• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Make a head for ball vape style the brain

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
On paper, looking at Specific Heat Capacity and Thermal Conductivity,
Silicone Carbide (Sic) is top cat,
Ruby and Silicone Nitride (Si3N4) are pretty close(Ruby looks prettier, Sin looks like its thermal conductivity varies with temperature but can match upto Rubies. i would like to compare some SiN)
Zirconia is almost identical to borosilicate glass(and quartz glass) has slightly better Thermal Conductivity but slightly less heat capacity. I have many boro'balls. They can produce Zirconia crytals in many colours. If i can get them in green and purple........
There is a new type of alumium oxide,(ceramic) out i saw somewhere a while back somewhere...
But I would rather save for Sic.
And artificial Ruby and Sapphires are the same thing, Corundum. Just different colours.
Good for comparing some physical material properties...https://www.makeitfrom.com/
there are others.

Last edited:

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
I've done hot swaps of 3mm, 4 and 6mm glass, 3mm glass vs 3mm rubies, 4mm glass vs 4mm rubies, 3mm vs 4mm rubies, and some big arse 10 mm cabochons (I used to make jewelery, they are half spheres, very high rate of airflow, good thermal reservoir. ). Hav'nt had a chance to try Zirconia, Sin/Si3N4 or Sic/ssic.
I did make some grade 2 Titanium terp pills, and compared them with corundum/ruby terp pills on top of 3mm and 4mm rubies. Titanium was a little more ,peppery(?) vs the Ruby terp pill, they semed to work well in my diy injector, but im not brave enough to put them in the Qaroma(and its coil stays put). Need to make more, smaller Titanium ones to try and fill the Ceroma with when i finaly get another coil.
FUCKcombustion AND tOOTHACHE.
Glass works fine but compared to Ruby seems to taste slightly harsher, it could be bias on my part (rubies look so pretty) but i really wanted the glass to work and taste better. Its easier and cheaper to find.
The different heat resistance and other metrics means glass is slower to store and impart heat , I have even tried using them on top of Rubies as a 'blanket' to see if the thermal properties made a difference. Pure Rubies tasted better and works better (better recovery rate 'imo').
Curious to try SiliconCarbide ceramic balls. But as i doubt i'll ever have the money for that and im happy with the rubies i got.
It seemed bigger Rubies or other terp objects (this worked with Glass and Titanium too, although a marble didnt work so well,too much mass) on top of 3 mm balls seems to work well. Maybe improved recovery rate. Different sizes change the airflow and recovery rate, which also alters with how hard you pull.
Maybe im talking complete balls..... i mean nonsense.....
I really do think Rubies taste better than glass.
This is all only to my senses, experience and limited knowledge, @felvapes and @LesPlenty and anyone else who has played with other Balls (again, not the fleshy kind) What is your favourite material for Balls as a thermal reservoir? .....And should one shave ones BallSack to reduce temps?
@tinctorus how do you find Rubies 'taste' compared to Zirconia, and both to SiliconCarbide (Sic)? On paper (not always the same in the real world) Ruby should heat faster and cool faster than zirconium, it has higher heat capacity and higher thermal conductivity?
Sorry I didn't see you had tagged me, personally I like the flavor more with the Zirconia and Sic I also liked the Si3N4/Sin balls as well, I switch my balls out between devices quite often just to change up the profile

Also I see alot of people saying Zirconia and I need to know which they mean, these are the type im referring to when I say Zirconia
US $3.03 26%OFF | Free shipping 1mm 1.2mm 1.5mm 1.588mm 1/16" Ceramic Bearing Balls ZrO2 Zirconia Zirconium oxide Ball G10 mm 1/16 0.8 1 1.2 1.588

I see alot of people posting these and their not the same

US $3.20 60%OFF | 1000pcs/bag AAAAA Grade White 0.7~7.5mm Loose Zircon Stone Brilliant Round Cut Cubic Zirconia Stones For Jewelry Making DIY

