CANtalk

Moar new

This too

:peace: :leaf:

florduh

Moar new

This too

:peace: :leaf:

lol, the fuck is Ken Burns doing in between these demons?

20230819-Thomas-Koch-Lead.jpg

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Maybe he's there to do a documentary on American oligarchy and it's undue influence on the Supreme Court. He not a member, after all, he's only worth a few million.

florduh

Maybe he's there to do a documentary on American oligarchy and it's undue influence on the Supreme Court. He not a member, after all, he's only worth a few million.

He responded

Around ten years ago, Ken was stopped and asked to take a photograph with a Supreme Court Justice and David Koch, who was a supporter of public television and would later provide some funding for his film, The Vietnam War. So he took the photo, as he has done with many, many others. Other than the taking of that photograph and innocuous pleasantries, that’s the extent of his contact with Justice Thomas,”

Very funny that we're at the point where a documentary filmmaker has to distance himself from one of the highest ranking members of the American government like he accidentally took a picture with a serial killer or something. Broken country.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm not sure I'd call it funny. Sad maybe. Our system of government with its 3 coequal branches is brilliant by design but was never designed to deal properly with one or more of those branches going completely off the deep end. It was always believed that the respect and comity the members showed one another would keep the system intact and moving forward. It was all built on norms and respect for the institutions built over time. For whatever reason we didn't predict a criminal president or a principle party supporting a criminal president, no matter his behavior, just for power. I guess we're going to find out whether or not the system can manage itself and deal with such an anomaly.

florduh

For whatever reason we didn't predict a criminal president

The Founders didn't anticipate....George HW Bush? He appointed Thomas to the Court. I do think he's a criminal. Because he was probably involved in the Kennedy Assassination.

HW and W (the second time) are the only two Presidents of my lifetime the majority of voters selected for President. Yet we have a Supreme Court made up mostly of partisan Republicans openly on the take from Billionaires. Can't say I agree this system is brilliant.

Frankly, Joe Brandon needs to give Clarence Thomas a week to resign in shame. If he refuses, Joe needs to appoint about 10, 28 year old new law school graduates with pink hair and nose piercings to the Court.

economy fdr GIF

I don't think the old man has it in him though. On a more positive note, I was wrong. Brandon isn't gonna be the first President in my life to visit a picket line. He's the first President in anyone's lifetime to do so.

President Joe Biden has described himself as the "most pro-union president in American history." He would be the first president ever to visit a picket line. In an unprecedented show of solidarity with organized labor, President Joe Biden will join the picket line of striking members of the United Auto Workers union outside of a production facility in Michigan on Tuesday.

Trump is also visiting striking workers in Detroit. But NOT the picket line. Donnie's plan is to try and drive a wedge between UAW members and their President, Sean Fein. Good luck with that, lol.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Brandon isn't gonna be the first President in my life to visit a picket line. He's the first President in anyone's lifetime to do so.
I was pretty disappointed in a few chances that Biden had to support labor and failed, notably the rail workers. I'm happy to see that he thinks this is going to earn him votes. I think it could definitely help with the strike.

Now go join the pocket lines in Hollywood, Joe.

florduh

I was pretty disappointed in a few chances that Biden had to support labor and failed, notably the rail workers. I'm happy to see that he thinks this is going to earn him votes. I think it could definitely help with the strike.

Now go join the pocket lines in Hollywood, Joe.

Yeah, Joe pretty much single handedly broke the rail workers strike. I know a rail strike would be really bad for the country. But the choice for "the most pro-union President in history" should've been easy: force the freight rail cartel to give in to the workers' reasonable demands. Instead, he sided with the corpos.

But good on him for supporting the UAW. I wanted Bernie to be President, not because he was gonna get Medicare for All passed. That almost certainly wasn't happening in the near term. But Bernie would've travelled to every union picket line. And having the most powerful guy on earth show up to your strike absolutely moves the needle.

President Sinn Fein continues to do a bang-up job. Capital loves using a divide and conquer strategy against Labor. Pitting worker against worker as we fight among each other like crabs in a bucket. The UAW is turning that strategy on the Corpos. Ford is negotiating in good faith, so they were spared a strike expansion. Bad news for Stellaris and GM though.

florduh

I always shit on Americans for knowing almost nothing about history, but it turns out Canadians aren't much better.

Yeah, Putin is a war criminal. Ukrainians fighting against Russians in 2023 are the good guys. But fighting against Russia in World War II means you were a Nazi. It's amazing that I even need to say this.

Something like 80% of the Nazi soldiers who were killed in that war died to a Soviet bullet.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Why do Americans have to pay so much more than the citizens of any other country for basic services, care and medication? It doesn't seem fair or reasonable, but for whatever reason, the government allows it to occur. I can't imagine that it might be because the members of our government themselves are profiting from these unfair and unique realities...

