thanks coolbreeze, those were most of my thoughts as well. I am definitely planning to invite him to participate on FC as most of us like to have the owner involved in discussions.
Hi coolbreeze, Kristen from MS here.Interesting. I would invite him to come talk to us. There are some here who can probably give substantial suggestions or work through problems that he won't have access to otherwise. Also, I feel like those interactions would do wonders to boost the image.
Substantially, I would say it needs a longer or diffused heat path to make it easier learn, and to consistently ride the line between a clean hit and charring. Also, I would be interested to understand how the stone is harmed by torch heat: would a sufficiently tamed heat path allow for torch use? For instance, an intake funnel could be added and removed easily for use, replacing the little intake built in. A choked intake ala Vapor Genie, Dynabox might work.
I was surprised to learn how thoroughly the soft flame flavor ruins the experience for me. Solving the heat intake issues are really all it needs in my opinion.
Edit: Maybe the vapor pipes @Ed's TnT or @Dreamwood make have solved this?
Count me in the unimpressed camp unfortunately... too bad cuz I love how it looks and was really into the idea of a spoon-pipe vape! Don't have much to add to whats been said already except for: Lord above this is one noisy vape. If you ever wanted to listen to the plaintive song of a lonesome banshee while vaping, then run, don't walk, to magicstone.us, cuz this is the machine for you!
Hi roller skater, Kristen from MS here.thanks coolbreeze, those were most of my thoughts as well. I am definitely planning to invite him to participate on FC as most of us like to have the owner involved in discussions.
I mean, I really worked at it and got it sort of functioning, but it was not easy and the butane flavor was unavoidable.So nice to know it wasn't user error since most of us have a lot of experience. I still waiting for my replacement to arrive but it was being shipped to work and I am on vacation this week.
Excellent review. You've reminded me of things to look for and think about.also got a replacement a few hours ago. I had a nice conversation with Jim from Magicstone about the device and what he thought was wrong with it, etc, and I'm glad to report that the new one works and I'm pretty stoned.
• This one actually works . Jim informed me that the first however-many units were flawed during manufacturing, and the proof of that pudding is in the vaping. I couldn't get anything out of the old one except the flavor of butane, and the herbs would be green in the basket afterward. With this replacement, as I said, I'm high and I have toasted abv. The vape works. The response time is pretty quick too. I'd put it between the Lotus and Vapman in terms of time-to-vapor.
• The material and object qualities are exceptional. This hasn't changed. They want me to send my original unworking piece back and I don't want to (of course, I will, lol), cuz I like looking at the two of them side by side! I really enjoy having this vape in-hand. It feels nice and looks nice, and I find it amusing that its not only recognizably a pipe but also somewhat esoteric in form. It has an "artifactual" quality that appeals to me quite a bit. I'm guilty of getting high and just looking at things (e.g. my cats), and I love looking at this thing. The way it feels, also, is great. The heft is satisfying and the stone is smooth. The bottom of the vape underneath the flame intake warms up and gives you some nice feedback. It's satisfying, reassuring, and approachable in a way that glass pipes - and I do like glass - just aren't.
• It is super easy to use. I was losing my mind with the last one because the main reason I got it was to share vaping with friends who are clumsy or unable to follow directions. But it works as advertised: hit it more or less like you hit a spoon pipe, with the same lighter even. This is a gestalt thing, but it all adds up to a qualitative friendliness that I don't think is replicated in any other flame-based vape (that I know of).
• It still whistles lmao . I was taking the piss about it before, but it is kind of funny.
• The basket screen is a little fiddly. It's just a normal basket screen we're all familiar with and at least for me it falls out easily. Consequently, refilling the basket, stirring the load, or anything else that involves taking the cap off needs a little more attention than I'd like. Jim said they were working on updating the baskets though so hopefully this becomes bad information just like my last post.
