• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Old Head Hot Rod

Kudzu407

Para-Vaper

Got my Hot Rod today and had time for a short cruise. My handle magnets seem to be fine as I turned it upside down twice and it held in place. Even so I looked close and they are not 100% lined up and still enough to defy gravity. I started out with the dial pointed at the power light,then with it just past the light and a final bowl at about 3 o’clock on the dial.No hot spots or overall scorching on any of the 3 settings. Impressive so far. The 3 o’clock bowl was instant white wall and a little too much for me. I will keep the dial pointed somewhere near the light for plenty plenty vapor.The wood bowl has not seemed to affect taste which is good on first hit and fades quick. I never got to the burnt popcorn taste or even close and that’s impressive. So far wood bowl is a winner.Have a good one.

Texus

Got my Hot Rod today and had time for a short cruise. My handle magnets seem to be fine as I turned it upside down twice and it held in place. Even so I looked close and they are not 100% lined up and still enough to defy gravity. I started out with the dial pointed at the power light,then with it just past the light and a final bowl at about 3 o’clock on the dial.No hot spots or overall scorching on any of the 3 settings. Impressive so far. The 3 o’clock bowl was instant white wall and a little too much for me. I will keep the dial pointed somewhere near the light for plenty plenty vapor.The wood bowl has not seemed to affect taste which is good on first hit and fades quick. I never got to the burnt popcorn taste or even close and that’s impressive. So far wood bowl is a winner.Have a good one.
It is less a matter of magnets holding when turned upside down than the handle sliding off to the side. I am going to need to McGyver some solution that will allow me to rest my mind at ease about this handle. Otherwise, I just don't think that this is safe to keep on without being somewhere that you are 100% certain that it or the cord don't get nudged when the baller part is hot. So bummed.

p.s. Looks like returns are only for unopened items. So no luck for me who only discovered this Achilles heel after opening the box and placing the handle on the base (where I discovered this magnet issue almost immediately).

Last edited:

Vasgas

It is less a matter of magnets holding when turned upside down than the handle sliding off to the side. I am going to need to McGyver some solution that will allow me to rest my mind at ease about this handle. Otherwise, I just don't think that this is safe to keep on without being somewhere that you are 100% certain that it or the cord don't get nudged when the baller part is hot. So bummed.

p.s. Looks like returns are only for unopened items. So no luck for me who only discovered this Achilles heel after opening the box and placing the handle on the base (where I discovered this magnet issue almost immediately).
I'd sell it. Should sell fast because it's supposedly sold out?

Texus

I'd sell it. Should sell fast because it's supposedly sold out?
I'm going to give it some thought and some time. Maybe I can rig something more secure or install stronger magnets myself.

But also wasn't pulling really milky clouds. Certainly not the heavy hitter I was expecting either. Though I do assume that much of that is due to my own learning curve rather than the device.

SixStringToker

Naked member
I was initially worried about the head falling off because the magnets weren't as strong as I'd anticipated. However, in practice, it's turned out to be pretty difficult to actually knock or pull the head completely off the stand with the heat shield installed. I've repeatedly smacked the head sideways (sometimes quite hard), clubbed it with my straight fab and yanked on the cord. While it's not difficult to break the magnetic connection and have the head slip to one side or the other, I have yet to actually get the head to fall all the way off the stand; it always catches on the heat shield.

With mine, if the magnets were any stronger, the base would have to be heavier or it'd need to be attached to the desk to prevent the whole device from lifting with the handle.

coolbreeze

I started out with the dial pointed at the power light,then with it just past the light and a final bowl at about 3 o’clock on the dial.No hot spots or overall scorching on any of the 3 settings. Impressive so far. The 3 o’clock bowl was instant white wall and a little too much for me.
it seems to be a ripper or a sipper.
My experience as well. I've been hovering between 2:15-2:45 for the most part: first couple hits whitewall and I sometimes have to pull away; flavor is outstanding. I get several more "normal" hits after with a heavy screen covering load; flavor is good and slowly tapers off but without becoming noticeably popcorny. I reckon I could turn this up to 4+ and clear this load in a giant hit or two, but I'm not sure I'd retain consciousness!

EDIT: Speaking of consciousness, this thing hits hard. It produces the kind of super-heady convection buzz that an Elev8r or something similar does. There's something about it that reminds me of the initial highs I got as a boy decades ago. Clear-headed but extremely lifted, "High" and not "Stoned."

Last edited:

Texus

So I am curious about how folks are getting their big rips on the Hot Rod. Yes Cannabis Hardware Baller may be an unfair comparison, but my hit at 3 o'clock with a generous Old Head scoop of fine grind flower from Flower Mill. Think I need to get my technique down. Any tips are much appreciated.

