Induction Heater - 2020 offerings?

Mono Loco

Boy, oh boy ... these Induction Heaters are really "trending", eh!!???

I just discovered another Reddit group, one that focuses on DIY IHs. There sure are some cool builds out there! https://www.reddit.com/r/inductionheaters/

Hot-Rod-IH.jpg
R2D2-IH.jpg

Mono Loco

Found another one - in Vietnam, I think. https://www.reddit.com/user/Ladat420/

Ladat-woodies.jpg

You can probably tell by now, but I only recently discovered Reddit. There's SO much cool stuff on there ... this COVID-19 "stay@home" has gotta' pass soon - I'm becoming an on-line addict! In addition to the DIY Induction Heater group on Reddit, I also stumbled upon this one, which is moderated by RogueWaxWorks. I like his rules ... I mean rule:
1. Don't be an A$$ Hole - Pretty simple.

Here's the group: https://www.reddit.com/r/VapcapMakersSpace/

Last edited:

Mono Loco

General shape of a Flux Deluxe, no doubt. I doubt it's a clone gut-wise, though! Still, I did express a concern about cloning/piracy of Mr. C's design. I can certainly envision a reverse-engineering rip-off of all his R&D ... it just happens. Like they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Summer

Long Island, NY
This Mag Heater Compact is cool. It has adjustable heating equivalent to selecting a Fluxer with a 14 -17mm coil.

Last edited:
Summer,
Reactions: Siebter

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Just looks like a bunch of off the shelf modules pieced together: LiPo, Management Board, Charging or Voltage Indicator Board, ZVS Driver Module.

Mono Loco

Pipes, if I'm not mistaken, uses the generic off-the-shelf stuff, too, but then adds some tweaking mods to customize his module. Plus, his "dressing" of the wiring and everything else is quite tidy and impressive. Hopefully, the Alpine 2020 does a good job and doesn't just throw it all together ... heck, their enclosure is so spiffy that ... I wonder if Pipes' B.B. kit would fit in there, if an Alpine 2020's innards turn out to be inferior? But, let's not get ahead of ourselves - let's give them a chance to prove themselves once they start shipping!

Pipes' units have a long history and a solid reputation - it's hard to knock a King off the Hill!

edit: I just took a peek at the Alpine 2020's guts on the link above. Pipes should be flattered/honored ... same sort of insulation on the coil legs, same orange O-ring, same ... yup, lots of "same". They surely didn't reinvent the wheel here, but they may have put their own twist on things ... hard to tell for now. Looking forward to reviews.

Last edited:
Mono Loco,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
They found a nice extrusion that would make a nice case. No reason the Alpine 2020 shouldn't work like all the others. And there is a year warranty if it doesn't.

It is a nice arrangement for a tabletop unit you can take outside with you if needed.

Open question; what do you when the battery is worn and you can't open it up or void warranty. The battery needs access for replacement or one has to send the unit in to have it replaced for fee $n.

TommyDee,
Reactions: Summer

AcidFlashbang

For those wanting a little lesson in inductance heating and the lab project for the serious DIY; [image is linked]

What're those components that look like diodes with a tilde on the end? Also are the boxes marked 10k capacitors?

AcidFlashbang,

Mono Loco

Is it reasonable to expect the battery to last a full year, at least? If so, a replacement shouldn't be required until after the warranty is passed, right? So, opening the unit to replace its battery after a year is a moot point, regarding any warranty issues, I would say. However, what if the battery fails within the 1-yr. warranty period? Is the warranty a B.S. one that includes fine print with something like "The battery is not covered under warranty", or ... "battery, itself, has a 90-day warranty"? If THAT'S the case, what happens if the battery fails on day 95? ... would a customer be expected to pay for shipping (even one way), pay for another battery, and pay a service/handling fee? Ouch! That would leave a serious sour taste in my mouth, like battery acid! Any warranty should be "bumper-to-bumper", unless obvious abuse/mis-use is the culprit behind the failure. I'd like to think that things would be "pro-rated", somehow, at least, in a case like this ... even something like "send us the original unit and w'ell send you a brand new one with a fresh 1-yr. warranty for a 75% discount" ... or something along those lines. Shoot, it's a $99 item, not a grand ... but still!

Mono Loco,

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
What're those components that look like diodes with a tilde on the end? Also are the boxes marked 10k capacitors?

Zener Diodes, I always think of it as the letter "Z". Similarly the Schottky symbol has an "S" after the triangle. The little rectangles are resistors, the IEC / European standard uses those symbols over the US style zig zag.