• The flavor isn't as good as other vapes I have. But I would share basically none of those other vapes with any of my typical stoner friends, at least not without setting up a metronome and making them watch a webinar on basic thermal dynamics (exaggerating(?) ). And the flavor isn't bad per se, but very muted. I tried with two quite different strains and mostly it tastes like itself, which is worse than tasting like weed but way better than tasting like a joint and way, way better than tasting like butane.
• While it is possible to combust, you will get feedback before it reaches the point of cherrying or flash igniting.
• With some kind of capsule system this would be my ideal hammocking vape. On demand hits so you don't feel obligated to be puffing until the vape shuts off, uses a regular-ass lighter available anywhere instead of some goofy battery or torch, and you can drop it pretty much wherever and however with almost no cares. I have a canvas hammock, but I just hit the odyssey again so I could rub the intake bushing after torching it, and I don't think it would even melt through a synthetic hammock. Maybe I'm wrong about that though as I've never had one. Maybe harsh words will melt one.
That's all I got for now. It doesn't break the mold for me in any way really - again, i have other vapes that get me higher faster and taste better - but it meets or exceeds the expectations I had now that I have a functioning unit. I like it and I think it's extremely well suited to camping, fishing, cooking out, etc in the company of smokers or cannabis newbies (we all know vapers would show up with their favorite shit in their pockets, so no need to share with those freaks ). It's just so easy to use and approachable compared to eg a Dynavap imo.
Hi Jimagic so happy you are on FC! I know you are still updating the Magicstone... is there any possibility of using a torch lighter instead of a regular flame? I know some of us here are concerned about the soot from it.Hey Rollerskater, Coolbreeze
It occurs to me that I'm the only one hear that may know you by your real names.
So I've been waiting until we got things right with our first FC owners before I came and introduced myself. So, I'm Jim Giberti, MagicStone Developer and chief Magic maker. Just to finish Rollerskater's point, when the first orders came in before we actually launched we were surprised how anyone found us and of course as I told our FC friends, a but freaked out that the first pieces went out to the most particular users in the world.
What happened was as soon as we heard there were issues, we looked through the first stock being finished in the shop and everything looked great but upon testing we found there was a misalignment on one of the several milling stations at the stone mill where the bodies are made before coming to the farm shops to be finished. In all there were about a dozen and of course the first went to FCers.
So after drinking a lot of Casamigos as a coping mechanism, I got a good night sleep and headed to the mill to get the alignment fixed. We began our final testing/firing process and launched officially about a month ago and things took off in a crazy (good) way here.
With all that out of the way, I'm really happy to finally join you all and I'm here to answer any questions anyone may have going forward.
Hey Tiny88, it's great to be here. The torch is just too intense to warm the stone and basically circumvents the concept/process. It needs a soft flame to build the heat and warm the oven. It was developed using a full size Bic which I really liked as a kind of a "Every person's" non combustion approach. We got the custom Clippers made for a few reasons - they're made from recyclable materials and they're refillable and come with a high quality fuel and we then recommend the Calibri triple filtered 99.99% fuel for refilling.Hi Jimagic so happy you are on FC! I know you are still updating the Magicstone... is there any possibility of using a torch lighter instead of a regular flame? I know of us here are concerned about the soot from it.
Hi Tiny, I'm unable to reproduce the problem. Can you message me or email email@example.com, as I'm not allowed to handle CS on this forum. It would help to know what browser you're on and have a screen grab. I only see the age popup. **Actually I found the problem, please try it again. That pop up should be gone now. Thanks for the heads up!
Hi There, the website was fine with another browser.Hi Tiny, I'm unable to reproduce the problem. Can you message me or email firstname.lastname@example.org, as I'm not allowed to handle CS on this forum. It would help to know what browser you're on and have a screen grab. I only see the age popup. **Actually I found the problem, please try it again. That pop up should be gone now. Thanks for the heads up!
Hey vapeape,This looks like a great vape gift idea for someone trying to quit smoking if it functions well and gets you where you need to be…
I also feel like if I had one, it would come in handy when hanging out with tokers, probably wouldn’t get that…what’s that plastic thingy or strange looking artisan vape comments