Microdosing with Phase 3 ZX vs other ball vapes

BreadStick

Hi all,

I've been reading about the ZX and it seems to be a brilliant piece of kit. I see it being touted as the best ball vape for microdosing. Is this because it genuinely performs better than other ball vapes with a smaller load or is it because the form factor of the ZX forces you into taking smaller doses? I already own a screwball and I'm loving it so far but I'm curious if the ZX would perform noticeably better than the SB with 0.1g loads or less.

howie105

I've been reading about the ZX and it seems to be a brilliant piece of kit. I see it being touted as the best ball vape for microdosing…. I have a ZX as a daily driver because it is so easy to use with small loads (~.03 g) but it is not the taste champ. That laurel belongs to a modded, PID controlled Elev8r.

I see it being touted as the best ball vape for microdosing. Is this because it genuinely performs better than other ball vapes with a smaller load or is it because the form factor of the ZX forces you into taking smaller doses? ... With my type of use, the ZX can run loads up to .024 g well, but preference hold the doses sizes well below that.

I already own a screwball and I'm loving it so far but I'm curious if the ZX would perform noticeably better than the SB with 0.1g loads or less. ... I don't know the SB, but based on their maximum to minimum load sizes, both the ZX and Elev8r both are good in the sub .1 g range in comparison to my other small load vapes.

coolbreeze

Hi all,

I've been reading about the ZX and it seems to be a brilliant piece of kit. I see it being touted as the best ball vape for microdosing. Is this because it genuinely performs better than other ball vapes with a smaller load or is it because the form factor of the ZX forces you into taking smaller doses?
It's both, really. The form factor does force you into smaller doses (than the Screwball) and it is very well tuned for stripping the goodies with one go. Hit's nice and open, flavor's terrific, effects are amazing.

I already own a screwball and I'm loving it so far but I'm curious if the ZX would perform noticeably better than the SB with 0.1g loads or less.
That's a tough one. It will definitely work better for loads smaller than .1g, no doubt. But I just covered the SB screen with .1g, and it looks sufficient to roast. My feeling is that the SB will handle a sufficiently covered screen with great flavor, but .1g cuts it close.

I use my ZX every day because it works so well with >.1g loads and the effects and flavor are top notch. I use my Screwball mostly on weekends; I pack the half-bowl and nurse it til done, also with great effects and flavor.

lluther

It's both, really. The form factor does force you into smaller doses (than the Screwball) and it is very well tuned for stripping the goodies with one go. Hit's nice and open, flavor's terrific, effects are amazing.

That's a tough one. It will definitely work better for loads smaller than .1g, no doubt. But I just covered the SB screen with .1g, and it looks sufficient to roast. My feeling is that the SB will handle a sufficiently covered screen with great flavor, but .1g cuts it close.

I use my ZX every day because it works so well with >.1g loads and the effects and flavor are top notch. I use my Screwball mostly on weekends; I pack the half-bowl and nurse it til done, also with great effects and flavor.
How has your CL fitted into rotation since you got the ZX?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I've found with my Screwball, it really doesn't perform well with a small dose like that. I tried just covering the screen and it struggled to vape efficiently. It works great if I nearly fill the half bowl setting. But if I try less, it takes more hits to extract and it marrs the flavor. I don't have a good explanation for this.

The ZX handles any amount just fine. Obviously the bowl is much smaller and it is an injector, so the comparison is not apples-to-apples.

coolbreeze

How has your CL fitted into rotation since you got the ZX?
The Couch Log I have plugged in an heated up every day; I mostly use the glass bowl/bong with it at the couch. I probably do fewer hits per day with it, but I sometimes have them both on the desktop and just go back and forth. ; )

I've found with my Screwball, it really doesn't perform well with a small dose like that.
Doesn't surprise me too much that .1 is probably too little. I was initially using the SB with just a screen cover, found it challenging. Cal suggested the fill-and-sip method as a better way and he was right.

Last edited:

BreadStick

Thank you all for the replies, I ended up getting one the tempest pre-release units that dropped this weekend instead of the ZX but I can see myself justifying a ZX purchase in the future because "just one more vape and that'll be my collection finished" will strike again :doh::lol:. I also own a couchlog so seeing discussion about its performance compared to the ZX is a great! From reading this thread and other descriptions of each device it sounds like the ZX is better at one hit extractions while the couchlog's protected heater makes it nicer for laid back sessions, would I be right saying this?
In my mind the perfect quintet of ball vapes would be the
  1. ScrewBall for macrodose sessions/One hit extractions
  2. Couchlog for laid back safe falvour chasing
  3. ZX for microdose one hit extractions
  4. Tempest for portable ball vape experience
  5. Some wireless ballvape probably either the Chaos or wireless screwball when it drops, I think a wireless would be nice for group sessions
This is admittedly an overkill collection of ball vapes and you can probably accomplish a lot of what the couchlog and ZX do with the tempest so I'm excited to see how my wish list changes when I get my hands on the tempest. If anyone owns a tempest and any of the ball vapes I've mentioned I'd love to hear how they compare pretty please. A wireless ballvape would also probably shelve my wired screwball so that's probably another redundancy.

