Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I’m in my late 30’s. I’ve definitely heard of Joni Mitchell and Neal Young. I’d be hard pressed to name any of their songs though. I also hate Spotify because their UI sucks.

At 28 I recognize a couple of Young's songs but on the popularity of the song, not Young himself. I kind of that a "Oh, THATs who sings that song" moment.

I also hate Spotify. I use Apple Music but I hate that too. Pandora fell off my radar in like 2012. I'm musically frustrated.

Never really got the Nickelback hate. They kinda suck but not any more than most popular music.

I never got the hate either. Everybody shits on them but I'm not sure why they get shit on more than any other popular band. They're not very good but I'd take them over a good portion of what gets passed for "music" on the radio these days

BrianTL,
Reactions: florduh

shredder

I thought the same on Nickelback. Honestly assumed they were trying to get some free publicity

Saw this joke on Young (pretty accurate tho)

People under 30 are asking: 'Who's Neal Young?'
People over 30 are asking: 'Neal's still alive?'
People over 60 are asking: 'What's Spotify?'

Nothin on Joni Mitchell, but I'm in the "who is she" category. Just looked up some of her songs and I dont recognize any of them based on the name alone. Maybe I'd recognize a popular tune if it were played

At least spell his name correctly, it's Neil Young. sheeeese!

Im a huge fan, just got a box set for xmas from one of our sons. I've seen him once with csn&y, and with crazy horse many times. Favorite song? probably down by the river, or a dozen others, lol.

Planck

believes in Dog
Young has received several Grammy and Juno Awards. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted him twice: in 1995 as a solo artist and in 1997 as a member of Buffalo Springfield.[6] In 2000, Rolling Stone named Young No. 34 on their list of the 100 greatest musical artists. According to Acclaimed Music, he is the seventh most celebrated artist in popular music history.[7]

The above snip from here

[Joni Mitchell] has received many accolades, including nine Grammy Awards and induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. Rolling Stone called her "one of the greatest songwriters ever",[2] and AllMusic has stated, "When the dust settles, Joni Mitchell may stand as the most important and influential female recording artist of the late 20th century".[3]

working with noted jazz musicians including Jaco Pastorius, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, and Pat Metheny as well as Charles Mingus, who asked her to collaborate on his final recordings.

Her 1971 album Blue is often cited as one of the best albums of all time; it was rated the 30th best album ever made in Rolling Stone's 2003 list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time",[5] rising to number 3 in the 2020 edition.[6] In 2000, The New York Times chose Blue as one of the 25 albums that represented "turning points and pinnacles in 20th-century popular music".[7] In 2017, NPR ranked Blue number 1 on a list of Greatest Albums Made By Women.[8]

Above from here

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
100 years from now, Young's music rights will have generated so much more value than a forgotten Joe Rogan. Literally 100's of millions+.

Joe's memory will be nothing more than a novelty after his death, and his podcasts will fade into internet obscurity- reminiscent of Bill O'Reilly.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
100 years from now, Young's music rights will have generated so much more value than a forgotten Joe Rogan. Literally 100's of millions+.

Joe's memory will be nothing more than a novelty after his death, and his podcasts will fade into internet obscurity- reminiscent of Bill O'Reilly.

While I'm sure your long term predictions are correct, I imagine Spotify also has to consider the potential immediate fall out of kicking Rogan off. As the NYT claims... he's too big to cancel. With the size audience he currently has (11M per episode on average), Spotify has to be figuring the riskier play is kicking him off the platform.

shredder

While I'm sure your long term predictions are correct, I imagine Spotify also has to consider the potential immediate fall out of kicking Rogan off. As the NYT claims... he's too big to cancel. With the size audience he currently has (11M per episode on average), Spotify has to be figuring the riskier play is kicking him off the platform.

Since it's widely reported to have poor sound quality, for music, it could be the go to channel for talk show fruits and nuts.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Since it's widely reported to have poor sound quality, for music, it could be the go to channel for talk show fruits and nuts.

Very well could be. I have no idea what their sound quality is like for music or talk shows.

I have a feeling the average listener doesn't care much though, taking convenience over quality. The heydays of high quality home audio equipment seem to have passed and the audiophile culture seems to be shrinking... obviously it still exists and there is a market for that stuff but as a general trend I think people aren't dropping big bucks on audio equipment like they used to. I couldn't even tell you where my nearest audio store is - and I dont count Best Buy. For most people, an iphone and blue tooth speaker is "good enough."

florduh

Spotify does suck. Though I have to wonder how many people felt morally superior for not financially supporting Spotify over Rogan are like me and have Amazon Music. Supporting a tech company whose biggest innovation was figuring out how to convert pure human misery into billions for a bald guy's dick rocket fund.

