NYtimes' WireCutter Review "Best Portable Vaporizer" Discussion

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Just found this article in a google, seems like it was updated for 420 this year:

Even though I would disagree with the recommendations at the top, in the body below it does mention my two current favorites (TM & FW7 -- though it really bothers me they say the TM is unavailable as of spring 2021, which is just blatantly factually false! Doesn't the website say shipping within 4-6 weeks, and we all know it is actually 1-2 weeks now, so it makes me think they just clicked on the link and saw a pre-order and assumed it wasn't available at all?? Silly lol somebody please tell them)

Screenshot-20210425-152530.png

Then there is no mention of Healthy Rips at all! Glaring omission along with any mod-based convection vapes (other than TP80) perhaps... Or anything torch based? And of course everyone's hot topic, Tafée Bowle!

arb

Semi shaved ape
Just found this article in a google, seems like it was updated for 420 this year:

Even though I would disagree with the recommendations at the top, in the body below it does mention my two current favorites (TM & FW7 -- though it really bothers me they say the TM is unavailable as of spring 2021, which is just blatantly factually false! Doesn't the website say shipping within 4-6 weeks, and we all know it is actually 1-2 weeks now, so it makes me think they just clicked on the link and saw a pre-order and assumed it wasn't available at all?? Silly lol somebody please tell them)

Screenshot-20210425-152530.png

Then there is no mention of Healthy Rips at all! Glaring omission along with any mod-based convection vapes (other than TP80) perhaps... Or anything torch based? And of course everyone's hot topic, Tafée Bowle!
Time for me to trash my portables and grab a airvape x stat!

Shit Snacks

Time for me to trash my portables and grab a airvape x stat!

What's ridiculous, is in the write up about the grasshopper and the firefly, they explain how both are better all around, it's not until the competition section at the end where they basically list all the other popular conduction session vapes that lost out to the airvape... So it seems like they were always going to give the top spot to one of those... I just can't imagine it shouldn't be a healthy rip vape in that slot? Many factual errors throughout...

delicatebunting

In a battle for great vapor flavor, the Storz & Bickel Crafty, Arizer ArGo, and DaVinci IQ would all rank very close to one another. All three had rich flavor that made our taste buds sing. The ArGo also had particularly smooth vapor, though the IQ and Crafty weren’t far behind. But all three devices are expensive, and the flavor is the only real advantage. Each one had other disadvantages too—cleaning problems with the Crafty, durability concerns when traveling with the ArGo, and a combination of cleaning and interface flaws with the IQ.

Embarrassing.

Your favorite craft beer is expensive and the flavor is the only real advantage over our pick, Bud Light. 🙄

Shit Snacks

Embarrassing.

Your favorite craft beer is expensive and the flavor is the only real advantage over our pick, Bud Light. 🙄

I know, when they praised the flavor of the grasshopper and firefly in particular as why they are worthy splurges, but do not mention these others until the end bc the airvape's value?? Also who would pay full retail price on these ones in particular, they can all be found much cheaper, like ArizerGo is not expensive if you're suggesting GH and FF!

delicatebunting

I know, when they praised the flavor of the grasshopper and firefly in particular as why they are worthy splurges, but do not mention these others until the end bc the airvape's value?? Also who would pay full retail price on these ones in particular, they can all be found much cheaper, like ArizerGo is not expensive if you're suggesting GH and FF!

That's their entire discount of the Mighty:

The Storz & Bickel Mighty is a widely liked vaporizer that has held a high standard, in reviews on Planet of the Vapes and elsewhere, for years. When we evaluated a Mighty in a panel test, all agreed its vapor quality was excellent, but we felt the stronger value was in vaporizers that produced nearly as tasty a result for a fraction of the price. The Mighty has held steady at $349 for years; there are excellent options, including our picks, for at least $100 less. The Mighty is also notably bulky alongside the more pocketable options we recommend.

Great product from a long-time brand, unanimously recommended. Nah, too expensive.

You get what you pay for.

Shit Snacks

I’ve been perusing Wirecutter reviews for over a year. IMHO, most of those reviews do not represent the best in class choices and often omit obvious contenders altogether. This one seals it—I’m unsubscribing.

Ha, the funny thing is, this is the first mainstream review I've seen mention any niche artisan products, I mean they even consulted with vaporizer wizard, and yet...

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
^this x100, the more mainstream the publication, the less they seem to have any idea of the THC vaping space. This one was better then others with including more then the usual PAX and S&B models but still missed the target. It always makes me laugh when I see some manufactor website using a company like Forbes to show they are super legit trend setters.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
“There’s no going back to smoking once you’ve tried the AirVape X, the cannabis vaporizer we recommend after spending five years researching 55 models and testing more than a dozen of them.”

