Induction Heater - 2020 offerings?

Mono Loco

INDUCTION HEATERS ("I.H.) for DynaVaps ... what's available these days??? (April 2020)

With this COVID-19 Stay@Home order, I find myself on the internet more than ever. I'm still waiting for our new (well, not so new anymore, I suppose) Governor to fulfill his campaign promise to LEGALIZE. When he does, I'm going to get a nice I.H. I already have the ugly, but effective, Dental Heater one, and I would have bought one from Pipes ... if he offered an option of having an external momentary switch instead of "bottom of the heat chamber tactile switch". But, I'm currently not partaking (sigh...) so there's no rush for me. Until it's legal here, I am simply refreshing my old notes and looking into new offerings for future reference - there are so many nice looking option these days!

I decided to share my list from my notes here. Other than putting Pipes at his rightful place on top, the remaining order is random. I'm merely making a list, with minimal details ... no specs., reviews, or recommendations. Like all of Pipes' offerings, most use a momentary pressure switch located in the bottom of the heat chamber that is activated by inserting the vaporizer and gently pressing it down a bit. If there are any units that I missed (very likely) please add them for everyone's sake. ;-)

#1 - by "Pipes", the Godfather of them all, the original ... .
His is a time-tested, proven design with stellar support.

a) Battery Powerd model: Portside Mini (aka, "PSM") - uses a LiPO battery, ala' R.C. gear= $105

b) AC (wall plug-in) model: Cauldron (replaced his JarHead model) = $80

c) Bare Bones (B.B.) "kit" form. You buy the guts "a-la-carte" from him and make your own enclosure.
$35 Main Driver Module ... with Male connectors already on the power-lead dongles = includes the heating coil, the board, the glass tube, the switch, etc. ... all the required stuff PRE-ASSEMBLED in a tidy, compact package = NOT a bunch of loose parts! You just add either the:
$5 AC jack, ("Home Harness") with pre-attached Female connectors (and, of course, a suitable Power Brick, like the one also available form Pipes for $20), or ...
$20 Pre-wired Battery Harness, complete with BMS board all wired-up and complete with connectors in place
.... also available are AC adapters, Car Adapters, Battery Chargers .... basically, everything you'll need, in a more or less "plug-n-play" format!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) www.fluxerheaters.com = F.C. user: mr_cfromcali
He's a very busy guy, with a pretty long wait-list. His units use (3) x 18650 LiON batteries. Lots of options. His product's developmental history is good reading ... all detailed in his threads here.

- Flux Deluxe BASE = $150 (batterirs not incl.)
- Flux Deluxe STANDARD td = $175

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3) www.dynavap.com = finally, an "OEM" offering ... kinda'. DynaVap collaborated with LUCID CUSTOM to form "DynaTec". DynaTec has a model called the Apollo 2. It is currently out of stock at Dynavap.com, but is sold at retailers, too. It is an AC model, not battery, but I imagine a Battery option will follow soon. I've seen it listed for $130.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4) https://magheater.jimdofree.com/
From Germany - several modesl (both AC and battery) including some fancy adjustable heat sensoring.
- Basic “Compact” = $165

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5) www.vaphotbox.com =
- the "VHB", Vap Hot Box, ABS plastic chassis, (2) x 18650 Batts = $150
- the "VHB Micro ", small wooden cube chassis, AC powered = $180
* uses a finger-press momentary switch on the outside of the chassis, NOT the more common "at the bottom of the Heat Chamber" light-pressure tactile switch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6) https://toggengear.com
- the "Alpine 2020", aluminim chassis w/ walnut top, 1000mAh battery = $169.99
A brand new offering = not even shipping yet! pre-orders were @ $99.99

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7) (various sellers, eBay, Amazon, AliExpress) = SKJ Lab J28-3 = “dental wax heater” = $50
This bargain-priced unit is not as convenient because it requires the user to insert, hold still, wait, withdraw, reinsert, and wait some more before reaching the click. It's slower to heat than the other types, but still better than a torch and hard not to consider at its price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some Woodworkers are using Pipes' B.B. kits to make some real Eye Candy !!!
- F.C. member: phattpiggie (Phattpiggies Wood Shed - he does more than stems!)
- https://timberheaddesigns.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, there are several postings on Reddit that give good instructions and have schematics.
The one by user: beasthoss is very nice.

Cheerio, all!

Mono Loco

Discovered another one ... by Etsy seller: JojosCreationShop
- battery powered with an external finger-press momentary switch (or so it appears - sold out)
Heck, for all I know, this individual might be a F.C. member (????)

Mono Loco,

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey,
I just stumbled across another VC IH I hadn't seen before, to add to the list.
The UK based VapOven at https://vapoven.com - the heater is contained within a fairly plain wooden housing and there's both an a\c powered and a battery powered version available, which is always nice. Plus, there's a DIY kit & instructions for those wanting to have a tinker for themselves. Good on them, I say . . .

Vap-Oven-1.jpg

Vap-Oven-2.jpg

It's not a bad price for the plug-in imo, and they're currently in stock, too, according to the website.
Has anyone here already snagged one of these? I'd be intersted to hear opinions.

Cheers!

:peace:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The kit is very tempting as everything is there and convenient. Certainly worth looking at.
We'd talked about this one briefly when it came up on eBay.

I noticed the momentary switch so they are using the switch in the bottom of the coil.

TommyDee,

Mono Loco

Pretty cool. I see the VapOven folks have a neat schematic, or wiring diagram. I R-clicked and Saved it in my own I.H. folder on my PC for reference. It's LED is wired directly to the Main board, whereas another schematic I have puts the LED on the Mosfet board, jumping GND/Trigger (gate). Not understanding such things, I'ma gonna' have to ponder this some.

