Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

florduh

What happens when one of those cars catch on fire, like they're apt to do? One lane? This "genius" invented a more expensive, shittier subway.

Jesus is this heartbreaking. And this poor man gets hassled by the same group of pigs who cowered outside while his granddaughter was gunned down. They're always so fuckin brave when encountering an unarmed citizen they can lord their power over.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
They're always so fuckin brave when encountering an unarmed citizen they can lord their power over.

No worries, once the only people with guns are the government, the police and the criminals, the police and government will be much nicer to everyone and be far more respectful of of our rights.

Babylon Drifter,
  • Haha
Reactions: florduh

Planck

believes in Dog
What happens when one of those cars catch on fire, like they're apt to do? One lane? This "genius" invented a more expensive, shittier subway.
Alarms sound at the on site emergency response team and LV Fire Dept. Emergency ventilation and lighting engage. The auto fire suppression system kicks in. Peeps grab the portable air packs and evacuate via the emergency exits..

naaa I jest. None of that exists, you get to preview what a exceptionally nice day on Mars is like and then you die. It's a thrill ride!

florduh

Turns out being a good guy with a gun is more difficult than movies and video games make it seem.

1/5 shooters are stopped by a bystander. But most of the time, that bystander is unarmed. About 3% of active shooters are stopped by a good guy with a gun.

So if the solution to school shootings is strapping all the teachers, are they getting qualified immunity like the cops? Right now, cops aren't liable in any way for shooting someone, so long as they can say they were scared. Is that courtesy being passed on to teachers? Because as it stands, if they shoot the wrong person, they're liable. If they have a gun and don't act to stop a shooting, they're liable.

Also, are taxpayers footing the bill for the guns and training, or is this burden being put on the teachers? Many teachers already work many unpaid hours every week. Many of them have to spend a portion of their meager salaries buying supplies for their classes. Are teacher salaries and pensions going up to match what cops make? Teaching kids AND being a public safety professional seems more complicated than writing tickets and cowering outside during school shootings.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
My daughter teaches 5th grade and is a second degree black-belt...... No way she should be handling a gun in an active shooter situation without investing in a similar amount of training and even then........ It took her almost a decade to earn those belts.

Nobody can be sure what they'd do but she feels strongly that "these are her kids" so I suspect she would do whatever she could but this is ridiculous. Arming teachers with no military background or experience is stupid. Arming teachers who have prior military experience AND providing them with additional training sounds more plausible BUT IT ALL sounds like a last resort. Is this the best we can do?!?!? Really!?!?!?

florduh

My daughter teaches 5th grade and is a second degree black-belt...... No way she should be handling a gun in an active shooter situation without investing in a similar amount of training and even then........ It took her almost a decade to earn those belts.

Nobody can be sure what they'd do but she feels strongly that "these are her kids" so I suspect she would do whatever she could but this is ridiculous. Arming teachers with no military background or experience is stupid. Arming teachers who have prior military experience AND providing them with additional training sounds more plausible BUT IT ALL sounds like a last resort. Is this the best we can do?!?!? Really!?!?!?

It just seems odd. We're expecting teachers to act more bravely than cops. The idea is, if armed shooter bursts into a classroom, the teacher will be more motivated to act than the cops. But if a shooter bursts into a classroom, and we're advertising that teachers are strapping...they're the first ones getting shot. So now you're relying on teachers in other classrooms to act. They'll be in the same situation as the Uvalde cops. We're expecting the Calculus teacher down the hall to act more bravely than the guys who ride around in "protect and serve" cars.

We'll also need teachers to wear a uniform or something easily identifiable. Otherwise they're very likely to get shot whenever the cops decide to mosey on in. And the liability issue is very real. Cops miss an alarming amount of the time. And their job requires firearm training. Are we expecting teachers to be a better shot than the professionals? Or are we granting them immunity when their bullet hits the wrong kid?

77carrera3

We've been led to believe that the "police" will protect us, as well as our children, but that just isn't true.
Unfortunately, police officers are under no "duty" to protect anyone, except themselves, and possibly their fellow officers.
The sooner everyone accepts that, the sooner we can possibly make some changes that might help protect everyone.
Every county, in every state, most likely, has some sort of "armed response" team that can act swiftly to "take out" an active shooter.
Why was the "Uvalde School District Police Chief" the person in charge??
He wasn't even in "radio contact" with his men and wasn't aware that children inside the school were calling 911!!!
No different than when the "school officer" at Parkland was filmed by security cameras doing nothing while children were slautered!

Last edited:

florduh

No different than when the "school officer" at Parkland was filmed by security cameras doing nothing while children were slautered!

Columbine happened like a year before I entered High School, and I'm pushing 40 now. There were two cops in that school. Everyone knew. Didn't deter the shooters. And the cops did fuck all to stop it.

Unfortunately, police officers are under no "duty" to protect anyone, except themselves, and possibly their fellow officers.

