• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
While I don't play and I rarely watch, I still find it quite sad that for a pocket full of gold many of the sports best players are willing to help Saudi Arabia totally sportswash their country and totally fuck the league that turned all those players into multimillionaires. I guess they want to be zillionaires. So much for "sportsmanship". Anyone who doubts it's ALL about the money for these guys is not paying attention.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
While I don't play and I rarely watch, I still find it quite sad that for a pocket full of gold many of the sports best players are willing to help Saudi Arabia totally sportswash their country and totally fuck the league that turned all those players into multimillionaires. I guess they want to be zillionaires. So much for "sportsmanship". Anyone who doubts it's ALL about the money for these guys is not paying attention.

"It's blood money."

florduh

In the new study, Galvani’s team compared the mortality risks of COVID-19 among people with and without insurance, as well as their risks of all other causes of death. The researchers compiled population characteristics of all uninsured Americans during the pandemic, taking into account things such as age-specific life expectancy and the elevation in mortality associated with a lack of insurance. They calculated that 131,438 people in total could have been saved from dying of COVID in 2020 alone. And more than 200,000 additional deaths from COVID-19 could have been averted since then, bringing the total through March 12, 2022, to more than 338,000.

In a non-pandemic year, 25,000-45,000 Americans die because they can't afford healthcare for easily treatable diseases. And that's almost certainly a low estimate. It doesn't account for things like Americans with insurance avoiding going to the doctor because they're worried about affording the bill if a serious medical condition is discovered. Delaying care until it's too late.

So my guess is this 338,000 estimate over the past two years is low. But hey. At least health insurance company executives and major shareholders get to re-do the kitchens on their summer yachts every year. That's the important thing.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
My theory that every single person who cries about "moral degeneracy" is themselves secretly a degenerate is still undefeated.
I have noticed over the decades that when someone is concerned that someone else may be cheating, etc. its not uncommon for them to be projecting their own proclivities on someone else.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Same is true of the most vociferous homophobes. It is a form of projection that the former guy is famous for. That which we most fear about ourselves we project on to others as a form of denial. Though with Trump it tends to be done intentionally and knowingly rather than just as a psychological self protection mechanism. Trump is perfectly aware of how well it works and it is just another of his tools of deception. Another way to fool the rubes that he views as suckers.

florduh

I knew when I heard the Fed was raising interest rates, their unspoken goal was to discipline workers and bring wages down. They'll do a summoning circle and call Paul Volker's ghost out of Hell to force a recession.

circle.jpg

Turns out I was wrong. It's not an unspoken goal. They're just saying it openly.

At a May 4 press conference in which he announced a .5 percent interest rate hike, the largest since the year 2000, Powell said he thought higher interest rates would limit business’ hiring demand and lead to suppressed wages. As he put it, by reducing hiring demand, “that would give us a chance to get inflation down, get wages down, and then get inflation down without having to slow the economy and have a recession and have unemployment rise materially.”

Over the past two years, workers have seen just a little bit of power shift in their direction for the first time in my life. That will not stand. The serfs need to be put in their place. No more of this $15 an hour bullshit.

Inflation in consumer goods prices is rising much faster than wages are growing. Inflation in the housing market, which was already a problem pre-pandemic, greatly outpaces increases in wages. In fact for most, real wages are decreasing. But not fast enough for the corporate elite the Fed (and our entire government) serves.

From what I've seen of the news, no one is even questioning this. That's just the way it's gotta be under neoliberal capitalism.

BleuEyedOne

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton
"I think ... I would just have to say, if I had the opportunity to talk to the people I'd have to say, look, there's always a plan. I believe God always has a plan. Life is short no matter what it is. And certainly, we're not going to make sense of, you know, a young child being shot and killed way before their life expectancy."

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Last edited:

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist

Nearly 50 years to the day since the Watergate break ins. Somehow I suspect even tbough it was the Capital building broken in to this time, it won't shake tbe foundation of the nation. It's a sign of tbe times. Essentially the same script though, someone looking for political info to use further thier political agenda breaks into a building and tries to find info to damage the other party. I'm just glad it wasnt Jeff Dunham and Walter, we dont need another insurrection hearing.

Last edited:

florduh

A new study published in The Annals of Internal Medicine sought to determine if gun ownership makes people safer. After all, that's why we want guns. To protect our families. They chose California as the test site due to their extensive records on gun owners.

