love this thing. It's a good hit every time. It was fun to find different bowls, pipes and pieces that work with the Hot Rod. There was a lot of overlap with the Neo, and I tried a lot of bowls. Some work better than others, and my HR bowl fell out of rotation while trying various glass injector bowls. When I tried the HR bowl again, I liked it so much, I went to @VGOODIEZ, and ordered three more.
The new bowls are beautiful. Variations of walnut, cherry, and purple heart. I oiled them up, then ordered six more. Each one is a gem, and works with the Hot Rod as if they were made for it.
No regrets about the glass bowls I have. Just really pleased with the Sticky Brick right now.
Thank you! Never knew they were making these. I grabbed a few too!
20230206_160414.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom