• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Magicstone Odyssey

MagiKStone

Magic Maker
Manufacturer
Interesting. I would invite him to come talk to us. There are some here who can probably give substantial suggestions or work through problems that he won't have access to otherwise. Also, I feel like those interactions would do wonders to boost the image.

Substantially, I would say it needs a longer or diffused heat path to make it easier learn, and to consistently ride the line between a clean hit and charring. Also, I would be interested to understand how the stone is harmed by torch heat: would a sufficiently tamed heat path allow for torch use? For instance, an intake funnel could be added and removed easily for use, replacing the little intake built in. A choked intake ala Vapor Genie, Dynabox might work.

I was surprised to learn how thoroughly the soft flame flavor ruins the experience for me. Solving the heat intake issues are really all it needs in my opinion.

Edit: Maybe the vapor pipes @Ed's TnT or @Dreamwood make have solved this?
Hi coolbreeze, Kristen from MS here.
Both Jim and I have had great conversations with VapeKnight. Things have been really crazy since we officially launched, and we’re looking forward to introducing ourselves on FC, but we wanted to talk with you (and the other FC'er that has the Odyssey) first. We can't do customer service here, so it would be great if you could email Jim directly at jim@magicstone.us when you have a chance.

Count me in the unimpressed camp unfortunately... too bad cuz I love how it looks and was really into the idea of a spoon-pipe vape! Don't have much to add to whats been said already except for: Lord above this is one noisy vape. If you ever wanted to listen to the plaintive song of a lonesome banshee while vaping, then run, don't walk, to magicstone.us, cuz this is the machine for you!
thanks coolbreeze, those were most of my thoughts as well. I am definitely planning to invite him to participate on FC as most of us like to have the owner involved in discussions.
Hi roller skater, Kristen from MS here.
Both Jim and I have had great conversations with VapeKnight. Things have been really crazy since we officially launched, and we’re looking forward to introducing ourselves on FC, but we wanted to talk with you (and the other FC'er that has the Odyssey) first. We can't do customer service here, so it would be great if you would email Jim directly at jim@magicstone.us when you have a chance.

coolbreeze

Ok, despite or perhaps because of some confused communications, @MagiKStone fulfilled a replacement for my Odyssey. I will be unable to give it a full shakedown before I come back from the road, but I wanted to give my initial impressions. First, the replacement does seem to work better. Two bowls in and it seems not totally different in character than the flawed one, but still a good bit better. I poked and looked and don't see much difference between them, but I do think there's an improvement.

My second bowl was in direct comparison with the old piece, and it seemed fairly distinct. The old piece was hard to get a decent hit off, the replacement was easier; the older really let the flavor of half-burnt butane shine through, while the replacement really suffered much less from that and only really became noticeable after the roast was mostly complete. It still whistles, though. ; )

One more observation is that while the window of successful heating seems to have grown, it's also just a tad easier for things to get roasty. My guess is that the heatup engages the herbs sooner thus negating the butane flavor, producing a more manageable level of heat, and getting results to your mouth with a more gentle heating, but perhaps before your experience tells you it should. In any case I think the improved heating should make it easier to adjust to. And to learn to use in the first place.

These are only very initial impressions so ymmv. I hope my experience bears out with repetition.

I hope Jim and Kristen will feel welcome to come and share what the problems were, what they did about it, and what else they got cookin'.

coolbreeze

So nice to know it wasn't user error since most of us have a lot of experience. I still waiting for my replacement to arrive but it was being shipped to work and I am on vacation this week.
I mean, I really worked at it and got it sort of functioning, but it was not easy and the butane flavor was unavoidable.

I am cautiously optimistic that my replacement will function well enough to recommend it, especially to those who really like the look. First impressions are hopeful!

Hope your replacement works great and we can agree that it's improved.

rollerskater

also got a replacement a few hours ago. I had a nice conversation with Jim from Magicstone about the device and what he thought was wrong with it, etc, and I'm glad to report that the new one works and I'm pretty stoned.