We studied 18 million adults living in California. Nearly 2,300 of them died by homicide over the 12 years of the study. Thanks to California’s historical archive of firearm transactions, we could identify who in this enormous population personally owned guns, and who lived with gun owners. The study’s goal was to see whether homicides were more or less likely to occur in homes with handguns.

18 million people studied over 12 years is definitely a statistically significant sample size. There have been other studies like this, but this is the first that looked at the safety of the entire household. In other words, the people guns are meant to protect. Let's see how they fared.

People living with handgun owners died by homicide at twice the rate of their neighbors in gun-free homes. That difference was driven largely by homicides at home, which were three times more common among people living with handgun owners.

Ok, ok. But there's a lot of family members killing each other in that mix. I would never use my gun on a loved one! My guns are meant to protect me and my family from intruders. What do these smart ass science people have to say about that!

We did not detect even a hint of such protective benefits. If anything, our results suggest that cohabitants of handgun owners were more likely to be killed by strangers, although that result did not reach statistical significance.

If there's a protective benefit to gun ownership, you'd think it would be apparent when looking at a huge population over a 12 year period.

DrJynx86

Just a bunch filled their tanks very cheaply and now there is less gas for everyone else, I wouldn't celebrate it.

DrJynx86,
Reactions: shredder

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist

A new study published in The Annals of Internal Medicine sought to determine if gun ownership makes people safer. After all, that's why we want guns. To protect our families. They chose California as the test site due to their extensive records on gun owners.

18 million people studied over 12 years is definitely a statistically significant sample size. There have been other studies like this, but this is the first that looked at the safety of the entire household. In other words, the people guns are meant to protect. Let's see how they fared.

Ok, ok. But there's a lot of family members killing each other in that mix. I would never use my gun on a loved one! My guns are meant to protect me and my family from intruders. What do these smart ass science people have to say about that!

If there's a protective benefit to gun ownership, you'd think it would be apparent when looking at a huge population over a 12 year period.

Man that study really helps put the push to outlaw pointy knives in rhe UK into perspective.
According to the study in the article you posted.:

"People living with handgun owners died by homicide at twice the rate of their neighbors in gun-free homes. That difference was driven largely by homicides at home, which were three times more common among people living with handgun owners.

We detected much larger differences for particular types of homicide. Most notably, people living with handgun owners were seven times more likely to be shot by their spouse or intimate partner. In many of these cases, instead of being protective, the household gun probably operated as the instrument of death"

Reminds me of these stories.

A police force has defended a "ludicrous" decision to give domestic abuse victims blunt knives to replace sharp implements in their kitchens.

Nottinghamshire Police hopes the scheme will reduce the number of people being seriously injured by their partners.

The force stressed it was a "tiny trial" in one part of the county and part of wider protective measures.

The idea has attracted criticism and one psychologist said it could put victims in greater danger.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-48609164

London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced a crackdown on knives Sunday in response to the rising levels of violence in London, which recently surpassed New York City's homicide rate for the first time.

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife," Khan tweeted. "Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law."

Taking the guns didn't stop the violence so now the pointy kitchen knives are being targeted, this letter sums it up.

The latest call for knife controls comes from the Church of England.

"We the undersigned are professionals and community leaders from across the UK who call on Government to see the sale of pointed domestic kitchen knives as a thing of the past," reads open letter from the Diocese of Rochester, signed by church leaders, lawmakers, psychiatrists, academics, and the like. "Historically we needed a point on the end of our knife to pick up food because forks weren't invented. Now we only need the point to open packets when we can't be bothered to find the scissors."

Once they get the guns crime doesn't magically disappear so instead of recognizing it isn't the inanimate object, they start banning pointy knives. If they are now after the knives in the UK that pretty proves they wont stop in the US once they get the evil AR.

The media loves to tell us about how deadly firearms are in the USA, they also love to tell us about mass murderes and serial killers, at least when it fits a certain narrative. Ever heard of Billy Chemirmir? He was a Texas based serial killer who was convicted of killing 18 women in 2018 and he isuspected of at least 6 more murders. He murdered all his victims with a pillow, meaning he smothered 24 people for about 7 minutes each but since he didnt use a gun or a knife, his story wasnt worth air time.

Yep, a pillow, so I guess once the pointy knives fail to stop murders pillows are next. Until we recognise inanimate onjects dont murder people, criminals and crazy people do, they'll just keep outlawing inanimate objects instead of focusing on the mental health issues.

Last edited:
Babylon Drifter,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
There isn't one response to this post out of the many that run through my head that won't get me a point at least so y'all are just gonna have to use your imagination. Otherwise, have a nice day.

Top Bottom