• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Old City Diffusers

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
First cursory impressions are awesome. The heater is particularly amazing - you notice that the emanation is wide and evenly dispersed.
Having a little trouble making vapor in the horizontal position but the vertical is incredible and I'll experiment more with the horizontal later.

jeffp,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
jeffp said:
First cursory impressions are awesome. The heater is particularly amazing - you notice that the emanation is wide and evenly dispersed.
Having a little trouble making vapor in the horizontal position but the vertical is incredible and I'll experiment more with the horizontal later.

Glad you like the heater, a massive amount of time was put into that design - it is also designed with heated and unheated zones. The unheated zone is near the base to keep the body of the unit cooler, while the top ~half is the heated zone. While this does make it better for the longevity of the unit it also is the reason you have to crank it full power to get vapor from the horizontal chamber, that heated air has to move a long distance before it reaches the stainless steel tip of the horizontal vapor tube. It was designed (distance wise) to keep the horizontal chamber at/around/below ~392F. I find that I get much larger/denser draws after the first couple of pulls from the horizontal vaportube. I also usually keep the VT in the unit between draws, this tends to keep the stainless steel tip "preheated" - that is if you feel as though the herbal blends are not getting hot enough for your taste. Having the unit on 10-15 minutes seems to "season" (can't think of better word?) for the best performance in the horizontal mode, at least for me. Hope this helps a little, if not - I'll try again...

Just some hints...Make sure your horizontal vapor tube is properly seated... this may require a bit of finesse as it is a new unit and the tolerances are tight. you should push the vapor tube towards the center of the until it "stops" but shouldn't require any excessive force - The tip of the stainless is actually stopping upon the ceramic insulator when you insert the vaportube into the unit. A stainless coupling and high temperature FDA approved o-rings completely seal the heated air off from the housing to ensure that your heated air stays clean and doesn't run interference on your herbal blends...

Old City Diffusers,
Reactions: IAmKrazy2

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Thanks Wes, later I'll play with the horizontal with the heater at full blast. One thing I'll say about the vertical that I like alot is that it's true glass on glass. The vapor is massive; in fact insanely so, yet it's noticeably clean and cooler than what you would expect. In short, I took two hits from it last night and I was done. And I tend to do 10 or so hits through the duration of a session just for relaxation. More so if I'm on a quest. Looking forward to reading other users experiences with this. It is very unique and was definitely worth the wait.

Ennui Cookout

I wasn't sure how many days I'd wait before I basically said what Jeff pointed out, vertical mode is excellent the horizontal mode is far more fussy. I don't like having to swap dial settings to move back and forth either, horizontal mode simply requires more heat it seems to get decent hits at settings that are way too hot for vertical.

To be pretty blunt, the horizontal mode simply doesn't produce the sort of excellent hits that I'm getting out of my RockZap. I am not sure if it's the way I pack, the draw technique or simply the wrong temp setting. The RockZap obviously has zero fuss about settings and I still am finding unloading and maintaining stems far less of a chore with the Zap. I'm almost positive that Rick and co. had to spend a lot of time getting their measurements right, down to things such as the diameter of the bowl and its depth, because every time you are done with a bowl, that herbal matter has been heated into this perfect spitwad that blows out clean and fast with one good blow. I've not been able to do this with your previous or current stems, though the vertical stem has been less of a hassle than the original stems. I'm not sure if it's a matter of getting the perfect temp or what, either.

I know that might seem like a really fussy gripe, but I've been hooked on easy cleanup and simplicity with the Zap. That being said, the vertical mode with a 2 O'Clock setting and a decent bit of herb? Totally a rad experience and I'll be spending a good month or so putting it through the paces as my primary vape.

Ennui Cookout,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Ennui Cookout said:
I wasn't sure how many days I'd wait before I basically said what Jeff pointed out, vertical mode is excellent the horizontal mode is far more fussy. I don't like having to swap dial settings to move back and forth either, horizontal mode simply requires more heat it seems to get decent hits at settings that are way too hot for vertical.

To be pretty blunt, the horizontal mode simply doesn't produce the sort of excellent hits that I'm getting out of my RockZap. I am not sure if it's the way I pack, the draw technique or simply the wrong temp setting. The RockZap obviously has zero fuss about settings and I still am finding unloading and maintaining stems far less of a chore with the Zap. I'm almost positive that Rick and co. had to spend a lot of time getting their measurements right, down to things such as the diameter of the bowl and its depth, because every time you are done with a bowl, that herbal matter has been heated into this perfect spitwad that blows out clean and fast with one good blow. I've not been able to do this with your previous or current stems, though the vertical stem has been less of a hassle than the original stems. I'm not sure if it's a matter of getting the perfect temp or what, either.

