Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

florduh

I'm sorry...but this lady is a former labor leader turned sellout.

Uber hired her to help them crush any move to improve working conditions for their drivers.

When people say unions are corrupt, I agree. But they're corrupt because too often union leaders get bought by the bosses to sell out their members. Butler is one of those.

And if that wasn't enough...

California is in the middle of a crushing housing crisis. Rent is truly out of control for working people. And Gruesome Gavin decided to name a fucking Airbnb consultant as their new Senator? Beyond parody.

Really hard not to be totally disillusioned with politics in this country. Or at least national politics.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.

I'm sorry...but this lady is a former labor leader turned sellout.

Uber hired her to help them crush any move to improve working conditions for their drivers.

When people say unions are corrupt, I agree. But they're corrupt because too often union leaders get bought by the bosses to sell out their members. Butler is one of those.

And if that wasn't enough...

California is in the middle of a crushing housing crisis. Rent is truly out of control for working people. And Gruesome Gavin decided to name a fucking Airbnb consultant as their new Senator? Beyond parody.

Really hard not to be totally disillusioned with politics in this country. Or at least national politics.

If only more self proclaimed geniuses would get out from behind their keyboards and run for office.
heck @florduh you should run a campaign! (Said in jest ….kinda ).

however. case in point. I want nothing to do with political or administrative bodies after watching the rules of order be dismantled in many fraternity chapter meetings.

Canna Chameleon,

florduh

If only more self proclaimed geniuses

Doesn't really take a genius to notice that the Governor from the Bluest State in the country appointing a Senator who's on the take from some of the scummiest corporations on Earth is some real disheartening bullshit, but ok dude.

florduh,

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Doesn't really take a genius to notice that the Governor from the Bluest State in the country appointing a Senator who's on the take from some of the scummiest corporations on Earth is some real disheartening bullshit, but ok dude.
Wait till you read she doesn’t currently live in CA.

My only points are really.

A. What did you expect?

B. Until more average folks run and win we are stuck with what we got.

Canna Chameleon,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

Wait till you read she doesn’t currently live in CA.
guy-smoking-cigarette-meme-vobss-3.jpg

A. What did you expect?

You're right. Hiring an Uber consultant and passing her off as a labor hero is about par for the course. I think it was the one-two punch of also having an AirBnB credit that shocked me. But it shouldn't have.

B. Until more average folks run and win we are stuck with what we got.

I get what you mean, but I think the problem is much bigger than decent people not running for office.

I've worked on local campaigns and community organizing campaigns. At this point I think that's a good place for decent regular people to focus their energies. National politics will be bad for the foreseeable future.

florduh

efe3ddc4e4840b531ad8f767ba9c3e0ef13a6a025999bf3ad49aa0a6eceb46cf_1.jpg

F7knKmyX0AAS0y0

So, to recap. Besides the House of Representatives completely dissolving, in the past week:

Our most recent former President, and possibly our next President, was found guilty of cartoonish levels of real estate fraud.

A senile Senator cast a vote at noon on one day, only to die of extreme old age by the next morning.

It turns out another Senator was getting paid in gold bars to do corruption for Egypt.

This same Senator just narrowly avoided getting convicted on separate corruption charges because of a hung jury.

Instead of acting like a normal person and saying "sheesh, that was close...I guess I better start living life on the straight and narrow!" on the way out of the courthouse, he turns to a staffer and says:

i-want-you-to-get-the-word-out-there-that-we-back-up-the-wire.gif

Super cool, normal country!👍

CANtalk

:peace: :leaf:

florduh

Reducing poverty is simple: give the impoverished money with no strings attached. 50 years of neoliberal brain rot is the only reason everyone can't understand this simple fact.

This also benefits the entire economy. Unlike that dumbass Reagan bullshit, trickle up economics actually works.

florduh

Perhaps you're correct, but I think you've forgotten the philosophy of TANSTAAFL. Kind of important, don't you think 🙃?

1) Milton Friedman is a dumb fraud who's currently burning in hell.

