Herb Grinders

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Same boat here, I love my HR but wouldn't mind something a bit bigger and easier to turn (i suffer with arthritis so i grip is hard especially when its gummed up and im being lazy in cleaning it) I found cutting a bike inner tube and warping it on the top lid helps to improve gripe a lot.

With the Aroma, I'm interested in this but how do you go about cleaning? I soak my HR in iso for five mins and scrub with a stiff toothbrush. Cant be soaking the Aroma with that bearing right?
You can get soakable bearings in ceramic and plastic, but they come out easy for cleaning. I'll be putting mine in the dishwasher, just like I do the HR- works great.

I also ordered the Grippy Boys... Plenty grippy.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I went a long time without cleaning my BCG, but it did eventually start to get harder to turn and by cleaning it, that eliminated that issue. I get some sticky herb. If you clean it with ISO, you might be surprised at the difference...

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Ok, today's a new day, let's give it another "go", shall "we", why not?

For those that must have black walnut and a see-through catch and don't mind it being plastic (the kief screen can be removed):

Currently $24 less than the product website. I know nothing more about this particular product and company than a quick price check. No, I'm not even thinking about purchasing one for myself to match my black walnut SB HydroMaxx, cuz I LOVE my Lift Innovations as is as always, nor am I associated in any way with 421Store.... just passin' it on (believe it or not)....:peace:

Edit: hey, at least the kief scraper is SS....!!

Last edited:

Axel_420

definitely a considerable upgrade for me compared to the Flower Mill
Why?

Leaving aside the metal dust problems of the Flower Mill, specifically in the stainless steel version that I own, in what do you find BCG (SS or aluminum) or Old Mate superior? To everyone.
I haven't tried the latter two, but I like the FM for its speed in "grinding"/milling and its fluffiness, the ability to put in whole nuggets, and the fact that because it doesn't have teeth, no pieces get stuck between them.

EDIT: I forgot to ask. Do you think milling preserves more trichomes or is it just marketing?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Why?

Leaving aside the metal dust problems of the Flower Mill, specifically in the stainless steel version that I own, in what do you find BCG (SS or aluminum) or Old Mate superior? To everyone.
I haven't tried the latter two, but I like the FM for its speed in "grinding"/milling and its fluffiness, the ability to put in whole nuggets, and the fact that because it doesn't have teeth, no pieces get stuck between them.

Yeah the mill is not like a traditional grinder, that is one thing I didn't like about it ultimately, I just didn't like the way it works and the grind as much and how you get it... For me the OMD is much more effortless grinding, and I always clean up my nugs of stems to small size loaded between the teeth anyway... BCG is a bit more control over the grind as well (and I find fluffy depending on the weed primarily I think any quality grinder can do it)

The Aroma 3 uses very sharp teeth to cuts the herbs, It doesn’t grind, there is none of the crushing that you often find in other grinders. There is also very little residue left in the cutting chamber after you complete your grind - I wish there was another word that would come to mind, calling this a grinder does it a disservice.

Great points, this is true, and helps explain why it is so effortless for me, the teeth don't grind touching each other getting stuck leaving stuff there, it cuts smoothly, unique experience!

Forgot about these details^ (from OMD thread latest user review)

666Honeybadger

Unknown member

I haven't tried the flowermill but the OMD is amazing for how easy it is on the hands/wrists. I actually often just hold the bottom parts and then slide the bottom of my hand along the top part to grind/make it spin. Heck, you can even use your forearm to make the top part grind! That's amazing grip in my book! Going back and forward very fast with arm/palm of hand makes it grind thru everything without effort for the fingers/handgrip!

It also cut thru very dank buds if needed, i often overload it, that can make the first spins a bit harder but basically it cuts thru everything you throw in it.
I've had other 'more budget' grinders that did the job but the fluffyness of the OMD-grind is really next level compared to those. The ground weed almost behaves like a fluid when you pour it: very cool. Appearantly the BCG has a similar fluffyness.

