• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Herb Grinders

Vitolo

Vaporist
So pictured is a new out of the box Santa Cruz Shredder medium 3 piece. I haven’t used it. Washed with dish soap and a dishwashing brush. What are the circled marks in the lid? Are they scratches? Manufacturing imperfections? Is it safe to use, or should I try to return it?
I always go with straight silver metal.
Even my once owned titanium coated space case had issues.
I do not know which manufacturing flaw it could be.
  • The spots were missed during anodizing.
  • Anodized coating done and stressor test during twist, there may have been a partner piece that was cut too deep.
The next is an inquiry.
  1. Did you inspect it VERY closely prior to use?
  2. Did you notice the flaws?
  3. Did you first notice flaws after use- never having looked closely?
Even if I have not hit the nail directly on the head, perhaps I shared some food for thought.

jbm

The next is an inquiry.
  1. Did you inspect it VERY closely prior to use?
  2. Did you notice the flaws?
  3. Did you first notice flaws after use- never having looked closely?
I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at here; I said in the OP that I haven’t used the grinder because I inspected it before I used it and noticed the flaws. It’s a moot point now in any case; the vendor is sending a new grinder and a return label.

Get the seller to give you an explanation and let us know...please
The seller says they don’t know what it is but they’re exchanging it.

Benson X

I received the SCS 3-Piece and it (appears to be) matte finish :D
ACtC-3fdGMlrh7JQBcxukm8F7M-J1XZWriaRz_0NGSm54FrUIEEPBuLwU2C5X8J0lLpaK6-rwkIlqmpeElL5hqbKo1oQgUVRPYkAEyOFNN_9kl1JPaHTOODdoH-cVrM5KTQSZAeC-23emfIU3AgDtIPtjEsH6Q=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3fwqpCDBHJj6AdUab_scoSCn9LyAoLJbtvb3cS3Z8JPRmBCJxPqLCxO3pOUqsCFZBpqv0VOi6eE3NI7dD12Ntf0qX9lUO_uxcNSys8j45VyUtBwgzHTqMfXU2CyfnNNX6OszQ5Omv5OHeW59lmHGsD6Kg=w1250-h937-no
The machining on this thing is something else - very precise with nicely beveled edges on everything! Makes me want to get into CNC and CAD design. There are a couple "wear spots" on the top exterior of the lid, likely from in-transit jostling, but it is purely cosmetic. No flaking or anything internally. Gonna grind up a few grams this evening to see what she can do!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Too bad it is such a small herb container used that way, barely holds enough for 1x Plenty bowl and yes, I do have their 'Large' version.

Wait what? Using my SLX 2.0 as a 4-piece has a really small catch chamber, but using it as a three piece with the screen section removed gives you a SIGNIFICANTLY larger catch chamber!

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Mine is a SLX v2.5, so might be different, vernier says my herb chamber depth is 10.52mm, my Space case is 40.68mm deep in comparoison(with keif richards removed on both)

The point was that you said "it is such a small herb container used that way", insinuating that it has a smaller herb chamber when used as a 3-piece, instead of a 4-piece.

Here is my SLX with the screen in, used as a 4-piece:
lg-EZSg-Cu-Tn-Kmrzv-HKSZ8-Rg-thumb-15b1.jpg

And here it is with the screen out, using as a 3-piece. It's definitely a larger space in the herb chamber without the screen section:
Gds5u-S-5-TQWbb-COx-HS7-TNg-thumb-15b0.jpg

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@Kins: How do you overfill the Crown? You must really pack it full. :lol:

I’m really enjoying my Crown, it’s the only grinder I use now, my SLX and Space Case are collecting dust. Stainless steel, toothless, and without a blade is the way to go.

I was hoping it wouldn’t get sticky like every other grinder I’ve used but the side of the milling chamber does acquire some residue. I haven’t had it lock up. Cleaning it took only a couple minutes, a few q-tips and a little isopropyl alcohol. The lack of teeth really makes a difference when cleaning, it is so fast and easy.

The reports of the BCG being impossible to lock up intrigue me, I do like the side tooth design. If they made a stainless steel version I might be tempted to get one.

Kins

@Kins: How do you overfill the Crown? You must really pack it full. :lol:

I’m really enjoying my Crown, it’s the only grinder I use now, my SLX and Space Case are collecting dust. Stainless steel, toothless, and without a blade is the way to go.

I was hoping it wouldn’t get sticky like every other grinder I’ve used but the side of the milling chamber does acquire some residue. I haven’t had it lock up. Cleaning it took only a couple minutes, a few q-tips and a little isopropyl alcohol. The lack of teeth really makes a difference when cleaning, it is so fast and easy.

The reports of the BCG being impossible to lock up intrigue me, I do like the side tooth design. If they made a stainless steel version I might be tempted to get one.

Yeah my crown gets a lot of use. I do pack it overfull sometimes so it takes a while to get the herb ground. That's just me though. I get the thing really dirty. Cleaning it is very easy.....

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
TROYS LATEST GRINDER REVIEW 8-19-20: “Lift Innovations”

TROY SAYS:
“While the blades and plates system is certainly different than the traditional herb grinder teeth, the cutting action is no different. In my weed grinder comparisonvideo, I even used a microscope to compare the grind consistency. BUSTED – This grinder functions in the same manner and there are no discernible differences in the grind.”

Vitolo

Vaporist
Anyone remember this start-up, that never lifted off?

Drug

I've always used my fingers for crumbling my weed, but after reading some positive reviews for (somewhat) newer grinders I'm thinking of acquiring one. A non-threaded 3-piece design would suit me best. I'm having some difficulty deciding which one's for me though.

I'm tempted by stainless steel, but as far as I can tell only United Machining uses 316 ss. This is probably the product that comes closest to my wishes, but unfortunately it is currently out of stock. And I lack patience.

Other ss grinders use 304 (or non specified). I'm not a metallurgist, but reading some reports of metal shavings with 304 ss has made wonder how the 304 ss compares to 7075 aluminum and if the former is really that much better than the latter for this type of use.

This is a relevant to my search because there are some (7075) aluminum grinders out there that reportedly outperform ss ones in aspects other than material quality. Because of its design, I would prefer a BCG over a herb ripper for example (and disregarding material I would pick it over a United Machining as well).

So that's kind of where I'm at. Doubting whether I should even consider a 304 ss grinder. And if not, which 7075 aluminum would make me the happiest. The raving reviews of the BCG would make that an easy decision, were it not that I'm located in Europe, making it a bit of a splurge with shipping.

I would be willing to throw the money at it if it had the seemingly indestructible appeal of a United Machining grinder, but I've read about the wear on the BCG which is kind of off putting. I would probable go for a Gleichdick grinder. I think it's what comes closest to the BCG with regard to the qualities I find important (non-threaded, 3-piece, higher grade aluminum).

What do you think? Am I too worried about the 304 ss quality? Am I forgetting a 316 ss grinder? If both questions answer negatively, it's gonna boil down to waiting for United Machining to stock up or picking up the Gleichdick.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
it's gonna boil down to waiting for United Machining
I am sure I heard they were coming out with a new and improved design, also I don't bother with 304 S/S, it is shit compared to 316 and aluminium stuff lasts longer here where I live on the coast compared to useles 304 (even my 304 S/S CVaults rust, that is why they now have a 316 version called an EVault).:2c:

Top Bottom