I know that might seem like a really fussy gripe, but I've been hooked on easy cleanup and simplicity with the Zap. That being said, the vertical mode with a 2 O'Clock setting and a decent bit of herb? Totally a rad experience and I'll be spending a good month or so putting it through the paces as my primary vape.

Sorry about your experience so far. The horizontal / vertical vaporizing position was made so that you could choose either / or, I can see why changing back and forth would be discouraging if you did it often enough. I'm not sure who Rick is I have heard mentioned or Rockzap, so I can't comment much on the comparison. What part of the stems is a chore to take care of? maintenance issue, or ease of use?

Old City Diffusers,

Ennui Cookout

Ah, sorry for the confusion. Rick is the poster here who makes the AromaZap/RockZap log vapes here. Anyway the main issue with the stems would be cleanup, when you're ready to empty the bowl and load in fresh herb. With your stems, I can try to blow it out and it does come out in a spray of herb but there's still times where I have to go in with a toothpick and clean just so the spent herb doesn't build up too terribly and restrict airflow.

On the Zaps, I almost never have to clean my stems because it literally cooks up all the spent herb into a spent wad of herb that you can spit out from the stem right into a jar or bag or the trash or whatever. The bowl chamber comes out mostly pretty clean and I've never really had to pick at it since airflow remains pretty consistently solid between loads.

I suppose this is really something you need to experience, but the difference in maintenance is very noticeable to me. Again, I'm not sure exactly what makes the Zap's stems to easy to maintain, I suspect it's a combination of the size/shape of the bowl and the fixed temperature just work really well together. It's entirely possible I might stumble upon a good technique with your vape that would give me these results and likely the same sort of hits I get off of the Zap, but I've not found it yet.

I've also had more cases of small bits of herb falling onto the vertical screen and then cooking than I'd like, but I simply just need to hold the vape a bit more carefully to minimize that.

Honestly, this isn't to be taken as seriously critical criticism, I think the only other thing I could complain about is that this unit no longer has the nice curved softball shaped grip like the previous OCD I had did, which was easily my favorite grip out of any vape I've used since it rested very comfortably in my hand. This one feels a bit too large to casually hold.

Overall, I really like the vertical mode and have found it to get really good results at lower temperatures. I've owned seven different vapes now and yours is among the top of them for me.

Ennui Cookout,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I personally haven't found any issue with the stems regarding cleanup. The few times I've used the OCD the ABV blows right out, as it does with any other stem from any other similarly themed vaporizer.
Occasionally I use a toothpick to clean stems with the log vapes, it's just the cost of doing business.
I use the straw sucking inhalation technique, the material is dry and ground, and I don't pack it - I let the material lay loose inside the stem - as we do with many other fine vaporizers.
I believe that there is going to be a bit of a learning curve to master the OCD, but I too have not gotten superb results with the horizontal but the vertical is quite amazing.
The learning curve, as I see it, is learning how to tame this very powerful device in vertical mode so the hits aren't overpowering.
And to be realistic, if it turns out that I use only the vertical mode and enjoy consistently fantastic results, then this is a great vaporizer.

Wes, what temperature setting do you recommend for the vertical? I'm still experimenting but 2 seems just about right.

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
jeffp said:
I personally haven't found any issue with the stems regarding cleanup. The few times I've used the OCD the ABV blows right out, as it does with any other stem from any other similarly themed vaporizer.
Occasionally I use a toothpick to clean stems with the log vapes, it's just the cost of doing business.
I use the straw sucking inhalation technique, the material is dry and ground, and I don't pack it - I let the material lay loose inside the stem - as we do with many other fine vaporizers.
I believe that there is going to be a bit of a learning curve to master the OCD, but I too have not gotten superb results with the horizontal but the vertical is quite amazing.
The learning curve, as I see it, is learning how to tame this very powerful device in vertical mode so the hits aren't overpowering.
And to be realistic, if it turns out that I use only the vertical mode and enjoy consistently fantastic results, then this is a great vaporizer.

Wes, what temperature setting do you recommend for the vertical? I'm still experimenting but 2 seems just about right.

I shoot between 11 & 2, never usually going over the 2-3 o'clock mark on vertical. I notice different notes/tones between 11-12 in comparison from 1-2. Vertically, I just mindlessly crank to full.

