• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Hotbox Vape

aquaparot

I friend of mine is selling his Hotbox for 100 dollars, and as I live in a dorm in college I think it would be perfect because of how low-key it is... One thing that I'm confused about is whether or not its hands-free, by that I mean do you just stick the whip onto the heating element or do you need to use two hands to wave it over the heating element.

Also if anyone owns one of these, please tell me how you like it :)

aquaparot,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I'm pretty sure the hotbox vapes use the 2 piece wand - same as my vapor daddy and its handfree in that the glass bowl end goes over the heating rod without haing to hold it there.

I think handsfree is a bit of a stupid term though coz you still hold the whip end with one hand so no wand is really handfree ;)

vaporcloud,

youdontknowme

my VB was the best investment I made my freshman year, esp. if you go to school where the weather is shitty. vape + dorm = massive win

youdontknowme,

aquaparot

youdontknowme said:
my VB was the best investment I made my freshman year, esp. if you go to school where the weather is shitty. vape + dorm = massive win
i was thinking as much :D

aquaparot,

max

Out to lunch
The Hotbox uses either standard or hands free. It also gets hot on the outside, and I've heard complaints that it can overcook. Personally, I'd spend another $20 and get a new Vaporcannon with a 5 yr. warranty.

IMO a better choice for a dorm room would be the Purple-Days. More stealth with the diffuser cup. No whip to hide or explain, and it's always ready to go.

max,

Beezleb

I would add to the purple days recommendation for the dorm the aspect of durability. Im not sure the hotbox and vapor cannon are so comparable and the vapor cannon loses some stealth aspect I would imagine.

The hotbox would be ok, but I agree that purple days would be perfect and worth the extra for a dorm where sharing would be common.

Beezleb,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I reckon those hotbox vapes are quite stealth becuase they have no dials and are just a ... box :D But whips are far from stealth.

Shit I was loading a whip only yesterday and my 6yo daughter comes burting into my little vapor sanctum. :uhoh: She normally knocks but not this time! I spun around in an attempt to hide the whip and sprayed Spice Gold all over the bench top. :rolleyes: If I had of been loading a PD tube it would have been much easier to hide ... and if I lost a PD bowl full of herbs ... so the fuck what :)

vaporcloud,

bongoman

Kids & weed - it's a little tricky isn't it VC? I've got a 6yo and a 3yo, both boys.

I don't consume in the open.

Havn't quite got to the stage of getting this book for them :)

bongoman,
Reactions: ataxian

blazin

im looking for a good vaporizer not to expensive no more than 200 everywhere i look or call they recomend the hot box because it has no temp control and they say the 2 piece wand is easy to use but my question is does it give big hits im a bong smoker tryin to start vapin i tryed a bc it tottaly sucked so if someone could let me know thnx

blazin,

spyder

I think you need a temp control...so I would say DaBuddha

Check out eBay... I grabbed one off there as my traveling unit (bring to someone house) so I don't have to pack up my SSV

I think I paid $130 shipped about a month ago

spyder,

blazin

what do u mena the hot box takes standard and hands free gotvape said they were two different modles if the hot box can use standard and hands free thats a big advantage i think

blazin,

max

Out to lunch
blazin said:
what do u mena the hot box takes standard and hands free gotvape said they were two different modles if the hot box can use standard and hands free thats a big advantage i think
I believe all Hot Box units come hands free now. I don't know of any vape that works hands free or standard without a change of hardware. It's not like there's a switch you can flip to turn 'hands free' on and off. You either buy the ground glass connection (usually costs more) for hands free, or the standard. A few, like the DBV and Vapolution, are hands free only (the Vapo due to its top loading design).

max,

Hotboxvapebongin

I own a hot box and I really like it! I have a GonG adapter for my bong and it really does produce some thick and tasty vapor. Very consistent vape because the temperature stays the same for optimal vaping. If I were to get anything different though it would be the VHW for sure.

Hotboxvapebongin,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Perhaps they're different now, but my first vape was a HB, and I constantly burned herb, as it does require some finesse. I found that as I got more stoned, the more careless I became and the more I burned herb.

