• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Herb Grinders

Benson X

2 piece grinders are my favorite. I see no need to remove chief from my bud before vaping, and I see no need to save chief separately.
I have a couple dozen grinders.
I have the entire collection of space cases, but then I got stuck on the Santa Cruz Shredder.
My favorite grinder of all time is made by @NewVape710
It is the NewVape fine Grinder with armbands.
It is sharper than any grinder I have tried, and it works wonderfully with patients with a grip issue.
Thank you for the recommendation @Vitolo! I will check those out and try to convince myself to pony up a few more bucks for a better product.

I'm liking the SC Shredder (3-piece). Seems like exactly what I'm looking for, simple and reliable with an ample catch compartment and nice machining.

The price for for the SCS and NewVape are a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

Any experience with the SCS Hemp models? Seems like a safer alternative to plastic or acrylic and more within my budget, but it doesn't have the nice machining or nice beveled and contoured edges that the alloy options have.

Benson X,

Vitolo

Vaporist
SCS is a darned good grinder.
The tooth design is exceptional... Maybe this will help:
grind.gif

There is a small amount of space on Shredda.
Space Case meets closely on one contact point.
SCS meths the opposite teeth twice for each post. and is an awesome design.

SquirrelMaster

Thank you for the recommendation @Vitolo! I will check those out and try to convince myself to pony up a few more bucks for a better product.

I'm liking the SC Shredder (3-piece). Seems like exactly what I'm looking for, simple and reliable with an ample catch compartment and nice machining.

The price for for the SCS and NewVape are a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

Any experience with the SCS Hemp models? Seems like a safer alternative to plastic or acrylic and more within my budget, but it doesn't have the nice machining or nice beveled and contoured edges that the alloy options have.

@420vapezone did a good comparison video of grinders. Although the BCG is his favorite the results from the cheaper grinders is still good.

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist

@PuffItUp generally has great deals on SCS grinders and you can leverage the code 'puffedup' also (but a quick shows out of stock on the 3pc models). I've got the med and large 3pc SCS grinders and love them both. I also have the 3pc SCS hemp grinder - the grind is great, but there is no magnet to hold the lid on so it has a tendency to come apart.

Benson X

SCS is a darned good grinder.
The tooth design is exceptional... Maybe this will help:
grind.gif

There is a small amount of space on Shredda.
Space Case meets closely on one contact point.
SCS meths the opposite teeth twice for each post. and is an awesome design.
Very helpful GIF. I agree that the tooth design on the SCS seems most-efficient, with 2-points of contacts on each surface with the least risk of pulverizing the herb (versus grinding it).

@420vapezone did a good comparison video of grinders. Although the BCG is his favorite the results from the cheaper grinders is still good.

Damn - very thorough video. Took me a while to get through the whole thing (and still get some work done). I love @420vapezone's videos - I watched quite a few of his review and comparisons while researching getting into a dry-herb vaporizer. Very well done and unbiased/objective testing.
@PuffItUp generally has great deals on SCS grinders and you can leverage the code 'puffedup' also (but a quick shows out of stock on the 3pc models). I've got the med and large 3pc SCS grinders and love them both. I also have the 3pc SCS hemp grinder - the grind is great, but there is no magnet to hold the lid on so it has a tendency to come apart.
Good call - but they do seems to be sold out of the 3-piece ones.

Do you know if you can convert a 4-piece kit to a 3-piece? Just remove the kief screen and thread the collector in-place of it?

Okay - so I am sold on the SCS Grinder.

I found a site that has (all) SCS models in stock and for a great deal. It may be a pricing error on their site, but the SCS 4-Piece (Large) is priced @ $45 USD versus the SCS 3-Piece (Large) priced @ $75 USD.

Not sure why the 4-Piece is so much cheaper, but I went ahead and ordered it, since that price is about $30-$45 less than any other vendor I've found. Added a 10% code and it came to $52.50 shipped.

I guess we'll see how it works out - if I can't simply remove the kief screen, I guess I'll either start collecting kief or find a way to "persuade" the screen to come out of there.