lluther

Thank you all for the replies, I ended up getting one the tempest pre-release units that dropped this weekend instead of the ZX but I can see myself justifying a ZX purchase in the future because "just one more vape and that'll be my collection finished" will strike again :doh::lol:. I also own a couchlog so seeing discussion about its performance compared to the ZX is a great! From reading this thread and other descriptions of each device it sounds like the ZX is better at one hit extractions while the couchlog's protected heater makes it nicer for laid back sessions, would I be right saying this?
In my mind the perfect quintet of ball vapes would be the
  1. ScrewBall for macrodose sessions/One hit extractions
  2. Couchlog for laid back safe falvour chasing
  3. ZX for microdose one hit extractions
  4. Tempest for portable ball vape experience
  5. Some wireless ballvape probably either the Chaos or wireless screwball when it drops, I think a wireless would be nice for group sessions
This is admittedly an overkill collection of ball vapes and you can probably accomplish a lot of what the couchlog and ZX do with the tempest so I'm excited to see how my wish list changes when I get my hands on the tempest. If anyone owns a tempest and any of the ball vapes I've mentioned I'd love to hear how they compare pretty please. A wireless ballvape would also probably shelve my wired screwball so that's probably another redundancy.
This is definitely a NICE list. I've the Tempest and Couchlog, waiting on my ZX to clear customs.

I'm glad someone mentioned the Tempest, because honestly it's really hard to beat for extraction, in fact I've found myself searching for a mains powered Tempest, which is why I ordered the ZX.

Yea man, I hear you with the Couchlog, chill sessions and safety, there is something magical about the format, it just feels super nice to use, and while I am sure the ZX is going to outperform the CL in some respects, the chill safe session aspect of the CL is not going to be beaten anytime soon.

I have been eyeballing the screwball, but my tolerance is just not there (yet). I do have a Thermal Twist and definitely keen to try the upcoming diffuser for it, I suspect that will be my goto Macro dose, however it would probably need to be in the 0.2 range to compete with the ZX.

BreadStick

This is definitely a NICE list. I've the Tempest and Couchlog, waiting on my ZX to clear customs.

I'm glad someone mentioned the Tempest, because honestly it's really hard to beat for extraction, in fact I've found myself searching for a mains powered Tempest, which is why I ordered the ZX.
Yeah the tempest looks to be the bee's knees. I kept telling myself I'd wait until the full release but I saw one the green units in stock on Saturday and couldn't resist.

That's interesting you found yourself wanting a mains powered tempest and getting the ZX, because this is also why I see myself still wanting one in the future even after getting the tempest.
Yea man, I hear you with the Couchlog, chill sessions and safety, there is something magical about the format, it just feels super nice to use, and while I am sure the ZX is going to outperform the CL in some respects, the chill safe session aspect of the CL is not going to be beaten anytime soon.
The couchlog really is perfect for sitting back and taking your time with a bowl. Even if my other vapes end up having better heaters I don't think they'll be any prettier/safer!
I have been eyeballing the screwball, but my tolerance is just not there (yet). I do have a Thermal Twist and definitely keen to try the upcoming diffuser for it, I suspect that will be my goto Macro dose, however it would probably need to be in the 0.2 range to compete with the ZX.
I honestly only picked up the screwball because of how great the pre-sale price was and I wanted to try a diffuser style ball vape. I don't use it very often because I end up going through way too much herb each time I turn it on! :lol: It's brilliant but my tolerance also isn't at a point of needing it.
Your other option is the dfreeze micro dose bowl that works with the screwball. I haven’t used one but it’s a much cheaper option than a whole other ball vape setup.
Thanks for this idea, this is probably something I should have thought of sooner! I'd love to see another comparison between the screwball with a micro dose bowl and the ZX if there is anyone with both setups. One the things the ZX might still offer over the SB w/ a microdose bowl is being able to change temps faster, not sure how useful that would actually be though.

lazylathe

Almost there...
I have been on the ZX train for a year or more now and have absolutely zero regrets with any of my purchases from @invertedisdead .

Moving away from Titanium or Stainless steel has been the biggest change for me!
@invertedisdead has shown us that you don't require a pound of hot metal to extract what we want from our flower.