Some thoughts:
• This one actually works :lol:. Jim informed me that the first however-many units were flawed during manufacturing, and the proof of that pudding is in the vaping. I couldn't get anything out of the old one except the flavor of butane, and the herbs would be green in the basket afterward. With this replacement, as I said, I'm high and I have toasted abv. The vape works. The response time is pretty quick too. I'd put it between the Lotus and Vapman in terms of time-to-vapor.
• The material and object qualities are exceptional. This hasn't changed. They want me to send my original unworking piece back and I don't want to (of course, I will, lol), cuz I like looking at the two of them side by side! I really enjoy having this vape in-hand. It feels nice and looks nice, and I find it amusing that its not only recognizably a pipe but also somewhat esoteric in form. It has an "artifactual" quality that appeals to me quite a bit. I'm guilty of getting high and just looking at things (e.g. my cats), and I love looking at this thing. The way it feels, also, is great. The heft is satisfying and the stone is smooth. The bottom of the vape underneath the flame intake warms up and gives you some nice feedback. It's satisfying, reassuring, and approachable in a way that glass pipes - and I do like glass - just aren't.
• It is super easy to use. I was losing my mind with the last one because the main reason I got it was to share vaping with friends who are clumsy or unable to follow directions. But it works as advertised: hit it more or less like you hit a spoon pipe, with the same lighter even. This is a gestalt thing, but it all adds up to a qualitative friendliness that I don't think is replicated in any other flame-based vape (that I know of).
• It still whistles lmao :lol:. I was taking the piss about it before, but it is kind of funny.
• The basket screen is a little fiddly. It's just a normal basket screen we're all familiar with and at least for me it falls out easily. Consequently, refilling the basket, stirring the load, or anything else that involves taking the cap off needs a little more attention than I'd like. Jim said they were working on updating the baskets though so hopefully this becomes bad information just like my last post.
• The flavor isn't as good as other vapes I have. But I would share basically none of those other vapes with any of my typical stoner friends, at least not without setting up a metronome and making them watch a webinar on basic thermal dynamics (exaggerating(?) :ninja:). And the flavor isn't bad per se, but very muted. I tried with two quite different strains and mostly it tastes like itself, which is worse than tasting like weed but way better than tasting like a joint and way, way better than tasting like butane.
• While it is possible to combust, you will get feedback before it reaches the point of cherrying or flash igniting.
• With some kind of capsule system this would be my ideal hammocking vape. On demand hits so you don't feel obligated to be puffing until the vape shuts off, uses a regular-ass lighter available anywhere instead of some goofy battery or torch, and you can drop it pretty much wherever and however with almost no cares. I have a canvas hammock, but I just hit the odyssey again so I could rub the intake bushing after torching it, and I don't think it would even melt through a synthetic hammock. Maybe I'm wrong about that though as I've never had one. Maybe harsh words will melt one.

That's all I got for now. It doesn't break the mold for me in any way really - again, i have other vapes that get me higher faster and taste better - but it meets or exceeds the expectations I had now that I have a functioning unit. I like it and I think it's extremely well suited to camping, fishing, cooking out, etc in the company of smokers or cannabis newbies (we all know vapers would show up with their favorite shit in their pockets, so no need to share with those freaks ;)). It's just so easy to use and approachable compared to eg a Dynavap imo.

coolbreeze

also got a replacement a few hours ago. I had a nice conversation with Jim from Magicstone about the device and what he thought was wrong with it, etc, and I'm glad to report that the new one works and I'm pretty stoned.

