Discontinued herbalAire

mikek9

Vapor Enthusiast
yes elite with high output pump

I could maybe suggest loading the crucible from the bottom if you want to experiment a little. That is how I use the elite and find it gives me nice and thick bags from the start. You have to dislodge the screen in the crucible so it is pushed about midway. Then load it from the bottom and inset it with the mouthpiece. This will hold the herb right at the bottom and near the heat entry point. Another user suggested trying to create resistance for the pump and this is along the lines of what I would suggest as well. You want to try to disperse your load evenly across the screen and cover it completely so the air is forced through it evenly.

Elite turned up and weed hasn't :( 12 hours of work and hopefully a big bag of bud at the end of it! It's certainly a lot lighter than I expected and I kind of wish I just got the 2.2 and tong because the digital annoys me, I don't really get it. Could read the instruction and stop complaing I guess but a analogy dial would be better for a caveman like i!
Had a little play with some mixed herbs that came with it, it manged to fill a bag, was such just super whispy. I'm sure THC will fill it a bit better!

Hold down the bottom(main) button for a second or two and the unit powers on, it always remembers your last temp. Use the up and down buttons to change the temp. If you want to change the pump time, you have to push the main button once and while the time is flashing on the screen use the up and down buttons to adjust it. To start the pump, just push the main button once, the preset time will flash and then the pump will power on. Also, I think the Elite has a huge advantage having the pump's power integrated into the main unit so you only need one plug - something the H2.2 doesn't do.

Last edited:

cmdcwww5

I used a fine screen on bottom of the crucible and one on top. Do you think it was not stable enough and still flew up?pushing the screen on the crucible up seems very hard, i was scared of damaging the crucible, but I will try again.If I load it from the bottom, should I put a screen on the bottom of the chamer to prevent it from getting dirty or will it impede airflow?

cmdcwww5,

I know @421 has talked about using ceramic discs and some techniques for making the ha more of a one hitter. I haven't tried the discs, but I'm definitely interested. It's on my overly long vape things I don't need but want to buy list.

Here's my technique I use currently, which after testing does appear to give a thicker hit than no discs. I think because the discs when used flat on the bottom like this, add more conductivity to the setup. It's nice, I get really good results every time:

-Ground herb (You can do this technique with unground, but I use ground lately because it's easier to load small amounts this way. My avg bowl size is 0.1g)
-4 discs (I use Elite MP in 2.2, deeper, so 5 discs are probably good for 2.2 TonG)
-1 disc on bottom
-load on top
-3-4 discs on top of load: I believe these discs stacked together provide a vapor blocker, keeping any idle vapor in the HA until one pulls... also why only 1 disc on bottom, so the air can flow through more easily. Of course they also do another important function, keeping the load from flying up in the chamber, load stays secure and close to the heater.
-Temp I like to do 370 lately. Strain/material dependent, but too high a temp to start and I don't like the effects as much.
-Then before first pull, I wait ~30 seconds after it's to temp (I load mostly when it's already heated, sometimes not). This step I really like doing lately, seems to make my sessions more consistent, and gives that thicker first hit.

Last edited:

mikek9

Vapor Enthusiast
I used a fine screen on bottom of the crucible and one on top. Do you think it was not stable enough and still flew up?pushing the screen on the crucible up seems very hard, i was scared of damaging the crucible, but I will try again.If I load it from the bottom, should I put a screen on the bottom of the chamer to prevent it from getting dirty or will it impede airflow?

It sounds like your herb may be getting pushed to the top.

The screen is in there quite securely and you have to give it a good push to dislodge it. This may wear the crucible more than normal so maybe getting some extras will be helpful if you like the technique. I always have extras because the screens get worn out when you move them around. I also saw on planetvape they sell crucible screens so you could always just replace the screens when they wear out. It was like $2.50 for 5 screens I think.

mikek9,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
What's the advantage of the new crucible system on the Elite compared to the one in the older Herbalaires? The older ones seem so simple to use, so why did they change it?