I have a Variac, which allows voltage regulation. I wonder if I could dial it down? Hmmmm. I don't know beans about electricity.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I've gone back to the HB, and I found that I am better at controlling it. I am a Bozo, so I'm going to have to say, at least for me, the HB was not a good first-time vape. It does work, though, it just requires some skill. YMMV

Hareste

Hi everyone, i am new to the forums i've been smoking for about 4 or 5 years now and i am thinking about investing in a vaporizer a personal friend of mine recommended the hotbox as i am not looking to spend a large amount of money and 150 dollars is around my budget maybe a little more can anyone tell me if this is worth my investment i've read mixed reviews since i have been reading up on it.

Hareste,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Better to go with a whip vaporizer with a temp control on it rather then the hotbox which has no variable temp, this vape seems to be hit and miss with a lot of people.

$150 you have most options avaliable to you.

Look at the:

-Vaporbrothers
-Vaporwarez Vaporcannon
-Da Buddha

You can also look at some of the cheaper portables to get a feel for vaporizing such as the Vaporgenie or Magic Flight Launch Box.

There's always the option of getting on the Purple Days wait list too in that pricerange.

Chubba,

Ash

vaporist
I've not read much in support of the hot box. Seems to have a very steep learning curve and the shell/casing of the vape gets VERY hot. From what I've read here (I don't own either), for $150 you would do better with a DaBuddha (DBV) or a VaporBrothers (VB):2c:. Or, for that price you could also get a MyrtleZap (MZ), but that is a very different type of vape. I'd suggest reading through a few of the product-specific threads here. Lots of good info to help you choose.

I ended up picking the Purple Days, and am patiently enduring the wait-list. After lots of reading on these pages, that just seemed to be the vape that best matched my lifestyle. No big parties anymore, just me and my lady enjoying some quiet evenings at home.

Ash,

Soaper

I own/have owned several whip style vaporizers (Vapezilla, SSV, Vapor Brothers, Easy Vape and Hot Box). So I have some background I can give.

Personally, I like my Hot Box. BUT, I think the reason I like it is because of the type of vaporist I am (style of drawing and use), NOT because I think it is a better vaporizer than any others I have - it's different in a way that works for me. I firmly believe in this site's slogan "there is no 'best' vape". But I can give you some basic differences that I have noted that might help you decide if it would work for you based on how you think you will use it.

External Heat - the outside of the HB gets HOT - very hot. I haven't found this to be an issue myself because I sit down to use it and then turn it off/unplug it. It does cool down quickly. While in use, I do not leave it unattended, nor does the manufacturer recommend that (based on a comment in an email I got from them about their aromatherapy bowl). It sits on a 6x6 tile I bought at Home Depot for $.88 and it isn't an issue. However, it you think it could be left on or would want to leave it on in between uses, then it wouldn't be a good choice for you.

The VB gets hot on the top of the unit after about 15 minutes, but not too hot to handle. The rest of the unit stays cool to the touch. I have left it on all day, putting the aromatherapy bowl on between uses and it didn't get hot beyond the top and that wasn't very hot at all.

The SSV stays cool. I have left it on for more than 24 hours and it was not much more than mildly warm to the touch - and that was only in the top inch or so of the unit, the rest of it was completely cool. I have the least heat concerns with the SSV.

Learning Curve: One of the reasons I really like the HB is because, for me, there was no learning curve. I am someone who breaths/draws quickly while vaporizing. It is my default. The speed at which I draw has been a negative issue with other vapes because I have to continually tell myself to slow down or I don't get vapor (can be frustrating) , but my style of hitting appears to be more of a benefit to the use of the HB - I always get vapor, with just how I normally draw. On the other hand - the HB is a set temperature vape, so all heat control is done solely by drawing speed. If you go too slow you will burn your load - every time - black! Not fun! I have read reviews where this is a big learning curve for some - They have to learn to draw more quickly and spend a week or so burning things before they get it down. That's a big drawback for some.