Also if people are looking for SIC on Ali you need to make sure your not buying SIN or vice versa

Last edited:

Curious Gorilla

Sorry I didn't see you had tagged me, personally I like the flavor more with the Zirconia and Sic I also liked the Si3N4/Sin balls as well, I switch my balls out between devices quite often just to change up the profile

Also I see alot of people saying Zirconia and I need to know which they mean, these are the type im referring to when I say Zirconia
US $3.03 26%OFF | Free shipping 1mm 1.2mm 1.5mm 1.588mm 1/16" Ceramic Bearing Balls ZrO2 Zirconia Zirconium oxide Ball G10 mm 1/16 0.8 1 1.2 1.588

I see alot of people posting these and their not the same

US $3.20 60%OFF | 1000pcs/bag AAAAA Grade White 0.7~7.5mm Loose Zircon Stone Brilliant Round Cut Cubic Zirconia Stones For Jewelry Making DIY

Also if people are looking for SIC on Ali you need to make sure your not buying SIN or vice versa
Zirconium oxide, ahhhh. Thought you meant Zirconia, I have seen overpriced coloured terp pearls of zirconia(clear gem stuff) , will have to find specs on the Ceramic Zirconium Oxide , your white balls look good. I will get some to try.(again, not the fleshy kind)
Thankyou for the link, i will use it next time i order from aliX. 100 Zirc balls for about £13.50 inc vat. Or i could save up a few years and get Sic
Zirconium gemstones are available in many pretty colours, have good thermal shock resistance, and are cheap. i have considered getting some and building a tumble polisher to round some off so they dont scratch my injector head, but its too much effort and there are no cheap clear Zirc balls i could find.
Like the name.
Connected irrelevant(not to me) useful information, Propolis Tincture (50%) appears to be good for tooth ache and healing after tooth extraction. I still hate tooth ache. At least now i can vape my own personal version of sanity returns....

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
If you want cheap just go with boiling stones
Adamas-Beta Solid Round Clear Glass Boiling Stones Beads, 3mm Diameter, Approx 1000 Beads https://a.co/d/gFam96E

However I've been experimenting with different materials and I've found that by far the best is Zirconia, Sin/Si3N4 and Sic/ssic
Sic
SI3N4
Zirconia

I've run am 3 in my ball vape heads, right now I have the Si3N4 in my tiodw head and I have the Zirconia in my ceroma head, I've got a zeal on the way and will be filling that with Zirconia as well

I've found that the Zirconia and other ceramics dump their heat energy really fast which gives you a really snappy vape
I was able to drop my Temps 100deg from ruby as well btw
Zirconia balls are cheaper than i thought.... don't they take longer to heat up than gemstones?

Haze Mister,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Is their an active thread to just discuss thermal properties, use and prices of various materials for DIY/ballers?
Looks like there is one now, lol. I use mostly quartz because it is fast and I use gas. SiC sounds best otherwise but I prefer gemstones for non-scientific reasons!

Haze Mister,

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Right now I'm kicking around ideas for a housing for a pid controller that will control 4 coils from 1 pid as well as showing the Temps of each one and allowing individual control of each coil

Kinda curious if this is something people would want?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Right now I'm kicking around ideas for a housing for a pid controller that will control 4 coils from 1 pid as well as showing the Temps of each one and allowing individual control of each coil

Kinda curious if this is something people would want?
Sounds useful. I assume you have seen Jcat's Open Source FC-Enail. Maybe that would be a helpful starting point?

