Herb Grinders

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
^^^I'm more amazed by the old Casio Data Bank watch he's wearing with a higher end band...at least it looks like one...lol :nod:

Used to love those old Casio watches...:love:

Oh yeah...the grinder looks like you're closing the tube on a submarine torpedo bay. :cool:

Last edited:

gangababa

Well, OK; I'll play.

I had a grinder before I left the States. A friend gave me a large four piece metal grinder, probably 70 mm diameter.
I gave it away when I moved to Uruguay. As a solo (mostly Solo) vaporist in a pre-legal condition, I cut up personal small needs with a folding cuticle scissor, nothing fancy. The only time it was a chore was when I was packing my needs for a two week cross-country round road-trip.

Just pre-pandemic, my solo-soul-mate returned from a trip to the States, bringing me another Solo, with which I received a plastic grinder as a vender gift. I gave it away unused.

Now, however, for my 75th birthday I bought a new grinder that the vender says was made in India. It is a 60 mm diameter 4-part metal grinder (magnet held top, kif tool). I purchased it locally at 990 pesos cost (about U$S 23.00).
And, thankfully, I am delighted with how well it works, because the scissoring cut into my savoring flower hours.

It remains to be seen how soon I need show up in the grinder-cleaning thread.

IMG-3107.jpg

My apologies for the too big picture from a place far away.

condition

I got a large stona grinder on Friday. It is really-really large, like 3 or 4 large size STX grinders stuck together. It is an innovative grinder, mainly in wood and glass. Both these elements (glass and wood) are very well incorporated in the grinder, which looks like a vase due to its size/construction. The mill consists of a metal cap and a wooden mill. The metal cap unscrews and opens into a nice wooden container for nugs, can take up to 4 gr.

Now to the grinding: comes with 2 screens, I used the fine one because my herb is very fresh atm. I can say that it outperforms the STX first generation grinder that I own. What I don't like is how am I going to clean all these parts, each one requires different cleaning method, whilst I submerge other SS and aluminium grinders into iso for couple of hours and come out ads new.

191031_Stona_Produkt0771_ad5c8d1d-e613-4793-a2f3-32461e2fc618_300x300.jpeg

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Putting this here since it is a comparison of two grinders, instead of putting in their individual threads.
Hopefully the right place.

Anyhow, here are a few comparisons of grinds using the BCG and Flowermill with similar amounts of same strain.

For the Smallest Size (FlowerMill) vs. Fine (Brilliant Cut Grinder), they had very similar outcomes - both very consistent in size and fluff:

For the Middle Size (FM) and Medium (BCG), it is also pretty similar although I find the BCG to have more consistent grinds:

For the Largest size (FM) vs Coarse (BCG) there were a few nugs that got through the FM - (upper left corner is visible one), so again the size of ground herbs is much more consistent with the BCG. Then again, I don’t use coarse much, so maybe the little nugs are a good thing for some people:

Finally, because I happen to have 4 strains to play with, I did a comparison with 2nd smallest size (FM) with the Medium (BCG). The FM came out finer than the Med BCG, and they were both consistent grinds. I did have a decent sized chunk that just would not go through the FM (I repositioned it a couple of times, but it just would not break up and fall thru holes) which is probably by design, but if it was in BCG it probably would have been shredded without issue and blended in with rest of herb:

I really do like the FM, especially how easy it is to store all the different sized screens, but after only a couple of grinds, it is almost ready for a cleaning, while the BCG won’t need cleaning for a much longer time.
But it is also much easier to clean/brush out the top part of the FM than the BCG without making a mess.
The FM has consistent grinds with the 3 smallest sizes, not so much with the largest 2 sizes while the BCG always seems to grind very consistent results regardless of screen size.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Putting this here since it is a comparison of two grinders, instead of putting in their individual threads.
Hopefully the right place.

Anyhow, here are a few comparisons of grinds using the BCG and Flowermill with similar amounts of same strain.

For the Smallest Size (FlowerMill) vs. Fine (Brilliant Cut Grinder), they had very similar outcomes - both very consistent in size and fluff:

For the Middle Size (FM) and Medium (BCG), it is also pretty similar although I find the BCG to have more consistent grinds:

For the Largest size (FM) vs Coarse (BCG) there were a few nugs that got through the FM - (upper left corner is visible one), so again the size of ground herbs is much more consistent with the BCG. Then again, I don’t use coarse much, so maybe the little nugs are a good thing for some people:

Finally, because I happen to have 4 strains to play with, I did a comparison with 2nd smallest size (FM) with the Medium (BCG). The FM came out finer than the Med BCG, and they were both consistent grinds. I did have a decent sized chunk that just would not go through the FM (I repositioned it a couple of times, but it just would not break up and fall thru holes) which is probably by design, but if it was in BCG it probably would have been shredded without issue and blended in with rest of herb:

I really do like the FM, especially how easy it is to store all the different sized screens, but after only a couple of grinds, it is almost ready for a cleaning, which the BCG won’t need cleaning for a much longer time.
But it is also much easier to clean/brush out the top part of the FM than the BCG without making a mess.
The FM has consistent grinds with the 3 smallest sizes, not so much with the largest 2 sizes while the BCG always seems to grind very consistent results regardless of screen size.

Thanks Jill, excellent comparison & pics. Owning both sizes of BCG, “3 plate club”, I’m probably good till ..... :)

TeaCup

Huh, just came on here to post a question about whether or not the BCG and the Flower Mill grinds compliment each other well........................and look ma, here comes @Jill NYC!! Nice!

