• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Old Head Hot Rod

TastyClouds

Well shoot only 9 days into the honeymoon my Hot Rod is failing to heat up. Ive got power on the cord to the handle so something must have failed downstream. Sent an email to Oldhead about it Monday, waiting for response.

Im stuck inside with work canceled all week for stowstorms so a big blow to lose it right now. Rebounding to the Mighty for now and its getting me by but just doesn't compare. Cant wait for the Ol' Rod back.

Steel28

Well shoot only 9 days into the honeymoon my Hot Rod is failing to heat up. Ive got power on the cord to the handle so something must have failed downstream. Sent an email to Oldhead about it Monday, waiting for response.

Im stuck inside with work canceled all week for stowstorms so a big blow to lose it right now. Rebounding to the Mighty for now and its getting me by but just doesn't compare. Cant wait for the Ol' Rod back.
My Hot Rod is in the mail and I’m a bit concerned. I believe there are multiple similar issues with heating.

Im debating if I should just mail my unopened device back to Vapenorth/Sneaky Pete and get refund WTF really..

Happy Holidays

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I’ve been fairly active in circles with other HR owners and there aren’t any mass failures that I’m aware of. Literally every production run has failures; the 2022 Mercedes Benz production runs will output some vehicles that simply do not work. That doesn’t mean MB is shutting down and we should all return our cars.

Steel28

I’ve been fairly active in circles with other HR owners and there aren’t any mass failures that I’m aware of. Literally every production run has failures; the 2022 Mercedes Benz production runs will output some vehicles that simply do not work. That doesn’t mean MB is shutting down and we should all return our cars.
I have/had most of the top tier vaporizers and maybe I’m wrong but for a hand made artisan luxury device it’s not acceptable (at least to me).

I’m happy to hear about your communication with other HR owners but its your word against at least two or more cases I’ve seen :).

Will see if HR will be staying, I really hope so.

Ripstar

I would check the back for the power supply, you have to push/pull VERY hard to remove or insert.

Ripstar,

Timps27

So it is your belief that other ‘artisan luxury’ creators produced 100% units on their first production run with zero failures or issues?

If you have any reservations about your HR I am certain that it will find a willing and happy home elsewhere.

Steel28

So it is your belief that other ‘artisan luxury’ creators produced 100% units on their first production run with zero failures or issues?

If you have any reservations about your HR I am certain that it will find a willing and happy home elsewhere.
Yes, that’s my belief. I don’t consider myself or neither I have paid "introduction price" to field test the product.

A failure is a failure and waiting for 3 or more days for customer support to get back to me is also not good. I work hard for my money and love to support USA made products but come on LOL.

TastyClouds

Well in all fairness, early on in the Mighty days I had to send the thing back to Oakland about 8 to 10 times for minor issues in a 3 year period. They took care of me every time (until another issue arose) and the Mighty I have now is going on 4 years of continuous use but it was rough early on with S&B.

I understand that components and connections fail, and when you buy a vape that is early in its production you have to expect the possibility that there might be still some things that need to be worked out. Whats most important to me in this, is what I was concerened most with before buying in, and that is the response from Oldhead. Being prompt and professional in dealing with this repair is what matters most to me.

The hard part is resisting the urge to take the thing apart myself and fix it haha.

I would check the back for the power supply, you have to push/pull VERY hard to remove or insert.

Ive used an induction tester to prove where power is/isn't present in the unit. Ive got power to the handle. The failure is in the handle or heating rod.

Steel28

Well in all fairness, early on in the Mighty days I had to send the thing back to Oakland about 8 to 10 times for minor issues in a 3 year period. They took care of me every time (until another issue arose) and the Mighty I have now is going on 4 years of continuous use but it was rough early on with S&B.

I understand that components and connections fail, and when you buy a vape that is early in its production you have to expect the possibility that there might be still some things that need to be worked out. Whats most important to me in this, is what I was concerened most with before buying in, and that is the response from Oldhead. Being prompt and professional in dealing with this repair is what matters most to me.

The hard part is resisting the urge to take the thing apart myself and fix it haha.
Please let us know about their response..

Timps27

Yes, that’s my belief. I don’t consider myself or neither I have paid "introduction price" to field test the product.

A failure is a failure and waiting for 3 or more days for customer support to get back to me is also not good. I work hard for my money and love to support USA made products but come on LOL.

Well if that is your standard you might as well just put away your money and not buy anything. Literally every production run will have failures. Every one. From Sony, Toyota, Microsoft, Apple, Ford, Jaguar, name any company you think is the most amazing perfect never made a mistake company ever. Their production runs all have failures; not had as in past, have as in currently do and absolutely will in the future.

Steel28

Well if that is your standard you might as well just put away your money and not buy anything. Literally every production run will have failures. Every one. From Sony, Toyota, Microsoft, Apple, Ford, Jaguar, name any company you think is the most amazing perfect never made a mistake company ever. Their production runs all have failures; not had as in past, have as in currently do and absolutely will in the future.

This is where you are wrong bro.