I caught 95% of JRE episodes from 2009-2020. Don't really blame people for dunking on him right now, but it is a real bummer for me personally. I honestly loved the show. It was the perfect show for dudes who like to go to the gym, and then get high and talk about aliens.

It was cool because, while I had plenty of friends, they were all kind of boring. Conversation topics were limited to work, lady problems, sports, and TV shows. Listening to JRE allowed me (and millions of other young men) the opportunity to feel like we were a part of these really interesting conversations about psychedelics, ancient civilizations, new books etc.

Stopped listening after he took the Spotify deal. Mostly because I didn't have the Spotify app. But when I dipped back in, I discovered two things. The Spotify app sucks. And my cool, bald, Jiu-jitsu black belt older brother has basically transformed into my dad. They complain about the same shit. They obviously both consume the same news sources. It makes sense, since they're about the same age. But it was sad to see.

I knew Rogan was out to lunch on the vaxx shit when I watched his episode with a biologist, and regular guest, named Rhonda Patrick. In the "Before Times", Rogan would pull out a notebook when she was on and take notes about everything she said. But the new Rogan dismissed anything she had to say about the vaxx with "well, buddy of mine got it and his dick fell off". Shit like that. He wouldn't even listen to a scientist I know he's respected for years.

So, this whole thing is a bummer for me. IMO, Rogan should stop talking about the 'vid shit. Everybody on earth knows how he feels about it at this point. More than anything, it makes for a boring show.

shredder

Very well could be. I have no idea what their sound quality is like for music or talk shows.

I have a feeling the average listener doesn't care much though, taking convenience over quality. The heydays of high quality home audio equipment seem to have passed and the audiophile culture seems to be shrinking... obviously it still exists and there is a market for that stuff but as a general trend I think people aren't dropping big bucks on audio equipment like they used to. I couldn't even tell you where my nearest audio store is - and I dont count Best Buy. For most people, an iphone and blue tooth speaker is "good enough."

I have a friend in the home entertainment business. And the business has went hi tech with whole home entertainment systems. And is thriving from what I hear, especially since covid.

I started out with an ancient (trio) Amp and (jvc) speakers from someone who bought them while in Vietnam. The Amp and later components sat on a 2x12 board sitting on two cement blocks. A bag of weed and I was all set, lol.

Razhumikin

I have a friend in the home entertainment business. And the business has went hi tech with whole home entertainment systems. And is thriving from what I hear, especially since covid.

I started out with an ancient (trio) Amp and (jvc) speakers from someone who bought them while in Vietnam. The Amp and later components sat on a 2x12 board sitting on two cement blocks. A bag of weed and I was all set, lol.
Yea there are a couple of high end audio stores in Manhattan I've walked past and they look like they do pretty brisk business. Its the kind of hobby I would love to get into, but I dont have the cash (or the space). Honestly im probably still too much of a philistine to really appreciate the differences in sound quality at that level, but a few years ago I got a decent pair of headphones for the first time after breaking multiple $30 cheapos, and it legitimately changed my life. The noise cancellation alone is worth its weight in gold when you live in NYC and have to take the subway everywhere.

florduh

Thanks, Punxsutawney Phil. But I get my weather forecast from Floriduh Felix.

c9d6c339adb7a5efaec2911c35183938.png

He says winter is gonna last 4-5 more hours. When it will be about 80 degrees in my part of the Free State.

florduh

Funny thing is, most musicians don't get more than a few pennies from Spotify. While Rogan got paid 100 mil. I have no problem with people not wanting their music associated with Spotify. That's freedom, baby.

Although, if they only want to associate with companies that "balance concern for humanity with commerce", surely they're pulling their content from Amazon, a company that literally does human sacrifice for commerce. And Apple. At the bottom of every one of Apple's supply chains is a child slave, who has to crawl into tiny crevices to mine rare earth minerals.

Also, if the goal is to limit the spread of misinformation, not sure kicking Joey off Spotify is the right move. His audience shrank significantly when his content went to Spotify. Same thing happened to Stern when he went to Sirius.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
The whole "spreading disinformation" makes me
Funny thing is, most musicians don't get more than a few pennies from Spotify. While Rogan got paid 100 mil. I have no problem with people not wanting their music associated with Spotify. That's freedom, baby.

Although, if they only want to associate with companies that "balance concern for humanity with commerce", surely they're pulling their content from Amazon, a company that literally does human sacrifice for commerce. And Apple. At the bottom of every one of Apple's supply chains is a child slave, who has to crawl into tiny crevices to mine rare earth minerals.

That’s the thing. It’s either fake outrage or just blind hypocrisy…but Spotify and Rogan are in the spotlight now so it’s the cool thing to do

Also, if the goal is to limit the spread of misinformation, not sure kicking Joey off Spotify is the right move. His audience shrank significantly when his content went to Spotify. Same thing happened to Stern when he went to Sirius.