I could just offer this as a vertical vaporizer? and remove the horizontal option, just food for thought. Perhaps the two in comparison to each other are viewed unequally rendering the other experience less pleasurable due to those differences? I find each to be useful in their own respect but that is just me, exactly why I am here - to see what and how you guys feel about an idea...

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Ennui Cookout said:
Ah, sorry for the confusion. Rick is the poster here who makes the AromaZap/RockZap log vapes here. Anyway the main issue with the stems would be cleanup, when you're ready to empty the bowl and load in fresh herb. With your stems, I can try to blow it out and it does come out in a spray of herb but there's still times where I have to go in with a toothpick and clean just so the spent herb doesn't build up too terribly and restrict airflow.

On the Zaps, I almost never have to clean my stems because it literally cooks up all the spent herb into a spent wad of herb that you can spit out from the stem right into a jar or bag or the trash or whatever. The bowl chamber comes out mostly pretty clean and I've never really had to pick at it since airflow remains pretty consistently solid between loads.

I suppose this is really something you need to experience, but the difference in maintenance is very noticeable to me. Again, I'm not sure exactly what makes the Zap's stems to easy to maintain, I suspect it's a combination of the size/shape of the bowl and the fixed temperature just work really well together. It's entirely possible I might stumble upon a good technique with your vape that would give me these results and likely the same sort of hits I get off of the Zap, but I've not found it yet.

I've also had more cases of small bits of herb falling onto the vertical screen and then cooking than I'd like, but I simply just need to hold the vape a bit more carefully to minimize that.

Honestly, this isn't to be taken as seriously critical criticism, I think the only other thing I could complain about is that this unit no longer has the nice curved softball shaped grip like the previous OCD I had did, which was easily my favorite grip out of any vape I've used since it rested very comfortably in my hand. This one feels a bit too large to casually hold.

Overall, I really like the vertical mode and have found it to get really good results at lower temperatures. I've owned seven different vapes now and yours is among the top of them for me.

Thanks. I will take your word for it on the comparison, at this time I don't believe I'm able to design a simpler stem, particularly the vertical one - A simple 14/23 boro glass stem with a stainless steel filter - it was built with cleaning and ease of use in mind. I usually end up stirring the herbal blends once or so during each session so that chunk of molded mass is usually not possible once you give it a first stir, it appears that the wad is usually the result of the vaporizer completely removing all traces of moisture and oils, leaving a skeleton of the plant biomass - I find that even under gentle stir this ends up a loose / finer mixture which will usually get another 1-2 more draws. Doing it this way would not solve your "exiting problem", at least for the vertical feature - this glass joint is a tapered or conical shape, and would make a better plug then a wad, but I find that the taper comes into play because the natural "keystone affect" that helps keep the blends in their spot during (transport) use, but I realize not always. Perhaps you'll find a good temperature where you can find a consistency that's right for you, after all - once you stop turning the dial it becomes a "fixed vape", you just happen to get to choose where you fix it. Let me know if you have any questions, I hope you enjoyed some of your time with the unit..

Old City Diffusers,
Reactions: IAmKrazy2

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Looking forward to trying the vertical and 11-12 - that might well be the sweet spot as 2 was a little too intense for these old lungs.
Wes, don't base any future design decisions on just the two of us. I'm hoping other users start posting their findings and experiences so the feedback is across a broader spectrum.
That said, as far as the horizontal goes, I bet down the line OCD v3 would address this, perhaps offering a more evenly divided dispersion of heat between the two modes.
As is, the is a phenomenal vaporizer and also I like the black plastic on/off heater level dial better than the wood dial that you had with the first unit.
In several ways I like the aesthetics better with this newer version.

jeffp,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
jeffp said:
Looking forward to trying the vertical and 11-12 - that might well be the sweet spot as 2 was a little too intense for these old lungs.
Wes, don't base any future design decisions on just the two of us. I'm hoping other users start posting their findings and experiences so the feedback is across a broader spectrum.
That said, as far as the horizontal goes, I bet down the line OCD v3 would address this, perhaps offering a more evenly divided dispersion of heat between the two modes.
As is, the is a phenomenal vaporizer and also I like the black plastic on/off heater level dial better than the wood dial that you had with the first unit.

