• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

'Smallest reptile on earth' discovered in Madagascar

_116835073_beirut2.jpg

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Scientists Found a Way to Communicate With People Who Are Asleep And Dreaming

Scientists have identified a new phenomenon they describe as "interactive dreaming", where people experiencing deep sleep and lucid dreams are able to follow instructions, answer simple yes-or-no questions, and even solve basic mathematics problems.

As well as adding a whole new level of understanding to what happens to our brains when we're dreaming, the new study could eventually teach us how to train our dreams – to help us towards a particular goal, for example, or to treat a particular mental health problem.

macbill,
Reactions: Planck

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
This is funny cause in my 30s my Mom told me that when I was a kid and I was sleeping and my feet were out from under the blanket my Mom would hold my toe and ask me a yes or no question and I would always answer it, honestly/accurately, even if it was something I might not normally answer or might fib about. Maybe she wasn't bullshitting me after all. The expression "a mother knows" has developed new meaning... :nod:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

New Algorithm Breaks Speed Limit for Solving Linear Equations

“Linear systems are the workhorse of modern computation,” said Vempala.

The new proof finds a quicker way of solving a large class of linear systems by sidestepping one of the main techniques typically used in the process. That technique, called matrix multiplication, previously set a hard speed limit on just how quickly linear systems could be solved. It still features in the work, but in a complementary role. The authors couple it with a new approach that, in essence, is a form of trained divination.

========================================================================================================

In Mississippi, small-town bluesman keeps aging music alive

Holmes, 73, is the last Bentonia bluesman, the carrier of a dying musical and oral storytelling tradition born in this Mississippi town of less than 500 people. And now, he’s a Grammy-nominated artist, with a recent nod in the Best Traditional Blues Album category for Cypress Grove, a record he hopes will help preserve the Bentonia blues long after he’s gone.

macbill,

florduh

I've followed this guy for a while, but it's sort of nuts that he's mainstream enough now to be featured on WebMD.

"I think there's at least a 50/50 chance that most people alive today will live to 1,000 years old." - Dr. de Grey

Oh well, there goes my plan for climate change. Namely, not being around for the worst of it.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

What Will It Take for Broadway Shows to Reopen?

The current best guesses have penciled in a restart date for sometime after Labor Day, more than 18 months after theaters went dark. It’s been a long wait for an industry whose shutdown has left most arts workers stranded without wages or health insurance for months on end, scrambling for unemployment benefits or grants from organizations like The Actors Fund.

============================================================================================================

'You can't escape the smell': mouse plague grows to biblical proportions across eastern Australia

After years of drought, rural NSW and parts of Queensland enjoyed a bumper crop due to the recent wet season. But this influx of new produce and grains has led to an explosion in the mouse population. Locals say they started noticing the swarms up north in October and the wave of rodents has been spreading south ever since, growing to biblical proportions.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I laughed out loud when I saw this. I have never been through the Suez OR the Panama canal but I always thought it would be cool. Not so much on that container ship however... :rofl:

cybrguy,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Justice Department Takes Action Against COVID-19 Fraud

As of today, the Department of Justice has publicly charged 474 defendants with criminal offenses based on fraud schemes connected to the COVID-19 pandemic. These cases involve attempts to obtain over $569 million from the U.S. government and unsuspecting individuals through fraud and have been brought in 56 federal districts around the country.

===========================================================================================================
Interesting look at the 'farmers' who bring us cocaine.

I Spent a Week in the Colombian Jungle Harvesting Cocaine

I meet Aura, a formidable and untrusting Afro-Colombian woman, at the side of the main road in a sweltering 86-degree heat. I am looking for a job. I want to spend a week harvesting coca in the forest, working as a raspachín, or “scraper.”

macbill,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Researchers demonstrate first human use of high-bandwidth wireless brain-computer interface

Brain-computer interfaces (BCIs) are an emerging assistive technology, enabling people with paralysis to type on computer screens or manipulate robotic prostheses just by thinking about moving their own bodies. For years, investigational BCIs used in clinical trials have required cables to connect the sensing array in the brain to computers that decode the signals and use them to drive external devices.

Now, for the first time, BrainGate clinical trial participants with tetraplegia have demonstrated use of an intracortical wireless BCI with an external wireless transmitter.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
cybrguy,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
macbill,
Top Bottom