Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
There are citizens, that hold government jobs. I know plenty of them. There are citizens on the left, and citizens on the right. And there are certainly fringe extremists, and most likely foreign spies.

But what makes our government great is……its of, by, and for the people. So when a nut job says the election was stolen….it was hundreds, thousands of individual citizens in election offices around the country, in every county, distributed, counting their votes. Maybe corrupt one guy, one office. But mostly people counting their neighbors votes.

So yea when trump tried to do illicit things as president you saw individual generals, county clerks, statewide election officials, budget officer, etc all drag their feet and say no. It’s the same with conservative county clerks who won’t process marriage certificates. Let it work its way through the courts. The process is long and filled with red tape intentionally to keep the change at a slow pace. There is your deep state.

Now is child trafficking a thing.. yep. Was Epstein a dirtbag. Yep. Does that have anything to do with the deep state?

There is no deep state.

edit. Thanks for the link but my malware detection and my bullshit detection will prevent me from clicking.

edit 2: by the way I also agree that the federalist society has had a deliberate attempt to place as many conservative members throughout the system to help stem the flow of change. It’s the last ditch effort of a shrinking minority to retain the power they had as a former majority as the demographic of the world changes against them.

Last edited:

getsoutalive

OK. won't click the link because your BS detector went off. As a lover of govt, I would expect no less. This is the key driver of ALL govt largess, IMO.

But consider this.

In 1964, the minimum wage was $1.25 /hr. At that time dimes and quarters were made with 90% silver content. So if you hold 5 quarters from before 1964, they are worth today approx $4 each. Making the equivalent current minimum wage $20/hr.

It is the financialization of the economy enabled by fiat money that has stolen the value of your labor. Those with assets can borrow money that did not exist before and bid up assets (stocks, houses) to levels that those with only their own labor cannot afford.

florduh

I suggest that it is NOT POSSIBLE for any govt to pull the strings just right to manage an economy in any manner that approaches the efficiency of free markets. And that starts at its base with money. Nixon and FDR before him did us all a grave disservice by severing the link with gold.

The only reason FDR got elected is because a laissez faire approach to the Infallible Free Market utterly failed.

I'm sure you have some belief that we just weren't Free Marketing hard enough. And I'm not going to try and argue you out of it. Because at the end of the day, Libertarianism is a religion. Substituting the Infallible Free Market for Jesus. Unfortunately these religious beliefs don't map on to actual reality.

We're at the end of 40+ years of various neoliberal Free Market reforms designed to benefit Capital over Labor. Ignoring all of that and hyperfocusing only on the gold standard is religious thinking.

Canna Chameleon

In 1964, the minimum wage was $1.25 /hr. At that time dimes and quarters were made with 90% silver content. So if you hold 5 quarters from before 1964, they are worth today approx $4 each. Making the equivalent current minimum wage $20/hr.

Well that’s interesting but not exactly how economists calculate inflation. But…. Show me the chart of ceo to average worker salary from then to now and we are getting somewhere.

Those with assets can borrow money that did not exist before and bid up assets (stocks, houses) to levels that those with only their own labor cannot afford
This I agree with 100 percent. Back to greed and systemic oppression to ensure the money stayed in the families that had it.

No reason in a capitalistic society for those who were successful to pass along the excess of their wealth to those that need it. (excess profits are withheld wages )

getsoutalive

The only reason FDR got elected is because a laissez faire approach to the Infallible Free Market utterly failed.

I'm sure you have some belief that we just weren't Free Marketing hard enough. And I'm not going to try and argue you out of it. Because at the end of the day, Libertarianism is a religion. Substituting the Infallible Free Market for Jesus. Unfortunately these religious beliefs don't map on to actual reality.

We're at the end of 40+ years of various neoliberal Free Market reforms designed to benefit Capital over Labor. Ignoring all of that and hyperfocusing only on the gold standard is religious thinking.
You might want to check the date of the founding of the federal reserve bank to understand the depression.

Sorry guys, knew this would be a mistake. But, government is the problem. not the solution.

Take care. Best of luck. We are gonna need it.

florduh

You might want to check the date of the founding of the federal reserve bank to understand the depression.

I'm well aware of Libertarian Religious beliefs surrounding the Federal Reserve. I used to be a member of the church myself.

But, government is the problem. not the solution.

Agree to disagree. In the modern world, reducing government power is ceding to corporate power. Given those (admittedly bad) choices, I prefer the guys I can at least vote for. In other words, I prefer democracy to feudalism. I understand we have a fundamental disagreement though.

Speaking of which.

Glad this is finally happening.

It's fine that Jeff Bezos had parents who could write him a $200,000 check at the perfect time in the 1990's to launch the first successful e-commerce website. But Jeff didn't invent the internet and I don't think getting a lucky break at the perfect time means he gets to dominate ecommerce forever.

Amazon likes finding successful small businesses advertising on their site, stealing their product idea, making a cheaper version, slapping an "Amazon Basics" label on it, then burying the original small business in their search engine.

Glad we finally have a FTC with teeth that's attempting to put an end to this brazen attack on competitive markets.

getsoutalive

Sorry, one more comment....

With the economy and basically EVERYTHING "measured" in Dollars, what are the consequences of allowing the banking system to create them out of thin air? Should not the measuring device be more "stable" for lack of a better word? What would our physical world look like if an inch wasn't always an inch, but got slightly smaller over time?

I have no love for Bezos, Gates, Trump, RFK, any of them. They ALL use the system against us. They own the politicians and you cannot afford to outbid them. DC doesn't give a damn about you.