2) I never hear anyone crying about a "free lunch" when we print money to give multinational trillion dollar corporations massive tax breaks.

3) Yeah....there's no such thing as a "free lunch". There is a cost to allowing homelessness and poverty to fester by not spending the money to fix it.

Last edited:

Pukka

1) Milton Friedman is a dumb fraud who's currently burning in hell.

2) I never hear anyone crying about a "free lunch" when we print money to give multinational trillion dollar corporations massive tax breaks.

3) Yeah....there's no such thing as a "free lunch". There is a cost to allowing homelessness and poverty to fester by not spending the money to fix it.
1) Wouldn't urinate in Freidman if he was on fire. Economists are no different than statisticians, both are never truthful.

2) You are making assumptions about how I think/my political views. That is never safe. I would humbly suggest you cease.

3) Unfortunately our government has tried, using your theory, since Johnson's "Great Society". Works real well, doesn't it.

Quite honestly, I'd rather see our government spend our money on something like Roosevelt's WPA before adopting UBI.

Pukka,

florduh

You are making assumptions about how I think/my political views. That is never safe. I would humbly suggest you cease.

Wouldn't urinate in Freidman if he was on fire. Economists are no different than statisticians, both are never truthful.

My apologies. "TANSTAAFL" was a common Friedman refrain. IMO, his brand of bullshit has done incalculable damage to this world.

Unfortunately our government has tried, using your theory, since Johnson's "Great Society". Works real well, doesn't it.

When I look around at inner cities or coal country, I definitely don't come away thinking "the problem here is we've invested too much money in these communities".

Quite honestly, I'd rather see our government spend our money on something like Roosevelt's WPA before adopting UBI.

I'm agnostic about what the specific solutions are, tbh. I just no longer buy into the religious belief that tax cuts are magic and the Infallible Free Market will fix all.

Here's how Finland is on track to eliminate homelessness:

Step 1 is "put homeless people in homes".

Pukka

Step 1 is "put homeless people in homes".
TBH, that's exactly what my local government (Albuquerque, NM) is trying to do/doing with tiny homes and redevelopement of a closed regional hospital into temporary-ish housing. Fine with me, it's an excellent use of existing resource to help an underserved community. And, fyi, Freidman isn't the only one to adopt the "Free Lunch" monicker. Read some Spyder Robinson (start with the Calahan series or Lifehouse) if you have some free time. You might enjoy him.

Pukka,

florduh

Read some Spyder Robinson (start with the Calahan series or Lifehouse) if you have some free time. You might enjoy him.

Thanks! I'm a big sci-fi head so I appreciate the recommendation.

This is huge news. Trump has been out there saying the transition to EV's is gonna fuck over workers. And he was sort of right. Automakers created subsidiaries and spinoffs not covered by UAW agreements. President Fain is correcting that issue though.

Plus, I love a guy who looks and sounds like an average Midwest dad openly doing class warfare on behalf of the working class.

Last edited:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion

On about a third of days in 2023, the average global temperature was at least 1.5C higher than pre-industrial levels.
Staying below that marker long-term is widely considered crucial to avoid the most damaging impacts of climate change.
But 2023 is "on track" to be the hottest year on record, and 2024 could be hotter.

Nah, still not anything to do with man....

florduh

Omg, this is underhanded even for shell!

That definitely sucks, but Shell wreaked environmental destruction across Niger and then straight up murdered 9 people for standing up to them. Fortnite skins seem pretty tame for them.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Oh I wholeheartedly agree. They've done some seriously evil shit. But trying to affect the next generations view of them in this way is fucked up, sliding into thier subconsciousness....

"Cos none of that history matters if the next generation have a positive view of us and how we operate."

florduh

Yeah..... fuck this guy. I assume he's doing this stupid shit to impress voters in Middle America, but I got news for you: they aren't voting for a Gavin Newsom Presidency anyway. Everybody outside of the State thinks California is a hellhole. Because of the homeless problem.

Maybe Gavin should focus on using his 100 billion dollar budget surplus to fix that instead of doing these dumbass vetoes.

florduh,
Top Bottom