Hot sauce talk

3l3tric

TGIF and what's up in hot sauce and hot pepper land? I just opened up a bottle of Los Calientes Rojo from Hot Ones (that YouTube hot wings show talked about earlier, different sauce). It's a mild hot sauce that has been on for many seasons... and many reviewers rave about it's great taste. Not crazy pricey either, so I picked some up. First try was good but adulterated... I need to taste it clean before I can give better feedback. Some unseasoned wings and drumettes are currently defrosting :). Anyone else try this?
I know this is from a long time ago, but the OG los calientes is one of my personal favorite hot sauces. That stuff ramps up any tex mex dish, especially tacos on fresh flour tortillas. I just wish it weren't quite so expensive relative to the sauces I can get in stores. While it's not quite the same flavor, I end up using El Yucateco XXXtra hot in most of the same contexts, with that one giving a more smoky flavor with about as much heat.

CANtalk

Sounds great @3l3tric! The El Yucateco are excellent and inexpensive... I keep a bunch around. That Los Calientes is on my to-buy list and it's really good (and pricey).

Been meaning to stop in here 👍 . I made my own hot sauce for the first time this fall. I had a orange habanero plant that did well. I'll get and post a picture of the hot sauce. It's pretty spicy and tingly, but it doesn't linger very long.

I just finished that Dave's Scorpion hot sauce and will be opening up a new-to-me very spicy bottle and brand soon :). Will post here again for the reveal. On the milder side, I'm currently enjoying a recently opened bottle El Yucateco Jalapena hot sauce, MX label & sourced like this.
image.jpg

I've been really enjoying the Yellowbird Habanero hot sauce mentioned earlier. So I decided to try another Yellowbird hot sauce and picked up a bottle of the Blue Agave Sriracha (milder).
911518d56e84ee2bd3fb82b68cdb7775.jpg

Lots of hot sauce going on here. Tasty tasty. What's going on out there spice / hot sauce land?

Have a great weekend

:peace: :leaf:

CANtalk

How's hot sauce & pepper land out there?

I opened that mild El Yucateco jalapena bottle. I haven't opened that Yellowbird bottle yet, but have enjoyed some homemade habanero hot sauce (will try to share a picture). As for hot hot sauce, I'm currently about half way through a bottle of CaJohn's El Chupacabra hot sauce. It's not as hot as I was expecting, but it's still hot.
cajohns-el-chupacabra-hot-sauce-ghost-pepper-heat-level-08-shots-meta-related-collection-peppers-chilly-chiles-distilled-beverage-ingredient-bottle-359.jpg

More hot sauce interview YT videos, enjoy.

Still have this hot sauce (unopened) and here's its 2021 highlights, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS9wbhUYlGk.

CANtalk,

CANtalk

So little hot sauce talk.... need more.

I finished up that Chupacabra hot sauce and opened up a bottle of new hot hot sauce.

Carolina-Reaper-Mash-9oz-mash-jar-Front.jpg.png

Just beginning to get to try it. It's definitely hot :brow:.

Also enjoying other hot sauces like Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk rub.

Cheers and have a nice weekend

CANtalk

I forgot to say that I've tried the Yellowbird Blue Agave Sriracha sauce a while back and it's excellent :clap::nod:! I ordered a few more bottles, highly recommended & cheers :tup:

Hot sauce on

CANtalk,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

macbill,

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
I really like Ass Kicking hot sauce lineup I think they hold the heat without giving a bad flavor. I’ve had quite a few. Dave insanity gourmet cracks me up how it has instructions to clean oil from sidewalk on the back. The most I’ve ever pushed it with hot sauces so far is about 1.5 SHU . The hottest I think I’ve done though is eating a ghost pepper during a dry year. Had me dizzy, head spinning, and ears burning by the end of it I was pretty miserable 😂. I’ve toned down a bit and go for more flavor but every now and then enjoy melting face.
This next years garden I’m going to add a few different pepper plants in it and make some hot sauces. Going to order some capsicum extract to add into a couple bottles.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: CANtalk

CANtalk

I really like Ass Kicking hot sauce lineup I think they hold the heat without giving a bad flavor. I’ve had quite a few. Dave insanity gourmet cracks me up how it has instructions to clean oil from sidewalk on the back. The most I’ve ever pushed it with hot sauces so far is about 1.5 SHU . The hottest I think I’ve done though is eating a ghost pepper during a dry year. Had me dizzy, head spinning, and ears burning by the end of it I was pretty miserable 😂. I’ve toned down a bit and go for more flavor but every now and then enjoy melting face.
This next years garden I’m going to add a few different pepper plants in it and make some hot sauces. Going to order some capsicum extract to add into a couple bottles.
Sweet, sounds great! I have Ass Kickin' Habanero peanuts... "kick yo' ass hot". Excellent 👍. Same brand?

