Old Head Hot Rod

Evildad

Just an update on my support experience. I received my repaired unit today and would note that it was back in the mail within 2 days of delivery. The unit works like new again. Other than a brief silence initially, communication was excellent. Overall it was a good experience.

I don’t know what the problem was but I notice the cord to the heater rod is a different material and slightly different design.

It's semi reassuring to hear this. On 12/30/2021 I sent an E-mail to info@oldheadtc.com , and haven't received any reply as of yet. I explained in
the message what happened and even included my serial #. Had my device for 5 weeks with no issues, then it stopped heating.

Duffer

It is plastic rather than silicone, is thinner and (here at least as I’m vaping a couple feet away from an open door with -30 celcius temperatures at times so YMMV) seems a little less flexible.

I will try to get something tomorrow. Note that I’m not suggesting it’s a new cord (I understand there were different cords during testing) but rather that it’s not the same cord it had originally nor is it the same as my second Hot Rod’s cord.

7765129F-DB07-4301-B6D6-AB4F6A4C2104.jpegHere are before and after pics of the original cord and the replacemeant cord.41FF53DA-B9B5-47AC-AAEF-5CD047B75E7F.jpeg

Duffer

Did they offer any explanation as to the nature of the fault and repair? Was there any indication that the issue was unique to your device? It would be handy to know if there's something we can avoid doing, etc, to help prevent problems requiring repair.
One of the wires in the cable got severed/broken - cause unknown. Brian wondered if the cable had gotten caught on something and had been yanked but, other than the bottom hem of my coat, I had no issues with that. It also could have been a defective wire. Also, apparently it is important that the strain reliefs not be over tightened.

TastyClouds

Ive gotta say that as an Electrician, the thought of conductors breaking inside flexible cords like that is puzzling and kind of makes me scratch my head. They just don't just sever and break, that easily. Both CU and AL conductors should have no problem bending and flexing as they are soft metals that are stranded and are protected by a flexible thermoplastic jacket. I find the severed wire in the flexible cord theory to be very odd but I suppose its possible with manufacturing defects.

As far as trying to pinpoint a common thing we might be doing that causes the failures, I found it interesting he mentioned not over tightening the cord grip connectors. They felt a bit loose to me when I got my unit so I gave them a little turn until it felt "snug" but not tight, and certainly not tight enough that it should cause the wire to sever. I also rattled the handle twice briefly to demonstrate the presence of the balls in the injector to a friend, but again the handle is designed to be moved and should have no issue handling some brief shaking.

Waiting to see what happens with my unit, it is at Oldhead getting fixed. Not too thrilled to see the new cords being used to repair, the shrink wrap looks hacky and detracts from what is supposed to be a very aesthetically pleasing TED. Maybe its just me being anal because making electrical work look good is my job. At any rate, if it is the permanent fix ill be satisfied.

Last edited:

stonedmallone

Got my Hotrod and all I can say is damn! The feel and function are so smooth and pure.

My CH B1 is heavier but for some reason Hotrod is my preference right now.

100% as much as I like my B1 I don’t see myself using it anytime soon lol.
Man everyone says this! I'm not sure I would want a less punchy vape but everyone says they like the hot rod more even though it doesn't but as hard.

stonedmallone,
Reactions: Kudzu407

Steel28

Between 3:30 and 4:30 works great for me, the dimensions (and "drag" factor) of the water piece I use it with seems to play a pretty big role.
Yes this is exactly what I missed! "Drag" factor.

I use Mobius Matrix Ion OG glass and it’s a freaking dream to use with Hotrod. I used it with CH B1 but it‘s just ok lol.

Steel28,
Reactions: Kudzu407

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Between 3:30 and 4:30 works great for me, the dimensions (and "drag" factor) of the water piece I use it with seems to play a pretty big role.

Pretty much been my butter zone as well. I would eventually like to find a MAF with some type of spectral analysis capabilities to study the relationship between variables involved. With a given setup you could create a scatter map to demonstrate the expected convective air temperature passing immediately over your material depth based on input settings and volume/velocity of flows.

Timps27,
Reactions: Steel28

TastyClouds

Ive had my Hotrod back from Brian now for a few weeks. Thanks to Brian for getting it back within a weeks time, and throwing in a Terp Torch stir tool to boot! Awesome support! I basically had an identical repair to Duffers, there was a wire connection issue in the cord and my cord was replaced with the 22AWG Triumph cable. I actually like it more than the original, it coils up easier for me to zip tie it and seems to look better IMO.

I love this thing more every day and I keep finding new ways to use it. Ive found that the amount you load into the bowl has a huge impact on the experience you get, and that you can use it as a session/sipper with larger loads and temp stepping... OR... you can load a small amount just to cover the screen, crank it up to 4 o clock or higher and just nuke the whole thing in 1 hit which gives you the taste and huge vapor all at once instead of getting the taste in the begining and the popcorn at the end. The 1 hitters feel similar to dabs in that regard, all the taste and clouds none of the popcorn.

Im glad I chose this over the flowerpot. My lungs can't even come close to handling the vapor it produces with a full bowl and cranked past 4 o clock. The most I can muster is a bowl 3/4 full at 3:30 with a normal draw. I don't know why you would need or want more power honestly. Even with Twax bowls, all the concentrate gets completely extracted and I don't even get gunk on the screen. Seems to be my endgame setup so far.

Last edited:

TastyClouds

I picked up a really nice cocobolo injector bowl from Ed's TNT and a little glass reducer insert and it's the perfect set up for this!
I definitely need to try that, must work like a dream! Going to grab one as soon as they are back in stock. Ive been wondering how to accomplish this since I rarely use the whole Hotrod bowl. Thanks for the tip!

coolbreeze

I definitely need to try that, must work like a dream! Going to grab one as soon as they are back in stock. Ive been wondering how to accomplish this since I rarely use the whole Hotrod bowl. Thanks for the tip!
He'd probably make some if there's the interest.

I can't get enough of my Hot Rod bowl. It's really a special piece.
It really is. The design's ingenious and it's such a nice hit. Where Ed's bowl seems perfect for quick hits the HR bowl can really be used hit after hit and keep a fairly neutral temp.

It's a similar hit with the bricks, as well, which helps preserves their utility for aging eyes. When the sun goes down, the heat intake comes off and the Hot Rod fires up.

Last edited:
Glad to visit the HR talk. Been using one everyday since November. I share the following:

First go to Edstnt and get his 18mm injector. Pricing is reasonable. Or, chk out REFC Labs JetDryV.

Take a 18mm female glass bowl w/ screen add one scoop. Then add one scoop to the Ed-injector. Stack these two with the Ed-injector on the top. Set dial at 5 o’clock and achieve complete delivery from both bowls, however the lower glass bowl comes out slightly lighter, but is satisfactorily depleted.

The two different bowl temps produce an extreme complexed terp delivery. Tell that to Sneaky! Yeah, this is a champion dry herb knockout!

Top Bottom