Some thoughts:
• This one actually works :lol:. Jim informed me that the first however-many units were flawed during manufacturing, and the proof of that pudding is in the vaping. I couldn't get anything out of the old one except the flavor of butane, and the herbs would be green in the basket afterward. With this replacement, as I said, I'm high and I have toasted abv. The vape works. The response time is pretty quick too. I'd put it between the Lotus and Vapman in terms of time-to-vapor.
• The material and object qualities are exceptional. This hasn't changed. They want me to send my original unworking piece back and I don't want to (of course, I will, lol), cuz I like looking at the two of them side by side! I really enjoy having this vape in-hand. It feels nice and looks nice, and I find it amusing that its not only recognizably a pipe but also somewhat esoteric in form. It has an "artifactual" quality that appeals to me quite a bit. I'm guilty of getting high and just looking at things (e.g. my cats), and I love looking at this thing. The way it feels, also, is great. The heft is satisfying and the stone is smooth. The bottom of the vape underneath the flame intake warms up and gives you some nice feedback. It's satisfying, reassuring, and approachable in a way that glass pipes - and I do like glass - just aren't.
• It is super easy to use. I was losing my mind with the last one because the main reason I got it was to share vaping with friends who are clumsy or unable to follow directions. But it works as advertised: hit it more or less like you hit a spoon pipe, with the same lighter even. This is a gestalt thing, but it all adds up to a qualitative friendliness that I don't think is replicated in any other flame-based vape (that I know of).
• It still whistles lmao :lol:. I was taking the piss about it before, but it is kind of funny.
• The basket screen is a little fiddly. It's just a normal basket screen we're all familiar with and at least for me it falls out easily. Consequently, refilling the basket, stirring the load, or anything else that involves taking the cap off needs a little more attention than I'd like. Jim said they were working on updating the baskets though so hopefully this becomes bad information just like my last post.
• The flavor isn't as good as other vapes I have. But I would share basically none of those other vapes with any of my typical stoner friends, at least not without setting up a metronome and making them watch a webinar on basic thermal dynamics (exaggerating(?) :ninja:). And the flavor isn't bad per se, but very muted. I tried with two quite different strains and mostly it tastes like itself, which is worse than tasting like weed but way better than tasting like a joint and way, way better than tasting like butane.
• While it is possible to combust, you will get feedback before it reaches the point of cherrying or flash igniting.
• With some kind of capsule system this would be my ideal hammocking vape. On demand hits so you don't feel obligated to be puffing until the vape shuts off, uses a regular-ass lighter available anywhere instead of some goofy battery or torch, and you can drop it pretty much wherever and however with almost no cares. I have a canvas hammock, but I just hit the odyssey again so I could rub the intake bushing after torching it, and I don't think it would even melt through a synthetic hammock. Maybe I'm wrong about that though as I've never had one. Maybe harsh words will melt one.

That's all I got for now. It doesn't break the mold for me in any way really - again, i have other vapes that get me higher faster and taste better - but it meets or exceeds the expectations I had now that I have a functioning unit. I like it and I think it's extremely well suited to camping, fishing, cooking out, etc in the company of smokers or cannabis newbies (we all know vapers would show up with their favorite shit in their pockets, so no need to share with those freaks ;)). It's just so easy to use and approachable compared to eg a Dynavap imo.
Excellent review. You've reminded me of things to look for and think about. :tup:

Jimagic

Handmade Smokeless Instruments
Manufacturer
Hey Rollerskater, Coolbreeze
It occurs to me that I'm the only one hear that may know you by your real names.
So I've been waiting until we got things right with our first FC owners before I came and introduced myself. So, I'm Jim Giberti, MagicStone Developer and chief Magic maker. Just to finish Rollerskater's point, when the first orders came in before we actually launched we were surprised how anyone found us and of course as I told our FC friends, a but freaked out that the first pieces went out to the most particular users in the world.
What happened was as soon as we heard there were issues, we looked through the first stock being finished in the shop and everything looked great but upon testing we found there was a misalignment on one of the several milling stations at the stone mill where the bodies are made before coming to the farm shops to be finished. In all there were about a dozen and of course the first went to FCers.
So after drinking a lot of Casamigos as a coping mechanism, I got a good night sleep and headed to the mill to get the alignment fixed. We began our final testing/firing process and launched officially about a month ago and things took off in a crazy (good) way here.
With all that out of the way, I'm really happy to finally join you all and I'm here to answer any questions anyone may have going forward.