The weight of the top plate makes grinding very effortless, it helps getting momentum.

The machining is top notch and the design is very effective: no touching parts and very "clever" teeth.

Haven't looked around for a grinder since recieving this one. Just very happy with it: does the job more then great and it's also a nice toy to have on the table.
Like i said before: get one! There will be no regrets!!

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Have owned: generic alu, ss herb ripper (still have), flower mill (wanted to like, ultimately returned), and now aroma 3.
FM doesn't compare; mine would balk on the sticky good stuff (unless you wanted it rolled into tight little loglets) and the design is inherently metal-on-metal; dust is inevitable. HR works well, esp when clean, but is small and a full load of sticky makes it hard to turn and that's when you really notice how small and smooth it is.
OMD A3.... New kid. Spinny bit is fun. Easy grip, works fast, a little chunkier than the HR. Best one so far, no question.

Radwin Bodnic

Why?

EDIT: I forgot to ask. Do you think milling preserves more trichomes or is it just marketing?

I like milling my flower as well. It takes bone dry bud to achieve good results. Although it's dedicated to my vapman's, the MFLB Finishing grinder works the exact same way.

I'm very intrigued by the Stona grinder at the moment but it's oversized for my use. I'd love to see one made at the scale 5/8.

stona_grinder_walnut_deepgrey_2_x365@2x.jpg
stona_grinder_walnut_champagne_3_x365@2x.jpg
stonaandstonitoredcouch_x365@2x.jpg

Two screens size options, it appear to make a very consistent and easy job with good consistency for vaporizers. Plus it's beautiful.

Last edited:

Finessseee

Hey y’all quick question - are the only options for a 3 piece Stainless Steel threadless grinder the Old Mate Aroma 3 and Brilliant Cut? I feel like one of these two are going to end up as my end game grinders as they’re both the only 3 piece stainless steel threadless options available. I’m not in a rush to buy one, just wondering if there are any other contenders that fit the same critera?

3 piece - stainless steel - threadless

Shit Snacks

Hey y’all quick question - are the only options for a 3 piece Stainless Steel threadless grinder the Old Mate Aroma 3 and Brilliant Cut? I feel like one of these two are going to end up as my end game grinders as they’re both the only 3 piece stainless steel threadless options available. I’m not in a rush to buy one, just wondering if there are any other contenders that fit the same critera?

3 piece - stainless steel - threadless

Not sure if it is still available, but used to be the United Machining Grinder... I had gotten the UMG 2.0 through pre-order along while ago, did not care for it at all though coming from BCG... Fortunately was able to sell it and then the OMD had me pretty thrilled lol

Finessseee

Not sure if it is still available, but used to be the United Machining Grinder... I had gotten the UMG 2.0 through pre-order along while ago, did not care for it at all though coming from BCG... Fortunately was able to sell it and then the OMD had me pretty thrilled lol
Good to know! Yeah I’m tempted to buy a Herb Ripper 3 piece for $80.. but I think I’d prefer threadless, especially if this ends up being the last grinder I’ll ever need lol. Seems like the SS BCG or SS OMD is a better buy than the Herb Ripper / ZAM / Odin Grinders. Threadless, Stainless, Native 3 Piece checks all the boxes for me.

Shit Snacks

Good to know! Yeah I’m tempted to buy a Herb Ripper 3 piece for $80.. but I think I’d prefer threadless, especially if this ends up being the last grinder I’ll ever need lol. Seems like the SS BCG or SS OMD is a better buy than the Herb Ripper / ZAM / Odin Grinders. Threadless, Stainless, Native 3 Piece checks all the boxes for me.

Yeah there are a lot of people who like the ripper, but aside from the threads, I think there are other things that OMD & BCG offer that make them superior, at least based on my experience with others and from what I've seen of HR

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
The Aroma 3 I got from Ben in the latest release, and I love it...

... but I suffer from FOMO, HARD... so I wanted to have an idea as to what the BCG was like to use to see if I had made the right decision.

