Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
vapor_cloud said:
:tup: welcome to the wonderful world of vapping bro. :cool:
Yep. Vaping, vapping, or vapeing-anyway you spell it, you're not smoking anymore. ;)

max,

marcuss

above the clouds
Welcome above the clouds Marvel ;) ....your time'n'space journey it's just begun so take a good hit and enjoy it!

marcuss,

marvel

Thanks all. Love this forum, everyone is so friendly, and nobody bitched at me for accidentally posting this discussion in the wrong forum at first. Way cool. As I expected, I felt great this morning. Smoking this much in one night I always felt like hell the next day. Vaping it, everything was smooth, cool, had a great day, great morning, no problems. I'll never smoke again.

marvel,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
I found some acacia bark ( too finely chopped up) like powder had difficulty in the E felt like it was blocked, since that iv'e tied to avoid to fine of a grind

Cannabudz,

marvel

Hey can someone explain how grinders work to me? I really don't get it. So you put the herb in the top section and turn it... and it gets ground up and falls onto the screen below? and under that screen, on the bottom, is where the kief lands?

Now... Do you just leave your herb in the grinder when you're done, effectively using the grinder as a storage case? and do these things seal up tight enough to block the smell (I'm looking at kellysgreatproducts CNC machined grinders on eBay)?

Last question... I don't use a lot of herb. 1/8 ounce will last me a month or longer. Given that, I'm thinking I'll just make the grinder my full time storage case as well, if they're supposed to be used for that. So, I'm thinking of buying a very large (100mm) grinder, just so I have extra storage space. Would that make sense? Or would I be better off buying a small grinder and dumping the ground herb into a different storage case? Does a grinder need to be packed full before grinding, or could I put a tiny amount in a giant grinder and still get an effective grind?

OK here's how I'm envisioning a grinder, tell me if I'm not accurate: I buy my herb. I stick it in the grinder and grind it. It falls onto the screen, where it stays and any time I want to vape some, I just open the grinder and take a little out. When I run out, I repeat the process. Is that pretty accurate? Or do you store your stash outside of the grinder?

heh, sorry for the ramble, just vaped some big hits and I'm feelin' great.

marvel,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
you can do that, thats a pretty good idea, as whenever you shake the grinder more kief falls, and the grinders are usually pretty well sealed, and it just sits on the screen, ready to vape

id be more inclined to grind it a bud at a time, just for the ritual :D
plus its a bit more aesthetically pleasing to pull a straight bud out and show it off before you grind its (assuming you smoke with other ppl, i dont usually)

im looking at the chromium crusher myself, its cheap, good materials, and looks lke good construction

Acolyte of Zinglon,

max

Out to lunch
kellysgreatproducts CNC machined grinders
I've got two of his. One 'all CNC' and one budget grinder, also aluminum. Even his cheap ones are good quality. Fast shipping and great customer svc. too.

IMO, 100 mm is way too big for a low volume user. You don't need that much grinding area and it's an expensive storage container. Kelly's CNC 100 mm is $70. For less than that you can get a Mix'n'Ball Classic screen grinder (56 mm) and a large, 50 mm x 60 mm, double sided storage container. Or you can look at kellysgreatproducts eBay store. He has a small aluminum grinder with built-in storage, and lots of separate storage containers.

i'm looking at the chromium crusher myself, its cheap, good materials, and looks lke good construction
If they use a chromium VI compound, which is likely since it's the only type that can be used as raw metal material, it's not RoHS compliant. It's a carcinogen via inhalation, and since you're grinding herb....Annodized aluminum is the best choice. Even then, you need to choose high quality. TrueBlendz is annodized but the quality is poor.

max,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
marvel said:
Hey can someone explain how grinders work to me? I really don't get it. So you put the herb in the top section and turn it... and it gets ground up and falls onto the screen below? and under that screen, on the bottom, is where the kief lands?
Exactly how a 4 piece screen grinder works. Some have more screens or none.

To address your other questions, yes most people leave the ground herb in the grinder. The screen section can hold a fair amount, depending on the inside diameter- mine is about 46mm and 10mm deep, it holds a little over a gram of ground herb iirc.

They contain the smell quite well though not to a dog's nose for sure. Spacecase claims their grinders are airtight. I usually only grind a days worth at a time, just fun to do more than anything.

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
Acolyte of Zinglon said:
its just called chromium crusher, its a steel zinc alloy
Since I've been looking at grinders lately, I've seen several places selling the Cromium Crusher, and they don't seem to agree on what it's made of.