Tiny88

Deluxe420
Hey Rollerskater, Coolbreeze
It occurs to me that I'm the only one hear that may know you by your real names.
So I've been waiting until we got things right with our first FC owners before I came and introduced myself. So, I'm Jim Giberti, MagicStone Developer and chief Magic maker. Just to finish Rollerskater's point, when the first orders came in before we actually launched we were surprised how anyone found us and of course as I told our FC friends, a but freaked out that the first pieces went out to the most particular users in the world.
What happened was as soon as we heard there were issues, we looked through the first stock being finished in the shop and everything looked great but upon testing we found there was a misalignment on one of the several milling stations at the stone mill where the bodies are made before coming to the farm shops to be finished. In all there were about a dozen and of course the first went to FCers.
So after drinking a lot of Casamigos as a coping mechanism, I got a good night sleep and headed to the mill to get the alignment fixed. We began our final testing/firing process and launched officially about a month ago and things took off in a crazy (good) way here.
With all that out of the way, I'm really happy to finally join you all and I'm here to answer any questions anyone may have going forward.
Hi Jimagic so happy you are on FC! I know you are still updating the Magicstone... is there any possibility of using a torch lighter instead of a regular flame? I know some of us here are concerned about the soot from it.

Last edited:

Jimagic

Manufacturer
Thanks for your review Rollerskater. I'm obviously psyched that we got it replaced and your officially a Magic person now. I think your points are spot on and really speak to how I've approached developing MagicStone. iIt's been about 3 1/2 years since original prototype to launch and I can't stress (although I probably did when we talked) how much it means to have users around the country emailng, calling, FTing and zooming etc.
So to a few of your points: The basket thing is so automatic to me that I have to remember to be more informative with the detail stuff. I do actually show it in the toturial but when you go to take the cap off, it wants to take the stainles steel basket with it. So as you go to lift it off, yuo just slide your opposite thumb over the outer edge of the basket as it's exposed. Just a quick automatic thing you do and it stays put.
Regarding the new basket: I designed them as a dual mesh/filter approach combined that should make performance easier to guage with a tighter, more restricted hit. The first protoypes should be here next week and if they work as i hope we'll get a quantity produced immediately and we'll send a few out to all of our exisiting users and include both in the future kits.
And regarding the tasting like itself, I think you'll find that after getting used to the technique, you'll be able to get quick, subtler hits where the flavor does compare to some of what you've discussed above.
Also, please keep your original Odyssey as a matching pair. We only wanted the first ones back as a postmortem thing, but we know exactly what the issue was so no need to send it back.

Jimagic

Manufacturer
Hi Jimagic so happy you are on FC! I know you are still updating the Magicstone... is there any possibility of using a torch lighter instead of a regular flame? I know of us here are concerned about the soot from it.
Hey Tiny88, it's great to be here. The torch is just too intense to warm the stone and basically circumvents the concept/process. It needs a soft flame to build the heat and warm the oven. It was developed using a full size Bic which I really liked as a kind of a "Every person's" non combustion approach. We got the custom Clippers made for a few reasons - they're made from recyclable materials and they're refillable and come with a high quality fuel and we then recommend the Calibri triple filtered 99.99% fuel for refilling.

Tiny88

Deluxe420
@Jimagic

Hi there just want to let you know that I am having issues navigating your website... there is a pop-up that won't let me move to other pages unless I put in my email. It won't even let me do the age restriction pop up either. I was trying to get to your Products page.

Tiny88,
Reactions: pop22

MagiKStone

Magic Maker
Manufacturer
@Jimagic

Hi there just want to let you know that I am having issues navigating your website... there is a pop-up that won't let me move to other pages unless I put in my email. It won't even let me do the age restriction pop up either. I was trying to get to your Products page.
Hi Tiny, I'm unable to reproduce the problem. Can you message me or email info@magicstone.us, as I'm not allowed to handle CS on this forum. It would help to know what browser you're on and have a screen grab. I only see the age popup. **Actually I found the problem, please try it again. That pop up should be gone now. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

Tiny88

Deluxe420
Hi Tiny, I'm unable to reproduce the problem. Can you message me or email info@magicstone.us, as I'm not allowed to handle CS on this forum. It would help to know what browser you're on and have a screen grab. I only see the age popup. **Actually I found the problem, please try it again. That pop up should be gone now. Thanks for the heads up!
Hi There, the website was fine with another browser.

