• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

L shaped side by side mod box enclosure

HerbieVonVapster

Can you please explain? I am planning on using an iHeat on a Steam Engine... what is the problem? The iHeat 510 base is crap?

On a new one you should be fine. If considering a used one I would ask about the base. Mine's sitting one a dna250 and very trouble free.

HerbieVonVapster,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I know this will sound maybe counter-productive, but just to put things straight: the only reason we might need to create a custom SBS mod is solely because the 3 principal 510 on-demand convection commercial products on the market today are just too fat. They don't fit in regular SBS mods (excepted the Witcher but it's a piece of crap)

But this doesn't need to be this way! You already knew that all 3 Project variants fit in many SBS mods and the Project Pure SF fits in all of them. It's even thinner than modern e-cig RTA's and RDA's.

So here's a picture to put things in perspective:

2u8kmt1.jpg

Our mod will never be shorter (in height) than a 18650 shown in brown on the picture. But we want the 510 base as low as possible. Possibly lower than on the SmoAnt Knight v2 mod shown on the right.

Attachments themselves don't have to be fat nor tall. If they are protected, a glass female GonG is all we need. From left to right we can see:
  • DivineTribe 14mm glass adapter
  • DivineTribe 18mm glass adapter
  • The Project Pure SF 14mm body (slightly shortened by myself)
  • The 18mm female joint found in RBT Milaana
  • The 18mm female joint found in RBT Zion
Finally on the Knight, you can see that a 18mm female joint (again from a Milaana) could fit but only down to the neck of the joint itself. The top lip is too wide. On the other hand a 14mm female joint can fit all the way down (for reference the Knight is for attys of 23mm max diameter)

PS: bonus for those with eagle eyes, you'll notice that the Pure SF body is yellowish on the picture right? This is the proof that in all these vapes, there is some backdraft happening and vapor also travels down to the heater compartment. This might be problematic when said compartment is sealed as you might never be able to fully clean the vape.

PS2: both DT adapters are exactly the same height. The Mi and Pure SF also happen to be the same height, but this is a lucky accident.

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Not totally happy with the form factor of my SBS P.A.M. still too big in my opinion.

Thinking about it - really liking this idea.

https://forum.vapelife.com/discussion/comment/66245

This would allow you to remove the dodgy 510 connector on the mini and swap for a higher quality connector.

My only concern would be how easy it is to wire up. Gonna make some enquires.

oddjobold,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
e1f3bd.jpg

1zecrkj.jpg

2ylp8k9.jpg

510 adapter mark 1 in progress. Not much to look at i know, use your imagination!

Was not happy with the P.A.M. prototype SBS. Too big was never gonna work. At that point i almost gave up. I still had two blanks of cherry, one which i already started drilling so mustered the energy to give one last attempt.

These two are slighty differnt sizes. One i measured wrongly, so it does not fit my cylon mod anymore. However i kept it encase it will fit a single battery mod. I will continue with the slightly bigger version. Got both out of one blank, so one blank left. Had to cut the blank in half length ways. Had nothing to do this but a hand saw and some G clamps. Little rough but worked!

Think this will need a lot of sanding now. However overall feeling more positive this might work.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I know i am slow. Sorry.

Got some time today and sanded the wood. Mostly the large hole for the RDA base. This was a few mm small on purpose. That way i cound sand to a tight fit. Took a lot of sanding with elbow grease and sandpaper. The RDA barley pushes in half way. This should be good, then i can tap it home with a hammer and glue it in. Will have to make sure it is in the correct position first with the mod.

Should not take much longer. Then its just soldering some wires to the 510 connector and gluing this in. Connecting everything together and doing something about the holes at the back. Either i could fill with wood filler / epoxy or just use sticky back plastic to cover it.

This will be for my Splinter Z. There should be a gap between the splinter and mod once setup. Not much i can do about that, need the clearance when the mod screws on to the adapter. Gonna see if i can fill the gap with some cork shims. Cork being quite soft will not damage the Z (Hopefully). Looking at this as a semi-permanent setup. Dont plan swapping 510s with this. Ill use my other smoant the naboo for other attys.

Any suggestions let me know!

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
20190103-170610.jpg
20190103-171251.jpg
20190103-171258.jpg

Some progress.

You have to turn the mod really tight to make it straight. I would make it loser next time (if there is a next time). Also the base is quite a bit wider than the mod. I will sand it down as much as i can. However i think the idea is still workable.

Any of the skilled wood workers we have here want to run with this idea, feel free. Just contact me. I dont have time to sell these - if the idea works.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
20190107-182618.jpg

After a lot of sanding to reduce the size this is what the adapter looks like

20190116-172126.jpg

Here it is progressed a little further. The 510 female now added. All i have to do is wire her up.

Overall i am still not happy. I will finish this prototype off seeing i am so close. Now i have the whole thing in my hand its 8.5cm wide. A bit big to get your hand around, and not very pocketable.

Come to the conculsion a dual 18650 mod is too big for this. Have brought a wismec sinous P80. After seeing a teardown video the quality of the 510 on the P80 does seem an improvement to the evic mini. Going to use the mod native for a while before givong this another go.

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I was not happy with the size of the adapter to be honest. It was to big for my pocket with the the cylon mod. I might be able to make something with a single battery mod that is smaller, but its hardly worth it.

The imp on a p80 is really tiny and pocket sized. I also have an elite lil bud on the way.

I dont think the adapter idea worked. However a specailly made mod box, pocket sized (L shaped?) that can take 32mm attys is still on my wish list. I think a lot of people think the same.

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Are there any SBS mods in the market that will take an ATTY that is slightly larger than
25mm?