They'll protect their fellow officers, unless that officer is a whistleblower about corruption or misconduct. Then the best case scenario is that "good apple" gets fired. Worst case, the good apple "accidentally" gets shot in the line of duty.

No one really remembers this, but a few years ago there was a big shootout on the streets of Miami. A jewelry store robber hijacked a UPS truck with the driver inside. The cops ended up killing the driver, and UPS apologized to the cops! "Sorry our employee got in the way of your bullets!"

But the craziest part was, when the cops were shooting at the truck, they cowered behind cars stuck at the intersection... with civilians inside them! I can't fucking imagine being on of those drivers. "Wait..... I'M the thin blue line protecting cops from a robber's bullets?!"

I know nothing will change as a result of the latest school shooting. All I ask is that every person who thanks cops for their "service" puts on a red clown nose first. Start with former Democrat Presidential candidate (and former cop) Amy Klobuchar. She got the first national "Kiss Cops Ass Week" bill passed in the Senate like 2 days before Uvalde.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

I have a confession to make.......

I made the above post around 9:30pm and afterwards I broke out the bubbler and some high THC Papaya Cake and then.... Got into a discussion about teachers arming themselves with the wife. Out of nowhere I started laughing/giggling and had one of those buzz induced "can't stop laughing" fits. First time in years I think.

I know this is a serious topic but many of these teachers are in their later years and remind me of Mrs. Doubtfire and when I envisioned some of these teachers armed to the teeth, with holsters and Zappata like bullet belts crisscrossing their chests I couldn't stop laughing.

I don't think arming Mrs. Doubtfire is something worth taking seriously....

There is way more serious considerations in the AR debate to worry about than expecting my daughter or Mrs. Doubtfire being asked to become Annie Oakly.

florduh

This is so stupid. Dave Weigel is one of the few good reporters left in this country.

He retweeted a joke, and quickly deleted it. The joke was sexist, but was also very funny. I'm sure if Dave offered to write one of these articles, he'd be in the clear:

z49220ljefd71.jpg

WaPoFightFor15.png

florduh

This is so stupid. Dave Weigel is one of the few good reporters left in this country.

He retweeted a joke, and quickly deleted it. The joke was sexist, but was also very funny. I'm sure if Dave offered to write one of these articles, he'd be in the clear:

z49220ljefd71.jpg

WaPoFightFor15.png

So the joke Weigel retweeted was "every woman is bi. You just need to find out if it's sexual or polar". That's what he's losing a month of pay over.

I also like how these things work. Dave immediately deletes it. Says sorry if seeing this caused anyone harm. And the response from psychos is to spread screenshots of the joke all over that cursed website to try and get him fired. I'm sorry, if seeing that joke causes "harm", why are you widely distributing it?

If there's a union at WaPo, they really shouldn't be falling for this shit. Letting management get away with this will come back and bite you in the ass.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Last edited:

florduh

This guy spent a horrific 17 days in an out of State jail because American Airlines told the cops he shoplifted. He didn't, and looked nothing like the guy who did. He's suing American but I'd say his story is an indictment of our shitty legal system as well.

florduh

"School Resource Officers" aren't just useless. They're worse than useless. They spend their time doing things like arresting a 5 year old for "assaulting a police officer" when they were having a tantrum. Or arresting a teenager for making a science project. That little volcano was basically a bomb, dontchya know.

It's a nice little way to set up a "school to prison pipeline". Lots of easy revenue for our justice system. Give kids a record. Prevent them from getting into college. Reduce their opportunities. And you can guess how much melanin the kids who generally get caught up in this have in their skin.

77carrera3

"School Resource Officers" aren't just useless. They're worse than useless. They spend their time doing things like arresting a 5 year old for "assaulting a police officer" when they were having a tantrum. Or arresting a teenager for making a science project. That little volcano was basically a bomb, dontchya know.

It's a nice little way to set up a "school to prison pipeline". Lots of easy revenue for our justice system. Give kids a record. Prevent them from getting into college. Reduce their opportunities. And you can guess how much melanin the kids who generally get caught up in this have in their skin.

Wasn't that Peterson guy at Parkland HS in FL a "Armed School Resource Officer"

florduh

Wasn't that Peterson guy at Parkland HS in FL a "Armed School Resource Officer"

Yep. And Columbine. They’re real tough when it comes to slapping cuffs on children for shit that would’ve maybe gotten you detention when I was in school though.

florduh

The Supreme Court has decided that Border Control can enter your home without a warrant and assault you without recourse. Also, fun fact. Literally every major US City is considered "on the border".

FUvl-3DUAAA-0XP

Also the entire "Free State". Why the fuck am I on there? What do I border, the Mermaid Kingdom?

Moving Independence Day GIF

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Another American protection against outrageous and often criminal police misbehavior bites the dust. Closer and closer to a fascist police state every day. The court, our only venue designed specifically to protect us, shoves another hot poker up the ass of the American people. And, as usual, Justice Thomas (an oxymoron if I've ever heard one) holds that poker in his hand.

Top Bottom