Hot sauce talk

CANtalk

Thought I'd post a hot sauce talk thread to discuss all things hot sauce. I'm a spicy food and hot sauce fan, who else is? I look forward to talk of what hot sauces/peppers members here have, like and what is currently being enjoyed. Lots of internet bottle options, plus all the home growers and homemade recipes.

Since I just posted this elsewhere on FC, I'll start by mentioning Da Bomb - Beyond Insanity hot sauce. I initially picked it up because it was an upper heat bottle usually seen on Hot Ones, the YouTube (YT) "hot wings with even hotter questions" series which interviews celebrities and is pretty viral now. I hadn't checked this sauce in much detail when I first bought, and upon recent research it turns out to be a killer :evil:. The Scoville Heat Units (SHU) @135,000 are not showing the crazy heat from the pepper extract in this sauce (people have found this sauce hotter than a number of others in the 1-3M SHU range. Many many Hot Ones shows and celebrities later, there's highlight reels, bits on The Tonight Show and Late Night, etc. And there are sooo many YouTube videos and short entertaining video clips out there from people trying Da Bomb - Beyond Insanity, here's a bunch of my favorite that stood out from hundreds, enjoy 👍.

Highlights of Da Bomb - Beyond Insanity on Hot Ones on YT, with various personalities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN7_k_f8sQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLZBqWIwibU

There is some overlap/repetition in the above Hot Ones video links, fwiw.

Some YT videos from the public, much lol at the first two links.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMch0WGH40M
https://youtu.be/dlaVJME6orw?t=681
https://youtu.be/19AiVMZ5v9k?t=417
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbTqFHJOo7g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiWJBnTki3s
https://youtu.be/KZ4UjAyxUyk?t=180
https://youtu.be/UT4Is1ZNa7w?t=731
https://youtu.be/rFa7Mf3surA?t=314

Who else here knows about the Hot Ones YT interviews? Who else here is enjoying hot sauce and what is it?

Have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

Meditation

This guy had me crying at his braveness/stupidity.

I love a bit of heat and have done stooopid things to myself and others who were also stooopid! I brought a product called Kissed by the Devil at a chilli festival one year, which was ghost chilli extract in a spray bottle! Yep fucking pepper spray. I had a blocked nose and sore throat and thought it would be to good to clear said nose and throat using the spray...i stupidly sprayed it from about 6 inches away from my face :doh: it cleared the nose and throat for sure but it felt like it also melted my fucking eye balls! I was doubled over the sink for about an hour where my eyes nose and mouth were streaming fluids! I felt silly but took it to work where 3 other idiots did exactly the same despite my warnings! My wife now carries it in her handbag for protection!

At the same job we used to have chilli eating contests whenever a new hottest chilli was touted, there was always crying involved! We played a game called chilli roulette where we would take the plastic cups from our water station rub a few rims with chilli then mix them up and put them back. Everyone in our department knew what was going on and either played the game or used there own cup. All well and good until one day a manager from a different department used our water station...yep he got a chilli cup! He thought we were under a terrorist attack and that they had spiked the water (our water stations were plumbed in on the mains and filtered) luckily enough he saw the funny side and did nothing about it but we weren’t allowed to play that game anymore!

I’ve been thinking of getting the One chip challenge, the world’s hottest chip but haven’t seen it cheaper than $40 which for one chip seems rather steep, so haven’t yet!
I have a sauce that is called 10 minute burn which is a lie because it burns for at least hour but is nice. Also any sauce made from Scotch Bonnets is a winner for me because the Bonnets have a lovely flavour but also pack a punch. Not a sauce but I recently picked up some pineapple and habernero salsa which is really nice on tacos...in fact it’s so bloody good I’m having tacos for lunch!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm a chili head but I'm not after insane heat. I prefer being able to enjoy the taste longer over the course of the meal. I tested hundreds of chili products of all kinds and variety over the years, I kinda collect them.

Most products I don't return to, but I have a few favorites of mine and notably the Melinda's range. They have no artificial stuff, are not loaded with sugar or other crap, their vinegar tastes good and is not overly present. Mostly fruity / floral habanero goodness.

I also have access to a Mauritius grocery store and their artisanal sauces are wonderful and it's a culture that enjoys really strong peppers. Stuff like habanero + mango purees or habanero + lemon. So yummy!

CANtalk

Nice to see fellow spice fans 👍. By all means share your hot sauce,, hot pepper, spicy food feedback and more here any time!

Here's a not-so-crazy hot sauce to consider, Yellowbird habanero; they call it a condiment instead of a hot sauce (and it's made in Texas). Use it wherever you would consider adding a condiment or hot sauce.

This Yellowbird sauce is habanero hot (in the ~30-50K Scoville heat unit range... similar heat range to many bottled MX and Caribbean habanero hot sauces, tending strong even). And with lots of ingredients that make it super flavorful, bringing big sweet and tangy components. They have other milder hot sauces as well, and this habanero one started it all.

HH476.jpg

Definitely recommended and not very hard to find.