Totally understandable, the reason why everyone received the cylindrical style bodies is because I believe it works with the new design better, less top heavy & a lower center of gravity with a wider base. I wanted to hear how everyone felt about this particular design/shape as this is the one I'm leaning towards for the "package" units, of course I can still do the hourglass but it may be a taller and more cumbersome in comparison. I believe the most versatility, ease of use, and the lower power consumption of the vertical setting really does tromp the horizontal feature.I also think that newer units will ship with 8 foot chords - Think people would like just a few more feet? I would still offer custom sizes and double length chords as well...

I could focus on increasing the performance/taste/experience/features of the vertical position and leave the horizontal position as an option for those that like the features of that style. A cap or stainless press-fit thimble is also in the works that will just work as a cap to contain all the blends for easy transport & less cleanup - but shouldn't hold up opening the store, of course I can just ship a stainless filter when it becomes available...What would your 'ultimate' OCD stem be?

I also am working on a unit solely for oils/waxes/ legal concentrates that uses a heated titanium dabber, although this is in the design stage ( sorry no good pictures of that yet)...I don't know how much interest there will be on a vaporizer forum but just another OCD idea in the works..

EDIT: was incoherent at first.. tried to fix spelling/grammar

Old City Diffusers,

Ennui Cookout

I think what you've hit upon with the vertical mode is compelling enough to stand by itself without the extra horizontal mode if that's something you're considering -- especially if it'd open up more shape possibilities by ditching the horizontal port. A few extra feet in cable length would also be pretty rad.

My comments regarding stem cleanup were mostly in regard to the horizontal stems compared to my zap stems, the vertical design I couldn't see any sort of easy improvement on, other than perhaps a thimble cap or something to close the bowl chamber similar to the VXC Cloud and Epicvape EV-1's bowls -- that'd be nice since I sometimes get little bits of herb that fall onto the heater screen and char when doing vertical. Again, sorry if it seemed like I was being overtly critical, I really do like your work and I've been using the vertical mode exclusively as my only vape this week.

Really, you've got something unique here. It's a pretty big hitter of a log vape that heats up quick.

Ennui Cookout,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Old City Diffusers said:
jeffp said:

Totally understandable, the reason why everyone received the cylindrical style bodies is because I believe it works with the new design better, less top heavy & a lower center of gravity with a wider base. I wanted to hear how everyone felt about this particular design/shape as this is the one I'm leaning towards for the "package" units, of course I can still do the hourglass but it may be a taller and more cumbersome in comparison. I believe the most versatility, ease of use, and the lower power consumption of the vertical setting really does tromp the horizontal feature.I also think that newer units will ship with 8 foot chords - Think people would like just a few more feet? I would still offer custom sizes and double length chords as well...

I could focus on increasing the performance/taste/experience/features of the vertical position and leave the horizontal position as an option for those that like the features of that style. A cap or stainless press-fit thimble is also in the works that will just work as a cap to contain all the blends for easy transport & less cleanup - but shouldn't hold up opening the store, of course I can just ship a stainless filter when it becomes available...What would your 'ultimate' OCD stem be?

I also am working on a unit solely for oils/waxes/ legal concentrates that uses a heated titanium dabber, although this is in the design stage ( sorry no good pictures of that yet)...I don't know how much interest there will be on a vaporizer forum but just another OCD idea in the works..

I am interested in a electrical powered log vape with titanium dabber specially meant for concentrates. If you have any estimate/expected prices on that future unit.. I would love if you share them by e-mail or here ;).
IMO you should give up the idea of the horizontal draw.. Sometime i like to get airy flavorful low temp heats so i can enjoy taste longer... + IDK about other but i don't think that vaporizers only goal is to use MJ.. I use many herbs that vaporizer at weaker temps than MJ .. and get burnt and taste is fucked up even at lowest DBV setting.. (the only way to use them with DBV is a cold start of the unit..) >..

Abysmal Vapor,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Abysmal Vapor said:
Old City Diffusers said:
jeffp said:

I am interested in a electrical powered log vape with titanium dabber specially meant for concentrates. If you have any estimate/expected prices on that future unit.. I would love if you share them by e-mail or here ;).
IMO you should give up the idea of the horizontal draw.. Sometime i like to get airy flavorful low temp heats so i can enjoy taste longer... + IDK about other but i don't think that vaporizers only goal is to use MJ.. I use many herbs that vaporizer at weaker temps than MJ .. and get burnt and taste is fucked up even at lowest DBV setting.. (the only way to use them with DBV is a cold start of the unit..) >..

I'll always share what I have done, I try remain open and clear about what I'm doing but I'm still much in the R&D phase on the oil rig, fortunately some components will cross over which makes additions and new possibilities much quicker and easier to perform...

