Old Head Freight Train

Slartibartfast67

I got one last week for $50 from USA based online shop called "ritual-co"

But, notch is too narrow with OldHead shield on. Might as well use a double walled steel camping mug instead

Porcelain-cup-holder.jpg

I prefer OH stand, fits and holds well with shield. Porcelain cup gets hot -- that's why they include a coaster. OH simple design has minimal contact area with the train's hot coil arm. Lighter to carry out to balcony (downtown San Diego), and doesn't break like porcelain when I drop it. Brian from OH said another stand idea is on his drawing board

(amazing how well the Bowle keeps up with ball injectors, longer inhale but no multi-part bong assembly)
Cool thanks for the information. Now I know to hold off on the heat shield. I've already ordered the Qaroma cup so I'll use it for now. At least I'm not moving this piece around so that's not an issue. If I ever break the cup I'll order the heat shield for sure.

Slartibartfast67

The large version looks like a great choice! I wish I'd known about these before ordering the nice porcelain one. Thanks for the info. I bet a head with the heat shield would fit in the large version of this.

ChooChooCharlie

@hkdub - Very similar results from either

I was expecting more...
we are "pulling" flow through larger opening
not pushing flow down upon equivalent load diameter

Doesn't seem to matter much though, maybe 14mm pulls a bit to one side

14-and-18-bowl-OH-FT-AVB-comparison.jpg

One scoop around 0.1g, can see screen at couple edges
(no, that's not a seed in there)
Taking another hit after these ten second draws gets things quite a bit darker, but diminishing returns as Brian points out

I use the 18, fits my small piece natively, no clunky adapter
Got that glass for hanging G43 sled -- the circle of vape life

Don Chjun

Hi, does someone knows the pin configuration of the freight train, also I saw that they sell the RDK-300B PID and I would like to know if the upgrades are worth it. Has anyone tried the Qaroma and how does the quartz chamber compares to the titanium one from the train freight?

Don Chjun,

goldenbrown

Hi, does someone knows the pin configuration of the freight train, also I saw that they sell the RDK-300B PID and I would like to know if the upgrades are worth it. Has anyone tried the Qaroma and how does the quartz chamber compares to the titanium one from the train freight?
I can help you regarding the PID update. The Auber it's a focused device for vaping coils, the other one it's an industrial PID that's not focused into anything. The way you can appreciate that it's in added parameters like programing time for shutoff, change fast between preselected temps in boost mode, choose temperature for shutoff if something goes crazy, after turning off the unit you still see the temp blinking and "hot" until goes under your selected temperature, to avoid burning yourself... Also doesn't overshoots like the other unit and the temperature is more stable

Don Chjun

I can help you regarding the PID update. The Auber it's a focused device for vaping coils, the other one it's an industrial PID that's not focused into anything. The way you can appreciate that it's in added parameters like programing time for shutoff, change fast between preselected temps in boost mode, choose temperature for shutoff if something goes crazy, after turning off the unit you still see the temp blinking and "hot" until goes under your selected temperature, to avoid burning yourself... Also doesn't overshoots like the other unit and the temperature is more stable
Hi! Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered one, just waiting for the arrival. I'll report back when i get it. While searching for info on ball vapes the train freight almost never gets mentioned and I don't know why. I've always been a cloud chaser and this head simply rips. It feels like a bong rip but even better!

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
We are spoilt for choice right now it seems, at least as far as ball vapes go. HR, Freight Train, Q/C/Taroma, CH B2/0, Pinky, and many others I’m not mentioning. Great time to be a vapethusiast.

637vape

Has anyone seen the fusion engine in action? I thought troy mentioned he would post a video with it, but I haven’t found anything. Wanted to see the dabbing experience before buying.

fubar

Ancient and opiniated inhaler
Thinking of getting a freight train as there's a local (Australian) supplier.
I currently use DDave mod glassware for the 18mm male heater of an Arizer EQ desktop as my main driver.
I don't want to change much. I really like convection extraction but I'd like more sustained extraction temperatures.
Don't need water at the temperatures I use.