Hmmm. 5 years researching huh, well that’s long enough for some products to disappear, and new ones appear all the time. Glad they don’t review cars that way.

So, we can all pick apart this article, as most of use, or at least are very aware of these vapes. I just choose one example (below). In addition to the “smart paths”, both the Miqro and IQ2, have the ability to manually set the temperature in 1 degree steps up to 430f.

“The DaVinci Miqro has a pleasant aesthetic and it’s compact enough to take on the go, but its preset temperatures make it a more limited choice than our picks. Its deep chamber also makes the DaVinci tougher to load than our picks, and its mouthpiece gets hot quickly.”

In FIVE years, I look forward to their follow up article.... :)

Shit Snacks

“There’s no going back to smoking once you’ve tried the AirVape X, the cannabis vaporizer we recommend after spending five years researching 55 models and testing more than a dozen of them.”

Hmmm. 5 years researching huh, well that’s long enough for some products to disappear, and new ones appear all the time. Glad they don’t review cars that way.

So, we can all pick apart this article, as most of use, or at least are very aware of these vapes. I just choose one example (below). In addition to the “smart paths”, both the Miqro and IQ2, have the ability to manually set the temperature in 1 degree steps up to 430f.

“The DaVinci Miqro has a pleasant aesthetic and it’s compact enough to take on the go, but its preset temperatures make it a more limited choice than our picks. Its deep chamber also makes the DaVinci tougher to load than our picks, and its mouthpiece gets hot quickly.”

In FIVE years, I look forward to their follow up article.... :)

:rofl:
Thank you for calling out the miqro presets line, I was also like "...idiots" when I read that

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Lets also remember its the NY Times... would hardly consider them a bastion of respected journalism these days. Even less after that article :lol:

Not for nothing but articles EXACTLY like that is what led me to FC in the first place. Looking for actual useful and relevant information...

RobbIt

The NYT is very well respected in the journalism world generally, but they are a for profit global enterprise driven by ad revenue and affiliate lead generation fees. Too bad that the only trusted reviews are from independent and user sites like FC and Consumer Reports etc.

florduh

Are you telling me the rag that spread bald faced lies to help march America into two utterly pointless 7 figure death count wars isn't a reliable source on vaporizers? Come on, man.

I am mildly impressed they even mentioned the TinyMight and Firewood. And they linked to a post by our own @RogueGuy. Shit, I'd put "Vaporizer Expert featured in the NYT" on all my marketing material if I were you.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
If you’re looking for the Times’s seal of approval for your vape purchase, you’re probably mostly taking edibles anyway, demographically speaking.

We’re not talking the voice of the counterculture here.

stonedmallone

to be honest I am really surprised this article even brings up the TM, FW7 and P80. So it seems at least they have some idea what is out there. Still, what an absurd article, like they didn't spend any actual time researching.

jbm

This thread reminds me of when lawyers watch Law and Order and yell "that's not how it works at all" at the teevee. Wirecutter's target audience is not the people on this board. For example, the Tafee Bowle, which gets a lot of "why weren't we consulted on this" reactions round these parts, would pretty much be the perfect vape for them to include, as I think @Shit Snacks mentioned above. I would bet it will figure prominently if they do this piece again next year. If a friend said, "I'm thinking of getting into vaping," and I replied "you have go to this obscure Finnish website and hand over 250 bucks to a guy whose name you don't even know, and then you'll have to wait 2 weeks for it to be delivered (though that's much better than when you had to wait 2 months,) etc etc." they'd think I was crazy. Even the Dynavap, perhaps the only device tied with the Mighty as the Golden Calf of Thermal Extraction Devices (to the point where they should combine them to spawn the Killer TED of all time, the DynaMighty+) is more than most people will be able to deal with, or, more importantly, will want to deal with, for their first vaping (wait, I mean thermal extraction devicing) experience. Which is: Put weed in something obviously bowl like. Press button. High. ("you want me to listen for...a CLICK? Are you high right now?")
Incidentally, I got iinto vaping from reading the next to last version of that article. I had stopped smoking weed (or "pot," as we called it then) in the early 80s when all it did was make me paranoid. I was interested in starting again, and came across that article. I bought an AirVape X, and soon VAS took over. I'm glad when anybody starts vaping, even if they don't satisfy all of our many "requirements." Think of these as..."gateway devices."

Last edited:
Top Bottom