• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Making Draw Tubes... Flower Quince?

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
This was a really cool journey to follow and I have two cherished stems for my vapcap. I really love the all wooden one. Lately I've been putting a thin piece of silicone on the mouthpiece and using it in a 14mm dry bubbler for some great huge hits.

I agree that the quince has a great feel on the lips and I really love turning it in my hand during heating

TommyDee

Vaporitor
It's sad that this thread is doomed to extinction. It has been a great journey. One I will revisit from time to time as the mood strikes me. I did learn one thing as the seasons change. The moisture these shrubs maintain is seasonal. The wood was nearly dry and quite stable in early spring even through new shoots were forming. I'll be seeing when the moisture content is optimal. The final texture of the wood is very much more lustrous when the protective resins cure within the wood.

On a further note, there is still something good on the medicinal side. My wife got heavy doses of resin soaked pieces for her arthritic hands. There was a very positive reaction as several sites. She did confirm that the treatments were effective for about 3 months or better. I will certainly be following up on that experiment this year.

My current DD stem was made from one of the healing sticks. This one was one of the last of the seasoned pieces. Really nice piece.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I still use one of the stems regularly and it's holding up great. Unfortunately, the hybrid stem with metal cracked where the vapcap tip inserts. So sadly that one is no longer in use. I also really like the stir tool you sent me. :) I do wish the metal was magnetic, but it's all good.
This thread really was fun to follow. Thanks!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Welcome to summer and I finally confirmed the Quince's juices are again flowing strong. I'm going to have to hack my way into some usable twigs but I am looking forward to turning a few new stems.

Actually, the healing tests are under way. After I lost the original 5" stem on a rolled o-ring, I turned one of the 'medical' sticks into my DD. A little shorter but a wonderful stem.

After some experience with the late season and out of season blanks, I must say I am pleased with what's been learned. The last information that may not have clearly been captured is the resins within the shrub are part of the final piece and provide the unique finish I've come to adore about this species. Nothing needs to be added. It is its own finish if you give it no place to go. What I mean by that is the fact that I have learned that removing the bark at harvest is critical in having viable blanks. Without this, the center will always split. This knowledge will help limit the harvest to only taking viable pieces and limited blanks. The resins -are- the unique plastic like finish that a wet turned piece presents when cured.

Turning wet or letting blanks cure;
I have had a great time turning wet blanks into wonderful stems. However, as these stalks have grown with a Sun-side, they will always warp on drying. I've adapted a hybrid approach in coring the piece while wet and finishing the piece later. It makes for an interesting curve in the core while the stem remains perfectly straight. I want to see if I can do the coring after limited seasoning. I now have a pretty small window of time to prepare blanks and get this going.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
20200801_130152.jpg

First 2020 Medicine Stick, or first of the season anyway. This will be interesting as these are true healing sticks before they become stems.

And it turns out '20-M tip o-rings do roll. This is really hard on thin-wall'd stems. This one is strong enough but that is what broke my original DD; this '20 tip. Live and learn. George must have changed the o-ring gland to make it easier to remove. I wonder how well glass will hold up to this. Won't be a problem for me as I still don't like this tip or cap.

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
@stark1 Just keep at him with the flattery.

I'll get the ball rolling....

Dear Mr @TommyDee

It has come to our attention, that you my good sir are a man of fine repute, whom not only possesses wood imbued with magical qualities, but is also endowed with the legendary status of wood turning master extraordinaire... aka The King Of Quince

Long may you reign supreme and bless us with thy holy gifts, from dry wood to green, none can deny the treasures thou bestow upon your lowly subjects... :wave:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Now we're talking simple battery option LOL Which charger are you using?

If we don't get rain soon, the season will be gone before it starts.

Last edited:
TommyDee,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Cool, that's the AC version of the one they failed to ship me. Got a lot of those connectors though.

Now I'm curious. Will that pack last you through a day of capping? 2?

TommyDee,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
As a micro-doser ( @11.1V 1.5AH ), it will serve
Its purpose. It isn’t quite a heavy brick. 👈

stark1,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Oh, I forgot that. That's a week plus! Indeed, a battery solution seems a lot simpler even if corded.

TommyDee,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Farting around on a rainy Sunday afternoon

A portable, to => “convertible” IH :

TD, do you suppose I could attach it to the Flix ? & take it to the Flix out ddoor? :popcorn:

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You need a 5.5x2.5 adapter if the plug isn't already hybrid, but yes, it will power a Flix just fine.

Decided to re-arrange the Caldron's face?

TommyDee,
Top Bottom