Since I am a DIY klutz I would rather buy one that fits in my pocket.

TIA

stark1,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
That is a start but not stealthy at all, and will attract curious looks.... it should be more like an enclosure that hides the mod and the cartridge, with just the mouthpiece tube sticking out... a box could be added to this design, with holes for the screen and the buttons... It could be like a sleeve that slides over this rig. Wood is nice and all but for portability and durability a machined aluminium enclosure would be ideal... This sleeve should fit snugly to add stability to the mod and not strain the 510 connection when the rig is shaken around in a pocket or a bag.

The prototype i posted didn't have great conductance. There was noticeable power loss. It did work i need to redo the wires to a larger size

Yep, needs really thick wire that can take 30 amps. When I opened up my steam engine mod I saw it uses such thick wire for the short length from the fire button to the PCB.

Last edited:
Haze Mister,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Can you guess what it is yet?

IMG-20200929-101625.jpg

Yep I am pouring more money down the drain. This is the start of mark 2.

The idea behind this is simple. Make some kinda adapter so a splinter Z can be in a side by side config, rather than on top. End result something pocketable.

Mark 1 failed. It worked but was too big for your pocket. Mark 2 is gonna be based on the P80 rather than the 2 battery somant and have no wood frame. This is just the adapter. Was toying with the idea of opening up the mod and have wires coming out - but I got scared!

Parts used so far

1x Loop RDA - £10
Some 16 awg wire - £3
Source 510 30mm vflat - £10
10p coin - 10p
Glue

So I have taken the RDA sleeve and cut the top off with a hack saw. Then cut down by one of the Air ports to form a groove for the cable. Removed the grub screws and soldered the cables straight on the RDA. As this RDA has 4 holes, for 2 coils I have used 4 cables. 4 cables means less resistance. Some hot glue from the glue gun and some epoxy. A 10p coin on top.

IMG-20200929-112658.jpg

I was going to use some heat shrink but I might just leave the cables as they are. This silicone wire is quite flexible and the heatshrink a lot less so.

Waiting for this to dry then I am going to cut the cables down and solder on the 510 female. Not sure what I wil do at the 510 female end? Leave the contacts bear or cover somehow?

I could find a small plastic container to cover or mould some epoxy putty round the contact? Anyone else got any ideas?

Splinter Z will be held to the mod with bands, again open to ideas here?

Lets hope this works and I am not just waiting money again. Hahaha.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
IMG-20200929-143446.jpg

IMG-20200929-143453.jpg

IMG-20200929-143809.jpg

IMG-20200929-155019.jpg

IMG-20200929-155201.jpg

IMG-20200929-155204.jpg

I used a couple of plastic containers and a lot of glue from the hot glue gun. The end result is not pretty but it works.

Mission accomplished, just needs testing. I don't think I even need the elastic bands. I that's about as good as I can get with DIY tools. Would still like someone with better skills to make a nicer looking version. Functionality wise its what I wanted.

Hippie

Noice :cool: :clap::tup:

I'm still hopeful of there being an SBS style mod or adapter for us at some point with the recent popularity of the Stratum balance, supbox, sxk insider, aspire sunbox mixx, dovpo college, gnomes, sts ....

I usually put the 510 connectors for my diy extension leads in the small jars that fancy ecig drip tips sometimes come in (there's a few in the pics here)

Hippie,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Although ugly looking the size of this adapter is perfect. Much better than the MK1. I don't really think wood is the solution here. You have to make things as small as possible.

If I made a mk 3 (not sure I will). I would do everything exactly the same, expect the hot glue. When it came to boxing it in I would make a mould and use expoxy pouring resin.

Last edited:
oddjobold,
Reactions: arb

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Excuse me good sir, but WTF is that cable plugged into the mains??
Does this pass British Health & Safety standards, sir?
:science:

Hahaha I actually had some builders in at the time. This is their extension. I agree very dodgy!

oddjobold,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Noice :cool: :clap::tup:

I'm still hopeful of there being an SBS style mod or adapter for us at some point with the recent popularity of the Stratum balance, supbox, sxk insider, aspire sunbox mixx, dovpo college, gnomes, sts ....

I usually put the 510 connectors for my diy extension leads in the small jars that fancy ecig drip tips sometimes come in (there's a few in the pics here)

Thanks for the heads up mate! Been a long time I didn't follow the e-cig mod news... I was able to find all the ones you listed excepted the last one. STS you say? Any link?

KeroZen,

Hippie

I'm not sure if that's a typo or not now to be honest after trawling back through a few fasttech threads where I 1at heard about them to clarify for you.
The TEK division MX1, Ambition mods Easy, Vapeasy Stealth, and SXK STH are a few more that could have made the list ..... so my best guess is it's either an older mod or I meant to say STH

Hippie,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
IMG-20201013-173452.jpg

The hot glue gun body did not work out. The 510 female became lose when i was screwing the Splinter Z in. So I cut the electronics out carefully to reuse on the 2nd attempt.

To be honest I could just use the adapter without a body just having the bare wires as they are. With a sturdy body I am hoping to use less or no elastic bands.

So I brought some expoxy casting resin and a square mold. The mold is slightly too big width wise, so I have put a spacer in the mold. The spacer is just some off cuts of wood and plastic covered in tape.

Silicone mold £5.11
Epoxy casting resin £12.95

Not cheap but I already know I am liking this adapter. I used the Splinter Z like normal and I really did not like the size. This make it so much more manageable. Currently the resin is drying so we shall see what it looks like tomorrow. I hope once sanded it will look a lot better than the glue.

I now have a load of casting resin left over and a square mold. Anyone have any ideas of something cool to make?

Last edited:
oddjobold,
Top Bottom