Mono Loco,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You can connect an LED anywhere in the circuit you want to sense being energized. There is a little balance to play with voltage and current but generally a very forgiving circuit.
There's a bit & pieces thread for IH if you'd like to explore some things and not derail this thread if you like.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapcap-diy-induction-heating-bits-n-pieces.33216/page-14#
Its pretty much on the forefront of my current works to keep busy. You know - 'experimenting'

Mono Loco

thanks. I known I'll have to build one some day. Pipes' kit is so nice and tidy, but, dang it, like you, I just don't care for the pressure switch in the bottom of the heat chamber. Yes, it's cool and convenient, but ... you still have to hold the DynaVap down, so why not just plop it in there and press a button on the top of the chassis instead (and not have to worry about cap issues) ? The parts are so cheap, and small enough to be cheap to ship locally, that I know a USA-complied D.I.Y. kit, with clear instructions and a remote momentary switch, can be sold for under $50 and still make some profit for the seller (especially when parts are bought in volume). I see this happening (maybe by you?)!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I hope not. But I will have some extra bits at some point. I thought about the switch thing and find one comfort - you can wire another switch in parallel with the coil-switch. That makes it an "either-or [-or-]" function.

What are your other preferences in an IH?

Mono Loco

Well ... I don't have a lot of faith in cheap components, so I'd like them to be easily serviceable (replaceable) by then end-user. For an AC desktop model, I'd like to see more than one topside magnet, for when a buddy and I might be enjoying it together. I like the idea of being able to use rechargeable USB Battery Banks for power ... even if it's only good for a just few heat-ups ... as a "back-up". I like a main on/off switch (kill switch) so that the unit can remain plugged-in but rendered inoperative should "by some fluke accident" something metallic fall into the heating chamber and "by some other fluke", my cat happens to stand on the momentary switch ... LOL, this is the way my wife thinks ... she makes me unplug the toaster when not using it! Actually, I suppose a nice cap (or plug) for the chamber wouldn't be a bad idea ... it could have a de-bowler spike on its underside, for a dual-purpose ... sure, I can see that! Oh, I have lots of ideas ... probably have a lot more when I start partaking again!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Very interested to hear them all. I like your desktop session master already. Join us in the other thread and see what you can cook up with your ideas. Ideas are still free I think. :uhoh:

TommyDee,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I know that I have zero interest in an IH that doesn't have the pressure switch. I've never had a cap issue because of mine either. I shouldn't have to use two hands to heat this thing with an IH.

Now, instead of a pressure switch, you could have a sensor that turns the heater on when it senses that the cap has been inserted. That would satisfy both our preferences.

fatbiker

So I heard. Got one on order :rockon:

I have considered ordering one as well. What made you pull the trigger? I am unsure of SourceVapes. Any info or experiences with them? For the price, it seems to be a nice portable unit.

fatbiker,

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@fatbiker Source Vapes is a previously failed brand that went out of business around June of last year and from what I have heard burned a bunch of people on undelivered product.

I believe Randall from FocusV is now the one behind the brand.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I have considered ordering one as well. What made you pull the trigger? I am unsure of SourceVapes. Any info or experiences with them? For the price, it seems to be a nice portable unit.
I was attracted to the style. I certainly don't need one but the price was worth getting a good look at it. Free shipping was a bonus. No PayPal always bugs me but hey, this is life with drop-shipping middle men. In this case, it is the only outlet for now. Again, I am not expecting anything novel, just finished.

@all - I like @mr_cfromcali 's new device. Indeed, that is where I wanted to see things go for an IH. The extra activation button is a huge deal to me as well. Thank you Mr C!

I know that I have zero interest in an IH that doesn't have the pressure switch. I've never had a cap issue because of mine either. I shouldn't have to use two hands to heat this thing with an IH.

Now, instead of a pressure switch, you could have a sensor that turns the heater on when it senses that the cap has been inserted. That would satisfy both our preferences.

I agree that a light curtain or inductive sensing could easily detect insertion. Just not something people have worked out in this realm.

Having a button available doesn't necessarily mean two hands. I put the VC in the 'cup' and push the button. The stem may already be in my mouth at this juncture and modulating the button allows me to tune the heat. An insertion detector would detract from that option.

I do agree that an IH should be manageable with one hand unlike torches that requires a higher level of concentration. For my use case, a single manual button to activate the device other than pressing with the VC is a requirement. I'll be adding it to the Alpine 2020 too.

Last edited:

Mono Loco

Two hands? I don't see that (?).
You plop the DynaVap into the chamber and let it be ... then, you press the moment switch until the "click". Then you release the momentary switch and then snag the DV. You're still only using one hand, but you're just pressing an external switch directly instead pushing the DV into an internal switch. What am I missing?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The way the Flix is being sold without the brick, the idea of variable power IH just became real :rockon: Any marketing thoughts in that direction @mr_cfromcali ?

49732424096_810d5ff2a7_z.jpg

...oh and if you require a beta tester, I have a couple of openings available :rolleyes:

Hmmm... Maybe down to 10.5 volts. Mr C. replied there is a relay in the circuit that requires a minimal voltage to actuate.
Oh well, good thought anyway.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind

As others have mentioned, a momentary switch doesn't need two hands. I used to own a PSM with a tactile switch and *heavily* prefer the momentary switch, much more comfortable to work with. And I have actually seen others fucking their caps up with tactile switches (not sure how, but it's an issue for some).

(Timer 0:40, „Autocruise“).

Siebter,
Top Bottom