Thank you all for the feedback, input and suggestions! :tup:

Last edited:

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
Do you know if you can convert a 4-piece kit to a 3-piece? Just remove the kief screen and thread the collector in-place of it?
I've done this to several of my grinders that are not available in native 3 pc designs. Usually with less than stellar results as the bottom of a 4 pc grinder doesn't have much in the way of sides. They belong to the screen holding 3rd piece. Sometimes the screen is removable/replacable, but never are you left with the same smooth side you would get with a true 3 pc bottom. Part of my love for the SCS stems from the availablity of native 3 pc models.

Benson X

Thank you @bizwaxzion. That makes sense about removing the screen (manually) and being left with a channel or uneven wall in-place of where it used to be. I guess I will see how it goes with the 4 pc. and either adapt to collecting the kief, or replace it with a true 3 pc. design.

Either way, this will be a good intro to a good quality grinder and determine my needs/preference a bit more.

Vitolo

Vaporist
When I am forced to use a 3 peice grinder... I twist and spin the grinder with it in orientation from side to side (in other words, angled as a tire on the ground). This keeps the herbal matter in the teeth area longer before you let it fall through the holes. (for a more efficient grind)

Benson X

When I am forced to use a 3 peice grinder... I twist and spin the grinder with it in orientation from side to side (in other words, angled as a tire on the ground). This keeps the herbal matter in the teeth area longer before you let it fall through the holes. (for a more efficient grind)
More helpful tips to keep in mind. Thank you! :)

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I found a Sunbeam S/S electric coffee grinder in the back of a bedside table at a hotel I stayed at a while back...not weed in it but it was choked with kief!
I gave it to a retired butcher friend of mine that lost a few digits to the meat grinder years ago and he really liked it..until the motor burnt out!

ginolicious

I found a Sunbeam S/S electric coffee grinder in the back of a bedside table at a hotel I stayed at a while back...not weed in it but it was choked with kief!
I gave it to a retired butcher friend of mine that lost a few digits to the meat grinder years ago and he really liked it..until the motor burnt out!

I use to use one all the time in college. It can really dust your weed. But damn. The kief that it collects is unreal. I still have it. I use it now to grind my espresso bean haha.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

I get a kick out of Troy, I believe he posts on FC now and then. After watching him with his baby microscope, now I know why his video production has dropped off the cliff........ he must be working on a cure for the virus!

SquirrelMaster

I use to use one all the time in college. It can really dust your weed. But damn. The kief that it collects is unreal. I still have it. I use it now to grind my espresso bean haha.
I use to keep one in my car many years ago and someone would have to jump out in a parking lot or wherever we were to borrow some power :ninja:. I also remember it being just caked in Kief. It died and we opened it up to find a bunch inside as well. Death by kief!

@RustyOldNail Yeah he cracks me and there's lots of good info in his videos.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have 2 Krup coffe/herb grinders...
You must just tap it once or it makes dust!
I use one to grind herbs and pepper, and the other is devoted to ABV.

I know folks that use the Krup for grinding green bud, but the blades gather quite a layer of "sticky"

Benson X

Just an update, as I know you're all on the edge of your seat to hear about my "Great Grinder Quest" 😋

The vendor I ordered from emailed me today that they only have the Green color in stock (for the Large 4-piece SCS) and asked if I wanted a refund or a different model. Normally, I wouldn't care about the color, but I asked if they have the Large 3-Piece in Grey, which they do, so he is sending that one instead. So...I'm ending up with the 3-piece grinder I wanted in the first place, but for $35 cheaper. All's well that ends well! :clap:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Nice one @Benson X , what finish did you opt for, matte or gloss?
Also, did you see the mason jar adapter, I know a few people that would like this accessory,
1596084364294.png

Benson X

Nice one @Benson X , what finish did you opt for, matte or gloss?
Also, did you see the mason jar adapter, I know a few people that would like this accessory,
View attachment 1690
Oh, well I didn't get to choose - but I'd prefer a matte finish. I guess we'll see on Monday - the anticipation builds even more!

I hadn't seen that jar adapter yet either, but that thing is pretty badass. Great idea for large volume and making use of the tried and true Mason jar. Good stuff! 👍

jbm

So pictured is a new out of the box Santa Cruz Shredder medium 3 piece. I haven’t used it. Washed with dish soap and a dishwashing brush. What are the circled marks in the lid? Are they scratches? Manufacturing imperfections? Is it safe to use, or should I try to return it?

1A6A54D0-3949-42BF-9984-20443E9DB44C.jpeg

Top Bottom