Illinois Medical Marijuana Vote Looming

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
This is the 3rd (or possibly the 4th...I've lost count) time in about 5 years that a medical marijuana bill will come up for a vote in the Illinois Legislature. It looks like the present bill, Illinois HB 1, may come up for a vote within the next week. Illinois Governor Quinn has previously stated that he would sign a medical marijuana bill. If it passes, it would be the strictest medical marijuana law in the nation. I have Crohn's Disease and since it's specifically mentioned in the bill, I've been watching the progress of this bill with particular interest. :cool:

Once again, the media have been reporting that the bill is likely to pass "this time." I'm not so optimistic. The bill's chief sponsor, Rep. Lou Lang, has fought valiantly for the bill's passage. Every time the bill has previously come up for a vote, he was assured by those on the fence that they would vote for the bill and that it would have enough votes for passage. And every time, "Lucy" pulled the football out from under "Charlie Brown" at the last minute. The one ray of hope are the results of the 2012 elections in Illinois. Theoretically, this group should be more favorable to such a bill. Keep your fingers crossed. :nod:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Sending good vibes your way . . . :) Hopefully the legislation won't be too restrictive, the control aspect has seen different results around the nation with each state having its own "flavor".

Is it a real conservative state Illinois?
Not necessarily conservative (Obamaland!), but very federal vibe. Land of Lincoln after all. Not a "Don't tread on me" state.

Edit: Really three states in one, which makes it even more of an indicator. Here are the general flavors (from what I gather): Chicago - liberal, midstate - moderately conservative, downstate - southern-style conservative (except East St. Louis, which is democrat).

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Not necessarily conservative (Obamaland!), but very federal vibe. Land of Lincoln after all. Not a "Don't tread on me" state.

Edit: Really three states in one, which makes it even more of an indicator. Here are the general flavors (from what I gather): Chicago - liberal, midstate - moderately conservative, downstate - southern-style conservative (except East St. Louis, which is democrat).
You hit it right on the head, Kelper. The present Illinois medical marijuana bill is widely regarded as a future "model" for other states. That's not only because it's very restrictive, but, I must admit, also VERY well thought out. The details in the bill leave no room for doubt about what is and isn't permissible on BOTH sides of the equation.

Kelper's assessment of Illinois' political demography is quite accurate. If medical marijuana passes in Illinois, the floodgates will open. There's a reason for the famous proverb: "If it plays in Peoria, it will play anywhere."

Speaking of liberal vs conservative, I actually think there would be more chance of full legalization under a republican admin. Certain powerful elements of the democratic establishment rely too much on the greenstuff black market for "extra income." Likewise for certain repubs and the white stuff. Notice how there's increased activity around one vs the other under respective regimes? Aligns with the stereotypical profile of the substances - lefty weed vs right-is-right stockbroker yayo. Just count yourself lucky to get medical marijuana legalized. The rest decriminalized would suit me. I really don't expect to be picking up a loaf of wondergrass with my beer anytime soon. Probably better off with the black market anyway - beats corporate America and your local bureaucratic nightmare getting all hot and bothered.

Edit: Not that there aren't both good corporations and bureaucrats, but I'm just cynical that things would go south. And of course I'm speaking in generalities about the dems and repubs, plus it's my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it :spidey:

kelper,
Reactions: Crohnie

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I haven't read the Bill but by the description it is the sort of thing that has made me opposed to medical marijuana. That road is a trap for everyone including the patients it is supposedly helping. It will lead to oppression of recreational users, harsher penalties for unapproved growers (if any are allowed at all), strict control over sources, patents for strains, handing the keys over to Big Pharma, and probably more if I think about it a bit. I oppose all of those things.

I maintain that we don't want medical cannabis, we want prohibition completely removed. Medical is actually a stricter regime than the abomination we have now.

I maintain that we don't want medical cannabis, we want prohibition completely removed. Medical is actually a stricter regime than the abomination we have now.
If it could truly be completely removed I would agree with you. But I don't think that will happen, so the less meddling the better. I have reservations about medical too, but the last thing a truly sick person probably wants to deal with is finding a dealer, if they're not already setup. So I do feel for them and their situation (though no good deed goes unpunished).

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
If it could truly be completely removed I would agree with you. But I don't think that will happen, so the less meddling the better. I have reservations about medical too, but the last thing a truly sick person probably wants to deal with is finding a dealer, if they're not already setup. So I do feel for them and their situation (though no good deed goes unpunished).

Make no mistake I have complete sympathy for those who need cannabis for medical reasons. My point is that MMJ is not less meddling, it's more. For example, here in Canada they're removing the right to grow or designate a grower. People with long established reliable sources are being screwed over. They can't grow their own anymore, they're limited to a small number of government-approved sources, and they have to accept whatever price is forced on them.