Again, you are comparing freaking MASS PRODUCED items with no more than 100 units HAND crafted :bang:

Btw, I drive Tesla and know a thing or two about failures lol.

I emailed to Old Head 2 weeks ago asking product related question. Did I get a reply? No. I still went ahead and ordered HR ;) but not happy with a repeated failure for such analog device lol.

Edit: sorry but as soon as you mentioned Ford and Jag I cant stop laughing. One of the worst automotive brands for failures..

Last edited:

Timps27

Can you provide me any sources for a product that has ever launched a multi-unit production run with 100% unit success rate? I would love to hear what type of QC program they are using, and would like to invest. Could literally save production companies BILLIONS per year.

Steel28

Can you provide me any sources for a product that has ever launched a multi-unit production run with 100% unit success rate? I would love to hear what type of QC program they are using, and would like to invest. Could literally save production companies BILLIONS per year.
No point to continue this discussion with you. Take care and stay safe.

Steel28,

emily

Interesting to read different peoples expectations with vaporizers.

My experience is that the artisanal hand made ones are less reliable and more prone to braking in unusual ways, and the more mass production ones are more consistent and reliable.

To me the hand made ones are sooo much cooler that it’s worth the fiddling around though. In terms of after sale care, I’ve had excellent experiences with artisanal builders.

My takeaway is it’s worthwhile having a sturdy daily driver before you dip into the artisanal stuff if you’re looking to consume daily. That way when I inevitably have issues, I can send it off without it causing me grief.

magtoons

Some additional perspective. I have three hotrods and all of them are very consistent in their performance. I've had no issues with the devices and all of them operate similarly. It's a great device and has become my daily driver for the past few weeks. I have no regrets. The screens gum up a bit faster than others, but they are very easy to replace. Great little device...

TastyClouds

Some additional perspective. I have three hotrods and all of them are very consistent in their performance. I've had no issues with the devices and all of them operate similarly. It's a great device and has become my daily driver for the past few weeks. I have no regrets. The screens gum up a bit faster than others, but they are very easy to replace. Great little device...

If you dont mind me asking, why 3? Just a baller like that and have them in different rooms?

It is reassuring to hear that the general consensus seems to be that the failure rate is generally low based on what we've heard thus far.

Brian got ahold of me within 2 days of reaching out and mine is heading back to Oldhead, so im happy with the responsiveness of support so far.

magtoons

If you dont mind me asking, why 3? Just a baller like that and have them in different rooms?

It is reassuring to hear that the general consensus seems to be that the failure rate is generally low based on what we've heard thus far.

Brian got ahold of me within 2 days of reaching out and mine is heading back to Oldhead, so im happy with the responsiveness of support so far.
I ordered 2 (separately) and received a 3rd by mistake on the last order. I ended up just keeping it instead of sending back. For now I have them set up in different rooms but I'll probably gift one to a friend to bring me back down to 2

Vehmic

Bogwood Ent
It's be real nice to have one of these mounted on the wall if they could get the power controller looking in line with the rest of the design. I get that it's old school but old school electronics are much better looking than that box.

H81975000000000-00-500x500.jpg

luxman.jpg

ba704bbeff92e7685843a8ae1bfebc8c.jpg

Duffer

I can speak on my support experience. My heater ceased working after 5 days so I submitted a warranty question but received no acknowledgement of my claim until 3 days later. However, I had asked in my claim if heir were steps I could take to troubleshooting and Brian took some time to check with them. At this point the warranty ball is rolling and my product is on it’s way back to Old Head. I guess it’s going to be a Tafée Bowle, Tiny Might, splinter Z and Milaana Xmas. In summary I’m happy with my support experience thus far.
Just an update on my support experience. I received my repaired unit today and would note that it was back in the mail within 2 days of delivery. The unit works like new again. Other than a brief silence initially, communication was excellent. Overall it was a good experience.

I don’t know what the problem was but I notice the cord to the heater rod is a different material and slightly different design.

coolbreeze

I don’t know what the problem was but I notice the cord to the heater rod is a different material and slightly different design.
If you can remember, how does the new cord compare in flexibility/stiffness/weight/etc? Does it seem 'better'? Or do you mean that just the wires visible at the head have been changed?

Texus

Just an update on my support experience. I received my repaired unit today and would note that it was back in the mail within 2 days of delivery. The unit works like new again. Other than a brief silence initially, communication was excellent. Overall it was a good experience.

Can we get a pic of the new cord?

Duffer

If you can remember, how does the new cord compare in flexibility/stiffness/weight/etc? Does it seem 'better'? Or do you mean that just the wires visible at the head have been changed?
It is plastic rather than silicone, is thinner and (here at least as I’m vaping a couple feet away from an open door with -30 celcius temperatures at times so YMMV) seems a little less flexible.

Can we get a pic of the new cord?
I will try to get something tomorrow. Note that I’m not suggesting it’s a new cord (I understand there were different cords during testing) but rather that it’s not the same cord it had originally nor is it the same as my second Hot Rod’s cord.

Top Bottom