So by the looks of it, they don't seem to compliment each other well, they look similar to me. Which I guess will lead me to this question then:

I'm constantly looking at peoples grinds. Sometimes I see grinds that the flower is kinda shredded long length wise, and sometimes I see it like little pellets. I'm too lazy at the moment to find pics of both, but if anyone knows what I mean, is this a specific grinder thing, or more to do with the makeup of that particular strain?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Less of a strain thing, more of an each individual herbs thing, not to mention different ways in which different people grind etc... Yeah I take all that stuff with a huge grain of salt, personally, if you're deciding between the two, the best way to think of it for me is this: BCG is the ultimate standard grinder, the high grade aluminum, beautiful shape and colors, no threading simple three-piece and played option design, with the kicker being the anti-locking no jam design with the side teeth in the lid... FM it's a totally unique experience, milling not grinding, almost grating the herbs against flat plates with a flute design in the lid to grip the buds, it is extremely quick or it can be, with minimal effort, although it is really not the same the way you load it the way you use it and the type of grind you get in person, of course depending on the buds and plates and exactly how you use it... The shape and grip is different, the build and materials, other differences I'm sure you're aware of, so it is tough to decide which one to get though I think if you get either one especially a full set you would be well taken care of... I just think they can be very complimentary, I don't have the two finer plates for my FM, so for me it is more of a quick chunky coarse grind machine, really nice if I want to use whole nugs basically but not exactly that... BCG is what I use the most though, because it is just more versatile for me, even with one plate I have more control, I grind upside down for more consistency and how fine the grind is, with medium plate (can be coarse too) or fine plate... there is a reason I have two regular BCG and a large and am contemplating another regular one with coarse plate if not their eventual stainless steel version... Don't get me wrong I do love the flower mill too, no plans to get rid of it, it finds a way into the rotation, and I really like the new colored options they are going to be offering for it... Decisions are the worst!

greenmachinexlt

NoFuxLeft
I picked up a large green SCS to play with while I wait for my BCG to show up. I'm curious to see which I will like better of the two. I've been using a Chromium Crusher forever. Been vaping since 2009 when I bought a da buddha and that Chromium Crusher, but I've haven't really considered upping my grinder game since then. Been using the CC till the SCS came a couple days ago. The Chromium grinds it pretty fine and I am finding that I prefer at least a medium grind having now used the SCS. SCS feels and works SO much better than my CC ever has. Looks like I've been missing out for years.

ibrokemypie

i currently have a shitty little ebay grinder and am looking to replace it with something nice, and the three piece threadless design of the bcg really appeals to me as it seems like it would require a lot less cleaning and be less likely to get gummed up, but the shipping to australia is like another third again on top of the already exorbitant price.

is there any way to get a bcg locally? or are their other nice grinders instead that would be easier to obtain? looking for suggestions really and my criteria are basically minimum effort/cleaning and lasts a long time, for light solo use and being pretty (like the lavendar alientech grinder or rose gold gr8tr) is a big bonus

Shit Snacks

I figured I would share this, from the Flower Mill thread, here so it gets more attention, and more votes (for blues and purples!)

Hoping to get some help from you all! Mini Mill's are coming up fast, and we need to decide on colours for the first batch. Here's a form to fill out and add your opinion:

Check the FM thread for more! Mill Minis:cool:

Finessseee

Flower Mill, Herb Ripper, Brilliant Cut Grinder, Santa Cruz Shredder… Which is best / do you prefer? I’ve been having a tough time deciding between these 4..

Finessseee,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

What’s your preference between BCG- coarse medium, fine grinds?

It depends on the vape, also you can grind upside down which I often do for consistency, if you want to get one, get the medium, you can grind up sit down as much as you want to get it as fine as you want, or you can grind right away to get it a bit more course, or something in between...

Also FYI they are coming out with a steel model that will have aluminum on the outside as a shell, stainless steel all on the inside, if that appeals to you more so, it will be more expensive of course though!

Finessseee

It depends on the vape, also you can grind upside down which I often do for consistency, if you want to get one, get the medium, you can grind up sit down as much as you want to get it as fine as you want, or you can grind right away to get it a bit more course, or something in between...

Also FYI they are coming out with a steel model that will have aluminum on the outside as a shell, stainless steel all on the inside, if that appeals to you more so, it will be more expensive of course though!
Yessir! Good to know. Wondering if maybe I should snag a flower mill stainless steel for now and then get the stainless steel BCG when that releases! What makes you prefer the BCG over the FM?

Finessseee,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

Yessir! Good to know. Wondering if maybe I should snag a flower mill stainless steel for now and then get the stainless steel BCG when that releases! What makes you prefer the BCG over the FM?

FM is not like a normal grinder at all, it is totally unique, I prefer a normal grinder since it is what I am used to and I know how to use it, more control over the grind for me, although if you don't mind swapping plates in the FM I'm sure that would give you the full range you need...

The BCG is the best standard grinder ever in my mind, the best feature being the side teeth in the lid that prevent it from ever locking up or jamming on you, but also the lack of threading, the high grade aluminum, plus the beautiful colors and design appearance!

Steel is nice but not really necessary imo I got the United Machining Grinder for that at first but did not like it...

Finessseee

FM is not like a normal grinder at all, it is totally unique, I prefer a normal grinder since it is what I am used to and I know how to use it, more control over the grind for me, although if you don't mind swapping plates in the FM I'm sure that would give you the full range you need...

The BCG is the best standard grinder ever in my mind, the best feature being the side teeth in the lid that prevent it from ever locking up or jamming on you, but also the lack of threading, the high grade aluminum, plus the beautiful colors and design appearance!

Steel is nice but not really necessary imo I got the United Machining Grinder for that at first but did not like it...
Ah you’re selling me more and more on the BCG.. last question.. do you prefer 3 or 4 pc?

Top Bottom