Make no mistake I have complete sympathy for those who need cannabis for medical reasons. My point is that MMJ is not less meddling, it's more. For example, here in Canada they're removing the right to grow or designate a grower. People with long established reliable sources are being screwed over. They can't grow their own anymore, they're limited to a small number of government-approved sources, and they have to accept whatever price is forced on them.
I'm saying that the way they would probably legalize for recreational use would bring more meddling. I know MMJ brings it, but I guess I'm willing to suffer that for the sake of those really in need.

Of course the ultimate meddling is if you get busted and your life goes upside down, so I am for overall decriminalization (to a slap-on-the-wrist level).

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I'm a medical patient and I thank the universe for the system BUT that system also shut down my only dispensary and jailed my friends for no reason. Formal charges were never filed and property and medicine were seized and destroyed without due process. The current situation in Canada is a good example of how systems of control, once in place, no matter how good the intent, can be turned against the innocent. Prohibition doesn't work and has now created a super class of criminals, the "Cartel" that are more well financed and armed than most countries in the world. The bankers wash their $$ through the system with near impunity as well. Who exactly is prohibition supposed to protect and what kind of people are filling the prison industrial complex because of it? If you are worried about the kids, and who isn't, its proven that delayed initiation and education/prevention are the way to go.

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Personally, I would rather see the total repeal of cannabis prohibition as opposed to a patchwork of state medical marijuana laws. Nationally, however, that's not likely to happen any time soon. My main concern is not being thrown in jail in the state of Illinois for using herb to help treat my Crohn's Disease. The Illinois bill is far from ideal, but it's a foot in the door towards legalization. We've seen this model work in Colorado and Washington. :spliff:

I feel you Pakalolo, but realistically, this is the only way that has seemed to work. One by one, more states will approve medical usage, then legalization. Finally, the Federal government will be forced to give in when they no longer have the resources to enforce federal policy. It won't happen soon, but it WILL happen. :nod:

Crohnie,
Reactions: t-dub

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I'm torn on this too. Cannabis laws are absurd as is, so anything that allows medical patients (even if only for a handful of conditions) to have safe access, is a great milestone.

If it forces medical users for conditions that aren't covered by this narrow bill, recreational users, and med./rec. users, to fall into a deeper level of fuckery in the form of our penal code, then this would be a horrible milestone.

At one point, I thought any advance in law reform was a positive step. Anything to keep the momentum up. I see the medical route being used as a delay tactic by the govt. now. As more and more states adopt a medical policy, the longer they will be able to dance around the issue. I can't support anything that results in stiffer penalties for anyone involved with cannabis.

If we keep the pressure on, I'm hoping (aren't we all?) that we have at least federal decrim in a reasonable amount of time. We have two states that leagalized, and the feds are still trying to formulate a policy. I think that is a good sign. Maybe gauging public opinion first? By the time IL catches up with a medical policy, it will probably be too late anyway.

http://norml.org/news/2013/04/11/pew-poll-majority-of-americans-say-marijuana-should-be-legal

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/respect-state-marijuana-laws-act_n_3070501.html

Sorry for the rant, but still a class 1 and people being arrested? Truly disgusting.

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
I haven't read the Bill but by the description it is the sort of thing that has made me opposed to medical marijuana. That road is a trap for everyone including the patients it is supposedly helping. It will lead to oppression of recreational users, harsher penalties for unapproved growers (if any are allowed at all), strict control over sources, patents for strains, handing the keys over to Big Pharma, and probably more if I think about it a bit. I oppose all of those things.

To add a little more to that list of negatives: having to expose yourself. They get all your personal information and can use that as they please.

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
A vote on Illinois' Medical Marijuana Bill is expected today (April 17) in the Illinois House of Representatives. As I've said before, I'm not optimistic since previous versions of the bill have failed to pass at least 3 times. If it does pass the House, it moves on to the Senate, which is expected to be a much lighter lift than the House vote. Illinois Governor Quinn is favorable towards the bill and if passed, it would take effect in 2014. In its present form, HB 1 is by FAR the strictest Medical Marijuana bill in the country. The bill is far from perfect, but I'm trying to tell myself not to "let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Keep your fingers, toes, and whatever other appendages that you can, crossed!

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
I'm watching the live coverage of the Illinois House. HB 1 is now up for debate and a vote as I'm typing this. So freakin anxious! This is only the first hurdle, but the next two will be a MUCH easier lift. The Illinois Senate has a very good chance of passing the bill and Illinois Governor Quinn announced 15 minutes ago that he's "open minded" about signing it. Staffers of the Governor were involved in the drafting of the bill so....he supports it. Keep those fingers, toes, and whatever else crossed!

EDIT: The Illinois Senate already passed a previous, much less restrictive bill. Not sure if they need to vote on this one too. :shrug:

Top Bottom