The only learning curve on my VB was finding the spot on the dial that worked. It was pretty much connect and go once I found it. And I think it was what was recommended on their website. I can get vapor from the VB drawing slow or drawing fast. I have darkly-browned some herb with the VB, but I personally have never burned anything in it. I have read it can easily be done though.

I had the most learning curve with the SSV. It doesn't seem to like the fast draw and if I don't pay attention, I'll default to my quick speed and not have luck with the SSV. While there are many, many things I like about the SSV, on days when I am not in the mood or are rushed, I find the SSV to be aggravating. For me, it has been the most "finicky" when it comes to technique. I have read many reviews though where that is not the case at all - that for the person there is little or no learning curve. Go figure.

Taste: Each unit produces good tasting vapor, but of the three, the order in which I think they produce cleaner tasting vapor are: 1st) SSV, 2) HB, 3) VB.

Amount of herb: All of the units will produce vapor with small amount (PD size), however, I have found their production of hits and vapor on those amounts to be best in the following order: 1) HB, 2) SSV, 3) VB. I should also note that I have had more luck getting vapor out of low grade weed with the HB than I have with the other two.

Angle of heating unit: the VB goes up and that is kind of a pain. Herb can fall on the heating unit. I have read many people get over the angle thing by putting something under the end to level it or turning it on its side. I use the screen sandwich method, so I've adapted, but the angle goes in the minus column for me. The SSV is a down angle. It is easy to use and you don't have herb falling on the heater, it is a good design and a plus. The HB is basically level, so you don't have green falling on the heater an it is easy to use - a plus side too.

Aromatherapy: I don't have the top for the SSV yet, just ordered it this last weekend, so I don't know on that. The VB came with a great bulb and it does a good job of diffusing scents. I bought the basic HB so I had to pay an additional $25 for the aromatherapy bulb for it and it is not a good diffuser! If you overfill it, it will boil and spit. I don't use it for scent diffusing!! I do however use it for stealth purposes and it works really well for that.

Price: I got a great deal on my SSV at a local head shop and I've bought additional glass for it, so I've got about $240 into it with the upgrades. I bought the coffee colored VB which was $169. I bought the HB off ebay on a "make an offer" where the dealer accepted a $115 offer and I then spent another $25 on the bulb.

I like them all and I use them all at different times and when I'm in different moods. And I would recommend them all depending on what that person is looking for. I think they all have positives and all have negatives. I think you should think about those and how you are going to vape and them make a decision.

Ash

vaporist
Soaper, why do you think the hotbox does so well with small amounts? Is the bowl smaller than on the other vapes? I've always thought the HB to be overpriced, but based on your eloquent defense, along with theprice you paid, I'm reconidering. Maybe not for me, but could be perfect for someone else. It does seem to be one of the few (only?) whip-vapes you can just leave out on a shelf without drawing lots of attention.

Ash,

B.

War Criminal
Soaper said:
the HB is a set temperature vape, so all heat control is done solely by drawing speed. If you go too slow you will burn your load - every time - black! Not fun! I have read reviews where this is a big learning curve for some - They have to learn to draw more quickly and spend a week or so burning things before they get it down.
Bad news, thats a dealbreaker for me. Anyone know what temp the HB is set to?

Go with the Da Buddha. Start with the vape set very low, take some hits, then turn it up some and repeat. You'll figure it out, and have some fun doin it.

B.,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
I'm no expert but I live in the area where the Vapor Bros. live and I have run into a lot of people who swear by it. I asked if the angle of the thing caused a problem with herb falling down in and it seems that the people I asked did not have a problem with this. I also wondered, when I heard about this problem, Wouldn't it be easy enough just to put something under it to make it sit at an angle so that when you put the herb in, it's NOT at an angle? Apparently you can do that.

So from what people are saying, I'd get a VB over a Hot Box. But the DB or SSV might be an even better choice. I just wanted to report that my casual survey of Vapor Bros users seems to indicate that most people do like it.

MoeOnTheMoon,
Top Bottom