I don’t watch more than a few random clips I come across ever since he moved to Spotify so I might be wrong in this, but from what I have seen and what I understand - he’s not “spreading disinformation” rather just sharing what’s worked for him…I also believe he encourages his listeners to be proactive with their health, work out and eat right, which seems to be also pretty effective in making sure one stays healthy. I also believe he encourages people to consult their docs because obviously, he isn’t one.

Certainly better than encouraging unhealthy habits by bribing people with free donuts for example.

Lastly censorship is all fun and games as long as you’re on the censoring side. It’s a dangerous and slippery slope to go down - censoring somebody just because you disagree with them. Sets a bad precedent for the future

Carrera3.0

Rotterdam to partly dismantle historic bridge for Jeff Bezos’s superyacht​

Bezos’s gigantic, 430-million-euro ($485m) yacht is too big for the iconic Koningshaven Bridge, which dates from 1878 and was rebuilt after being bombed by the Nazis in 1940 during the second world war. The shipyard building the three-masted mammoth in Alblasserdam, near Rotterdam, has asked the local council to remove the bridge’s central section so it can pass through.

“It’s the only route to the sea,” a spokesperson for the mayor of Rotterdam told AFP, adding that the Amazon owner would foot the bill for the operation.

The decision has angered some in the Netherlands as the local council promised after a major renovation in 2017 that it would never again dismantle the bridge, known to Rotterdammers as De Hef. The mayor’s office emphasised the economic benefits and jobs created by the construction of the boat, but promised that the bridge would be rebuilt in its current form.

florduh

Rotterdam to partly dismantle historic bridge for Jeff Bezos’s superyacht​

Bezos’s gigantic, 430-million-euro ($485m) yacht is too big for the iconic Koningshaven Bridge, which dates from 1878 and was rebuilt after being bombed by the Nazis in 1940 during the second world war. The shipyard building the three-masted mammoth in Alblasserdam, near Rotterdam, has asked the local council to remove the bridge’s central section so it can pass through.

“It’s the only route to the sea,” a spokesperson for the mayor of Rotterdam told AFP, adding that the Amazon owner would foot the bill for the operation.

The decision has angered some in the Netherlands as the local council promised after a major renovation in 2017 that it would never again dismantle the bridge, known to Rotterdammers as De Hef. The mayor’s office emphasised the economic benefits and jobs created by the construction of the boat, but promised that the bridge would be rebuilt in its current form.

200.gif

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Lastly censorship is all fun and games as long as you’re on the censoring side. It’s a dangerous and slippery slope to go down - censoring somebody just because you disagree with them. Sets a bad precedent for the future

Tired of seeing people misuse "censorhsip" and "freedom of speech" arguments about this.

First, no one is being censored and no one is suggesting censorship. Second, there is no right to freedom of speech here. Nobody has a right to a Spotify platform. If Spotify dumped Rogam today, he would still be free to express his views elsewhere, hence he would still have freedom of speech and would not be censored.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Tired of seeing people misuse "censorhsip" and "freedom of speech" arguments about this.

First, no one is being censored and no one is suggesting censorship. Second, there is no right to freedom of speech here. Nobody has a right to a Spotify platform. If Spotify dumped Rogam today, he would still be free to express his views elsewhere, hence he would still have freedom of speech and would not be censored.

Oh, I agree about the freedom of speech. I'm fully aware that doesn't apply to the Rogan/Spotify situation. The same way freedom of speech doesn't apply on FC. This isn't remotely a freedom of speech issue.

I disagree about the censorship though. By trying to strong arm a company saying, "its me or him" - that is effectively trying to censor somebody. I dont see any other way to look at it when people are trying to force companies into removing somebody from their platform because you don't like what they're saying. They're literally trying to shut him up.

Edit: Evidently, Spotify's CEO would consider it censoring

""It is important to me," Ek said, "that we don't take on the position of being content censor while also making sure that there are rules in place and consequences for those who violate them."

Last edited:
BrianTL,
Reactions: Shrike

Knewt

Oh, I agree about the freedom of speech. I'm fully aware that doesn't apply to the Rogan/Spotify situation. The same way freedom of speech doesn't apply on FC. This isn't remotely a freedom of speech issue.

I disagree about the censorship though. By trying to strong arm a company saying, "its me or him" - that is effectively trying to censor somebody. I dont see any other way to look at it when people are trying to force companies into removing somebody from their platform because you don't like what they're saying. They're literally trying to shut him up.

Edit: Evidently, Spotify's CEO would consider it censoring

""It is important to me," Ek said, "that we don't take on the position of being content censor while also making sure that there are rules in place and consequences for those who violate them."

It looks more like the CEO is trying to justify his company’s greed. Again it’s their company, they can say what is allowed and what isn’t. No one is putting a ball gag in Ronan’s mouth (although thousands would love to).

Top Bottom