Also, despite what most companies would want you to believe, at least in the US you do not void the warranty of a product by opening it up as long as you do not damage it regardless of what the warranty or any "void if opened" stickers might claim.

Last edited:

purpletweed

Is there any reason to be nervous about the LiPo batteries used in these devices? I suppose they're somewhat small.

purpletweed,
Reactions: chaos191

purpletweed

Hahaha, I'll take that as a 'no'. I think a wariness of LiPo batteries as being a less-stable alternative to lithium-ion batteries has just been instilled in me.

purpletweed,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Yep, what @maxvapor710 said. Zener diodes are unique in that they pass reverse voltage above a given voltage. They are normally used in reverse bias. In this case, the diode shunts anything over 12 volts to the gate and the parallel 10K resistor I am assuming is just a bleed circuit to also protect the gate.

Also @AcidFlashbang - The coil in the diagram is 5 turns and the capacitor note in the upper right hand corner uses some very low voltage values. As winds increase, so does impedance. Apollo 2 chose to reduce the voltage rating down to 440v on the caps from the familiar 600v. Based on these 'standards' I would question the advice of the blogger on capacitor voltage ratings. Under-rated caps are probably what prompted the 'forced air cooled' note. My caps don't get hot with normal usage.

@Mono Loco - :rofl: You sure you don't need a job? That is how my mind reviewed it but my fingers were too stoned to put it all down. Thank you. Good point on the year+ lifetime. 500 charges is a charge a day; is a lot of fucking high! And another year 'wasted' in a proper sense.

Hahaha, I'll take that as a 'no'. I think a wariness of LiPo batteries as being a less-stable alternative to lithium-ion batteries has just been instilled in me.

Oh no, not at all. LiPo is what PortSide Mini uses and the Alpine 2020 apparently. They are wonderful little power packs. Charging them requires at minimum a simple battery management system. Same with little IMR/INR li-ion cells. If they are operated within specifications, there really is no advantage to either other than user preference.

I'm doing testing with 14500 and seriously considering 18350 since I detect some tech interest there.

I've been running 3 units in an open frame context. One has a custom coil. They all operate at very reasonable temperatures. The coil gets the warmest. Wire gauge of the coil has a lot to do with temperature rise while heating the VC.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind

Then it is indeed a „no“. :-) Most IHs use LiPos and they have been proven to be safe and working well.

Ivan van Ogre

General shape of a Flux Deluxe, no doubt. I doubt it's a clone gut-wise, though! Still, I did express a concern about cloning/piracy of Mr. C's design. I can certainly envision a reverse-engineering rip-off of all his R&D ... it just happens. Like they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".
Hi Mono Loco! The funniest thing happens when I read your comments. Your avatar is that monkey, but when I am reading your comments that image is in my peripheral vision and while I'm reading your comment the image looks like Dog the Bounty Hunter for some strange reason. I'll notice it, look at the image, and there's the monkey grinning, but when I go back to reading Dog reappears! It's the damndest thing. Have a great weekend! John.

Ivan van Ogre,
Reactions: Summer

Mono Loco

@TommyDee Actually, I do need a job! The company where I worked for 16 years folded last fall. I have some heart history that puts me in the High-Risk Stay@Home Quarantine category so I'm kinda' in limbo for now. If I were to catch this damned COVID-19 and end up dying, my wife would KILL me! "I TOLD YOU not to go out yet !!!" Man, I sure wish CT would legalize my preferred medicine so that I could both ease my stress and boost my creativity!

re: Am I gonna' move this thread over? Is there a way for me to do that, other than manually Copy-n-Paste my initial opener?

@Ivan van Ogre ... yeh, I guess I can see "Dog, Bounty Hunter" in there! LOL On the new Fcombustion, a different avatar popped up from my profile ... I wonder what celebrity that one will remind you of ????

Mono Loco,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Is there any reason to be nervous about the LiPo batteries used in these devices? I suppose they're somewhat small.

LiPo chemistry is considered “safer” then many of the various Lithium types in cylinder form. The safety issue, is the LiPo pack can easily be penetrated (screwdriver-nail etc) and potentially shorted. You don’t want to do that....

RustyOldNail,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@Mono Loco - you and me both brother! I have a 'safe-zone for two' for the time being. Groceries and correspondence with kid gloves. Work is remote or postponed.

I think the thread move is just a claim and let moderators close down here to link to the new one. I think we need it in the NFC. Cool new stuff coming out soon.

TommyDee,
Top Bottom