I've done some 1.5M+ SHU sauces, but haven't really delved into extracts... those are killer hot :evil: :evil: . I've had a few Dave sauces, very good 👍. I know extract sauces aren't for me, but I like having some around for the adventurous... like a bottle OG Da Bomb I still am waiting to open :cheers:. That Carolina Reaper pepper mash bottle is very impressively hot 🔥 (and no extract)... saw it rated up to ~ 2M SHU. My favorite spicy sauces are basically in the ~5K-300K SHU range. And the current mid level hot sauce in my rotation is (still) a homemade home grown Habanero... it's super tasty and ~300K SHU afaict. You're hardcore if you're diving into pure extracts :evil:. Either preference, cheers!

Last edited:

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Sweet, sounds great! I have Ass Kickin' Habanero peanuts... "kick yo' ass hot". Excellent 👍. Same brand?

I've done some 1.5M+ SHU sauces, but haven't really delved into extracts... those are killer hot :evil::evil: . I know extract sauces aren't for me, but I like having some around for the adventurous... like a bottle OG Da Bomb I still am waiting to open :cheers:. That Carolina Reaper pepper mash bottle is very impressively hot 🔥 (and no extract). My favorite spicy sauces are basically in the ~5K-300K SHU range. And the current mid level hot sauce in my rotation is (still) a homemade home grown Habanero... it's super tasty and ~300K SHU afaict. You're hardcore if you're diving into pure extracts!

Yeah that’s the same brand, I really like their balance in flavor and heat. I stick around 500k for when I want spicy and enjoyable. The extracts I will use to bring the heat up in otherwise not so spicy sauces to preserve the good flavor but add the heat back in.
My all time pepper flavor wise and not heat wise is Orange Blobs chili pepper. It’s got a sweet almost citrus taste similar to some habaneros but way less earthy and what I’d consider a clean flavor but they are lacking in heat. A drop of some capsicum extract to a batch to even that out without altering the flavor sounds like an ideal hot sauce to me.

iDRINKBLEACH,

CANtalk

What's new out there in hot sauce land?

For me, I've pretty much finished everything I posted on this page except that new bottle of Carolina Reaper mash. I'm still eating spicy food / snack pretty much every day. I've enjoyed grilled hot wings a lot. I'm currently also have some homemade homegrown habanero hot sauce open, that I estimate to be in the ~200K range or so, and a creeper. Plus some El Yucateco Chipotle Habanero. I just ran out of Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk hot & spicy seasoning and will open another one next week or so, I always keep a bottle of this open (must have). It's top notch on chicken and pork and I really enjoy Caribbean food.
81hGTsHzr3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For a mild hot sauce, I just finished a bottle of Yellowbird Blue Agave Sriracha and it was awesome (sweet, spicy, so flavorful). I have some new-to-me Yellowbird Jalapeno I'll open soon since I'm enjoying this brand so much. But first, I'm opening up a bottle of Sambal Oelek (very mild). It's less processed than Sriracha and I haven't had Sambal Oelek in a while. I look forward to it & for a change, will use in wings, stir fries, sandwiches, sauces, dips...

sambal_anchor-1024x683.jpg

That Carolina Reaper mash is no joke, good flavor but hot hot hot 🌶️🌶️🌶️.

This is making me hungry :lol:. I hope everyone is enjoying some spicy food once in a while. Cheers.

Here are a few newer Hot Ones YT hot wing challenge videos, enjoy.

All these years later, Da Bomb still brings "the goods" on that show :bowdown:.

TGIF & enjoy the holiday weekend!

Last edited:
CANtalk,

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Had the bomb for the first time this year. Don't know how they do it but it's nasty as nasty gets. Weirdly worse than technically hotter sauces.

Been making my own fermented hot sauces for the last four years, habanero and garlic is my happy spot. Anything hotter is reserved for hot wings contests with friends and family.

I enjoy the taste, heat and effects of super hot sauces on the way in, on the way through and out, not so much. :party:

Last edited:
TheThriftDrifter,

CANtalk

My favorite hot sauce. The flavor…is just excellent.
Will try to source, thx for sharing! For a related recommendation, try a Yellowbird hot sauce :luv:.

Had the bomb for the first time this year. Don't know how they do it but it's nasty as nasty gets. Weirdly worse than technically hotter sauces.