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Ennui Cookout said:
I think what you've hit upon with the vertical mode is compelling enough to stand by itself without the extra horizontal mode if that's something you're considering -- especially if it'd open up more shape possibilities by ditching the horizontal port. A few extra feet in cable length would also be pretty rad.

My comments regarding stem cleanup were mostly in regard to the horizontal stems compared to my zap stems, the vertical design I couldn't see any sort of easy improvement on, other than perhaps a thimble cap or something to close the bowl chamber similar to the VXC Cloud and Epicvape EV-1's bowls -- that'd be nice since I sometimes get little bits of herb that fall onto the heater screen and char when doing vertical. Again, sorry if it seemed like I was being overtly critical, I really do like your work and I've been using the vertical mode exclusively as my only vape this week.

Really, you've got something unique here. It's a pretty big hitter of a log vape that heats up quick.

I agree on the horizontal mark, the biggest limiting factor is the combination of the heater and the temperature controller - Its a pretty utilitarian setup if you ask me. Working on that cap, and that will fix that problem. Its perfectly fine about being critical, this is the spot for reviews, critiques, rants - I'm glad we can all talk to each other with respect, I don't see that much in forums (or in the "real" world.)

Old City Diffusers,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Right, at best this forum does serve as a "think tank" for all things vapor related.
As is, this is a beautifully designed log vape in vertical mode, with a superior heater and very fast warm up time, with very high quality glass.
What I also see as also being unique is that it's not an interlocking situation between stem and base unit. Glass touches glass and then BAM!
I also like the fact that the OCD is ruggedly hard wired similar to the SSV rather than an AC adapter.
In many ways you've re-conceptualized what a log vape could be and yes, there are issues with the horizontal but OCD v3 should address that, as you say, and it's going to be quite amazing.

jeffp,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
OCD_Cube.24132204_large.JPG

Here is a picture of the new "hands-free" styled units. Same quality parts, just a different setup - primarily to be used with a tube/mouth piece setup.

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Here is the whole body. Will probably come with 8-foot chord. I can do either type of dial. Will come with handspun hardwood mouth piece or a borosilicate glass mouth piece. I finally found the perfect tubing for these, silicon, FDA approved, High Temperature, I believe its the perfect wall and a good durometer, doesn't kink easily either - all will come with package. Let me know if the pictures are crossing a line and I'll remove them...

OCD_hickory_rosewood.24132241_large.JPG

Thats pretty dope. You should make the horizontal the 14MM so material would be less prone to falling onto the heating element. How do people like the 14mm bowl instead of the typcial 18mm? Also please standardized the size of the pd horizontal bowl.

biojuggernaut,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
Thats pretty dope. You should make the horizontal the 14MM so material would be less prone to falling onto the heating element. How do people like the 14mm bowl instead of the typcial 18mm? Also please standardized the size of the pd horizontal bowl.

Thanks. Horizontal won't get enough BTU's to vaporize near the temperatures you would like given the capacity of a 14/23 glass joint. I could offer adapters and/for 18 mm stems for the vertical feature but would have to be in the future. I'm contemplating removing the horizontal feature from the line up and more towards offering it as an option. Would you like an optional 18mm vert stem and setup?

Old City Diffusers,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
As I'm getting to know the OCD more I'm finding that the 12 to 1 settings are ideal. The warmup time is fast as Wes describes, but it performs even better I think after it's running for 20-30 minutes.
The unit came with three glass stems and one of them is designed slightly differently where it fits into the vertical for top loading and seals into place rather than interlocking the stem into the unit.
That's nice. The other two stems that I think are designed for the horizontal mode also work well with the vertical. It's simply glass touching glass and the hits are phenomenal. Not sure which style stem I like better.
I've moved from using the straw sucking technique to simply dropping some material into the tip. Not sure how much material is advised compared with the log vapes we're familiar with.
I'll have more to say about the unit's efficiency as I understand that more fully along with manipulating the heater through a load.

jeffp,

Ennui Cookout

One tip for those who happen to have the new OCD design.. I've found that lightly blocking the air-flow via the horizontal heat port not only cuts down on the whistling sound but also gives a nicer drag to the vertical mode hit. May not be for everyone, but it's certainly worth trying. Don't stick your finger in the port or nothing, but lightly covering half of it with a finger while pulling a hit does change things a bit. Your mileage may indeed vary!

Ennui Cookout,
Top Bottom