Made From Titanium and zinc

Titanium, Zinc, Steel

Manufactured from a proprietary alloy of black chrome, aluminum, and nickel

Zinc's not good either. A post '82 penny is 97% zinc. Toxic if a kid swallows one and can be lethal for a dog.

The Crusher is probably fine, but nearly all grinders are made in the lands of cheap labor, and it's up to the user to be the quality control tester. If the TrueBlendz I bought had been tested, it never would have been shipped. And no warranty, so it cost me return shipping plus a $6 'restocking' fee to get a refund. :rolleyes: My 'made in the US' Mendo Mulcher is good quality, but way overpriced considering the poor design.

The only two grinder makes I've found with a warranty are Kelly's CNC grinders, and Mix'n'Ball (5 years). My Mix'n'Ball grinder hasn't arrived yet, so I won't comment on it, but it looks like the best combination of design/quality I've found.

max,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
come to think of it again, i think ill just pick up a cheap $15 electric coffee grinder at walmart and just carry the weed in this awesome little locking lid jar i have, its just big enough to hold an eigth, so ill be set if i go out anywhere

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
max said:
... but nearly all grinders are made in the lands of cheap labor, and it's up to the user to be the quality control tester.
:tup:

A good grinder is important and lasts probably a lifetime. No reason to cheap out on it... not worth potential flaking or unsafe materials or poor operation. Don't encourage them to continue producing crap. :lol:

My SSV branded 4 piece has worked flawlessly for me going on a year, if I had to buy another one it'd probably be Spacecase. Mix 'n' Ball looks good too and if max says the kellysgreatproducts grinders really are, I'd be inclined to believe. The Mendo mulchers look pretty hardcore, but if they still suffer from the kif catcher rim design flaws that's too bad.

Probably good to dry grind (or with some cheap herb) for a few minutes and then scrub it with a toothbrush in warm soapy water before using a new one (dry it out before using :p). Manufacturing residues etc.

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
CHROMIUM CRUSHER FEATURES:

* Manufactured from the finest metal alloy: a blend of mostly Zinc & Steel
They need to get the same info on both pages. :/ . Like a lot of sites, they could use some cleanup/updating (Mix'n'Ball site is a proofreader's wetdream too). This was on the same page:

"we are cutting all of our 4pcs Chromium Crusher herb grinders by another $5 for the month of June".

Hell it'll be September in a couple of weeks.

i think ill just pick up a cheap $15 electric coffee grinder
I've thought about this, especially since the PD likes a fine grind, but I like the kief collector in a hand grinder, and also worry about a spinning blade creating too much dust. Now one with an adjustable speed.....

vtac said:
if I had to buy another one it'd probably be Spacecase.
I kind of lost interest in the Space Case when a guy I know who owns both that and the Mendo, chooses to use the Mendo. I'd still like to try one out, but damn they're high priced. If you ever decide to get one, vapedaddy.com has the best price I've seen, by far. He's reliable but slow.

max,

marvel

IMO, 100 mm is way too big for a low volume user. You don't need that much grinding area and it's an expensive storage container.
Thanks. I suppose what I really need is a small grinder with a large, built-in storage area. :) I was hoping to have it all in one device, but I can buy a separate storage vial, I suppose.

So, you grind just before you vape it, right? You wouldn't, say, grind up everything right when you purchase it and store the ground stuff? Or would you? Maybe I am overanalyzing this. :)

marvel,

max

Out to lunch
I suppose what I really need is a small grinder with a large, built-in storage area
Here's one- http://cgi.ebay.com/1-25-Scout-Styl...032149350QQihZ024QQcategoryZ133QQcmdZViewItem

2 5/8" deep storage area would probably hold an eighth. No screen though. I gotta have a screen for kief filtering. But that's just my preference.

So, you grind just before you vape it, right? You wouldn't, say, grind up everything right when you purchase it and store the ground stuff? Or would you? Maybe I am overanalyzing this.
I usually grind about a gram or two of each strain that I have onhand. Grinding everything at once is more work than I care for. I enjoy processing my herb and don't want to make a chore out of it. If you want to grind it all up front that's not a problem though.

max,

marvel

Well, I bought a 2.5" 5 piece grinder from kellys and a cnc stash case. Figured I just needed to do SOMETHING and see how I liked the whole process, how I can make it work for me. I'll just grind a small amount at a time, keep the ground herb in the grinder, and use the case to store the raw unground goodness. Thanks for all of the replies. :)

marvel,
Top Bottom