Been making my own fermented hot sauces for the last four years, habanero and garlic is my happy spot. Anything hotter is reserved for hot wings contests with friends and family.

I enjoy the taste, heat and effects of super hot sauces on the way in, on the way through and out, not so much. :party:
Sweet :tup:! A homemaker ultrafan :clap:, big thumbs up & come hang out here :nod:.

I have Da Bomb hot sauce but haven't tried it yet. It's an extract sauce, have you had many of those? Extract sauces are largely pure heat w/ little-to-poor flavor, and some find they taste like acid. I've had a few extract sauces before, top hot spicy but not tasty (so far). I picked up Da Bomb for novelty as much as anything. Big kudos on the homemade fermented hot sauces 🌠, mine posted before was made fresh & frozen last year. And my home habanero plants this year died, but I hope to try again next year and am thinking of adding fermented if I get a good crop. Habanero hot sauce is my favorite sauce for taste and & (fruity flavors with excellent enthusiast heat). Have your tried Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk? It's scotch bonnet peppers, which is a habanero subspecies. All top notch. I have no problems on the way out ;) :lol:. I really enjoy a variety of hot sauces and love the habanero level most, but also milder & spicier hot sauces for variety (as well). No so far much of a fan with extract hot sauces though, specialty servings only :whip:

Still haf, so sorry for any spelling or grammar issues :razz:.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yeah Hab'z is where it's at (and other Antillean / Caribbean similar chinense pods) if you want "functional" peppers. There's enough kick to please the chilli-head in you and the flavors can be so good. Anything hotter and you are forced to use less. I have a pure Carolina Reaper mash here for instance and the pot seems to never end, I'm concerned it might spoil before I finish it. And it's even not the hottest stuff we have around...

CANtalk

Great gifts for the spicy fan :nod:. I gave out some hot sauces this Christmas too, which were well received :tup:.

The first five hot sauces in that pack @Stu are mild, top notch and can be consumed quickly. The Los Calientes Rojo is amazing :love: (verde too)... I've mentioned it here before and try to keep some around. Enjoy.

I recently mixed up some Carolina reaper mash, mayo & vinegar for a dip, it was super good. So many options. Cheers.

Last edited:
CANtalk,
Reactions: Stu

CANtalk

What's up in hot sauce of spicy food land?

Hope ur knee deep into hot sauce already @Stu :tup:

I'm still eating spicy stuff almost every day & enjoying the hot sauces. Focusing on three at the moment. The Sambal Oelek is in regular use, excellent & spicier than I remembered

Here's another foodie sambal oelek link, enjoy
https://www.seriouseats.com/sambal-oelek-southeast-asian-indonesian-chili-paste

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2016__08__20160803-sambal-oelek-vicky-wasik-3-5a53d540dc43403d8f96428cda079c9e.jpg

SO is widely available, inexpensive & super natural. Fascinating history as well

Enjoy & have a great weekend

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Along with stocking up on all things cannabis, and only purchasing and primarily consuming cheap, crappy MA MSO MIDS for almost 2 full years.... I also stocked up on the basics here... pretty much all u (I) really need (along with franks and "cock" sauce, too, of course) for everyday fare:

Just splashed some of the green all over a couple "over-super-EZ" eggs topped on a lightly buttered bagel used to sop up all the messy carnage (tangerines on the side).... simple easy quick delicious.

Last edited:

CANtalk

Spiciness is still pretty much a daily routine here w/ regular hot sauce. The current rotation includes finishing bottles of Sambal Oelek & new-to-me Marie Sharp's Habanero pepper sauce. That MS sauce vaulted to a top fave, very chunky & fresh :luv: medium hot hot sauce, went through a bigger bottle fast!
10-oz-hotttt.jpg

Still doing that Carolina Reaper mash for the crazy side too, as well as the ever awesome Walkerswood Jamaican jerk hot & spicy sauce rub :brow: 😋 (see previous posts). I'm looking for more Sambal Oelek, but it's apparently part of the current Sriracha shortage. Can't wait to get more :luv:

Lately I circled back on some hot sauce content & enjoyed these, cheers, this show hit a pop culture jackpot in the scene
The famous Da Bomb again :lol:
I have this hot sauce, still haven't opened it 🔥🔥🔥🔥

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXEteCPQcGc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIdR332rqs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy59Fq-GkJg

I've had some of the bottles in the links & shout out to Los Calientes :luv:, the verde & especially the rojo ✨.... so aweseomd & repeat used as a top mild hot sauce here 😋

CANtalk,
Top Bottom