Tiny88,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I am happy to hear how the revised Odyssey is working properly now. Jim had explained the problems with the initial batch and offered to replace my unit with a newer version but I decided to wait for the prototype of the "Alchemy " which he had been working on. I'll admit, I was a little worried that the replacement Odyssey would not work any better than the original so I had nothing to lose by waiting for the newer model. I was honoured to be the first person outside of Magicstone to see the new vape and Jim's excitement and enthusiasm for the vape was contagious. there are some aesthetic changes to the coin/cap and addition of a stem for the Alchemy but it's still a beautiful vape. It arrived yesterday and I could not wait to get home and try it. My first attempt could not have been more pleasant. I got a wonderful terp hit followed by several nice vape hits. I probably took one too many draws and noticed a slight amount of char on a small amount of the ABV but I never noticed any combustion flavor or butane taste during my sesh. YES!!
These type of vapes are not for everyone, but I think it is a great addition to anyone's collection and will be part of my regular rotation. Jim and Kris could not have been more pleasant in both business and social interactions. I look forward to a continued relation with them in the future and I can now definitely recommend this product.

MagiKStone

Magic Maker
Manufacturer
Hey VK, thanks for being the first Alchemy tester and for the thoughtful review.

We’re pretty excited to be through the final calibrations at the stone mill and past the beta phase.

We’re going into production this week, and just got the prototype of our new Alchemy coin/cap from the mint today, so I thought I’d post a quick iPhone shot.

Hope FCers like the mojo.

310584521_134582562654673_7392473835405283198_n.jpg

Gaminginvader

Smoke hater
The alchemy looks awesome! I've hoped for a good vape that I could use my fancy lighter collection with (They're mostly soft/candle flame)

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this and how well it works, as well as how difficult/easy it is to use.

Gaminginvader,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I used my Alchemy again last night with great success. It's always hard to convey how hard/easy a vape like this is to use , but if you have any experience with legacy vapes like the vaporgenie or perhaps a Vapman then I would say it is quite easy. there is a small learning curve when you first start but most people figure it out in a short amount of time. I think the appeal of this type of vape is not simply to get high , but to also enjoy the ritual of using it. I have an assortment of vapes that are all great, foolproof, and enjoyable but they can also be soul-less. I don't take large gulps of whiskey and I don't rush my sessions with certain vapes. these are meant to be admired as much as functional. I find myself studying the details of the design, enjoying the feel of the polished soapstone and the warmth it gets after the second bowl, and playing with the magnetic cap just for fun. these are what separate it from others I own which also perform amazingly. I also own a collection of lighters which like Gamingvader, that I missed using when most of my vapes became electric. these are intangibles that might make this type of vape more desirable to some . did you seen that red gemstone on the coin?? AWESOME !!

vapeape77

This looks like a great vape gift idea for someone trying to quit smoking if it functions well and gets you where you need to be…🤙

I also feel like if I had one, it would come in handy when hanging out with tokers, probably wouldn’t get that…what’s that plastic thingy or strange looking artisan vape comments

Last edited:

MagiKStone

Magic Maker
Manufacturer
This looks like a great vape gift idea for someone trying to quit smoking if it functions well and gets you where you need to be…🤙

I also feel like if I had one, it would come in handy when hanging out with tokers, probably wouldn’t get that…what’s that plastic thingy or strange looking artisan vape comments
Hey vapeape,

Yes! The idea of giving smokers non-combusting alternative that they were comfortable with was an initial goal. In our research & discussions with lots of users (burners), they just don't want the complexity that they feel comes with vaping. One of our goals was to create an instrument that could work in a way that is familiar to them, but deliver a non-combusted hit.

We're producing a simple tutorial on technique, we're calling "Heating on the Curve". We had the opportunity to share it in written form with 4 new users last Thursday, all of whom sent us emails quickly afterwards confirming how easy it was for them to get their technique once they had read the tube. For us, that's the holy grail...giving smokers a technique that's quick and logical and doesn't ask too much of them to get a good, solid hit repeatedly.

Top Bottom