Curious Gorilla

I haven't ever cared how long it takes to heat up, my unit is on for days at a time
:rockon:The joy of an industrial hot runner and PID as standard kit for Vapourists. Respect to the injector head baller vape and all who have put their thought and time into it, allowing us the best of medicinal use combined with the ability to get truly trashed.
Issue with cut gemstones that hav'nt been tumble polished to remove the hard edges, put inside a glass injector head, they would scratch the inside over time. In a metal head they would knock the corners off over time.
The small particles of glass and gemstones would maybe be caught by a water pipe ?
Tumble polishers are easy to build and use, and relatively cheap to buy,Green(peridot) and purple(amythyst) were what i was going to use. The cheap ones available from AliX are mostly the coloured zirconia i mentioned. But for the time effort and cost of tumble polishing them, I want to save for Sic....:puke:

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Sounds useful. I assume you have seen Jcat's Open Source FC-Enail. Maybe that would be a helpful starting point?
I appreciate the link and it's definitely a resource I'll save the link for, however what I'm talking about is

US $60.00 | 4 Channel Digital Display Thermostat,Multichannel Temperature Control Meter RS485 Communication Record Intelligent PID

@Curious Gorilla i suppose this is a possibility and something I hadn't thought much about, luckily I hadn't ordered the cut stones for a project as I ordered kilos of Zirconia/ZrO2 as well as SiC so I'll be using them on my project

Curious Gorilla

I appreciate the link and it's definitely a resource I'll save the link for, however what I'm talking about is

US $60.00 | 4 Channel Digital Display Thermostat,Multichannel Temperature Control Meter RS485 Communication Record Intelligent PID

@Curious Gorilla i suppose this is a possibility and something I hadn't thought much about, luckily I hadn't ordered the cut stones for a project as I ordered kilos of Zirconia/ZrO2 as well as SiC so I'll be using them on my project
The reason i couldnt be bothered with the tumble polisher is it works really well for large amounts of smaller stones, and i only needed a small amount for now,bought 4mm rubies instead, but if you were looking at larger volume, tumble polshers are simple and easy to use- fill ,turn on , leave for a day or 10, empty and fill glass thing with many coloured gems that wont scratch.... and would look cool as FuckCombustion.
You can make one with old tyres. Car tyres are a bit big tho...

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
So is that going to be like a party controller for 4 vape fiends each hitting their own coil at the same time? :razz:

I don't think scratching is an issue unless you like shaking that injector for some reason!
ordered kilos of Zirconia/ZrO2 as well as SiC so I'll be using them on my project

Jeez dude, kilos? what are you making!? if you bought too many Sic balls I can maybe buy some off you, LOL!

H4da10bece78945bda77f41e3c854bd76Z.jpg_960x960.jpg

You can buy raw corundum ruby slabs on alibaba....

Last edited:
Haze Mister,

Curious Gorilla

So is that going to be like a party controller for 4 vape fiends each hitting their own coil at the same time? :razz:

I don't think scratching is an issue unless you like shaking that injector for some reason!

Jeez dude, kilos? what are you making!? if you bought too many Sic balls I can maybe buy some off you, LOL!

I got plans for some mof those..... mwaaahahaaaahaaaaa

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
The reason i couldnt be bothered with the tumble polisher is it works really well for large amounts of smaller stones, and i only needed a small amount for now,bought 4mm rubies instead, but if you were looking at larger volume, tumble polshers are simple and easy to use- fill ,turn on , leave for a day or 10, empty and fill glass thing with many coloured gems that wont scratch.... and would look cool as FuckCombustion.
You can make one with old tyres. Car tyres are a bit big tho...
Yeah I actually had one as a kid, I was big into "collecting precious gems" which were just rocks and crap a 7 year old thought looked cool 😂😂

I've seen them for under 20 bucks on Amazon so it might be a solution if I decide to use them

@Haze Mister I bought them with the intention to give people an affordable choice, I think they're priced far too expensive so I wanted to give people a deal 😊

As far as the pid, I run 3 ball heads now with 2 more on the way and I know I'm not the only guy running multiples, the current setup you would have to buy 2 separate 2 unit boxes, 4 controller, 4 plugs "maybe 2 depending on unit" all that takes up A TON of space "I'm running 3 pid now and it's alot"