Is it insane to think that I can turn the PID down to an EQ type temperature, and use it upside down - with the 18mm male end uppermost, so my EQ 18mm glass can sit on it the same way it does on the EQ. Is this a thing?

Last edited:

GoldenBud

I currently use DDave mod glassware for the 18mm male heater of an Arizer EQ desktop as my main driver.
the heater of the freightrain is much heavier than the EQ's cylinder heater (because of the beads....) , and also has more surface area. it definately will hit faster and harder

gmo67

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Hi! Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered one, just waiting for the arrival. I'll report back when i get it. While searching for info on ball vapes the train freight almost never gets mentioned and I don't know why. I've always been a cloud chaser and this head simply rips. It feels like a bong rip but even better!
I was looking at the freight train but the taroma/qaroma is so much nicer looking

I got one last week for $50 from USA based online shop called "ritual-co"

But, notch is too narrow with OldHead shield on. Might as well use a double walled steel camping mug instead

Porcelain-cup-holder.jpg

I prefer OH stand, fits and holds well with shield. Porcelain cup gets hot -- that's why they include a coaster. OH simple design has minimal contact area with the train's hot coil arm. Lighter to carry out to balcony (downtown San Diego), and doesn't break like porcelain when I drop it. Brian from OH said another stand idea is on his drawing board

(amazing how well the Bowle keeps up with ball injectors, longer inhale but no multi-part bong assembly)
You're one of a very small group of people I've seen who have that cup vape, are you still loving it? I know it was pretty popular when new

It fits the Cannabis Hardware 3196 Heat Post w insulator
Freight-Train-in-CH-stands.jpg

the Hangar with shield on -- belt & suspenders?
This is one of the nicer holders IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
tinctorus,

ChooChooCharlie

@tinctorus -
I now primarily use the Freight Train. But still enjoy the Bowle -- returned from walk this morning, and did two long draws on Bowle, because I was too impatient to wait for the 5 minute auber PID warmup. That's pretty impatient

Just saw that announcement for new FT with more holes :bang:

ChooChooCharlie,

fubar

Ancient and opiniated inhaler
Mine arrived and it's a beast.
Still dialing it in but in case anyone has EQ DDave mod kit glassware, this thing works wonderfully well as an injector at ~360c for flower, where it powers a very efficient extraction, leaving ABV colour matching about 200c in an EQ.

PID seems to work pretty well. Starts out drawing close to ~200W when it starts heating up from cold here then cycles to approach the set point.
We use "240v" although the power monitor says it's more like 250v, and that's what the supplied coil draws
It's slow to adjust to a new set temperature, but that's what it's supposed to do - move slower and slower close to the set point - so don't get frustrated!
Is the auber a useful upgrade? I already have a switch timer automation in Home Assistant so don't need auto shutoff.

However, no coil guards in stock. :mad:

Blame the supply chain for the stoner engineering abomination that took place as soon as I opened the cute box.
This is not a pretty sight, but medicated me is not going anywhere that thing when it's hot without something between me and most of it.

WIth apologies, in particular to @637vape who owns the thing of beauty posted above, behold my gonzo chinese wire ladle coil guard, with bonus duct tape.

Please do not laugh.
It's a little clumsy using it hand-held but so far so good.
However, in my hands, clumsy sometimes means broken glassware.
A more secure arrangement is currently being carefully considered.

The ladle was hiding unloved in a cupboard, and seemed to be calling me.
It actually works pretty well for my safety needs until the stock one is available.

It even hangs in a rakeish way on the supplied stand as can be seen from the second image. Third image shows an 18mm FF adapter and a DDave wand from the EQ. Needs a stand!

Last edited:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Have a question here for anyone who might know: if I want the Freight Train flower experience and already have an Auber & 20mm coil + stand, would I need to get anything beyond the replacement Flower Engine & Injector + glass bowl (AKA Extraction Chamber)? I don’t see any other parts that seem integral to vaping flower and emailed oldhead but haven’t heard back. I don’t want to assume and be wrong and from lurking around here, knew there were kind hearted folks who would know. Kind-hearted folks who are really good-looking and also wise.

Top Bottom