Old Head Hot Rod

Duffer

How has support been? This is one of my major concerns as ive reached out to Oldhead with no response.
I can speak on my support experience. My heater ceased working after 5 days so I submitted a warranty question but received no acknowledgement of my claim until 3 days later. However, I had asked in my claim if heir were steps I could take to troubleshooting and Brian took some time to check with them. At this point the warranty ball is rolling and my product is on it’s way back to Old Head. I guess it’s going to be a Tafée Bowle, Tiny Might, splinter Z and Milaana Xmas. In summary I’m happy with my support experience thus far.

Principal Guy

I concur, I think a bowl that doesn’t retain heat, coupled with a long lasting heat sink (balls) at low temp and closer to the material could be an ideal setup for a sipper.
Absolutely! This is my ideal vape for sipping. I have my set at the 2:00 position as I just can’t take the high temps anymore. Leave it on all day and sip away!!!

coolbreeze

That's great - love those old ceramic pieces. Do you have a downstem in it or just using it dry?
I do--the joint sits on a 10mm, 2.5" tube with a 6-slit diffuser. It works like a charm. I also got another with a male joint which works perfectly with a DLX One and basket screen). The one pictured I have currently in another ceramic piece whipped to my DBV; again it works like a they were designed and built as a kit. I've used that one whipped to my Hot Rod-driven Hydrobrick for epic results, as well, and it looks like they will work fine with my small torch vapes (DLX, Noisy Cricket). Downside is there's little feedback besides the chug, though the joint has a little bubble you can see the vapor in as it thickens, but the hits can get enormous quickly while staying deceptively cool. I'm using both the DBV and the HR a notch or two lower than usual to compensate. The VonG is a very tight draw but delivers a big blast, something like the one-hitter bowl of yore (Anvil will deliver deathblows).

I've used each of these ceramics a million times over the decades, and it's nice to have them out and useful again, especially since their second life may just transcend their first!

For those at home digging through your/father's/uncle's/grampa's closets, I bought my grommeted downstems special order from Oregon Glassblower. He makes them with 14 or 18mm joints on 12mm stems normally, but the old metal ones these replace are approx 10mm, so get those, then get GLAZED!

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Just curious @coolbreeze do you have CH flowerpot? Wanted to hear on comparison (unless I missed it somewher)
I don't, unfortunately. Iirc, there are a few comparisons in this thread. I think the CH gear has more raw power, but the baller heads with the injector seems like an effort to allow for smaller bowls made of various materials and lower useable temps closer to the herb, for sipping as well as ripping.

Last edited:

Ripstar

What I do love about the Hot Rod is the temp stepping. I can be at 3 o'clock, stir once, take another pull and get very tasty vapor along with a good size rip for each. Step it to about 4- 4:30, clear the bowl while getting a huge night-ender rip, or, sometimes 2. Like @coolbreeze is saying, the Hot Rod is really a wonderful sipper and BIG ripper depending on load.

The cooling of the wood bowl is really something special.

Duffer

My original Hot Rod is on it’s way back to Brian for repairs. I haven’t been particularly happy with my former daily vapes so I had to jump at the chance to purchase a backup Hot Rod yesterday that may be at my door tomorrow or Monday. Thanks Vape North for the quick shipping (and for just having stock!). 5 days of this vape convinced me. Brian and Kenny teamed up for a grand slam!

TastyClouds

Well I got my Hotrod in the mail last night and did the maiden voyage. Man this thing rips! I'm coming from mixed use of the Mighty and DDaves M Water Wand, so this level of vapor production and power is something I am getting used to. I let it heat soak for 40 minutes for good measure, took a full bowl lightly tamped of some Lemon Amnesia at 3 O clock, and took a full lung full of solid milk that just totally pimp slapped me into another dimension of highness. I got 2 more monster rips at 3 O clock and did a cleanup hit at 4:30 that finished the bowl leaving a good dark brown abv.

The vapor production at 3 O clock was about all I could handle with a full bowl, so I took it lower to about 1:30 on the dial to test out the flavor on the lower temps. This is where it really shined to me, I temp stepped just slightly up each hit but starting at 1:30 got very tasty and robust flavor, and although it was lighter vapor it was still very voluminous and consistent throughout the draw. Id say I got about 3 hits of excellent flavor, 3 hits of good flavor, and like 2 hits of "meh" before it was cashed at 3 O clock. I was impressed with the flavor and responsiveness to temp stepping overall.

This was exactly what I was hoping for in my first desktop vape and im looking forward to becoming intimately familiar with how to get the most out of this thing. One thing Ill say about the cord, I could definitely see why some might have an issue with it. On my unit, the magnets hold the handle nicely, but if the cord is positioned the wrong way against the table it can sometimes influence the handle and make it lean slightly to one side. I have coiled my cord, and ziptied two sides of it leaving enough length at the end to move it up to the bowl, and found this to alleviate the issue.

Going to continue more testing today....

Last edited:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Not yet, but as competitors are already working on wood bowls based on the initial popularity I wouldn’t imagine it will be too long before they get a run of them up for sale.

Planck

believes in Dog
My original Hot Rod is on it’s way back to Brian for repairs. I haven’t been particularly happy with my former daily vapes so I had to jump at the chance to purchase a backup Hot Rod yesterday that may be at my door tomorrow or Monday. Thanks Vape North for the quick shipping (and for just having stock!). 5 days of this vape convinced me. Brian and Kenny teamed up for a grand slam!
Huh, broken down in five days, so you bought another?!
Grand slam indeed.

Duffer

Huh, broken down in five days, so you bought another?!
Grand slam indeed.
I was going to buy a backup anyways as it is an appreciably better vape (for my purposes) than any of my others. I think Brian of Old Head is a standup guy so I have no concern that he won’t fix mine and return it in new condition. Even a Mercedes can break down in 5 days!

Planck

believes in Dog
I was going to buy a backup anyways as it is an appreciably better vape (for my purposes) than any of my others. I think Brian of Old Head is a standup guy so I have no concern that he won’t fix mine and return it in new condition. Even a Mercedes can break down in 5 days!
Thanks for the additional clarification. Glad you found something that satisfies your needs.
:cheers:

Top Bottom