This would take up much less space and the housing will most likely have spots for tools, ball head rests etc, like how the timberhead has spots for things, but that is a HUGE dual pid case... I bet it weights close to 10 pounds with all that gorgeous wood

Last edited:

babunja

@babunja

Mrs Gorilla says always let your hot balls cool off before handling them. And to stop touching them all the time.
Of course, I never listen,sooo....
I made this awhile ago to see if a glass pathway tasted any different/less harsh on my throat with prolonged use compared to a ceroma and a herborizer ti.
The adaptor im using has thinner glass than the QShop ones(cheaper too incase it goes wrong), I believe this helps it not shatter over time as the coil fits a little better, less pressure from the coil on the glass, and possibly thinner glass may have less internal stresses through repeated heating cycles,Dont know.
It does offer a cost effective glass path, HOWEVER -
Unless you already have a PID Controller,heater coil and Ruby/Glass or other Balls (I do not suggest You use the fleshy kind) , it will only save the cost of the injector body. Minus the price of a cheap ali ex. glass screened injector bowl.
The coil is not tight on the glass, snug enough to transfere heat, it grips on the nubbin left by the glass handle. The heater coil can get RED HOT while its getting up to temperature. Scary to watch, but the temp change isnt too fast for the glass so far but ..........It could explode sending glass and rubies everywhere,but I think its more likely to just crack. I hope. I believe some luck with the individual bowl you get having no internal stress or defect is also needed.
That said....

img_4284.webp
img_4305.webp

img_4316.webp

I have used it for over 6 months,with almost 1000 hours running at between 425f and 455f. Tastes as good as the Qaroma. Works/handles more like the Herborizer . Just as heavy hitting as either. Downsides (apart from possible exploding hot glass balls) it can have slightly bigger temperature fluctuations. It has a smaller hot spot than the qaroma, so needs a little more stirring and attention to breath/airflow control. Or just piling your green in the centre of the screen leaving a gap round the outside. Works best with sub 0.1 doses.
Will work with crumbs.
I turn it on and it stays on for the day, I have left it running for over 24 hours, have dropped it on my desk, a had a water pipe tip over with it in (It and the pipe were fine,the injector bowl it was in broke ) No signs of the glass cracking, yet.
Even the built in glass screen still has NO cracks between the holes. I do use it over a desk tho'.... dont think i would sit back in a sofa with it. Just incase. But thats true of any of my other heavy hitters.
I used to heat it in 2 stages for the first month, to 200f first, then to 425f, but just run it straight up to temp now.

You can wreck the coil and/or the glass while fitting the coil. Be patient. Have 2 sets of pliers on hand. Dont stetch the coil till you need to. Go slow. I fed it over the bulge from the bottom and kind of screwed it on. Be very careful if you need to 'open' the coil wider to increase internal diameter.
Be aware that stretching it out will reduce the internal diameter slightly.

Do you have a problem with your balls dropping?
Do your balls keep slipping out while handling them?
Hold on to Your Balls ! With the Ruby Restraining Titanium Terp Pearl Top Trap Wire Clip. Thingy.
The titanium wire clip thingy takes a while to make and get tensioned right. You have to work harden it after you form it.
Stainless Steel will work but is not Ideal, Titanium has more springback, is 40% stonger and is generaly considered hypoallergenic.
aND Looks Prettier when you anodise it. like me, its pretty basic.
img_4352.webp
img_4274.webp

The next iteration is a little different.
If you try to make your own, REMEMBER TO THOUROUGHLY CHECK YOUR BALLS. WONT FALL OUT WHILST IN USE.
Investigate lavender oil for minor burns. Works well after cold running water for at least 5 minutes depending on severity. You have to stop the fat cooking under your skin........ Dont take my word for it. Look it up. And dont use butter on burns.
I know this from other experiences. My hot balls have yet to fall. Dropped many,many cold ones tho'.
Also remember, picking lots of small balls up off the floor everyday is good excercise for knees, hips, fingers and for learning patience with oneself in the face of repeating our own futile behaviours..... Unless you got arthritis. Then its a pain in the balls.And everywhere else.
Must. Make. Paper funnels...paper funnels..paner funpels...faper punnels...paper funnels...
Woooa I was re-reading the post, I only now realized that you use it at around 450f, How is it possible? I see everyone with at least 550-600 on their ballers, like bzero etc.