RUDE BOY,

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
What's the advantage of the new crucible system on the Elite compared to the one in the older Herbalaires? The older ones seem so simple to use, so why did they change it?
Where the mp goes into the ha it's pretty shallow and it's pretty easy for it to pop out of there until it's pretty hot, even then it can still get knocked out. The new one doesn't look like it could get knocked out.

Also I think I read something about the metal crucible being surrounded by the teflon would help get more vapor from convection with the air rather than conduction with the hot metal walls of the chamber touching the crucible. Maybe the more science-y guys can chime in on that.

Edit: I agree the old one is super simple though. Crucible in, top on.

Tommy10

Alright honesty hour, put in maybe .35 and started at 170c something I never do and work up to 200. Load isn't finished just yet. Was pretty underwhelmed by the clouds and regretting not sparking the hammer up. 5 bags later (forgetting how vapor tends to sneak up on you) now I'm overwhelming stoned!, much higher than I intended but certainly not upset about it. Haha. For someone who usualy smokes/vapes .8-2g a day my tolerance is pretty high. This is one of those highs that takes you back to the early days of mj use.... HA gets one giant tick of approval from me! And I havnt even used the whip or direct draw yet!

Also the elite in particular gets a tick from me, pump timer is great. I'd suffer greatly without it, given the HA and it's sweet vapor has restricted my ability to turn the pump off manually before the bag fills. 1:30 does the trick!

cmdcwww5

really 1:30? My high output pump fills the bag in 1:10. Maybe 1:20 but then it would burst any second.this plastic valve I screwed tight all the way and inserted it into the right hole of the pump. Anything I am doing wrong? I would like my bags to fill slower too.

yesterday I also tried the 3 bag valve. The top bag was full and.the other two not even halfway. I was dissapointed...

and if you want to take only one or two bags off and leave the others on, the pressure puhes the vapor out of the bags through the valve. I was expecting more from this 3 bag valve...

cmdcwww5,

mikek9

Vapor Enthusiast
really 1:30? My high output pump fills the bag in 1:10. Maybe 1:20 but then it would burst any second.this plastic valve I screwed tight all the way and inserted it into the right hole of the pump. Anything I am doing wrong? I would like my bags to fill slower too.

yesterday I also tried the 3 bag valve. The top bag was full and.the other two not even halfway. I was dissapointed...

and if you want to take only one or two bags off and leave the others on, the pressure puhes the vapor out of the bags through the valve. I was expecting more from this 3 bag valve...

With your high output pump, can you turn it on and plug the inlet with your finger for a second and see if it stops pumping? I have the high output and it can be dialed down to 2 minutes if you really want.

When you turn it on and plug the inlet with your finger it should seize up for the time your finger is over the hole. If it doesn't, it may not be sealed properly.

Everything has a 3 year warranty so I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be well taken care of by the manufacturer.

Also, about the 3 way valve. It is essential that the bags are all made the same way. If you have a bit of plastic covering the inlet in the bags it can cause them to fill up unevenly. You have to make sure all 3 bags have good airflow into them and it isn't impeded in any way. Also, the 3 way and 5 way seems better for when you have company over because you can all have a bag at once. You definitely want to pull all the bags off when it's done because as you said, pulling one bag off caused the rest to leak through the open end.

What you can do is plug the whip into the top and plug two bags in. Cover it with your finger and run the pump and fill two bags. Then use the whip to pull from the two bags like a reservoir. This isn't my idea, it was suggested in a video done at a herbalAire booth.

Last edited:
mikek9,

cmdcwww5

Thanks, I will try that later.

With the 2 holes facing you, you plug the grey thing into the right hole, right?

cmdcwww5,

Tommy10

I only got the gear for two bags and not multi bag adapter with my elite... Is that usual?

Tommy10,

mikek9

Vapor Enthusiast
I only got the gear for two bags and not multi bag adapter with my elite... Is that usual?

Yes that is normal. The 3-way adapter comes with the high output kit. I believe at herbalAire.com they have a promotion where you get the 3way adapter and concentrate kit included with the Elite, but you have to buy it directly from them.

mikek9,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Tommy10

Big night last night recovery today, would have blown 40+ ha bags, hand broken tight pack, maybe 1.2g by looking no scales at the moment. Start at 360, and go up 10 every two bags till its done.