The ZX is an extremely impressive tool and has stopped me from looking for alternatives because it just fits in with my vaping style. It has extinguished my VAS for the longest time period that any vaporizer I have owned has, except for the Supreme V4 buy when using that one I still bought other desktop vapes...

The ZX is the Bee's Knee's as far as vaporizers go for me!

I run my ZX at 428f and it extracts like a beast at this low temp! ABV is a perfect light tan colour and there is zero coughing and no need to take a second hit!
My Z8 I run a bit hotter at 446f due to its design and use it aoy more than my ZX.
They are on a dual controller, so both are always on and ready to rip!

I was reading up on the Tempest and at first was not very interested and then I remembered that we now have induction heaters that would make the Tempest a very user friendly device to use!
Not tempted but nice to know there are amazing options out there for these style of vapes and not just a jet flame lighter!

simba

@weedanwine
I returned my Couchlog after not being happy with it after having it 6/7 weeks, I've had my Enano XL less than a week and it's way outperforming the Couchlog. I could easily overwhelm the Couchlog heater, I've not managed it yet with the Enano XL.

dudeguy

I was also reading up about the countless ball vapes out there and landed on the ZX or Tempest . Can they handle bigger loads than 0.1g and if you could only own one... Tempest or ZX?
I already own an Ispire Wand so I am leaning towards the Tempest a little. At least if it gets not delayed again.

coolbreeze

I was also reading up about the countless ball vapes out there and landed on the ZX or Tempest . Can they handle bigger loads than 0.1g and if you could only own one... Tempest or ZX?
I already own an Ispire Wand so I am leaning towards the Tempest a little. At least if it gets not delayed again.
The ZX is certainly going to be the better ball vape per se but the Tempest is pocketable. They're very different and one may be better than the other for you depending on how you like to vape. One way to think of the differences is that the Tempest is built to extend a session over enough hits to kill the bowl, sorta like a joint, where the ZX is really a nice, crisp one-hitter, like a bong rip. I'm not sure how the Tempest handles smaller loads, but the ZX has the option of going bigger. The ZX 's chamber can hold up to about .2g, the glass bowl can hold a little more, and really it should be able to roast through more in a larger 14mm bowl. The tempest will have a harder top capacity limit. For me it would be the ZX if i could only have one.

EDIT: @dudeguy, I noticed your post in another thread where you mention being prescribed for tension/sleep. May I suggest a conduction-heavy vape for that purpose? The Vapman is the obvious choice, but Dynavaps and Dreamwood Roasties (along with various other builds/brands of this vape) are also excellent. For most people conduction vapes will produce more of the stony, couchlocky, body-buzz and help induce sleep. Ball vapes of any style tend to be convection-heavy vapes with more cerebral effects.

Last edited:

simba

@weedanwine
I noticed your post in another thread where you mention being prescribed for tension/sleep. May I suggest a conduction-heavy vape for that purpose? The Vapman is the obvious choice, but Dynavaps and Dreamwood Roasties (along with various other builds/brands of this vape) are also excellent. For most people conduction vapes will produce more of the stony, couchlocky, body-buzz and help induce sleep. Ball vapes of any style tend to be convection-heavy vapes with more cerebral effects.

I read this post earlier and just now had a woah moment 🤯

For context, my bedtime routine is a bowl of flower and a dab. This is usually enough to get me to sleep, but sometimes I do need more 🙄

Anyways, I always thought this combo worked for me because of flower and extracts, but just now I thought about it in heating terms because of this post. My flower bowls are usually convection vapes cos that's my jam, but then the dab is conduction heating!

Whilst I absolutely love my Vapman, the bowl size isn't quite enough for me, so whilst I use it regularly it's never formed a solid part of my bedtime routine because of that limiting factor I think.

Any suggestions for conduction vapes with a larger bowl size than the Vapman? It would be good to have a conduction vape as a bedtime backup for when I don't have extracts 🤔

dudeguy

EDIT: @dudeguy, I noticed your post in another thread where you mention being prescribed for tension/sleep. May I suggest a conduction-heavy vape for that purpose? The Vapman is the obvious choice, but Dynavaps and Dreamwood Roasties (along with various other builds/brands of this vape) are also excellent. For most people conduction vapes will produce more of the stony, couchlocky, body-buzz and help induce sleep. Ball vapes of any style tend to be convection-heavy vapes with more cerebral effects.

Oh, good point... maybe a ball vape isn't the right thing for me then. I think I will wait until the Tempest gets released and decide then what to buy. Or maybe I just stick with my Dynavap and Mighty.

Top Bottom