The Yellowbird hot sauce condiment brand has generated lots of fans and press, including national recognition.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=yellowbird+habanero+sauce&source=lnms&tbm=nws

Sriracha on spring rolls 😋 is a guilty pleasure
Nice. Sambal Oelek is a nice option as well, not as puréed. Widely available and inexpensive.

Thx for sharing @Meditation! I've seen the one chip challenge but have avoided it so far. One can buy a lot of hot sauce for the cost of that chip challenge. I really enjoy scotch bonnet peppers as well... and they were my first successful hot pepper plant grow recently. I find scotch bonnet and habanero peppers / hot sauces the best tasting out there (well known citrus components), and I'll mix hot sauces and peppers into salsas, etc. Mmmm.

I'm a chili head but I'm not after insane heat. I prefer being able to enjoy the taste longer over the course of the meal. I tested hundreds of chili products of all kinds and variety over the years, I kinda collect them.

Most products I don't return to, but I have a few favorites of mine and notably the Melinda's range. They have no artificial stuff, are not loaded with sugar or other crap, their vinegar tastes good and is not overly present. Mostly fruity / floral habanero goodness.

I also have access to a Mauritius grocery store and their artisanal sauces are wonderful and it's a culture that enjoys really strong peppers. Stuff like habanero + mango purees or habanero + lemon. So yummy!
Sounds great! Post up what you try and what you enjoy as you get to products; I'd be interested for sure. I'm not very into monster spicy hot stuff either, like extract sauces, etc., but I've tried one extract sauce and have another to try sometime (that Da Bomb Beyond Insanity). My hot sauce hobby waxes and wanes over the years and years... I'm currently pretty involved again. I have some Melinda's products, very good! Their ketchups rock.

I try to keep a few favorite sauce around as well as try new stuff. I have a lot of hot sauces now, so no more buying for a year or two (maybe...).

I like hot chilli sauce but in my opinion it should not overpower the other flavours up to the point that all you tast is hot, hot and more hot.

I make my own indonesian or surinam sambals. My favorite is probably Sambal Bajak.
Nice and sounds great. I like a variety of heat levels, but only stray into the ghost, scorpion, carolina reaper, etc heat levels a bit compared to spending most of my time in jalapeno/chipotle, habanero/scotch bonnet pepper range. I find my own tolerance to spicy food is very dependent on how much spicy stuff I'm having. How does Sambal bajak compare to Sambal oelek?
A standard here as well. Sometimes called "Zack Lee" sauce. ;)
How about Sambal oelek?

Cheers everyone, share your hot sauce/pepper and food enjoyment here.

Last edited:

daoist

Madamme jeanette is as hot as i go. they are from surinam and look like a mini bell-pepper.
One time i was making my sambal with these fuckers in it. And then i had to go to the toilet.
I even washed my hands "before" i went to the toilet, but after that my genitals were on fire for the next two hours.

I am not going to make that mistake again i can tell you that.

Buzzbomb Almighty

In the market in Oaxaca in 1975 I bought a red chili, maybe 6" long. When I cut into it with a knife a vapor came off it that immediately raised blisters on my lips and eyelids. A piece 1/2" square was sufficient to flavour a pan of fish and rice, and I never chewed my fingernails again.

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
I really hated spicy foods as a kid. And as an adult.
This changed when I had a chance to eat at a good burger house. They had an assortment of spicy sauces on the table and tasting them it finally clicked. I love the acidic spiciness of pepper sauces. I currently have a green, red, and spicy Tabasco and a Sriracha.
I also discovered how well Tabasco & mayo (Heinz preferably) goes with french fries *chef's kiss*.

Can't wait to try more! (though they're a little hard to find here in Greece)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Got turned on to Melinda's thru Bread&Circus/Whole Foods back in the early 90's and never looked back.... easily my fav. line of vinegar based hot sauces. The XXX being my overall fav.... it's all about FLAVOR.

1616701922115.png

Last edited:

Paperback Writer

Im a Rastaman not a Dreadlock
Hey Chile Heads!

I love Chile too and have been sprung on the Sriracha for quite some time but I like Marie sharpe chile from bolivia.

But I eat so much hot sauce I decided to grow my own and here is my garden. Don't have too many varieties going right now because my dogs decided to take out their aggression 👀😕

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Looks like some cousin or the original Lemon Drop? Super prolific that one and a nice bitter citrusy taste. You make me want to crack some beans!

Unfortunately on my previous run I had a severe aphids infestation that started from some C. annuum and spread to the others. They feasted on my plants so much everything was covered by their sticky excretions, and when growing indoors it's a pain. So I've been postponing since then... grew wild strawberries for my girl instead! 🤗

Paperback Writer

Looks like some cousin or the original Lemon Drop? Super prolific that one and a nice bitter citrusy taste. You make me want to crack some beans!