Pancakehead430

So I am curious about how folks are getting their big rips on the Hot Rod. Yes Cannabis Hardware Baller may be an unfair comparison, but my hit at 3 o'clock with a generous Old Head scoop of fine grind flower from Flower Mill. Think I need to get my technique down. Any tips are much appreciated.
Lightly tamp the bowl, turn the dial to 3:30 or 4. Make sure you allow ample time for the device to heat soak. I’d say give it 30mins. I tried to give it a 10 min heat soak and hit at 3 and was very disappointed. Left it on and walked away for about 25 mins and packed another bowl and was blown away by how much the heat soak improved the overall experience.

ChreasyBear

Lightly tamp the bowl, turn the dial to 3:30 or 4. Make sure you allow ample time for the device to heat soak. I’d say give it 30mins. I tried to give it a 10 min heat soak and hit at 3 and was very disappointed. Left it on and walked away for about 25 mins and packed another bowl and was blown away by how much the heat soak improved the overall experience.
I've been wondering how long it takes to heat up to full potential! I wonder if cranking up the temperature full blast for 5 minutes, then back down to the desired temperature can reduce the heat soak time?

ChreasyBear,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

stonedmallone

This thing has intrigued me since the first moment I saw it. I'm on the fence though since I own a baller head already, and I feel like they are similar enough. Can someone with both vapes maybe share their thoughts on if it would be worth it?

coolbreeze

thoughts on if it would be worth it?
The baller's a step up it terms of power and dual use (I don't have one). I'm sure my dcelev8r's more powerful and maybe better on flavor, as well.

In my experience, the Hot Rod's more than sufficiently powered for flower, seems to hold temps well, produces flavor and clouds comparable to other heavies, feels comfortable, is dead simple to use, and runs on nothing. I think it shines as a sipper, as an introductory heavy hitter, and as a native heater for Sticky Bricks. I use it with my Hydrobrick as a base and it's evened out the experience of heating for a variety of glass/whips/etc. The bowl produces excellent flavor on my little 14mm recycler. It's kind of an everyday heavy hitter.

So, judging by your list there, you should get one and follow it down the Sticky Brick VAS-hole! It would be totally worth it!

Last edited:

Vasgas

In my opinion, it's not you. The latest HR vids on reddit ain't that impressive either.

Texus

This thing has intrigued me since the first moment I saw it. I'm on the fence though since I own a baller head already, and I feel like they are similar enough. Can someone with both vapes maybe share their thoughts on if it would be worth it?
Obviously I may be the most down on the Hot Rod of anyone in this thread, and 100% admit that I probably have lots of learning to do to get a truly great hit. But dang the B-2 hits so hard, so effortlessly that I'm not sure what the Hot Rod gets you that the B-2 doesn't (and I love that PID cover, headshield and stand for Auber from CH). But I would love to hear the opinions of others with the Hot Rod on this. I'm particularly intrigued by the differences/advantages from using the wooden bowl chamber.

@Monk I assume you mean heatshield and not handle in your post...

Monk

Retailer
Obviously I may be the most down on the Hot Rod of anyone in this thread, and 100% admit that I probably have lots of learning to do to get a truly great hit. But dang the B-2 hits so hard, so effortlessly that I'm not sure what the Hot Rod gets you that the B-2 doesn't (and I love that PID cover, headshield and stand for Auber from CH). But I would love to hear the opinions of others with the Hot Rod on this. I'm particularly intrigued by the differences/advantages from using the wooden bowl chamber.

@Monk I assume you mean heatshield and not handle in your post...
yeah i fucked up i mean heatshield

Mndeadhead

I've been wondering how long it takes to heat up to full potential! I wonder if cranking up the temperature full blast for 5 minutes, then back down to the desired temperature can reduce the heat soak time?
I put mine on a smart plug. It comes on at noon and turns off at midnight. I don’t start until work is done so it sits for a couple of hours. I have Brian’s scoop, and use one scoop, with a tamp. My temp is set to 4 and I start producing vapor within 2 seconds. The heat soak definitely helps

Ionlyknowvape

AN & 4wks of Hydroponic BudSwell (2 more weaks)

Velcro McGyver

Ionlyknowvape,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
nbc 90th special stick to it GIF by NBC

daoist

I hear it is already sold out. i am not sure about that heat shield solution though.
I think it looks pretty dangerous if you ask me. But i only see it on pictures not in real life.

And i also read some comments that people cannot get big hits.. I think you really have to raise the temperature if that is the case.
I Sometimes vape my herborizer at 280c. It is no problem because when you hit it it cools down a lot. and the ABV looks just looks like medium roast coffee grind. You have to dial in your own preference of course. there is nothing wrong with a smaller hit, and some people probably even prefer that. I am really digging the Sativa high, so the lower temperatures are oke for me (220c on herborizer, that is "low temperature")., but sometimes it is just fun to take a cloudy hit and i put it at 280c. still no combustion (unless your heater touches the herbs.).

I have no idea on the hotrod temperatures, but I am very very sure it is possible to get big clouds. because i have seen Troy from the 420vapezone do it. But that guy like to vape on the edge of combustion. sometimes he combusts, but most of the time not. I personally rather not combust, because it is really gross and hard to get the ashtray taste out of the bong, and i certainly don't combust on purpose.

Last edited:
daoist,
Top Bottom