Tommy10,

cmdcwww5

Hello.

Yesterday I used the stock pump that came with the HA Elite, McGyvered a bit around with the tubings and used the valve to make the pump run as slow as possible before it made the rattling noise.

I got a bag fill time of 1:50, which I liked more.

I tightly packed 0.12 with an AA battery and used a screen on top and a paperclip inside the crucible to hold the load in place. It was evenly covering the screen and packed down tightly. I got a few bags with denser vape like this which was nice.

I went up to the max temperature and in the end was drawing directly to see that there was no more visible vapor. My ABV is still lighter than the one from my Alfa and even green in some places. I will try to attach a picture
T1jY5bb.jpg

Is it normal for the ABV to be that light? I always read that the HA is supposed to be the King of extraction?

All in all it just seems that the HA is too much of a hassle for me with noisy bags, power cord, pump tubing, crucible and tong in and out when not filling bags, no valve on bags makes passing a hassle, etc... My Alfa just seems so much simpler and performs, in my opinion, even better so far?!

cmdcwww5,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
that looks too light. all my duff looks like your stuff on the right. it's possible you have a defective unit, but you don't hear about that happening much. it could be your usage technique. are you grinding? i never grind with this unit, as that's part of the allure...better taste and effect without grinding.

do this:

pack a nugget in there that fills it about 1/3 the way up the crucible. then pack that sucker down as hard as you can. put a screen on top that is big enough to stay in place from the friction against the walls of the crucible. push that screen all the way down to hold the nugget at the bottom of the crucible. then go to town like you have been. my nuggets always come out fully cooked all the way through...crispy and dark like the load from your alfa.

stickstones,
Reactions: Enchantre

cmdcwww5

yes, left and right on the pic was ground by the same grinder.

I get that I would achieve better results with more herb, but personally I just cant use 0.5 or more every time if my standard amount is 0,12. I just guess the HA for me personally would be only good for big groups, since my Alfa does 0,12 with much less hassle

cmdcwww5,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
do whatever sized load you want with the method I described to determine if it is the machine or you.

stickstones,

cmdcwww5

thanks for your replies

The thing is that a 0,12 nugget is just too small to, if smushed down, occlude 100% of the surface of the screen. If I try it, there is always some holes visible if I hold the crucible in front of a light source.

I plan on trying the HA in a bigger group with much more material to see how it performs. But since that would only be in rare occasions and I vape with my wife, we cant use so much material and the HA would be obsolete then, since 0.12 gets us both to a good level

cmdcwww5,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
I can't recommend those vapor bros. ceramic discs @421 mentioned enough. They really change the performance of the unit quite a bit, in a positive way. The ceramic improves the conductive abilities of the chamber imo. They also allow you to effectively hockey puck .1g and get those bigger clouds that seem to only come off when the entire surface area of the crucible is evenly covered.

I just do a coarse grind, put 3-4 ceramic discs into bottom of crucible then loosely fill to the brim. I pop one ceramic on top and use the standard MP. I find that the standard MP makes a solid fit to old school bong stems, which is what I have currently. (broke all my 14-18mm stuff, more on the way, but meh for now.)

Really lets you feel comfortable with sessioning such a small amount, and it is particularly satisfying when you get 15-20 minutes of decent flavor off that tiny bit.

I really like the TonG attach, but I don't like that I have to espresso pack the 2.2 chamber for it to fit. I also find that if I cut down a crucible, I really wouldn't be able to use the ceramic discs as effectively as I'd personally like. So, for anyone who would rather keep the chamber clean by using crucibles with a TonG, maybe the Elite is the better way to go I guess. Haven't tried it though.

(This experience is based off someone who only uses the HA through water.)

cmdcwww5

does anyone know if and where I can get those ceramic discs in Europe? I can only find American shops carrying those...

cmdcwww5,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
it will still work with gaps in the bottom screen coverage...just try it out!

Another thing I like to do is pack it good and half full, but not leave it in while idle. So pack a half full crucible (or any amount that is more than you need for one session) and remove the crucible between hits or bags. Then put it back in for round 2 and remove as soon as done. Keep this up until it runs out...could be days.

Top Bottom