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Why do Americans have to pay so much more than the citizens of any other country for basic services, care and medication? It doesn't seem fair or reasonable, but for whatever reason, the government allows it to occur. I can't imagine that it might be because the members of our government themselves are profiting from these unfair and unique realities...

“politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.”​

― Oscar Ameringer

florduh

Part of it is directly protecting the profits of rich people, yes. But I think there's another big reason we don't have universal healthcare. Tying healthcare to your employer makes workers more precarious.

You're less likely to talk back to your boss if they can, not only cut you off from your source of income, food, and housing. But also your access to healthcare.

Sure, you can always get another job but...many employers have a "probationary period" before health insurance kicks in. It's a risky gamble. Because getting caught with a medical emergency in between health insurance coverage can literally destroy your entire life.

It's the same reason we don't solve homelessness, despite everyone's bitching across the political spectrum. It would be trivially easy to solve the entire problem within a matter of months.

But having visible homeless keeps the working poor in line. Sure, if your job is to clean the aisles at Rite Aid or something, your life is a nightmarish struggle. But hey, at least you don't have to live without shelter, like an animal, until you're driven completely insane.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Part of it is directly protecting the profits of rich people, yes. But I think there's another big reason we don't have universal healthcare. Tying healthcare to your employer makes workers more precarious.
For years I had wondered why giant corporations didn't lobby for socialized medicine. It would save enormous amounts of money and labor. It would definitely reduce waste. Then I realized the double benefit to the companies in the current system. It keeps people tied to jobs they hate and it's a "benefit" they can tout to prospective workers.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
There is no doubt that that is true. I am personally going through an example where one of my clients is a senior care facility that requires me to let their valets park my car. My car was recently damaged, not badly, but clearly hit by a car while they had it, and I am struggling getting them to take care of it without getting aggressive with them for fear of losing the gig. The cost of that repair is significantly less than what I get paid by them on a yearly basis. And I am too old and too tired to go out there looking for new business. :doh:

florduh

It keeps people tied to jobs they hate and it's a "benefit" they can tout to prospective workers.

I remember in 2020, the most ghoulish elements of the Democratic Party were saying Bernie is Anti-Labor because Unions worked hard to negotiate excellent healthcare packages for their members. And his Medicare for All plan is spitting in their faces.

The obvious answer to that is, if every citizen is guaranteed excellent healthcare, unions would then be free to negotiate harder for better pay and working conditions. Though I'm sure that's exactly what the people spreading that bullshit wanted to prevent.

The cost of that repair is significantly less than what I get paid by them on a yearly basis. And I am too old and too tired to go out there looking for new business.

I'm sorry dude. That sucks.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
I've been working there as a 1099 employee for over 20 years. They should have just taken care of it without any argument, as I expected they would, but it turns out that's not who they are any more.

Many many stories like that. When I started in the corporate world in 1991 I found my healthcare and dental was free, I had a pension AND a 401(k) with an incredible match, plus logo item giveaways, corporate picnics, and vendor sponsored golf tournaments.

Some lost to things like supplier diversity, and anti bribery rules from legal. Some to things like HR policy and insurance liability.

But we lost far more to executive bonus structure, forced ranking, and pre-IPO financials. Of course they played it like it was a huge benefit to save the company from litigation risk. But the RSUs and stock grants were public and it was obvious who got rich.

After that we lost the pension to a ”defined benefit “ plan which was eventually migrated to an IRA and the plan folded. The 401 benefit was reduced by half and the health care became a high deductible plan with an HSA.

you can find my next comment over in the Fuck You thread.

florduh

I always shit on Americans for knowing almost nothing about history, but it turns out Canadians aren't much better.

Yeah, Putin is a war criminal. Ukrainians fighting against Russians in 2023 are the good guys. But fighting against Russia in World War II means you were a Nazi. It's amazing that I even need to say this.

Something like 80% of the Nazi soldiers who were killed in that war died to a Soviet bullet.

The fact 100% of Canadian Parliament didn't know who the Russians were fighting in WWII is so fucking funny.

florduh,
Reactions: Shrike

florduh

Joe Brandon visited the UAW picket line with President Sean Fein.

Meanwhile, the most indicted man in America is doing a rally at a non-union parts supplier.

UAW is not affiliated with Trump’s Wednesday rally at Drake Enterprises, which is reportedly a non-union supplier of engine, transmission and other components for heavy truck, agriculture and automotive markets.

Edit: Yet another reminder of why the O'Bungler Administration sucked so fucking bad. It was full of absolute demons like this:

F6-Vt9GXQAAM7jF

Uhhhhhhhh..... let me be clear. The President "putting his thumb on the scale" to benefit working people over the rich is good, actually.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
While I don't have the same distaste you do for the Obama administration, I am very happy to see President Biden supporting the unions. Especially at this time. And I expect it will serve him well in 2024.

Top Bottom