Last edited:

florduh

I have no love for Bezos, Gates, Trump, RFK, any of them. They ALL use the system against us. They own the politicians and you cannot afford to outbid them. DC doesn't give a damn about you.

If you get rid of the government, the guys with all the capital will still find a way to lord their power over the people with little capital. That's the part you're missing. Getting rid of every check on their power isn't going to magically make them not want to dominate the rest of us.

Going back to the Gold Standard won't magically break Amazon's monopoly on ecommerce. We need a government that's willing to correct the Infallible Free Market's many failures. Like monopolization.

I agree there is too much corruption in government. The solution is to do our best to reduce or eliminate the influence of billionaires on the government. Not to just hand direct control of the country over to those billionaires.

Canna Chameleon

Going back to the Gold Standard won't magically break Amazon's monopoly on ecommerce.
Amen..let’s pick another random element on our planet to call the basis of value and wealth like that is the real issue.

Lithium is getting pretty valued and rare? Petroleum? Diamonds are just carbon formed under pressure…

Oh I know. How about plutonium?

getsoutalive

I have just been notified that the website I suggested was removed as a "conspiracy" site. I do not really understand how that could be as it is literally nothing more than financial charts with almost no commentary at all.

Like this...

cambells-soup.jpg

CANtalk

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:
CANtalk,
Reactions: florduh

Canna Chameleon

This has been eating at me for the past 12 hours.

It’s exactly the kind of crap QAnon is founded on. Half Astrology. Made up math to find a number that justifies their own crazy theories. But not based in fact at all.

People will read this made up bull crap and think it makes sense and then quote it like it’s got some value because someone figured out 4x5=20.

This is like me taking the cost of beef/lb and relating it to my weight in 1975 divided by the length of my dick in 1982 and somehow saying the total of that should equal how many times my wife should suck me off during that same timeframe.

It’s just utter horseshit.

Try this instead. https://www.calculator.net/inflation-calculator.html

florduh

Half Astrology

I think most of Economics is a Science in the same way Astrology is. Sure, stars, birthdays, supply, and demand all exist. But charlatans take these objective realities and extrapolate from them these weird mythologies. Economics is ideology. Not science.

aee.png

I'd also like to point out that lots of stuff happened in the 1970's. Not just "getting off the gold standard". The entire Neoliberal Revolution kicked off during these years, culminating with the election of Saint Regan.

Also... 70's inflation was sparked by the OPEC cartel's oil embargo. That's why prices started skyrocketing. Absolute scumbag charlatans like libertarian economist Milton Friedman used this situation to inflict their ridiculous ideology on the Western world.

I'm a child of the Reagan Revolution. Born during Saint Reagan's second term. Over the past few years I've become endlessly fascinated by the 1970's. That decade is the linchpin that explains our current situation more than anything else.

I've recommended Rick Perlstein's book Reaganland before, but it was a great primer for someone like me who didn't live through the 70's.

Pukka

This is like me taking the cost of beef/lb and relating it to my weight in 1975 divided by the length of my dick in 1982 and somehow saying the total of that should equal how many times my wife should suck me off during that same timeframe.
Hush! You'll mess everything up ...

Pukka,
Reactions: cybrguy

olysh pops

This has been eating at me for the past 12 hours.

I feel bad for you.

Fascism is a political position, not a line of reasoning.

You may find more success, interest and pleasure in trying to understand how someone can become authoritarian. By looking at social hacking for example.

Contents (translated into English)
[F1] You fascist ! Studies on the authoritarian personality
[F2] "The Jewish threat..." Anti-Semitism or the fear of contamination
[F3] "We are strong and good, they are weak and bad ! ethnocentrism
[F4] Liberalism or conservatism... a history of ignorance and confusion
[F5] Anti-weak, aggressive, intolerant and submissive: the authoritarian, potentially fascist personality
[F6] Is the fascist the one who calls you a fascist ? Reviews of the F scale
[F7] A totalitarian family
[F8] "Me !" How do potential fascists and antifascists see themselves ?
[F9] Fascist personality and sex : the search for stereotype rather than love
[F10] Hell is other people
[F11] Fascist syndromes
[F12] Critiques II: Can we really rely on Adorno's studies to understand fascism today ?
[F13] Pseudo-intellectual, narcissistic, "unmanipulable" and yet gullible... Is this the new fascist ?
[F14] Neutralizing, transforming and preventing the roots of fascism.

PS I don't know the English equivalent site, but I'm sure it exists. Until you find it, you can use deepL for translation.

Last edited:
olysh pops,

florduh

Chairman Gruesome Gavin has betrayed the Revolution.

This bill was a good idea. I haven't seen a strike in recent memory that hasn't been 100% justified. They're always a result of Corporate Bosses refusing to negotiate in good faith.

For example, the WGA strike just ended...

5 months ago the Studio Bosses said all of the writers' demands were "impossible" and would bankrupt them. Then they gave in to virtually all of the demands.

So why did they put everyone through this mess? Putting people in a city with some of the highest rents in the world out of work for months...just to see if they could get away with it?

Letting striking workers collect unemployment would be a great disincentive against this type of corporate fuckery. But this is a good reminder that Newsom isn't some Left Winger. He's just a sexy neoliberal.

florduh

Transgenderism is an AboMiNAtion….It doesn’t happen naturally in the animal……oops

donald-trump-many-such-cases.gif

Very funny given the recent political situation in The Free State. Alligators are Florida's original, and arguably best, residents.

FurIzLkWIAoKY4F

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
cybrguy,
Reactions: CANtalk

CANtalk

Last edited:
CANtalk,
Top Bottom