felvapes

Yea now if someone can work out how to shape that into a solid ball head with holes through it for the airpath

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Holes through solid won't work unless the heater is really really long.... I was thinking of the idea of carving a tube out of a solid slab to turn it into a ruby injector but i don't think it is the best material.

Curious Gorilla

Woooa I was re-reading the post, I only now realized that you use it at around 450f, How is it possible? I see everyone with at least 550-600 on their ballers, like bzero etc.
I ran my Ceroma at 735f, running my Qaroma at 693 as i type. I generaly like a fast hard vapour extraction.
My DIY Balls Up will combust herb at higher temps, but run low temps when microdosing with the right bowl.
The microdose needs to be close to the ene of the injector joint to work, 14mm lower joint injector bowl helps(with an adaptor for 18mm joints).
Its also low mass and has an external coil. These factors have benefits and drawbacks. I designed/tweaked mine to act like a herborizer ti.
Temperature varies depending on water piece and micro vs bigger dosing at a time. As well as things like water piece/adaptor joint size, water volume, air volume, speed of draw, size of mouth piece opening, bore of neck(and other tubes) type of perk and many many more elements of the system.
They can make small differences that all add up at the point the vapour hits your mouth. At least, it seems that way to me.

Curious Gorilla

There is a new type of alumium oxide,(ceramic) out i saw somewhere a while back somewhere...
But I would rather save for Sic.
Had a quick look, it was aluminium nitride, (not ali oxide ceramic that i had was thinking off), has different thermal properties to the others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_nitride Dont know if its food safe or not.

I was thinking of the idea of carving a tube out of a solid slab to turn it into a ruby injector but i don't think it is the best material.
I too have considered this, i think Ruby is absolutely the correct material, (or one of them,Sic would be produced(mass produced)more easily,maybe work better, but not look so beautiful) the issue is that a solid boule of corundum is very hard to work. Not much difference to diamond. Sic and similar could possibly be cast into shape.
Ruby tubes are going to be really expensive, if the price of ruby banger liners is anything to go by, so when I got the spare cash im going to try.
Its not so much the price of the Ruby, you can get half a split boule for £25, but then theres the tools. Its not like working metal.

Last edited:

felvapes

Holes through solid won't work unless the heater is really really long.... I was thinking of the idea of carving a tube out of a solid slab to turn it into a ruby injector but i don't think it is the best material.
The way I described it may have been simple
But it would work I believe - the original flowerpot was holes through titanium
Ruby would just be the better version wouldn't it?

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I'm not sure a ruby tube would be strong enough if you are going to wrap a coil around it- it needs to be fairly thin to let the heat through.. assuming it can be even made..

Haze Mister,

felvapes

I'm not sure a ruby tube would be strong enough if you are going to wrap a coil around it- it needs to be fairly thin to let the heat through.. assuming it can be even made..
I didn't say it was something that can be done tomorrow
I said "now if someone can work out how to shape that into a solid ball head"

The key words "work out how to"
Was more of a wish/dream/want than a definitive suggestion
I also agree I'd be scared of how fragile such a head would be

Still be a great vape to hit I think

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
There just doesn't seem to be a good DIY alternative to DIY ball vapes yet. I have put some serious effort into it and come up with nada. All the suitable materials need high tech processing if you want to create some kind of solid state heater with equally good airflow and surface area to a tube filled with ballz.. Stoneware clay is the only DIY material you could use that I can think of but it woud be a bitch to get hot enough... these coils or even a kitchen torch would probably not cut it.

Top Bottom