Unfortunately on my previous run I had a severe aphids infestation that started from some C. annuum and spread to the others. They feasted on my plants so much everything was covered by their sticky excretions, and when growing indoors it's a pain. So I've been postponing since then... grew wild strawberries for my girl instead! 🤗

Oh man bummer about your chiles, this is actually my sugar Rush peach that is pretty prolific. I have a lemon drop as well that is quite nice and a red habanero that grows ridiculously and is super hot too hot for me. But it just grows and grows :-)

The strawberry you sound good you should try to make some spicy jam 👍

Paperback Writer,
Reactions: KeroZen

CANtalk

Nice posts. Keep us in the loop @Paperback Writer! I grew scotch bonnet peppers last year with great success.

What's new for hot sauce/pepper fans? I recently finished one of my super hot sauces and in its place opened my first try of Dave's Scorpion pepper hot sauce. No extracts in this one. And a zingy citrus hit, with ~0.5M Scoville level heat or so (before long)...

DASPHS.jpg

I agree, scorpion peppers are definitely a step up from Habanero and Scotch Bonnet Peppers. Nice but not my favorite. Still, ymmv and worth trying.

CANtalk

TGIF and what's up in hot sauce and hot pepper land? I just opened up a bottle of Los Calientes Rojo from Hot Ones (that YouTube hot wings show talked about earlier, different sauce). It's a mild hot sauce that has been on for many seasons... and many reviewers rave about it's great taste. Not crazy pricey either, so I picked some up. First try was good but adulterated... I need to taste it clean before I can give better feedback. Some unseasoned wings and drumettes are currently defrosting :). Anyone else try this?
loscalientes1218.jpg

Los Calientes hot sauce is all over the internet. And probably YouTube too.

stonedmallone

TGIF and what's up in hot sauce and hot pepper land? I just opened up a bottle of Los Calientes Rojo from Hot Ones (that YouTube hot wings show talked about earlier, different sauce). It's a mild hot sauce that has been on for many seasons... and many reviewers rave about it's great taste. Not crazy pricey either, so I picked some up. First try was good but adulterated... I need to taste it clean before I can give better feedback. Some unseasoned wings and drumettes are currently defrosting :). Anyone else try this?
loscalientes1218.jpg

Los Calientes hot sauce is all over the internet. And probably YouTube too.

I really like this one! I have to say, I really like all the hot ones sauces (besides their last dabs, too hot for me). They just released a new Los Calientes one I want to try, Barbacoa.

Paperback Writer

@CANtalk that is a great one for sure! I tried to make a copy cat version and it was a hit at the office. For my next trick, I am going to infuse my herb in a bit of olive oil when I toast my chiles in sauce making. I will report back once I get this going

Paperback Writer,
Reactions: CANtalk

CANtalk

Hey hot sauce fans, keep up the talk and thx for sharing.

I finished that Los Calientes rojo hot sauce and it was great. Will buy again. I replaced this mild hot sauce with a new bottle of Yellowbird Habanero, and that YB is definitely much hotter... like 2-3 times as hot. But still very nice and sweet, which is great. My Dave's Scorpion hot sauce bottle is almost done... it makes those other hot sauces taste mild, lol. When finished, I'll be looking to open other hot hot sauce bottle... and I have a few new interesting options in the cupboard to consider. I'm still avoiding that Da Bomb sauce I picked up and posted first about here... haha.

I also opened a can of La Costena canned chipotles in adobo sauce and enjoyed it immensely. To me, they're in the the 20-30K Scoville heat unit range. These or similar authentic canned chipotles are pretty widely available at many grocery stores, including my local grocery, which is real nice.
9c55d7a154bdaa034bb0afd26c64953d.jpg

And what's going on in the growing hot peppers scene here lately? I got in on it and picked up a few plants... the rare 7 pot chocolate hot pepper plant is the only one kicking butt. Still happy though; it looks like I'm going to get a big crop of rare super hot habanero peppers (~1M Scoville heat units). At least I sure hope so!

Enjoy ur Sunday night.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
grabbed a bottle of this from a spice shop I like

NwrFSWy.jpg

maybe the French aren't known for their spicy peppers but they do make excellent vinegar, pleasantly hot and a little fruity with a delicious vinegar twang 😋 love it!

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
loving the French habanero hot sauce!!! just kicked up a bowl of pasta fazool a few notches!!! maybe 1 too many notches :lol: was incredibly delicious but did get a little sweat going and a runny nose.......... totally freaking worth it!!!!!!! got some questions for you more seasoned Sauciers?????? I don't read French ........ I know I'm Canadian and don't speak more than a few sentences in French :( but even with my very limited French skills I don't see anything on the bottle about how hot it is???? other than it says force 9/12??? don't know if it has to do with the Scoville scale? different ratings for the different hot sauces they make, so that 9/12 might only apply to their products??? I don't know much about hot peppers but thought habanero peppers were maybe on the higher side of a medium spicy pepper?

next order I'm going to grab the other hot sauces from the same maker, the habanero was the hottest of this brand available where I got it, the others were weaker so I can use more of it.

the other morning splashed on a scrambled egg omelet and piece of buttered toast to help tame the heat between bites was incredible :drool:

mBnDDFb.jpg

Bad Dog,
Reactions: KeroZen
Top Bottom