• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

NYtimes' WireCutter Review "Best Portable Vaporizer" Discussion

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
I could not believe the vapes on their list lol, especially the Hopper IO, I think it seems like a great device when it works but imagining all the clueless people just going off the strength of Wirecutter and ordering one... lmao

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I could not believe the vapes on their list lol, especially the Hopper IO, I think it seems like a great device when it works but imagining all the clueless people just going off the strength of Wirecutter and ordering one... lmao

Haha yeah I purchased a blue IO during the 420 sale at the end of April, there was no shipping estimate but people emailing said they were told May, and that was clearly not true as per usual... Feeling refund likely!

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
Haha yeah I purchased a blue IO during the 420 sale at the end of April, there was no shipping estimate but people emailing said they were told May, and that was clearly not true as per usual... Feeling refund likely!
sheesh i was thinking of getting one of those eventually after my TM but I ain't got time for that nonsense lol. hopefully they can get it together one day

Shit Snacks

sheesh i was thinking of getting one of those eventually after my TM but I ain't got time for that nonsense lol. hopefully they can get it together one day

I have an original SS, from when they opened a pre-orders months after the indiegogo ended, also blue TI that I had sold, the SS had been warrantied a few times with replacement parts, current back end probably needed it again but I never wanted to bother since I knew how bad that all had gotten by that time... So then once I got max vapor PA last year, the first one got stuck to the back end unusable, fortunately he sent me another so I quickly bought a new Ti GH from vgoodiez when they started selling them, so I could use my PA despite the extra cost... And then of course that unit cannot fully extract, runs too cool, but with a stroke of luck he calibration stuff must be in the body, so I was able to use the titanium back end with the replaced max vapor PA with the SS original body... I also have a titanium heat treated performance front end from another member here trade... So yeah it is a solid little desktop unit that can get you pretty wrecked pretty quick but it is a little buggy and problematic in some spots heat wise, used through jayhooks. But so my original blue TI that I sold, did work fairly well and consistently and I could use it out and about, before I reliably started getting cartridges here in California, but really the Milaana was more useful, in super stealth situations even, and yeah now TM and FW7 are phenomenal regulated evolutions from that for me... But I still had this fantasy of using the hopper like I would a pen cartridge you know anywhere, and I think I am just lying to myself because they didn't actually fix any of the flaws I had the most problems with with the IO (hot vapor, hot body, stupid pen clicker trigger), so yeah probably going to cancel because other purchase opportunities are arising and HL seem to pretty clearly not give a shit about their customers like at all? :rofl:

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
But I still had this fantasy of using the hopper like I would a pen cartridge you know anywhere, and I think I am just lying to myself because they didn't actually fix any of the flaws I had the most problems with with the IO (hot vapor, hot body, stupid pen clicker trigger), so yeah probably going to cancel because other purchase opportunities are arising and HL seem to pretty clearly not give a shit about their customers like at all? :rofl:
Thats why i originally wanted one, so I didn't have to turn to vape carts. Ended up using carts half of my hike at Hocking Hills last weekend anyway so ill just buy one and use that when out and about. But yea that is a lot to go through, I don't have the patience for all of that with any company. They still don't seem to be getting it

Shit Snacks

Thats why i originally wanted one, so I didn't have to turn to vape carts. Ended up using carts half of my hike at Hocking Hills last weekend anyway so ill just buy one and use that when out and about. But yea that is a lot to go through, I don't have the patience for all of that with any company. They still don't seem to be getting it

Yeah and when it comes down to it an oil cartridge is just so so so so so much more convenient, while the TM and FW7 are just so so so so so so so much more enjoyable!

cptofnthng

i think except the first commentator, all of you guys missed the articles' central point. because i dont see many people here praising their air vape x by now.
im going to see if someone trades my firewood 7 for it.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
I hardly ever trust most of these articles, seems to be made by people who just want to push articles and probably don't really know what they are talking about.

Community opinions are always better.

Also, a lot of these guys have agendas to push certain products, I seen this before.

scy123,
Reactions: RobbIt

Shit Snacks

Not sure if this article will be read-able here.
The product I'm saying ....hmm to is The Wirecutter itself. It is NYTimes tech product review guide.

The 4 best portable vapes for 2022.
Really.

I think there may be just a couple of mistakes here.

Really? Pax3 at the top of the heap! Woot!
It hurts my brain to read this drivel...!
I'm gonna go calm down, toke up and do the Wordle ...

Damn they're at it again...

Even though I would disagree with the recommendations at the top, in the body below it does mention my two current favorites (TM & FW7 -- though it really bothers me they say the TM is unavailable as of spring 2021, which is just blatantly factually false! Doesn't the website say shipping within 4-6 weeks, and we all know it is actually 1-2 weeks now, so it makes me think they just clicked on the link and saw a pre-order and assumed it wasn't available at all?? Silly lol somebody please tell them)

Wirecutter modus operandi is publishing an article and the updating it. The wording makes me assume the first version (or one of the versions) was first published in spring 2021 when TM was unavailable. Current version is from August 2022 but it seems proofreading ain't what it used to be hence the leftover bit about TM.

Content wise it's a mainstream article that might introduce some people to new vapes but it's not, IMO, something that would fascinate a FC member. It's like when Pitchfork/Rolling Stones do your favorite non-mainstream band - they get stuff wrong and usually select the most popish album/songs as their favorite.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Content wise it's a mainstream article that might introduce some people to new vapes but it's not, IMO, something that would fascinate a FC member
I agree with the intention is not artisan custom devices. That being said, I would argue these are still not ideal recommendations. ALP is a good recommendation if you get it at a decent discount. Pax should really be in the overpriced category. The firefly is going to frustrate a lot of casual vapers.

Where is the Xmax v3 pro? Very popular, great mainstream vape? The Roffu? Also no torch vapes? Seems natural for someone coming from the world of cannabis combustion.

I suspect it is more driven by affiliate codes rather than actual top portable experience.

Last edited:

hoptimum

It seems like a composite of opinions from what Wirecutter believes are credible sources rather than a thoughtful piece based on the editor's hands on experience. By trying to please everyone, they may have done the opposite.

hoptimum,
Top Bottom