The only one I could get access to was a Aluminum version, apart from weight and possibility how sharp the teeth are, I figured I would get a good idea as to how the BCG functions with the Aluminum version.

I’ve only really used Pulsar, Kannastor, Shredders, S&B plastic, Grinders my girlfriend bought from Vegas when she was working there... and the tiny Magic Flight Launch Box's little finishing grinder…

Just sharing my first use of the BCG, I have a couple of comparisons of the cut/ground herb and a video of the BCG at work…

I love the fact the Aroma 3 was spinning the whole time… I have a box of fidgets including spinners and the Aroma 3 out spins my fidget spinners....

Last edited:

sadf

The Aroma 3 I got from Ben in the latest release, and I love it...

... but I suffer from FOMO, HARD... so I wanted to have an idea as to what the BCG was like to use to see if I had made the right decision.

Thank you for sharing! Please let us know how you like them once you've used both a little.

I love my BCG enough that I had been thinking of ordering an SS model until just recently learning the Aroma 3 exists, and now I'm torn; the bearing is neat, but I'm not sure about its longevity, a SS grinder is the sort of thing I would want to never require maintenance aside from a rare cleaning.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
The bearings are designed to do thousands of revolutions on a skateboard, with a rider weighing 100+lbs bearing on them the entire time. Unless you plan to run a fledgling grow operation by running hundreds of pounds a month through your OM, they ain't going to fail in our lifetimes.

sadf

The bearings are designed to do thousands of revolutions on a skateboard, with a rider weighing 100+lbs bearing on them the entire time. Unless you plan to run a fledgling grow operation by running hundreds of pounds a month through your OM, they ain't going to fail in our lifetimes.

haha fair, I was more thinking contamination or getting iso in it if not careful cleaning, but looking up the bearing used it seems to be something that probably won't be impacted by short term exposure to liquids

Shit Snacks

haha fair, I was more thinking contamination or getting iso in it if not careful cleaning, but looking up the bearing used it seems to be something that probably won't be impacted by short term exposure to liquids

Actually, the standard bearing is not okay to soak, if you check the OMD thread you will see the details about cleaning, it's really not a problem, definitely robust to last with minimal cleaning as you describe, and I think it is an excellent pair with the BCG... Of course some people weren't a fan of it, just like some people are not a fan of the BCG somehow, so nothing is universally for everyone... I think you are safe to go ahead and order OMD though if it appeals to you!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
The bearings are designed to do thousands of revolutions on a skateboard
The newer bearing Ben settled on is even better in this application as the skateboard bearing was not designed to be used sideways...should last 2x lifetimes now.:2c:
I will still prefer my PEEK or ceramic as I do not have to remove them when soaking in iso.
I would recommend getting Ben's bearing puller when you buy the grinder as purchasing it separately is significantly more expensive due to shipping costs.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Thank you for sharing! Please let us know how you like them once you've used both a little.

I love my BCG enough that I had been thinking of ordering an SS model until just recently learning the Aroma 3 exists, and now I'm torn; the bearing is neat, but I'm not sure about its longevity, a SS grinder is the sort of thing I would want to never require maintenance aside from a rare cleaning.
I have only had the BCG with the Aroma for 2 maybe 3 days...

Just focusing in on the common medium grind, I really like the "fluffy cut" the Aroma-3 produces, it turns a medium cut into something that has the airflow of a coarse grind but the size of a medium grind, I prefer the results of using the Aroma-3 over the the results from using the medium grind plate on the BCG .

I am still deciding how I feel about the BCG as you can only grind so much in a couple of days :) I think I emptied 3x 10g tubs in the last 2 days to play with the grinders and take some photos and stuff and have put aside a couple of jars with each of the 4 grinds (Aroma-3 medium, BCG coarse, medium, fine) to try them in some different devices to see if there is any noticeable difference.

I will probably empty another 3 over the weekend so I'll probably have an opinion by then :)

Top Bottom